Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,691 Words
  • 1,715 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 29. I Just Got Here

I did not want to get up. It had been a while since I had felt that way. The sun beams showed dull but they still lit up every crack and crevasse in the room. I had slept longer than I had intended.

I roused myself and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. Leaf was gone and so were the skins of alcohol we purchased last night, or more properly earlier today. There was only one man left sleeping in the room.

I found my way out and into the city. The sky was overcast and made everything gray and dreary. The place was much larger than I had remembered. I could see how it had spread over more pinnacles of rock over the waters. I stopped on one of the numerous wooden bridges and looked down. Far below, the waters rushed past and I spotted the carved rock path down to the small dock clinging to the rocks underneath us.

After purchasing some bread, I paused and looked about myself and the people that were out and about. The clear majority were former-Bullmen. Very different from the last time I was here. When Thorn and I had been through, years ago, we Bulls were clearly in charge. The Formers kept mostly to their own settlements beyond, on the edges of the bay where it met the jungle. Now the groups seemed distant to each other. There was avoidance between them.

I continued on my way to the hospital ward and Foal. All the while, I felt extra pairs of eyes on me.

I saw the woman from the night before first.

“He was asking for you.”

I nodded.

“Glad you’re here. I was just getting some supplies for the splints.”

Foal was laying still, his head was propped up. The skin of alcohol was next to him.

“She said I would have to stay here for a week or more while I am healing…” He took a swallow. “You have to go. You will have to tell Mane and Petal…”

I put my hand on his shoulder, grabbed the skin, and took a swig. It was one of the most foul tasting, burning concoctions that had ever passed my lips. I nodded.

“In a few days.”

“As soon as you can,” he interrupted. “They need to know I am still alive.”

“Yes.” I gave him another mouthful of the nasty brew.

“How are you doing then?” Leaf said gently over my shoulder. He put his hand on my arm.

“Hurt like hell,” Foal grimaced.

“Drink up, it is going to hurt a lot worse for a little while.” He smiled and looked down at me.

“Horn?” I asked him.

“He woke earlier,” Foal gasped between gulps. “…when they did his arm.” He looked between us. “He yelled then fell out again.”

“He did,” the woman said as she walked past me. She placed the sturdy metal bars on the floor. “And you? How are you feeling?”

“Nervous.” He took another swig.

“You will do just fine son.” Leaf moved, stood next to Foal and ruffled his hair.

I looked at Leaf. He was a little older than I had previously thought. I could see it now in his face. I didn’t think he was as old as myself but still not old enough to be calling Foal son either. He had seen some action and had experience as I had. I picked up a cloth and wrapped it on itself. The woman nodded with a wry smile and handed the skin over to me.

“Now Foal,” Leaf began gently, “we are going to start with the leg, then the collar, the arm is last. Do you understand?”

He nodded. I soaked the now knotted cloth in the alcohol. The woman moved to Foal’s side.

“Talon, I need you to hold his leg about there and don’t let it move.”

I handed the wet mass of cloth to Foal.

“Bite down. Don’t move.”

Leaf took his position at the foot of the bed and wrapped his hands firmly around Foal’s ankle. I grasped down firmly on the leg. This was not the first time assisting with something like this for me. Foal sat wide eyed with the rag in his mouth. The woman put both her hands on his chest.

Leaf nodded and pulled the leg down and away quickly. I heard Foal yelp though his gag. Leaf twisted the ankle slightly and pushed the bone back to join the other. Foal gasped again.

The woman appeared beside Leaf and they wrapped his leg tight, in and against the braces.

I stayed where I was, but in reverse position to hold his body still for the collar bone. The woman held Foal at the neck and good shoulder, Leaf adjusted the bone back in line with less force than he had the leg. They used only padding, no ridged support, to keep this alignment in place.

“One more. How are you doing?” Leaf asked Foal gently.

Foal could only nod with his mouth full. He smelled of alcohol and sweat.

We repositioned for the last adjustment. Leaf’s brows went up and then frowned as he felt the elbow. Foal whimpered.

“It’s not broken. It’s dislocated.” Leaf stood back for a second. “Talon. Hold him down. I will try to make this quick.

I practically sat on Foal’s chest. Leaf made a few quick yanks and pulled down and then pushed back in a fluid, rapid movement. I heard Foal cry out once then go silent.

Leaf looked up at me, smiled, and gestured to Foal. Foal was out cold. He leaned around me and eased the rag out of Foal’s mouth. The woman picked up the rest of the metal splints and shuffled out of the room.

We propped Foal up and fashioned a good and sturdy sling about him and lay him back down to rest and sleep it off.

“How you doing?” Leaf was looking at me.

I nodded.

“Tired?”

I shrugged and saw the circles under his eyes.

“Good. I am going to check on the others. “You staying here? You want anything?”

I shook my head.

“I’ll be back a little later.” He looked down at his nephew. “If he wakes up, try and talk to him a little, his name is Horn.”

I nodded. He shook his head, smiled, and stopped by one of the men near the door. After a few moments, he drifted out into another room.

I sat alone between the sleeping boys in the shadows. The window shutters were open wide but only gray sky showed beyond. I couldn’t help feeling that there was something I should be doing. I was tired, but at the very least I should be checking on the boats going to Arrowpoint.

I leaned back and rested my head on the wall. The fastest way was by boat; that had been the point of coming this way. Now, with Foal laid up for a while, time was getting longer again. We did need to get back. We needed to fulfill the promise and get Mane out of the city and safely on his way into a new life. I closed my eyes and could see Colt’s face, burns and all. I could hear him cough and beg me.

Whispering brought me back to consciousness.

“… so far no infection.”

“It stinks real bad.”

“It’s not what we are used to. Lucky we had any at all really. He thought of it…”

I opened my eyes to see Leaf sitting on the side of Horn’s bed. Leaf looked at me.

“Ah, there you are. Sorry to wake you. We all had a long night.” He smiled broadly.

“Horn this is Talon.”

Horn held out his hand weakly and I shook it carefully. There was a cough followed by a groan from my other side.

“And how are you doing then?” Leaf leaned across and examined the sling.

“Hurt-y,” Foal slurred.

“It will for a time. You need to rest and sleep it off. Well… or…” He gestured to the skin. I held it for Foal to drink some more. After a few gulps, he pushed back with his good hand. I leaned to Horn and helped him take a few swigs as well.

“Oh, enough of that!” The woman was back carrying a tray of food. “What you both really need is this.” She nudged Leaf out of the way and plopped down the tray on Horn’s bed. “And then you all need to sleep.” She looked up at Leaf. “Especially you!” She busied herself pulling the bed apart. “You haven’t slept but a few hours last night.”

He grinned and caught my eye, a naughty boy scolded.

We sat and ate with them. Horn fell asleep first. As Leaf and I made to go and let them sleep in peace, Foal beckoned me close.

“You have to go to Mane and Petal. I will be safe here,” he whispered.

I followed Leaf out into the town.

“Well, I’m for bed. You?” He yawned as we walked.

I shook my head.

“I don’t see how not. You didn’t get much more than me.” He laughed quietly. “Do as you please.”

We traced our steps back to the inn from the night before. We entered as we had before. Several Former-Bullmen ceased talking and peered at us, or more properly me.

“Good Greetings Leaf,” one of them said. “Who is you new friend then?”

I could see the tension among them. Leaf’s jaw tightened. My hand dropped to my side, near my weapon.

“Talon was with us when the train was attacked. He saved Horn.”

I could see the uneasiness remain even after the man nodded and turned back to his friends. The odd looks over the shoulder continued.

“Come on,” Leaf said quietly and tugged my arm. I followed him out and back onto the street. “We will find a different place.”

We walked along the street.

“Sorry about that. There is talk about the Bullmen trying to re-take over the running of the city. There are a number of Formers who are becoming suspicious and paranoid. Best not to mix with them.”

We crossed two bridges before coming to a much smaller establishment. The keeper greeted us and pointed his way to the common bedroom. I hadn’t meant to rest, but I felt tired. We were the only ones in the small room for four. It was not surprising at that time of day. I rested down on the bed.

“Changed your mind eh?” Leaf chuckled and removed his outer garments. “It will be quiet enough here. Safer too. Even if it is a little away from the main buildings.” He yawned and leaned back. “When Horn is better, I am taking him out of here. Too many bad influences now-a-days.”

He lay back down and closed his eyes and seemed to fall asleep almost immediately. I closed mine as well but this time it took a little longer for sleep to catch up.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Leaf! Leaf!”

I woke to the strange voice calling.

“What’s going on?!”

I opened my eyes to the man standing next to Leaf. He smelled of fish.

“More bad dealings,” he said in a rush. “Another fight. A big one this time.”

“Really?”

“Yes, same story. Wanting to clean out the city. They were giving them till sundown.”

“I can’t believe it!”

“I know. I wanted to let you know so you can tell your friend…” He suddenly saw me and realized I was awake.

“Sorry,” he said to me directly. “There is a caravan leaving within the hour.”

“They won’t make it out of the ravines before nightfall.” Leaf voice was harsher.

The man shrugged.

Leaf turned to me. “We should be alright at the hospital. They wouldn’t dare there.” He started putting on his garments. “Later we can catch a boat or something. Come on. Thanks Fin.”

“Good Luck.”

I followed them out into the street. Rounding the first corner, Fin disappeared nearly at once. The roads were almost empty. Those few who remained were ex-Bulls and each carried their own varying degree of distain or menace. As we crossed the last bridge to the hospital ward, I could see the torches around the gates and the small stream of men walking out. All were Bullmen.

“Come on. We’ve got to get in and off the street.” Leaf pulled my arm.

We burst into the ward. Foal and Horn were still there. I looked around, there was only one other man still in the room. He was sleeping. I had thought there were many others. One is easier to see and count than others.

“What is going on?” Horn asked. His voice was tired.

“Looks like they are turning out the Bulls.” Leaf shook his head.

“Are we safe?” Foal asked quietly.

“For now, I should think.” Leaf shrugged. “We will need to get you two out soon though. Tomorrow.”

In the evening, all was quiet. We did not look out the door, but we listened. There were no sounds on the streets nearby. I peered out the window that overlooked the edge of the cliff and down and the growing darkness over the waters.

The woman came in with food. The only news she could provide was that the remaining Bulls were being found one house at a time. There had been no word after the caravan had left. In the end, she did not expect the ward to be safe very long.

Leaf stood next to me looking out the window both nodding and shaking his head. As she was about to leave, he pulled her aside and spoke to her in low tones. She nodded and left.

There was a knock at the doors and they opened slowly. A former-Bullman came through and looked us over. I had my sword in my hand and I was not the only one. He did not advance toward us but to the man sleeping on the bed. He shook him slightly to wake him.

The man grunted and fell when he was pulled out of the bed. One man helped the other out through the doors. I rushed behind to shut them and almost slammed them in the face of the woman.

She dragged a large and heavy sack behind her. Once fully in, she dropped it.

“All arranged. Good luck Leaf. We’ll miss you around here.” She winked and disappeared out to the entry and then into the night. I shut the doors and barred them.

Leaf was pulling lengths of rope out of the sack.

“Push the beds in front of the doors, just in case, we will need all the time we can get. Horn can you help me?” He dragged the length of rope to him.

“What are you doing?” Foal asked.

“We are going to get you two out of here. And then us.” He looked up at Horn. “After we help them, I doubt if we would fair all that well around here anymore.”

“How?” Foal asked.

“Out and down.” He pointed at the window.

“How?” Horn echoed Foal.

“Fin is bringing his boat around the side of the cliff, down below us.” He knotted a tangle of ropes.

“Can’t we use the dock?”

“Not anymore. It sounded like it is all going down around us.”

I set about my task and began stacking everything I could move against the doors. I looked around and was thankful there were no windows on the town side of the structure.

By the time I was finished I turned to see Foal on the outside of the window with a harness of ropes all about him.

“Now, I can tell you,” Leaf started, “this is probably going to hurt. Sorry for that. Here.” He shoved the cloth in Foal’s mouth. “Try and stay quiet.”

I crossed the room quickly and looked out and down. In the shadow of the cliffs, a small boat was floating, hidden to the city. Its sail was down and one man under a hooded cloak, Fin presumably, crouched inside. Foal seemed to be doing well. He was using his good arm to hold on to wait to be lowered in the harness of knots that Leaf had created around him.

“He is in no shape to climb.” He turned to Foal. “You ready?” Leaf smiled.

Foal nodded and slowly began to disappear, but not before a grimace crossed his face.

We worked together to lower him slowly. I could not see down below for the moment, only the knot tied to the window post. After some time, the rope went slack.

I leaned out and saw Foal sitting in the boat. Fin worked over him to release the ropes.

“Come Horn.” Leaf helped a wobbly Horn to the window while I pulled up the rope.

“Now, stay still, I am going to loop this under both your arms.” Leaf tied the ropes around him.

“There you go. You won’t come out of that. Up you go.”

We helped him up and out the window. I took another look over the edge. The boat still held steady in the increasing darkness.

We lowered Horn in the same way as before. Just as the rope slackened, I heard raised voices from outside the barred door.

“Time is short.” Leaf sweated and did not smile. He looked me up and down. “The rope will not hold us both.” He nudged me. “You start climbing. I’ll follow.”

“You go.” I pushed him to the window. He pushed back at me and frowned. There was a pounding at the door. “No time. Go. Go.” I pushed harder. He quickly relented and climbed through the opening.

“Hurry, as soon as it feels safe,” he whispered hoarsely.

I nodded.

“See you on the boat.” He disappeared quickly. I leaned out and watched him climb down at breakneck speed.

The doors sounded loudly behind me. The shouts seemed multiplied. I chanced a look and saw the beds vibrate with the force on the other side.

Below me, Leaf was around halfway. I made myself ready by climbing out the opening and hanging on the window boards. I could still feel the tension on the rope that pulled along my thigh. I shifted to make sure I wasn’t putting pressure on my final lifeline before I had to.

Across from me, the doors had widened and faces were visible. They would be able to start shifting the furniture soon.

The rope shook against my leg and brought me back to where I was. I could not wait. I gripped the rope and leaned away from the wall. I pushed the shutters closed from the outside. Hopefully it would not be too obvious at first. The few extra seconds of them looking under the beds might be enough to help me.

I started down. I went as quickly as I could. The rope began to rub harshly in my hands. All I was trying to do was drop without falling.

I was over half way when the rope went slack and I was jostled up for a moment. I stopped and gripped tight.

I heard someone shout, “Grab it!” from below me.

The rope spun and my back bumped against the cliff. The rope went tight again. I looked down. The boat had been pushed a little back.

I started again, slowly, hoping for the boat to realign itself underneath.

Light and shouts from above. The shutters had been thrown open and several angry faces stared down at me. I nearly lost my grip. Judging from my distance from them, I had to be over three-quarters of the way.

There were more shouts from above. The rope felt funny. Like it was being stretched. I looked up in time to see the flash of a sword.

The next thing I knew, I was in cold, black water, thrashing for my life.

I got my head above the surface once before feeling heavy and being pulled under.

Something hit the water next to me. Something hard.

I waved my hands up and felt another reach down and grab mine. I grasped it hard and tried to reach with the other. I was rewarded with another hand on mine.

My head surfaced. Something hit the boat hard. It was right next to me.

“Grab him Horn. Got to get the sail.”

I looked in time to see Horn grab my hand and relieve Fin. I turned my head and found Leaf holding on my other.

There was a large splash in front of me. I looked up and could see the men. They parted and suddenly a barrel was pushed out and dropped next to the boat. Water went into my mouth. I coughed violently.

They were trying to pull me up into the small vessel without tipping us over. Suddenly, I felt yanked down, the sail must have caught.

My head was above the water again, my legs splayed out away the boat. We were moving away.

Something large and flaming hit nearby.

I choked out more water.

I felt Leaf on my arm pulling. The back of my head hit his cheek.

“Stay with me, stay with me.”

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..