Jump to content
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,788 Words
  • 1,246 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Travelling Vets - 12. TV Chapter 12

“Yes, Bill and Grace, and I know all about the Double Decker. You are welcome to park where you are for the night, and feel free to enjoy a meal and a drink or two,” the lady said. “Well, that is a much better reception than what we received down the road,” I commented, “Do you mean the Thunder Park? They are a bunch of idiots to reject you, plus they are new to the region, so I doubt if they will survive in business for long if that is their attitude,” the lady said to us, which cheered me up.

We had a very enjoyable dinner, with live music that made the evening more relaxing, and I was now starting to realise that this is what I needed, a holiday with my loved ones, well away from my responsibilities, and with no set destination in mind. We ended up staying for two nights at this hotel, and during the day, we had a good look around the district, having kept the small Jeep as part of the sale deal, which gave us a vehicle to go and explore places.

Now that we would not be making the big changes to the trailer, we didn’t need to downgrade without a vehicle, but Marcus and I did look at adding another shelving and bench space, with a one-metre space between it and the laundry cupboards, which gave us the additional workspace for vet purposes if need be. The one-metre-long cupboard and bench space, include narrow access on both sides, with a fold-down bench from each wall, to make the work area the full 2.45 metres long, yet still, allow access to the vehicle from the front area.

We decided that we might as well start heading west back towards home, but at a leisurely pace, as we were not in any rush to get home, so we started to plan our journey home and decided to take a few risks and take some of the more out of the way roads. From Tambourine, we saw on the map that we needed to head north first, so our next destination was Waterford, a southwest suburb of Brisbane, and only a half-hour drive away, where we would stock up on extra supplies for our long journey home, and this included, having an additional diesel fuel tank added to the front of the trailer, and with a two-inch separation, a freshwater tank was added above it.

We managed to arrange to stay at a nearby Showgrounds Caravan Park, where there is plenty of space for the bus and trailer, and we used the Jeep to get all of our shopping done. We added two extra spare wheels for the bus, as well as for the jeep and the trailer, plus additional engine parts, like fan belts, a spare radiator, a full tool kit, shock absorber springs, spark plugs, windscreen wiper blades, and anything else that we could think of that we needed. We had the Bus and the Jeep fully serviced, and we purchased a few spare parts for the Jeep as well.

In addition to all of that, we purchased a satellite telephone for emergencies, and we had UHF radios installed in the Jeep, Trailer and Bus, plus we had two additional portable radios also, as well as stocking up on some additional veterinary supplies, including the basics needed in the way of vet drugs, which would stay locked up in the small fridge and lock cupboard under the new workbench in the trailer.

After some thought and discussions, we decided that we would avoid caravan parks as much as possible due to the size of our mobile home, and the difficulties that we may have gotten in and out of a place and turning around, so we began looking at alternatives, like farm stays, roadhouse overnight parking and 24-hour highway parking bays, since we are fully self-sufficient, including having solar panels that cover 50% of our roof, which keeps our batteries well charged up.

We only need to top up the water when we pass through a town every four or five days and do a sewage dump every third day and a grey water dump every second day, and after three days of shopping and making the changes we needed, as set our next destination to be Toowoomba, which is a distance of 140 kilometres which would take us about two hours to complete the journey at a steady pace, having decided that if we stick to between 90 and 100 km/h, we should do ok, with conserving fuel.

The showgrounds caravan park in Toowoomba is a little way out of central town, which was fine with us, as we would be staying for only a day to resupply with water, fuel and food supplies, plus to dump our wastewater and sewage. After an overnight stop there we decided to make our way home, we needed to take the Donahue Highway from Boulia to the Queensland / Northern Territory border, where the road becomes the Plenty Highway, which will take us to Alice Springs. To get to Boulia we first had to get to Roma, where we would have to continue on the Warrego Highway through Dalby, Chinchilla, Miles, Yuleba, and Wallumbilla until we reach the outback town of Roma.

This alone would be a 350-kilometre journey, and Marcus and I would change over, after driving 200 kilometres, so we both didn’t get too tired from driving. With Roma to be the second last major town that we would be travelling through, we stocked up on fuel, water, and food, as well as got rid of our waste. From Roma, it is a 700-kilometre journey northwest to Longreach. We were often concerned in regards to the height of overhead power lines and this often had us having to change directions regarding where we could travel through towns, this came clear, when we arrived in Roma.

Like all towns that we approach, since we left Tamborine, we have had the boys stationed in the master bedroom, and at the stairs, to watch and warn us if a power line is too close to the top of the bus. Although we are 4.25 metres high, and the standard minimum height of power lines is 4.5 metres, we have had to make a few diversions in smaller towns, are the power lines were too low.

Now with handheld radios, both boys sat in the master bedroom, to stay watch for low power lines, and they would warn whoever is driving of low power lines approaching. Often, we would just stop and assess the situation and work out if we had clearance or not, and decided from there if we continue or divert. When we arrived in Roma, I was concerned with what I saw ahead, and Marcus grabbed a hand-held UHF radio and asked me to stop, and he would walk ahead for the whole way through town.

Travelling at a slow 5 kilometres per hour, I slowly followed Marcus, and as we crossed another street slowly, I looked back and saw a hardware store on the side street, so I pulled over. “Marcus, let's see if we can get an aluminium pole that is 4 metres long, and you better get some thick rubber gloves too,” I said into the radio. “Good idea, I will be right back,” Marcus replied, as he crossed the street and headed for the hardware store, returning ten minutes later with all we needed, plus a few other items.

Releasing the back door of the trailer, Marcus reversed out the jeep and parked it behind the trailer, before closing the back door again, he then went to the side of the bus and opened a storage locker and retrieved several tools, as I climbed out of the bus to see what Marcus had planned to do, and I smiled when I saw that he was installing a bracket to the roof rack of the jeep, that will hold the pole in place, with it been secured 25 cm above the ground, so the pole is level in height with the top of the bus.

I noticed that the top of the pole had already been painted a bright fluorescent orange colour, so the top can be easily seen from the ground. Once fixed in place, Marcus jumped into the driver seat of the jeep, with Langley seated in the passenger seat and they set off ahead of the bus slowly, with Ryley keeping an eye on the top of the pole when we approached power lines, but thankfully we managed to clear them all, but there were a few very close calls at some points.

Once out on the western side of town, we pulled over, to take the pole down and secure it onto the roof rack of the trailer, before putting the jeep away again. “Good afternoon,” a voice said as we were finishing putting the jeep away, and the boys had returned inside the bus, and the voice made both of us jump. “How may we assist you, officer?” Marcus asked when we both realised that a police car was parked nearby.

“Very ingenious idea you have there, to make sure you don’t wipe out the town’s power supply. I was watching you from a distance when your idea caught my attention,” the police officer said to us. “Is it wrong what we did?” I asked with concern, wondering if we were in deep trouble or not.

“A little dangerous, but I see you have taken precautions, but I suggest that with other towns that you approach ahead, you have the police assist you, ensuring that you will have enough clearance. What is the total height of your double-decker bus?” the officer replied. “It is 4.25 metres sir, and we believe that power lines are supposed to be at a minimum height of 4.5 metres, but we have come across a few places where it isn’t and have had to go around the edge of town instead of sticking to the main road,” I replied.

“Ok, where are you heading and which way are you going?” the officer asked us. “Home to Western Australia, and we want to continue on the Warrego Highway and Landsborough Highway northwest to Boulia and eventually take the Donohue Highway and Plenty Highway to Alice Springs is the route we are planning to go,” Marcus replied. “I see, well I will notify the police stations at Mitchell, Morven, Augathella, Blackall, and Balcadine, where you need to take left at the junction, and finally Longreach, where they will give you further instructions,” the officer said to us.

Copyright March 2023 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 16
  • Love 14
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What's the old adage??? "Prior proper planning prevents..."

What a fantastic idea to use the jeep with the pole to ensure safe passage thru some of the small towns!!!

Gotta love the helpful police officer as well!!

That bus you used for the story cover looks like a interesting ride!!

Edited by drsawzall
  • Love 5
Link to comment

Thank You Fine Sir for Another Interesting Chapter ,The Vet Doctors Series Would Make A Very Entertaining Tv Series as Well . This Latest Adventure with The Troubles of Low Power Lines I Have Seen in The PNW Motor Home Clubs ,They Did Exactly as The Good Doctor Did With an Aluminum Pole / Gloves/ Rubber Boots . I Look Forward To The Next Installment of Our Vet Family 👨‍👨‍👦‍👦🐫🦘🌞📖

Edited by JohnnyC
  • Love 5
Link to comment

I have heard several versions of "Prior proper planning prevents...."  Some I have heard to complete the phrase include --

A. Poor performance.
B. Pregnancy.
C. Parenthood.
D. Poverty.
E. Problems.
F. Pissed-off people.
G. Paperwork.

I am sure many others could apply.  Perhaps, @drsawzall, you might be aware other endings to the adage?  The helpful police officer reminds me of stories I have heard here in the United States (before I had to retire for health reasons) about how helpful and practical so many people in Australia are toward strangers as well as each other.  I heard many positive stories.

Really good chapter, @quokka

 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Loving how they turned something negative into a pleasant adventure. Love the picture of the coach. Don’t know that we could get something like that here in the US. I know my husband would love something like it.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The contract with the Rodeo organizers for 10 months of Vet services and "all expenses" will be enforceable, which is why Jex, Marcus, Jex's mum as owner of the Stations etc., have lawyers (if not on retainer than most certainly available via phone, fax and internet). Plus, Jex's ADF (military) connections will be of assistance in getting full compensation, reimbursement for the RV / Motorcoach & mobile clinic. Time to rope and hog-tie the Rodeo owners.

In the meantime, Jex, Marcus and the boys have more bonding time.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..