Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,269 Words
  • 1,523 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 17. What the Cat Dragged In

We quietly boarded the boat for the Capitol just before dawn. The final loading was done well after we were hidden below deck. I dozed lightly against sacks of grain while we waited. When the gentle sway of the water woke me, I looked at the others. They looked relieved to finally be on the way.

Once out of sight of the city, we felt free to wander the boat. It was mid-sized cargo vessel. After the initial few appraising glances from the deck hands, no one bothered me. It seemed as if they made sure to avoid being caught staring or being near me for that matter.

The day was spent with the shores at both our sides, far enough away for our hull to pass, straight down the center. I sat on the deck in the sun watching the distant plains and farms glide in and out of view.

Trajan and Marius brought food and we ate together. I listened to them talk. Clearly there was an excitement about the future.

“What are you planning then?” Marius asked.

“I expect the trade quarter,” Trajan smiled. “Apolaustus is pretty well known for his carpentry and I hope that Phaetheon will recommend me for Master Sentry.”

“Taking it easy then?” Marius giggled.

Trajan punched Marius in the arm.

“I’m fine with settling down… and being young enough to enjoy it.”

Marius shook his head and smiled.

“I know. Travel the world. The whole world.”

The both slowly turned to me as though they realized I was still there.

“You never answered the question…” Marius said. “Will you tell us now? How did you get here? What is it like where you come from? Are they all like you?” He flushed a little.

“Talon here, is unique among men.”

I was getting used to that eloquent, unstrained voice from just outside of my sight. I turned. Phaetheon stood in his plain robes.

“Perhaps, someday, when I travel that way, I will take you with Marius. We can visit Talon and you can see for yourself what his home is like.”

“Hell yes I want to go!” Marius jumped up and saluted. Both Phaetheon and Trajan laughed.

“Someday, someday…” Phaetheon patted him on the back. “I never did get as far as Talon’s homeland.”

~ ~ ~

We exited the river into the sea and rounded the rocks. Without warning I saw it, the harbor was enormous. One of the largest I had ever seen. Ships floated in and out missing each other by inches, feet, or not at all. I stood on the deck with the others and watched the chaos unfold.

So much movement, so many people. I looked away. Too much. Much too much.

Phaetheon was watching me with those brown, mind opening eyes.

“I can’t wait to get to the city!” Trajan was excited.

I looked up at them, they were so happy to be here. I looked at Marius. “This not it?” I managed to ask.

“Not exactly.” He nudged my shoulder and turned me to change my focus. Overlooking the harbor was a hill complete with ringed towers. “That is the city, the very top is the castle. This is only the anchorage, although, people live and work from the water all the way up.”

I could see the enormity of the place and I shrunk back from the rail and bumped Artor on the side.

“Are you alright?” He steadied me with his hand.

“People…“ My throat was dry.

Artor laughed and turned to Phaetheon who was not laughing at all.

“Come,” Phaetheon said simply.

I gladly followed him off the deck and below. Without warning he turned to me. “I think I understand.”

He looked at me with sadness in his eyes and a soft smile on his lips. “I will arrange a coach so you can sit and not worry about the walk and crowds. It did not occur to me before, I will try to do better.” He put his hand on my shoulder and I instantly felt better. “Stay below until we dock and I have transport summoned. It will not be long.”

With that, he smiled, turned, and left up topside. I sat on a barrel and wondered how I was going to get through this without any guide. I had told Phaetheon and the others that I would speak, so I would, but this was becoming too much.

In spite of my nerves, the ride was smooth, if not slow. The windows were covered with fabric to avoid any stares or idol gossip. Artor and Phaetheon sat with me and talked. Our slow progression was stopped only once at the castle’s gates. Phaetheon exited and had words with the guards and we proceeded into the keep.

We exited into a quiet, side courtyard. Only ourselves and a few guards were visible. I looked around at all the stone. The walls were rock. Arrowpoint was mostly wood. The shear manpower of assembling walls like this was maddening. Then there was the look up. The inner walls went higher and higher. Taller than any structure I had seen before. A man-made straight sided stone mountain with doors open to me. The rest of our party entered through the gates to stand with us.

Presently, a man draped in fine clothes presented himself to us and bowed.

“Phaetheon, it is good to see your face again!” He looked among us and then at me with a short surprise then immediately and expertly hid it with a large smile. “I am Budeck. Chamberlain to King Ambrosius.” He made another small bow directly to me.

“I think you may remember my men,” Phaetheon replied pleasantly before turning to me.

“This is Talon, from across the cold seas.”

“A pleasure to meet you sir. Any needs you have will be my wish to fulfill.” Another bow. “Artor you are injured, I will summon the physician.”

“No. I was sewed up right proper at Justinian’s,” Artor smiled.

“Good then. Please follow me gentlemen.”

We followed through the doors behind Budeck and Phaetheon into another world. Torches lined the halls, rugs bathed the floor, color washed the walls. Marius snickered at my open mouth causing Artor to glare and Marius to mumble, “Sorry.”

“Ambrosius is on an expedition down the coast and is expected back any day,” Budeck was saying. “You all have time to rest and recover from your journeys. I will make sure to see to everything. Speaking of which…” He turned and smiled over his shoulder at us and me before turning back to Phaetheon and leading toward him.

“Does anyone have any special needs or concerns?” he asked quietly and directly to Phaetheon thinking either I could not hear or understand that I was the anyone.

“I believe you know mine and the others. As for Talon, you will find him to be a most undemanding guest.”

Even from the angle I was at, I could see the faint pink in Budeck’s cheek.

“Very good sir.”

We were escorted to the dining hall to relax, drink, and eat. My mind was blurred with the enormity of the place, the finery. The food was far more complex than the usual fare I was used to, even grander than Justinian’s. A man and a woman played some type of lyre and sang for anyone who happened to be in the hall. Our group sat loosely together and enjoyed the surroundings. I sat the farthest from all of it, near the wall.

“Stay with the men. Enjoy yourself. I will see you later. Much business to be done.” Phaetheon smiled, turned, and headed out of the hall.

Later, the bathhouse was given over to us. Luxurious. Fires heated the water from underneath. Attendants stood by to massage and rub all tension out of our weary bodies. Every servant, attendant, and guardian masked any curiosity about me completely. They were trained so well that I was almost able to relax.

Before long, we retired to our rooms. I had been given my own. At last, I was alone.

I lay on the soft bed and wished I was not there. Life had been less complex laying under the trees in the forest. I felt safer those nights on the hill under the stars.

King Ambrosius.

I still was unsure of what was expected from me. I had been brought upon faith alone. If I didn’t give him what he wanted or needed, then what? I owed him nothing as he owed me nothing. Surely he would see that much. Nothing for nothing. He would have to let me disappear back into the world and vanish, like he had never known me, right?

Then what?

Not to the pass.

Return to my birthplace. What choice did I have? Take my chances there with whatever remained of my family. If they would have me. What if they didn’t? How would I even get there. It was maddening.

A quiet place. Somewhere remote. No people, no worries. Alone.

Alone to die. To die alone.

I refused to shed a tear. I would not. I was stronger than that. My business here was what was important now. After that, I would find my way, like I always had before. Only this time by myself.

~ ~ ~

The night came and went. The dawn followed. I was allowed to remain undisturbed in my chamber much later than I had thought I would be. There was a light knock and Marius leaned in and saw I was awake.

“I did not know if we should disturb you. I was checking if you are alright.” He looked concerned.

I shrugged.

“Are you hungry?”

I shook my head. He smiled.

“Do you just want to be left alone in here all day?” His voice betrayed his exasperation.

I smiled. He was young and full of life.

He crossed the room and put his hands on his hips. “Come on then, let’s visit Artor. It’s not far.”

~ ~ ~

Indeed it was not. We left the tranquility of the castle by a side wall gate. The noise from the city below was heard but not visible. A quiet, forgotten lane. Only a few people out and I caught only one obvious stare.

“Many of the soldier’s families live back here,” Marius said calmly.

We came to a large door on the wall of houses on our side. I could hear Artor’s voice through an open window. Marius pounded loudly.

The door opened wide to reveal a smiling Artor and two children. “Marius! Talon! Come in, come in! Quen! Two ales for our guests!” We were brought in and sat by the board next to the fire. More children seemed to appear out of nowhere and looked wide-eyed at me. Presently, a woman, Quen, came in at stopped for a second to look before coming in the rest of the way.

“Here you go,” she said and placed mugs and bread down in front of us. “Marius you just keep getting more handsome.” She clasped her hands under her bosom. “And who do we have here? No, stop it now!” She swatted at one of the children reaching for the bread.

“This is Talon. Talon this is my wife Quen.” Artor reached for the bread. “And these,” he gestured around, “are my children.”

I looked around at them all. Four or five maybe.

“Humph, like I had nothing to do with them.” Quen frowned.

Artor laughed loudly. “Of course my dear.” He leaned to me and pretended to whisper. “You can see how often she’s had her skirt above the knee.”

She slapped him on the back of the head while Marius laughed. I could not help but smile.

“Good to be home,” Artor grinned and handed the child, who had tried for the bread, a small piece. “You sleep well?”

I nodded.

“Better than a camp, I reckon.”

I nodded knowing that was what was expected. Quen smiled and shooed children out of her way as she left deeper into the house.

“What is next then?” Artor took another drink.

“Waiting, for Ambrosius. After that, Phaetheon hasn’t said,” Marius sighed.

“Don’t worry you will see action soon enough. You know what I think?”

Marius leaned a bit forward.

“I think that when Ambrosius hears about what has been going on out there…” They both looked at me. “That’ll be it for the duke.“ He drew a thumb against his throat. “ ‘Bout time too.”

“War? Really?” That had gotten Marius’ attention.

“What did you think? And I would hardly think it would be a war. Once Ambrosius decides to assemble the troops, well, it will be like that warlord on the coast all over again.” He looked at me. “That guy was crazy and when the King got there, faster than lightning, the city was his and the warlord…” he made the thumb across the throat gesture again.

“Then it might be like Phaetheon said,” Marius sat back. “City in flames, unmarked graves and such.”

“Phaetheon has a knack, but then again, even I could predict it would come to that.”

“You have the sight too?!” Marius sat upright.

Artor laughed. “Hell no. Just common sense boy. Think about it.” He smiled. “Phaetheon just has a way of adding some style to these things.” He took another swig. “Quen! More beer! He may have the sight, but he would have hardly needed to use it with the captain.”

Quen came back followed by two children. I was not sure if I had already seen these two already or not. “Take it easy with that or you’ll not be getting into my bed tonight. I can go another night without you,” she quipped.

Artor grabbed her by the waist and pulled her down onto his lap. She fiercely struggled to get up.

“Horse’s ass..” she complained and fidgeted to get up.

“Keep that up and I won’t need the bed!” Artor laughed and continued to let her squirm on him.

“Guests!” She hissed at him.

His face reddened. “There you go.” He let her up. “Later will be good enough for you.”

After more talk, Artor’s oldest, Galehault, came home. He was trying to follow in his father’s footsteps, maybe replace him in Phaetheon’s service. He was training hard with Ambrosius’ men until then. It was obvious by how he watched Marius and Artor, how much he admired them. Artor, ever cheerful, told him to be patient. Marius encouraged him to ask Phaetheon again.

When they wanted to go down into the market, I declined and went directly back to the castle. For a while I sat in the dining hall, in the farthest corner, and listened to one man sing and another play a flute. The ale was good and the food even better. People came and went without fanfare or concern. They ate and drank and left. I sat and listened and watched and did not speak with anyone.

I retreated back to my room before sunset and lay back in the bed. The night was young and I could hear music and laughing somewhere in the distance.

The sooner this was over the better.

~ ~ ~

In the morning, Marius tried to make me go out again and frowned when I did not. I sat opposite my window and watched the light clouds float past. It would be a beautiful day, perfect for the forest. Maybe I should try and go. Just leave. This was not my fight, not my war, nothing to do with me anymore.

There was a knock on my door. When I opened it Phaetheon looked at me with a half smile.

“Can I come in?”

I opened the door wider.

He crossed and stood near the light.

“Marius said that you were up here…” He looked at me intently, but without intimidation. I closed the door and crossed back to my chair in the shadow, far from the sunny sky.

He breathed out, glanced down, and looked up at me again.

“I am so sorry Talon.”

I shrugged.

“I know enough to see someone who is hurting.” His voice was soft, I could almost believe him. “Is there anything that I can do? Anything any of us can do? Anything we can get you?”

I shook my head. He looked at me one more time then leaned to the window and stared up for a minute. I could hear a bird sing. He turned and caught my stare in his. There was a strange glaze in his eyes.

“When this is over, I promise, I will help you get home. I will be there for you. I promise. When it is time, and you truly go home, I will see you there. I promise.”

He stood silent for a moment, as if he was unaware of where he was, then his eyes found their focus and he sighed. He slowly came to me and put a hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him again. The strange look was gone, but there was a certain wetness still in his eyes. I turned away.

“Just don’t give up…please…just don’t…”

I returned to his eyes and tried to believe every word. He faintly smiled back.

~ ~ ~

I decided I did not need to ignore my stomach with all the plentiful food here. I left for the dining hall. It did not seem all that busy when I had been there before. I was greeted and served immediately. Impeccable food again, beyond my humble appreciation. New musicians sang and played on the other end. No worries in the world for them.

“Talon! Talon! There you are! Come, come quick!” Marius ran up behind me and pulled my arm.

I followed him out the hall and to the main courtyard, the one I had passed through in the coach, days before. He brought me to stand with Artor, Trajan, and a few others.

“I can’t believe they caught him…” Trajan muttered.

Shouts were given and the gates swung enough to allow a few men on horse through. All carried Justinian’s crest. They were followed by Ismenios and walking behind him, hands tired, led on rope, was the Duke’s captain. My mouth dropped. The gates closed behind the last two riders.

There were some jeers at the sad figure at the end of his rope. His head sagged. A pose of defeat, not anger.

There was a hush suddenly and I turned in time to see Phaetheon, in his fine green-blue, coming followed by Budeck. In the silence, he went before the captain and waited for him to raise his head. When he did, his eyes widened and he fell to his knees mumbling incoherently.

Phaetheon placed his hand on the back of his head almost petting him. Then he brought both his palms to the sides of the captain’s face and turned him to him. The captain looked scared, scarred and beaten, physically, mentally, and elsewise. Phaetheon turned his head to Budeck. “Take him to a cell. Feed him. Properly. No one is to speak to him. I will see to the rest later.”

Budeck gestured to the guards and two took the captain between them and followed him into the castle. Other hands came forward to take the horses. Ismenios dismounted and greeted us with handshakes. Artor grabbed him tightly and hugged him.

“Food and drink,” Phaetheon called to us from the doors. Ismenios’ men and our own crowded after him to the hall.

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..