Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,090 Words
  • 2,839 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unexpected Journey - 5. UJ Chapter 5

When we arrived at our hotel, which was in the countryside, Mum gave the driver an extra £50 for a tip and thanked the driver for his assistance. Located on a smaller highway, about 5 kilometres out of Slough, the hotel is located on a huge area of landscaped gardens and light woods.

Mum had chosen well, with finding a retreat for us to relax after what we had all been through, and we spent an hour exploring the huge grounds outside, before coming inside as it became quite cool. Mum stated that she had originally planned for us to stay for 6 days, but with what had happened in St Petersburg and on the plane, heading for Helsinki, she announced that we would be trying something a little different.

“I have decided we need to get away from everything for a while and stay away from crowded areas, so how would you boys like to do a narrowboat canal holiday?’ Mum announced to us at dinner time that night. I looked at Curtis, who looked tired, and he gave a small smile and a nod of his head.

“Sounds great mum, but can we leave it for a few days” I replied.

“Yes, I have managed to secure a booking for four days’ time, so that you can relax a little, and we have a train ride to Edinburgh, were we will begin our 7 day canal holiday to Glasgow, they were reluctant to allow the booking due to it being at the start of Winter, but I ensured them that we had two experienced sailors in the group” Mum announced.

I smiled when I heard this, “but it will be fairly cold at this time of the year, especially with it being in Scotland, is that a good idea?” I asked.

“Remote, and offseason, the best time to go” Mum replied.

It turned out to be the best holiday ever. Yes, we were regularly cold, as we took it in turns skippering the 4-berth canal boat, but we saw some magnificent sights from Edinburgh to Glasgow, and we had some enjoyable meals in Scottish pubs.

When we had let the canal boat, I felt sad, as I had enjoyed the short canal holiday very much, as we headed to Glasgow airport, where Mum announced that we had a late afternoon flight to Rome, that will be just two hours long, followed by a 12 hour flight to Singapore, early the next morning, so as to avoid any clashes with the media at Heathrow.

“Mum, what day is it?’ I asked as I had lost track of the days since boarding the canal boat and forgetting all about the dramas that we had been through.

“It’s the 19th dear, that is why we have to rush back, or we won’t get home in time for Christmas” Mum replied to me with a smile.

“Wow, I didn’t realise how late in December it is, no wonder it was so damn cold in Scotland. How long are we going to be in Singapore for?” I responded.

“Just two days, we head for home on the 23rd from Singapore” Mum replied, and I wondered how Mum had replied, as it sounded like she had something else planned, but I was not sure what it was. On the flight to Rome, Mum was sitting between Curtis and me, and when I saw that my friend was sleeping, I leaned in close to Mum,

“Ok, Mum, spit it out, what else have you got planned for us, this late in the trip?” I asked and she smiled at me and kissed me on the cheek.

“Just wait and see dear, I have a special surprise waiting for Curtis, when we arrive in Singapore” Mum replied, and my eyes went wide in surprise, “You flew Mr & Mrs Kingsley to Singapore?” I whispered as I glanced over to see if Curtis was still asleep, pleased that he had his headphones on so he couldn’t hear us talking.

Mum smiled and nodded her head yes, “Your great uncle gave us plenty of spending money for this journey, so I thought it would be nice to share it out a little. Hugh and Grace, were very surprised when a registered letter arrived with tickets and accommodation for 4 days in Singapore.

They called me right away and thanked us for such a wonderful gift. They arrive two days before us, so they can have a good look around before we arrive there, so we can spend 2 days together before we set off for home” Mum replied.

“Set off, it sounds like we are not flying home, what else are you not telling me?” I asked, and Mum retrieved a large envelope from her hand luggage and passed it to me.

“To Mr Matias J Madsen. To be opened only when the conditions have been met” the front of the letter said in very fancy handwriting, and I turned the envelope over and broke the seal on it, and pulled out a three-page document, and carefully opened it.

“I Jakob Matias Madsen, hereby decree this to be my last wish. To my main beneficiary, my great nephew – Matias J Madsen of Western Australia, having completed the required condition for inheriting the bulk of my property, I pass onto you the following; The 34 metres long Schooner named Eldorado, having completed its last tourist day trip in Norway, is being transported to Singapore, where my Great nephew will take over ownership of the said schooner.

The captain, his wife – the ships chef, the engineer, the bosun and the chief steward have expressed an interest in continuing working on the Eldorado, and will rejoin the ship when it arrives in Singapore, after a month-long paid holiday”.

I stared at the document for a few moments then looked up to Mum, who smiled and nodded her head to confirm, that this is all really happening. “Holy Shit Mum, this is amazing, the Eldorado is mine?” I whispered.

“Yes dear, and watch your language please” Mum replied.

“Oops, sorry” I responded as I continued to read. “Lot 3, Ocean Reef Marina, until 5 years ago, it was a 3.54-acre, vacant block of freehold land, located between the Ocean Reef Sea Sports Social Club and the Ocean Reef Boat Harbour.

The property now contains an 50m long by 20m wide by 7m high shed, and a residence behind it, with a 2-metre high, post and rail fencing along the North, South and East boundaries, and a concrete ramp down to the waters edge, and a solid 40-metre long and 3-metre wide jetty on the lower side of the Groyne.

Lot 5, Ocean Reef Marina, a 24.46-acre coastal block of freehold land, directly behind and across the road from Lot 3, the Ocean Reef Sea Sports Social Club and the public carpark, set aside, so that it will remain a natural coast strip, to prevent any development on that land.

Lastly, an operational fund of $125,000 Australian, per year for 5 years, to cover all maintenance, council rates, taxes and insurance, to keep the Schooner Eldorado well maintained and operational for years to come.

If this can be achieved, a further $145,000 Australian per year, will be made available for a further 10 years to cover all maintenance, council rates, taxes and insurance for that time”.

I stared at the document for what seemed like ages, until I noticed Curtis starting to wake up, so I quickly passed the document and envelope back to Mum for safe keeping. Taking off his headphone, he looked out towards the window, “Are we there yet?” Curtis asked, which made me chuckle.

“No mate, did you have a good sleep?” I replied smiling.

“Yes, I was dreaming of us being back onboard the Eldorado, sailing through the crystal-clear waters of the Mediterranean Sea, soaking up the warm sun, and loving the amazing surrounds” Curtis replied, and I nearly burst out laughing, but Mum gave me a sharp nudge with her elbow, which made me wince in pain.

“Oh, sorry dear, I just got a spasm in my arm, and I was trying to stop it,” Mum said to me, with a slight smile, and I understood why she did it and nodded my head to indicate that, before rubbing my sore side.

When we arrived in Rome, we had about two hours to have a look around the magnificent city, before it was dark, and after a light dinner, we headed to bed early, since we had to be at the airport again at 5 am the next morning.

As we were boarding our flight for Singapore, Mum informed us that we would be in Premium Economy again, which I was pleased to hear.

After such a long-haul journey, we were all very tired, but when Curtis saw his parents standing in the arrival’s hall, he dropped his luggage and rushed towards his parents, and we collected the abandoned luggage, and slowly joined them.

“Hello Mr & Mrs Kingsley, how are you enjoying your holiday in Singapore?” I said to them when we arrived.

Curtis turned to me in shock, “You knew that they would be here?” Curtis said to me.

“I was told, when we were on our way to Rome, while you were snoring your head off” I replied grinning.

“You know that I was not snoring, is that what you were trying to hide from me when I woke up?” Curtis replied as he frowned at me, which made me chuckle.

“Yeah, I know you don’t snore… much, and no that was another surprise, one for just me, but you will know about it very soon” I responded.

“Hello Mary, thank you for this wonderful holiday, we have enjoyed the past two days very much, and the accommodation is small but very comfortable” Hugh – Curtis’s father said to Mum.

“What does that mean Father? Is it something that I should know?” Curtis asked, sounding a little annoyed, that he appears to be the only one not to know what is about to happen.

“Oh, it’s nothing really mate, just wait and see, you will know soon,” I said to try any divert Curtis attention away from the subject of surprises.

“Right, now that we have everything and everyone, let's go and find some transport to our accommodation” Mum said to everyone. “I hired a car, so we can all pile into that, hopefully, there will be enough room for the luggage, if not, we can always put Curtis on the roof rack,” Hugh said smiling.

“Hey, that is not funny, especially when we are in a foreign country and it is hot as hell here” Curtis complained, as we headed towards the exit to the terminal.

“How far is it to our destination?” I asked once we had loaded all of the luggage into the boot and climbed into the car.

“Oh, about 12 kilometres, should take us about 20 minutes in this heavy traffic” Mr Kingsley replied, once we were moving out of the airport area.

When turned off the busy Admiralty West Road, I noticed that there is a very high wire fence on the left, with razor wire on the top. “Are you sure we are going the right way?” I asked nervously, and Hugh chuckled.

“That is the main Singapore Naval Base, used by the British during the second world war, nothing to worry there, if we were at the other yacht club, then you would have something to worry about, as it is opposite the old Changi Hospital, where there are plenty of ghosts” Hugh commented.

“So why exactly are we going to the yacht club?” Curtis asked as Hugh parked the car opposite the main entry.

“That is what you are about to find out, my friend” I replied, as we climbed out of the vehicle and gathered all of our luggage, and by now Mr & Mrs Kingsley and Mum had large grins on their faces, as I tried hard to keep a straight face.

“Hello Mr & Mrs Kingsley, are these the others that you mentioned earlier?” a man in the office said as we approached the reception area.

“Yes, Mr Cheong, this is the yacht’s owner, Mr Matias J Madsen, his mother Ms Mary Madsen, and our son Curtis, who has been travelling with Matias” Hugh replied.

“Yacht’s owner, what is he talking about Matt?” Curtis asked looking very confused.

Copyright © 2019 Preston Wigglesworth; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 9
  • Haha 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. How fantastic that Matt be given the yacht as part of his inheritance, with money to maintain it. Looking forward to there adventures. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, RCCROBO said:

Next chapter please sir.......

In about ten hours I will

  • Like 3
Link to comment

What a great chapter, after all that they have been through with the rough landing and then they find out that the plane was sabotaged. Now that the conditions of the inheritance have been met Matias is now the proud owner of the yacht Eldorado, which is the first one they went on before the sailing trip which was required to get the inheritance. When they arrived in Singapore Curtis was surprised to see his parents standing in the arrivals area waiting for them. I’m glad that Matias has finally gotten something great out of the whole mess they’d been in since arriving in St Petersburg and the crooked immigration police. I’m looking forward to the next chapter.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, quokka said:

In about ten hours I will

It has been more than 15 hours, hopefully soon

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Just a heads up @quokka the uk has only partly adopted the metric system our distance is still in imperial measurements, and our speed limit is in miles an hour, yes I know it’s confusing, but that’s the English folk for you.  😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..