Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,811 Words
  • 2,190 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Simba - 1. Simba Ch 1

After completing my trek up to Kilimanjaro for the first time since my Tasmanian incident, I decided that although I loved being in Tanzania, that I needed to look into the future, and to do that I needed to attend University, so I decided to head back to Australia and my home state of South Australia.

I chose to do a double degree, the first a Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Conservation Biology and the second is a Bachelor of Science in Biodiversity and Conservation, in hope that I can do some good with wildlife conservation in Tanzania.

Uncle Nat was back to living off base again, and he had agreed to let me stay with him, as he along with Mum and Dad had bought a huge five bedroom house, in the suburb of Flagstaff, which backs onto a narrow bush reserve. The house is just 10 km’s from the university, and is just 14 km’s southeast of the Warradale Army Base, and includes a below ground swimming pool and a tennis court.

Although I was a late entry to apply to attend Flinders University, I was accepted and I spent the three weeks since arriving back in Australia getting prepared, for my first semester of university studies. I was also still making the twice-weekly calls to my parents in Canada, but now instead of calling Uncle Nat in Australia, I was calling Afya in Tanzania.

For the first year, I studied hard, and Uncle Nat and I would go out for day long hiked on the weekends when he was able to get a day off from work at the base. Although it was not the big trips, that we used to take, I still enjoyed the physical challenge each time we went out hiking.

With the first day of my second year of University studies being Orientation day, I was walking around the campus, when I heard a high-pitched whistle. Everyone that was looking around to see who had made the sound, and not seeing anyone I knew I kept walking, until suddenly two lads started walking on either side of me, and I stopped.

I was about to say something, when I realised that the two lads were Will Hammond and Chris Harding, “Hello stranger, welcome back to Australia,” Chris said to me. “Hey guys, good to see you both, and thanks, I have only been back for three weeks, are you attending Uni here too?” I replied happily.

“Yes, I am studying a double bachelors in Science, Coasts and Oceans and Marine Biology,” Will replied, “I am studying Doctor of Veterinary Surgery, what about you?” Chris responded, “I am in my second year of doing a double bachelors, one in Science with Biodiversity and Conservation and the second in Science with Wildlife Conservation Biology,” I answered.

I was informed that both of them were still living at home, as they could not afford to rent as well as travel the long distance to the Campus, and I thought about our huge house, and decided to ask Uncle Nathan about it when he gets home from work.

With Uncle Nat having the Master Bedroom and private ensuite on the main level, along with the kitchen & meals room, formal dining room, laundry, study and family room, the remaining three bedrooms and two bathrooms plus store room, theatre lounge and large study area, are located on the upper floor.

Plenty of space for me and my two good friends, and I already have the larger bedroom, which has a bay window, wardrobe, and private ensuite bathroom, while the other two bedrooms have built in wardrobes, and they share a bathroom.

After having a good look around the campus, now knowing where our lectures will be held and where all the important buildings are located, including the library and cafeteria are located, I invited my friends to my place to relax for the rest of the day, since we had done what we needed to do.

It was just a short drive in my uncles borrowed car, as he often uses an Army vehicle to get to and from work theses days, “Wow, this is your parent’s place?” Chris asked as we approached the house, “Yes and Uncle Nat’s too, it is an awesome house, Uncle Nat has his own area, and I have mind upstairs,” I replied, as I parked in the driveway and we walked to the front door.

“Hey Uncle Nat, I didn’t expect you home so early, you remember my friends Chris Harding and Will Hammond,” I said when I saw my Uncle in the sitting in the main lounge looking at a cookbook. “Yes, I do, hello boys, or maybe that should be young men now,” Uncle Nat said smiling.

“Hello sir, good to see you again,” Chris said and Will just nodded in agreement with what Chris said, “Uncle this is just an idea, but how would you feel about having two university students as boarders?” I asked my uncle, “I presume, you are meaning these two scoundrels?” Uncle Nat responded, and I smiled.

“I’m not sure about that, but yes I mean Chris and Will, as they are both living at home, and having to catch public transport to Flinders Uni,” I replied, “Really, that would be awesome if we could stay here,” Chris said. “Maybe you had better show them around the house first, and after we can sit down and discuss it,” Uncle Nat suggested.

“Well, as you see this is the main living room, and billiards room, and around the corner we have the meals area and the kitchen,” I said starting the tour of the house. “Back through that door is the double garage, and around the back here is the master bedroom, Uncle Nat’s domain,” I continued.

“Wow what a nice view of the bush reserve, hey is that pool and tennis court part of this property?” Will asked, and I chuckled, “Yes it is, but I haven’t had a chance to clean the pool yet, one of my jobs to be done before the end of the week,” I replied, as I led the way around towards the front of the house again.

“Small store room, laundry, and Uncle Nat’s Study, that is it for this level if we head upstairs…” I said and I led the way up the stairs. “Here we have a store room, your shared bathroom, and this is the theatre lounge, also with some great views of out the back. My room is at the end on the right, while the other two bedrooms are on the left, and leading off both bedrooms, is a large study room, or games room, which ever you want to do with it,” I said to my friends.

“How far is it to the campus from here?” Will asked, “Well it is 3 kilometres by road the way we came here, but if you are walking or riding a bike it is 2 kilometres cutting through the reserve, 25 minutes walking or less than ten minutes by bike,” I replied.

When we sat down in the lounge, I waited for Uncle Nat to stop reading, “Same rules as for me?” I asked my uncle, “As long as your parents approve of you living here, closer to the uni campus, yes same rules, keep your living areas clean and tidy, you do your own laundry, and you will be given chores to do out in the garden,” Uncle Nat said

“We have a housekeeper who comes here four days a week, to clean all the living areas, and bathrooms, only if there is now clothes scattered all over, otherwise we have to clean them, and she also cooks dinner for us, while the other days we have to take it in turns to cook. Semester timetables must be posted behind the bar, so Uncle Nat and Mrs Fogliani, know when we are home for dinner, which is served at 6.30 pm sharp,” I added.

The lads both agreed to these terms, and to the board that they will be charged, for living with us, pending approval from their folks. With that out of the way, I led the lads outside to explore the back garden, pool and tennis court.

At Will’s suggestion, we pitched in and started to clean the swimming pool, removing all the leaves and emptying out the catch basket, before starting to vacuum the pool and sweep the sides. Together we had the job completed in about an hour, and after I had tested the water, and applied the right amount of chlorine, we left the pump running to get the water properly treated, and after the lads said goodbye, I drove them back to their homes.

The following morning, I was too worried about for first day of lectures, and had almost forgotten about Will and Chris, until they came rushing towards me, which at first caught me by surprise to until l realised who it was. “Good morning your scoundrels,” I said to them, and both of the lads laughed.

“Good morning, too you as well, I have chatted to my parents, and they are very happy for me to stay with you and your Uncle Nathan, closer to the campus,” Chris said to me. “Same goes for me, my folks are just as pleased, so when can we move in?” Will added, “Maybe leave it until we have got the first week of lectures out of the way, as we will have the weekend to move your gear,” I suggested.

We agreed to meet up again during the lunch break, before we headed off in different directs to our first lectures for the semester and year. At first, I found it hard to concentrate with a two-hour long lecture, with just a short break in the middle, but after the second one, I was starting to get into a steady rhythm of taking notes, and listening carefully to the lecturer.

When the second lecture ended, it was just after 12.30, so I dashed towards the outdoor area outside the cafeteria, where Chris and Will were waiting for me. “Hey guys, how did your first lecture go?” I asked, and both Will and Chris complained that their first lecture was long and tiring.

“When I informed them that I had just finished my second lecture, they were surprised, until I reminded them that I am doing a double degree, which means nearly double the amount of lectures for my first year of studies.

“While both of them only had two lectures today, I had three plus a study group to do before the end of my day comes to a close, then I have to ride my new bike back home, as Uncle Nat needed his car for doing a few other things today.

The first week was brutal, and I wondered how I was going to get through four years of University studies, as I struggled with reviewing my lecture notes, and commencing work on the first of my assignments for the semester. When I went to bed on Friday night, I was looking forward to a good sleep in, the next day, but that was cut short by two things, Mrs Fogliani vacuuming downstairs and someone ringing the doorbell many times, until it was answered.

“Simba, come downstairs please, your friends have arrived and need some help,” Uncle Nat called up the stairs, and groaning, I dragged myself out of bed and after washing my face, and taking a leak, I dressed and headed downstairs, where I found Dr Harding and Colonel Hammond talking to Uncle Nat.

“Here he is at last, I think the University studies is taking a bit longer for him to adjust to, compared to roaming the outback of Tanzania with wild animals,” Uncle Nat said to our visitors, “He did what!” exclaimed Colonel Hammond, “Didn’t I tell you dad? My friend here is famous, he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, earlier this year,” Will said, as he entered with a suitcase in one hand and a tennis racquet in the other.

“Yes, my nephew has achieved quite a lot in his young years. He and I have climbed quite a few mountains over a six-year period, starting when he was just twelve years old. My brother and sister-in-law have a family home at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro, where young Jacob spent the first five years of his life,” Uncle Nathan explained.

“St Mary’s Peak, in the flinders Ranges here in South Australia was the first one I climbed, and the following year I climbed three mountains in Australia, the two tallest ones in Western Australia, and Mount Ossa in Tasmania,” I added.

“Wow; that is very impressive young man, what else have you climbed?” Colonel Hammond asked me, “Well at 14, I climbed Mount Woodroffe, in the north of this state, close to the NT border, and that is the tallest in South Australia, and extremely remote and I walked around Uluru on that same year,” I replied.

“Yes, we concentrated on the mountains in Australia for the first three years, and when he was 15, we did one of the most difficult treks and climbs, up to the top of Mount Cook, on the South Island of New Zealand, and later that year we also reached the top of Mount Kosciusko,” Uncle Nat said.

“Well I think all of those are quite an achievement young man, I bet your parents are very proud of you,” Colonel Hammond said to me, “Yes sir they are, unfortunately I cannot do any difficult trips any more, and the ones I can do, I need to have at least two people with me,” I replied.

“Why is that?” Colonel Hammond asked just as Chris approached and heard what was being said, and with his hockey stick, he gave it a big swing and hit my artificial foot, with a clunk, and all I did was smile. “As demonstrated by my cheeky friend here, I have an artificial foot, due to an injury I received when hiking along a Tasmania forest tracks,” I stated.

“Oh you mean the trip that you and Will took and he had a dislocated shoulder?” Colonel Hammond asked, “That is correct sir, it turned out that my injury was a lot more serious than what was first thought, and it had to be removed, so no more high risk mountain climbing is possible,” I replied.

“I am sorry to hear that, William here did not tell me that you injury was worse than his,” Colonel Hammond said, “That is fine sir, I have achieved a lot more than I every dreamed of achieving, and I can still climb my favourite mountain, which is the important thing,” I replied.

“That would be Mount Kilimanjaro, which he has climbed four times now,” Uncle Nat added, “except the first time was on the back of Mum’s back, when I was almost two years old,” I said. Uncle Nat chuckled at the added comment of mine and smiled.

“That is not his greatest achievements in mountain climbing, the following year at the age of 16, we both tackled the Kokoda Trail and climbed PNG’s tallest peak of Mount Bellamy, which is quite a task considering the tropical conditions there.

In winter, we climbed Queensland’s tallest peak, and in the spring that same year we climbed the most difficult of all treks, 5,600 metres to the Everest Base camp,” Uncle Nat announced proudly. “’Wow; now that is one thing, I thought would be almost impossible to achieve,” Colonel Hammond responded.

“Yes sir, it was a very difficult trek, which took a lot of work to get acclimatised to get there, but the tallest mountain I have climbed is actually the one I have climbed the most, Kilimanjaro. Which is 385 metres higher than Everest base Camp,” I replied.

“My nephew’s final three climbs were also quite difficult. Thunder Mountain in NW Canada, although not as high it was quite a difficult climb, also Mount Kenya, in Africa and finally the Matterhorn in Switzerland,” Uncle Nathan said. “Ok Uncle, stop the bragging of my achievements, and let us get my friends settled into their new digs,” I said as I passed by and headed upstairs.

After Colonel Hammond and Dr Harding had left, I helped my friends to be settled in, before we went outside to have a few games of tennis, followed by a swim in the now very clean pool. It was having my friends staying at the same place, and with the help of uncle Nat, we set up a long desk in the study area upstairs, so all three of us could study together, with all of us having our own lap top computers.

Copyright August 2020 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 19
  • Love 8
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome start to the new story. Great to be back with Jacob, Will and Chris for more adventures. Can't wait to see what you have planned for the three of them.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I believe that this story is going to be as good as the first one. I’m glad that Chris & Will are going to be living in Jacob’s family home with him and his uncle since they’re all attending the same university. Jacob has a tough road to get down with double bachelor degrees in science with biodiversity and conservation and science with wildlife conservation biology. He’s just the guy who will get it done. Thanks for the great start to the new story.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I am wondering when something will happen such that Jacob and Uncle Nat will have to again use their Level Three Security Clearance.  You are very good, Preston, at slipping in surprises.
But, perhaps, the surprise might be that in this adventure they DON'T have to use their security clearance.  I am sure it will be a good story either way. 

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I noticed that in this story, Will's dad was addressed as Dr. Hammond, he was Col. in the Army in the previous story.  Chris's dad was addressed as Mr Harding instead of Dr. Harding or Reverend Harding.  Was this an over-cite or intentional change in professions.  

  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, soundtechmc said:

I noticed that in this story, Will's dad was addressed as Dr. Hammond, he was Col. in the Army in the previous story.  Chris's dad was addressed as Mr Harding instead of Dr. Harding or Reverend Harding.  Was this an over-cite or intentional change in professions.  

Let me check that, maybe I have accidentally mixed them around., thanks for letting me know.

Corrections have been made. Thanks

Q

Edited by quokka
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Awesome chapter and start to the story. I like that Jacob is reunited with two friends who are attending the same university as he is. When he heard about them still living at home as they couldn’t afford to live elsewhere and still attend the university. Jacob came up with the idea of asking his uncle for permission for Willl and Chris to live with them and pay for the boarding as well as keeping their areas clean and doing chores outside. After the first week of lectures the guys show up with their parents and then they find out about all of the accomplishments that Jacob has as well as finding out that he has an artificial foot so he can’t do any more climbing of mountains. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..