Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,718 Words
  • 1,103 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Travelling Vets - 16. TV Chapter 16

When we arrived there, about two hours later than planned, due to having two tyre punctures, we saw that the station has a well laid out caravan park, and we booked in for one night and were shown where to set up our camp for our stay. We stayed at our camp that evening, deciding to explore a little before we leave in the morning, and a few people passed by our camp to look at the bus, but we remained inside, with the door closed, so as not to be disturbed by anyone.

In the middle of the night, at around 3 am, my mobile began to vibrate with an alarm, I was about to reach over and shut it off and go back to sleep when I saw all the lights on the outside and realised that the alarm on my mobile was the silent alarm for the trailer, and I jumped out of bed, and grabbing the jeans I wore the day before, I shucked them on and raced down the passage and downstairs.

Flicking on light switches on the way, including the external lights for outside the main door of the bus, before grabbing the high beam torch and cautiously opening the door, as I heard Marcus come down the stairs. “What is the problem? Was that the trailer alarm going off?” my husband asked me. “Yes, it appears that maybe our bus and trailer are a little too well known,” as we heard a distant vehicle starting up ad racing away into the darkness.

With the trailer still attached to the bus, we cautiously checked the surroundings before having a closer look at the trailer, where we saw some damage caused by attempts to jimmy open the large back door of the trailer. Opening up the side door to the trailer, I punched in the code to reset the alarm, before checking that nothing inside was damaged, and everything was in place.

“With the trailer closed up, locked and the alarm reset, we were discussing the issue, when we heard approaching footsteps. “Good Evening, is there a problem here?” the caravan park caretaker asked us. “Yes, someone attempted to break into our trailer. Luckily we have a silent alarm system installed, as we sometimes carry veterinary drugs in the fridge inside, which is not the case at the moment,” I replied, stretching the truth a little, as the vet drugs are stored in a bar fridge in the upstairs office, and we did have some in the fridge.

“Oh, you are those travelling vets, who worked at the station across the border with that recent outbreak,” the caretaker asked, “That is correct, but all remaining drugs and vaccinations remained at that station when we left, as they were specially flown in for that, and we are on holidays,” Marcus responded. “Oh, I see, well has there been any damage? Do I need to call the station managers in?” the caretaker asked.

“No, we have checked everything and relocked up and set the alarm again, so all is fine and we are heading back to bed,” I replied. Once the caretaker had left, we shut off the external lights and headed back into the bus and locked up. “I don’t like that bloke, he seems a bit dodgy for my liking,” Marcus said to me. “I agree with that, I think we should have a very early start in the morning. I am going to stay up for an hour and make sure nothing else happens, you go and get some sleep,” I replied.

After a quick kiss on the lips, Marcus headed upstairs, while I settled on the lounge and began to read a book, with a small light on to be able to read, but not enough to be seen from outside, and I was still reading when Marcus came downstairs, and put on the kettle for a cuppa, and looking up I realised that daylight was only just visible. “Good morning, sweetness.

It appears that I stayed up for the whole… three hours remaining of the night,” I said, as Marcus chuckled, kissed me, before heading back upstairs, and I soon heard the shower running. Standing up, I stretched and opened the door to let in some cool morning air, and I stepped down, and walked around the bus and trailer to have a closer look at how bad the damage was.

Although there was some bending of the door frame, I knew that they would not have been able to open the rear door that way, as there are two bolts on the inside as well as the lock on the outside, that need to be released to get the rear door open. Back inside, I made a pot of tea and put on some toast, which was ready when Marcus reappeared, showered and dressed, ready for a new day.

Luckily we had refuelled the bus and dumped out sewage waste before we had settled into our campsite, so once we had our light breakfast, I went out and checked the oil and water in the engine compartment, and Marcus had gone to check on the boys before he came down and warmed up the bus engine, so we could get going.

I was pleased that we were back on the road again, and for the next eight hours, Marcus and I took two-hour shifts of driving, stopping only to change over drivers, and also once for a lunch break, and to all four of us to stretch our legs for a while. We had earlier decided to travel as long as possible today, and we selected a river crossing to set up camp for the night, on a dirt track well away from the highway and hidden behind a grove of trees, so no one would be able to spot us from the highway.

Keeping our light levels down to a bare minimum, so we wouldn’t be seen, we were all very tired by the time we had stopped, and after some dinner and showers, we all retired to bed early, especially since we wanted another early start in the morning. Our next stop would be at the next river crossing, which is where Jervois Station homestead is located, where we would be refuelling again, which was only a three-hour drive from our overnight stop, so we would be arriving mid-morning there.

While I was refuelling, the boys were taking a walk and looking around, I was checking the oil and water on the bus, and all of the tyres for the bus and trailer, as the last two days we had been travelling on a very rough section of the highway. We were just about to all load up and head off again, when a lady came running up t the bus from the direction of the homestead.

“Hello Dr Kendrik and Dr Sanderson, I am glad that I caught you. I am Sheila Anderson, the station co-owner, I have an urgent message from our neighbours down the road a little way. They are asking if you can call in there and check on some stock for them, please. We have all heard about the wonderful work that you did at Glenormiston Station across the border, and we are all so thankful that you were able to put a stop to that outbreak so quickly.

Anyway, the owners of Huckitta Station, which is about four hours down the road on your right, and just 1.5 kilometres off the highway, would like you to stop and visit them please,” the lady said to us, and I heard Marcus quietly groan, while I smiled to the lady. “Sure, just let them know that we are on our way and that we will be there no later than 2 pm this afternoon,” I replied before the lady handed us $100 in cash.

“Let’s just call this a district discount on your fuel for what you have done with our thanks, and we are sorry to hear that you had an attempted break into your trailer at your last overnight stop,” she said to me as I accepted the money and smiled before thanking her for their hospitality and service. “Well, that was a nice surprise,” Marcus said as I handed him the money, while I climbed into the driver’s seat and we set off for our next destination.

The visit to Huckitta Station was short and required just a consultation about the livestock, and a quick health check of the station work dogs, and they all seemed to be good and healthy, apart from needing a good dose of Worming medicine, and we were given a $175 payment for our short work. We stayed there overnight, and were treated to a home-cooked meal, roast beef with all the trimmings, which everyone enjoyed.

We were asked to call into Mount Riddock Station, which is a further 85 kilometres down the highway, and just three kilometres from the homestead to the highway, where once again we were asked to do health checks on the station work dogs, and once again we were given $175 for the work, plus given free fuel for the bus.

Five hours later, as it neared sunset, with the sun in our eyes as we drove west, we arrived at the corner of the Stuart Highway, and finally sealed roads again, which meant no more corrugated gravel roads to deal with, which we were all pleased about, having travelled over 750 kilometres since leaving the sealed roads at Boulia, and 1,745 kilometres since leaving Tambourine, Queensland.

Turning right to head north, we decided to keep driving for a while longer, since we were now on a bitumen road, and can travel at a much faster speed of 100 km/h, compared to the average 70 km/h that we had been travelling for the past two weeks. We continued for over two hours, and now starting to feel tired, we began to look for a place to camp for the night, when we spotted a sign saying WW11 Barrow Creek in the Ochre Brown colour, which signified that it was a historical site, and we slowed down and turned right down the gravel track and through an open gateway.

Copyright March 2023 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 11
  • Love 19
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The whole episode with the attempted break-in seems to be, with the assistance of the caretaker, more than a bit dodgy and good thing they left when they did...

Looks as if there will be plenty of veterinary calls by the boys as news seems to be traveling faster than they are!!!

Another wonderful chapter and the historical sign tweaked my interest and a chance to learn a bit more...Thanks Quoka!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow_Creek,_Northern_Territory

  • Love 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

When they had two tires flat in the previous chapter, I haven't seen anything about them being repaired or replaced yet with new.  Of course, that could have happened "off screen," so to speak.  They did have more than one spare, I recall from previous chapter.

@quokka do most cattle stations in Western Australia have air strips nearby?

Another good chapter.

Yes, some even have two airfields, one for station use, the other for the RFDS, which has to be kept at a high standard of good repair.

Because of the remoteness of a majority of sheep and cattle stations, airfields are in regularly used for air mustering, as well as mail and basic supplies deliveries, especially during the ‘Wet season’ when access roads are shut down.

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, quokka said:

Yes, some even have two airfields, one for station use, the other for the RFDS, which has to be kept at a high standard of good repair.

Because of the remoteness of a majority of sheep and cattle stations, airfields are in regularly used for air mustering, as well as mail and basic supplies deliveries, especially during the ‘Wet season’ when access roads are shut down.

RFDS -- is that the Royal Flying Doctor Service?   And I am also guessing that that the airstrips are "hardened" or strengthened against the potentially damaging effects of the wet season.  Possibly, they are even elevated slightly so they don't get flooded?  

@quokka -- for those of us who do not live in Australia, you also stimulate us to read more about Australia and sometimes New Zealand as well.  Thank you.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

RFDS -- is that the Royal Flying Doctor Service?   And I am also guessing that that the airstrips are "hardened" or strengthened against the potentially damaging effects of the wet season.  Possibly, they are even elevated slightly so they don't get flooded?  

@quokka -- for those of us who do not live in Australia, you also stimulate us to read more about Australia and sometimes New Zealand as well.  Thank you.

RFDS - Royal Flying Ducks Service... Just kidding it is Doctor Service... lol.

Airfield is often further away from the station airstrip and yes in an area where it is less prone to weather damage, and often fenced off to keep stock out too.

  • Love 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

"We interrupt this for an important message from ..."  Consulate Boy

If Travelling Vets was all about equine stock, I'd be tempted to say something about "changing horses in midstream", but it's not, so this just a rest break? Or have Flying Doctors (Vets) become a Circus?

monty python GIF

😉   😉  👉🏼  👉🏼 

   :whistle:

Or perhaps better to channel my inner Oliver and say:       I Want More GIF

*sometimes 'humour' is just a 6-letter, 11 point Scrabble word.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

@Quokka, I like it when an author has more than one story going at the same time.  Only a few authors can do that with success.  You are one of four authors that I know can do that.

Please, at some time in the future, consider continuing your Deep Space series.

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..