Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 775 Words
  • 2,202 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 1. Nice to Meet You

He held still. An arrow sat neatly on a drawn bow, unfortunately, it pointed directly at my face. I wondered how I could have gotten caught this much off guard. The would-be-assassin didn’t appear especially comfortable, but did look determined.

“I want it back,” the bowman growled deeply in the common tongue.

“I know you?”

“Don’t be stupid. I want the armband you stole.”

I had no idea what the man was talking about. If he were either serious or experienced, I would have been dead already. The man was unsure or desperate and, if nothing else, young.

“Come on,” the stranger growled again. He kept his voice steady and low so as not to attract attention.

I appraised the man who stared into my eyes. Blue markings traced over the face and on the exposed parts of the arms gave away his race and ancestry. He was from an honorable tribe much like mine. Both our peoples were caught up in these wars, unfortunately on opposite sides.

“Killing an innocent?” I paused for emphasis. “No honor there.”

That was enough. He was holding his weapon high to my face processing and wondering what to do next. I had caught him off his guard with words and not a weapon.

“My group were heading toward the sunset. You and your… friends… attacked. You stole a jeweled band, a gift.” He seemed hesitant to continue. He nudged the bow up again.

I remembered raids, but not a band. “Don’t have it.”

He prodded my chin with the tip.

“Three like me. Many others besides.“

“You are all animals, but,” he paused, pulling back slightly, “I may have the wrong one. You three come from the Bull People, right? Well, I can search you myself to get to the truth and find the others later.”

I laughed a little to myself, there was no way I was going to let a stranger search my gear. “We honor oaths. Our allies don‘t. Oath?”

“Try me.”

“On the Honor of the Great Earth Father, I, Talon, do not have your… gift.”

He watched me and thought.

“I believe you.”

The man lowered his bow and backed up one step. In an instant, my dagger was at his throat.

“Lesson. Keep your guard.” I could swear I almost could see panic on my new “friend’s” face, the sweat on his brow was real.

“Not seasoned. A dishonorable kill…” I began.

“If you let me go, I will hunt you down and then the others until I get my band back.”

“Foolish. Get yourself killed. I’ll get it.”

“Why should I believe you?”

“On the Honor of the Great Earth Father, I do not have your gift and if either of the other two like me have it, I will get it for you.”

“You would do that? Why?”

I shrugged. “Swear.”

“For two cycles of the moon, I will not hunt you or them. I swear this.”

“Name?”

“Kjartanei.”

“Parrot Bay. Black Sail Inn. Next new moon. ”

Kjartanei nodded.

“Lower your bow.” Kjartanei lowered it slowly and I pulled back my dagger hesitantly, then slashed Kjartanei’s arm. He backed up quickly, confused, but instinctively caught the dagger I threw to him.

“Run my friend. RUN!”

Kjartanei turned and ran. It would be a small wound, nothing deadly, just painful enough to remind him that he was bested and probably cause a scar on his upper arm to keep reminding him of that fact.

I stood for a minute listening to the wind through the trees and wondered why the hell I had just done what I did. Sure, I did it partly to save my own skin. It had been a long time since I had been caught off guard, quite a reminder for me, but it was not my place to teach one like Kjartanei.

I looked around. I had no idea if the animals around here could smell blood or not. Kjartanei would be fine. He was strong enough to follow me all this way and smart enough to catch me unaware. He showed the brains to focus on a task, but the moment he was forced off the goal, he was lost. If he survived till dawn, he would be on track again.

I had no idea how I was going to explain this when I met up with the others. If neither of them had the armband, I would still go to meet him, it was a matter of pride now.

For the good or the bad, the oath was made. It would be an interesting trip and hopefully entertaining as well.

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..