Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 2,740 Words
  • 1,379 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 34. Time Away

The evening meal was controlled chaos. Meg did her best, but the home their family shared was clearly too small. I wondered about where we would all sleep at night. In a place like this, it would be very unlikely for strangers to be welcomed into a person’s home and I saw no taverns to speak of.

I finished eating what I could grab and sat outside the door in the street. I could hear the cacophony of voices from inside clearly.

“Are you alright?” Leaf leaned out the door.

I nodded.

“A lot of people now… to take care of…” He sat next to me and leaned back on the wall.

I nodded again.

A sudden breeze made me shiver for a quick second then drifted away. We sat and looked up into the dimming sky, we were not alone for long.

“I thought I would find you two out here.” Meg crossed to stand between us and the view.

“What are you going to do about the sleeping arrangements?” She looked back and for between us.

I looked at Leaf.

“They don’t have any inns here.” He looked up at Meg. “I found a room at today. The man I was taking care of has a spare room. Two or three of us could stay there.”

I was doing that calculations in my head. Maybe the two newest. Was it too soon to move Foal again?

“I was thinking, if Mane and Petal can stay there, and me and Talon stay on the boat, you and Fin can have your bed back. We can find better accommodations later.”

We looked between ourselves, checking the levels of agreement. Nods all around.

 

Mane and Petal were reluctant to leave Foal again, but after a few words between the women, Leaf led the way to the house we had gone to earlier in the day. We carried extra blankets with us. The same woman opened the door. She was taken aback by the volume of Bull people before her. I remained outside again as the three went in. I did not have to wait very long.

“Ready?” Leaf grabbed one of the remaining blankets off my shoulder. We walked side by side to the dock, found Fin’s boat, and climbed aboard.

The night was calm and warm enough. Leaf settled in next to me. I fell to sleep nearly immediately with my head resting on an empty sack.

Sometime in the night I woke to a cool breeze on my back. I reached out behind me. Leaf was not there. I rolled to face where he had been and opened my eyes.

He was not there.

I glanced toward the stern. He was knelt in silence, his hands outstretched to the sky, his head bowed down.

I quietly returned to my original position and pulled the blanket closer.

 

~ ~ ~

 

The locals began warming up to us. We were seen more and were trying to create our own places in the little society around us. They seemed to appreciate our efforts to fit in.

Leaf and I stayed on the boat, alone, together every night for the first weeks. By day, I helped Fin on the boat or went out hunting by myself. The land around us held so little that I spent most days on the boat. Leaf spent his days caring for the boys and any miscellaneous villager that asked. Mane repaired a roof. Petal helped Meg with whatever she could.

 

When Mr. Riggers agreed to take in Foal, Mane, and Petal, I was relieved. Mane and Petal began helping around his store and his farm.

Horn and Leaf moved into the home where Mane and Petal had stayed.

Leaf was very dismayed that I was still staying on the boat. I did not want to crowd anyone and could not help but feel it was for the best. He frowned when I went off to sleep but smiled every morning when he greeted me at breakfast at Fin’s or the store, or the farm.

Mane continued to prove himself at the farm by working hard and taking on every challenge or obstacle. Petal slowed her pace as the pregnancy progressed.

 

Even when I had known the day was coming, I was still not prepared.

“Horn wants to go home,” Leaf said quietly.

I nodded and looked into my empty tankard. Horn had been well enough for a while.

“He wants me to take him soon.”

Of course he would, and Leaf would go with him. They had a home to go to. I would miss them. Leaf had grown on me. I respected him and he seemed to understand me by making no demands on my social abilities. Sitting quietly watching the sun rise or set had become our own private rituals. I would miss him greatly. I thought of Mari for a moment and hoped he too was alive and well.

“Do you want to come with?”

I looked up at him and tried to gauge if he were joking. It appeared he wasn’t.

“If Fin takes us on his boat, you could stay on with him. If you don’t come ashore you should be fine. He is a trader…”

There was no point. I could say goodbye from here just as well as there. I could stay here are pretend that the kids still needed me. Foal was still not up and walking around so I could keep up with that farce indefinitely. Then there was Petal’s pregnancy, sure I could stay for that.

“Too much risk. For you.” His people, even seeing me from afar, might cause him problems. He might never be able to go home. He had one.

I shook my head.

“There is no convincing you is there?” He smiled and shook his head. “I hope I can convince you to change your mind before we go.”

He didn’t.

 

When the day came, the only one who looked happy was Horn. He said goodbye to all of us and climbed aboard Fin’s small boat. Leaf was already aboard, wedged between goods destined to be traded for gold. He waved and smiled, but his eyes were sad.

We had said goodbye to each other before dawn. He had hugged me warmly and I actually believed he would miss me.

I watched as my newest friend slipped out into the early morning sea and on his way. I was happy he was going to a place called “home.”

I shivered and looked about myself. I clutched the small totem of friendship he had given me. I was standing alone on the dock. I could have been anywhere but I was here, on a dock, in a pirate refuge, alone.

I faced the sea. The boat was gliding silently away. It was far enough that I could not make out anyone aboard.

I hoped we would meet again someday.

When the horizon was free and clear, I began the walk through town and to the farm. There was work to be done. Mr. Riggers had agreed to expand the farmhouse and two additional rooms would not add themselves. It would be a good home for them, all of them.

 

I didn’t know what Riggers knew or didn’t know about the three. He seemed fond of them in his way. As an older, respected elder of the town, he had opened a few more, albeit tentative, doors for the three.

I think he saw something of himself in Mane, especially. Mane, although still hurting for his father, accepted the older man’s kindness and concern. Perhaps the need to have a father was still there.

For their part they seemed happier than I had known them to be. They worked hard, and supported and cared for each other.

When the time came, the newest member of this little family would we welcomed into the loving arms of everyone.

 

Even before the addition to the house was completed, I had begun sleeping at the farm. If the night was cold I slept in the loft above the animals, but most nights I slept out under the trees. One of the slow-monkeys roamed a small section of the farm. He climbed among the branches and would eat. As the nights passed, he got used to me and would sometimes come quite close.

 

With the new rooms were complete, the trio settled in. They appeared to be finding their place and wanted to make their home here. It was as good a village as any, and this was much better than the lack of plans that I had had. The boys and Mr. Riggers continued to work the business and the farm, Foal from his seat in the store. Petal worked hard too, even with the life growing inside her. Sometimes, too hard.

   

One night, I left food out for the slow-monkey and pretended to sleep. He silently crept down and slowly crawled to taste what I had left for him. An odd little soul more suited to climb than to crawl, he shuffled awkwardly on his belly and sniffed at the food. I suppressed a chuckle when he turned his nose up and climbed up the next tree and to the leaves he preferred at the top.

 

I spent a few days back on the boat with Fin. He didn’t talk too much and let me be. He introduced me to a few other fishermen who were both polite and curious. They did not ask and when I did not offer, they quickly lost interest.

 

I named him Bear. He did not mind me and kept eating leaves. Later he might come down and let me pet him, again. Once it was all quiet and still, he seemed more willing, especially when I was holding a branch in my hand.

 

Petal was taking it easier. She worked in and around the house more. She darned clothes, cooked meals and more. We all picked up the extra little things she needed to stop doing. The two fathers doted on her all the time, always checking to make sure she was not doing too much.

 

I could see the moon rising in the sky near Bear. Clear, white and bright. I wondered if Leaf was praying before it at the same time I was watching my slow-monkey climbing across its face. I pulled my cloak closer and wondered if he was a cold as I was.

 

It was so odd that life had become so peaceful in a supposed pirate colony. People did not shy away, but did not engage. A nod or two was friendship enough. Mr. Riggers was always kind with me, but not close like with the kids.

 

I carried Bear with me into town. There were one or two others like him in town so no one paid any mind. He would reach for things but not leave my back. When Fin and Meg’s children would reach to touch him, he would go up onto my shoulder.

 

Fin went away trading and I went back to hunting in the wilds father out from the town and farm at the edge of the desert. So little to choose from. I could not bring myself to go after the slow-monkeys like Bear anymore. The small ground animals would have to suffice.

 

Both Petal and Meg seemed to think that it would be before the next dark moon. The baby would cry for the first time in mere weeks. I was excited for them. They were over the moon about it. Petal remained independent and stubborn but was tremendously coddled at the same time.

 

I walked into town and dropped off lunch and supplies to Mr. Rigger in his shop. He had been kind to us and small errands were the least I could do for everything he had done. I began the walk back. I hadn’t seen Bear in a few days. I hoped he was still alive.

“Talon!” I heard the shout and turned around ready to defend myself.

Leaf rushed to me and threw his arms around my shoulders and clasped me hard.

“It is so good to see you!” He called into my ear. He stood back and smiled, looking me over. “You look good. Healthy. Working hard? Meg told me about the farm…”

I smiled as we walked back to the end of town and across to the house.

He doted on Petal as they all did. He asked her questions about how she was feeling and was answered more often by the boys. They laughed and showed him the new addition, and told him a bit about the happy life they were working on.

Supper was a large affair. Fin and Meg brought their children. Mr. Riggers sat at the head of the table with two friends from town on either side. He looked natural in the host position and he seemed positively in love with his own, created, extended family.

I ate far away on the opposite side in a space of my own. I could hear the talking from all sides and felt bonds being strengthened. Futures and presents were being discussed, freely and with humor.

I left them towards the end of the meal with some small bits of food to munch on and headed outdoors to my favorite tree. I sat down and leaned against it. I heard rustling before long. I chanced a glance up and saw Bear climbing down slowly, his clawed toes scraping on the bark.

When he got to my shoulder, I held up a bit of food for him. He rested his front limbs on my shoulder and ate from my fingers.

I heard light steps and Leaf’s frame approaching slowly. I beckoned him to me.

“I didn’t want to scare your friend,” he smiled.

I twisted my face to Bear. He looked at Leaf with caution but did not retreat.

“Here.” I handed Leaf a piece of potato.

He took it and held it out to Bear.

He rested another foot on my head for balance and reached out to the offered food in Leaf’s hand.

Leaf grinned broadly when he took it and clawed slowly up the tree.

“Guess he doesn’t like me as much as you.” Leaf sat in front of me on the ground.

I shrugged. “It takes time.”

“It has been a while hasn’t it?”

I nodded and looked for Bear above somewhere.

“Where does he go?”

“Close. More active at night.”

“He likes the moonlight too then.”

I smiled and glanced at him. He was smiling, his face shifted up to the treetops. I looked where he was looking. Bear was not there, but the moon was high with light clouds drifting across its face.

“Last full moon, I was wondering how you were doing. It seems like you have found a home… have you?”

 

~ ~ ~

 

I woke after sunrise. Leaf had slept in town. I stretched and looked about me. Was this my home? I had evaded the question the night before. Leaf had accepted my non-answer.

I stumbled to the house. No one had come to find me this morning. That was not unusual, they knew I preferred being alone. Had I been a different person, I might have been called or checked on daily, but I was me and they had let me be.

I heard a woman’s scream just before I got to the open door. I charged in looking for intruders, weapons, blood, or the screamer.

I rounded the fireplace and saw Mane and Foal holding each other in front of the door to the added rooms.

Foal looked up at me. “It’s time.”

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..