Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,507 Words
  • 1,399 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 16. Stab in the Dark

We had not stopped or slowed down for hours.

“Ismenios! We should be away enough for a break, I need to eat n‘ piss!” Artor declared in load, but clear common. Several others chuckled agreement.

Ismenios held up his hand and we slowed down while scanning for a place to rest. He picked a small isolated grove off the path with good visibility to watch for anyone who might approach.

Artor helped me dismount.

“Ismenios?” Artor pointed at my shackles. Ismenios walked over.

“Take off now.” He unlocked and removed the cuffs. “Good, yes?”

I nodded.

“Good.” He turned to the group and spoke out orders that I could not understand.

“Ismenios…” Phaetheon said calmly.

Ismenios reddened and then repeated in common tongue. “Men. Not long. We make before dawn.”

“Keep practicing your languages, Ismenios,” Artor laughed. A few of them chuckled as Ismenios reddened further and grinned. He walked off to the side where Phaetheon sat alone. Artor remained next to me. Three men approached us.

“Here.” One handed me some of his rations.

“Marius, Trajan, and Cassius.” Artos slapped Trajan on the back.

“Water.” Trajan handed over the skin.

I nodded.

“You from the other side then?”

I nodded and swallowed.

“Wow. How you get here? You come over a long time ago? How long did it take?”

“Enough Marius.” Artor elbowed him.

“Sorry.” Marius flushed slightly and elbowed Trajan who elbowed Cassius.

“He’s young, curious.” Artor laughed.

“Sorry.” Marius mumbled.

“Don’t worry. You’ll have your own adventures someday.” Artor slapped him on the back again. “Me, I just hope to make it to retirement.”

“Ismenios! Phaetheon!” One of the men was calling from the side of the grove. We all ran over.

Three bodies, three men. Each had been partially picked by animals but you could still see the individuals. The clothes ripped and bloodied. Arrow and blades before the scavengers. Nearby on the ground, a shredded bag with its contents of doctors tools scattered. The missing doctor and his men.

“Who are they? They don’t look like the Duke’s men?” Artor said before leaning down to get a better look.

I shook my head and caught Phaetheon’s eye.

“Bury them properly,” He ordered quietly.

Later, Ismenios came over to sit with us.

“We mount soon. You not run, we you ride… not tied… yes?” He looked at me, trying to figure out if I understood him. “We you to King. You say him you see in pass.” He looked at Artor who continued for him.

“There is a lot going on right now. I don’t know all what Phaetheon has in mind. But you have seen what the Duke is like. Needs a proper yank on his chain. If you speak with the King and tell what you saw. You can help us and your friends in the Pass. Can we count on you to come with us? I am sure you would be rewarded…”

I looked around into their eyes. My old brain reached back and tried to remember what honesty looked like. Thorn would have known with one glance. All I had was deeds. All I had was nothing left.

I caught Phaetheon watching me. He was thinking and assessing too. He looked tired.
I nodded once more.

“Good.“ Artor smiled.

“Men!” Ismenios called.

We stopped again just after sunset. The men became slightly more talkative with each other but clearly were staying on guard. I was left to my own lack of thoughts. I felt guarded and yet, somehow, free. I felt alone in this close knit group.

I saw Ismenios speaking quietly with Trajan. Both smiled as they talked. Artor joked with some of the others. He seemed to be the most social of the group.

We spent the night riding in the dark. One of the men, led us along the trail in the blackness. The moon showed just enough light to make torches unneeded as we kept up a regular pace. It seemed that we were slowly riding downhill, sloping toward some unknown ‘safe’ haven. We kept going and going only stopping to relieve ourselves.

We came to the edge of the forest just after the sun’s highest peak for the day. Ahead lay a vast sea of grasses. I could not see the other side of this wide open land. We stopped again to eat.

I was sharing rations with Trajan and Cassius when Phaetheon approached us.

“Almost there.” Trajan smiled broadly.

“We know why you are excited!” Cassius laughed.

Phaetheon grinned back at them. “Yes. Almost there. Just before nightfall, maybe.”

“You think he will come with us?” Trajan’s brow creased.

“He will.” Cassius punched Trajan’s arm.

Phaetheon leaned forward and put his hand on Trajan’s shoulder. “I am sure he will.”

Trajan flushed. “Thanks.”

“Can you guys give me a moment with our guest?”

Trajan and Cassius packed up the remaining food stuffs while Phaetheon sat next to me.

“Across those plains is safety.” He pointed out over the pastures. “From there, we board a boat and travel down river for the capitol and King Ambrosius.”

We sat in silence. I couldn’t help but feel that he was watching me again.

“I know they told you a little. Ambrosius is a good and fair man. Hearing first hand of the Duke’s little crusade against Stag’s Pass will disturb him greatly. I assure you that the King wants peace.”

I looked at him and waited.

“Yes, what do we gain right?” He smiled. “There are a lot of politics involved but, for one thing, Stag’s Pass blocks the only land trade route to Greenwater. The Duke, with his little war, is basically blocking the inland trade and free passage to other kingdoms. It is all a delicate business.”

I nodded. Wars and conflict everywhere. At home and abroad. I looked up to see Phaetheon studying the sky. He turned to look at me.
“Tell Ambrosius what you saw and he can use that to help forge a lasting peace with Stag’s Pass. Will you do that? You will be rewarded handsomely.”

“To stop killing.”

He looked quickly into my face. The gears behind his eyes were almost audible. He opened his mouth to say something to me then closed it. A few more moments, then he stood up and made to walk away.

“Phaetheon.”

He turned to me, his eyes somewhat larger with surprise at my saying his name.

“My name is Talon.”

“Thank you.” He smiled and bowed his head. “Talon.” He turned and walked towards the group by the horses.

~ ~ ~

The first stars were out as we started the final stretch across the farmlands. Our pace quickened as the city came into view. The men laughed and called out to each other with enthusiasm. I was excited for them and matched their swift pace. Phaetheon and Ismenios took the lead as we approached. The city gates were opened wide with no questions, only salutes. We proceeded quickly to the stables. The hands greeted them cordially, but stared at me with surprise. We had barely dismounted when a jovial looking man came in with a few others behind him.

“Ismenios! Phaetheon!” He clasped Ismenios strongly before letting him go and shaking hands with Phaetheon.

“Ismenios’s father, Justinian,” Cassius whispered. “He is the governor.”

“Men! Long ride eh?” He laughed, then spotted me, his brows lifted. “And who do we have here then?”

“Justinian, this is Talon. He brings tales of the Duke’s doings,” Phaetheon offered.

Justinian’s face darkened, but he recovered quickly. “Welcome Talon.” He glanced around us and smiled. “Men… feast!”

There were a few happy grins.

“Ismenios.” He gestured the way and both started out. Phaetheon came towards me.

“Stay with us. The city appears safe, but you never know. Ask for anything you need. Good food and a comfortable bed lie ahead.”

“You for food or bed?” Artor yawned next to me.

“We can see what you are for!” Cassius coughed. Artor slapped his head. Phaetheon smiled before following Justinian and Ismenios out.

Once out into the city we headed towards the large central hill with it’s large hall in the middle of town. Not too many people were about, but I did catch enough looks to know that I was not of the usual sort to be seen walking the streets. Trajan kept looking around, searching everywhere at once.

“Cut that out!” Cassius shoved him forward. “And stop worrying.”

“I know, I know.” Trajan muttered and smiled.

We came to the hall. Servants showed us in and we were seated directly below the main table. The servants rushed to assemble a feast for us when they clearly should have been fast asleep. I was half through my first ale when a young man appeared in the doorway. He looked quickly among us for the one he was looking for, when he found him, his face lit up. Trajan leaped up from his seat and ran over to the man and hugged him tightly before kissing him on the mouth.

“Apolaustus! Good to see you!” Artor called out from next to me.

I watched Trajan and Apolaustus. Thorn used to look at me like that. It seemed odd now that we had never done like these two. We had craved each other in the same way as these I expected.. I felt tears form in my eyes. I had to look away. I caught Phaetheon watching me yet again. A visible look of concern spread across his face. I hated that look. The last time I had seen it, I had ridden into the forest alone.

There was a throat clearing. “Apolaustus, this is Talon.” Marius said quickly. Trajan and Apolaustus sprung apart and reddened.
“Good Greetings,” Apolaustus offered without moving.

I nodded. There was a pause in the room. I think they were waiting for me to say something. I looked at my tankard. I felt, more than saw, Phaetheon turn away. The servants began piling the food in front of us.

“Plenty for all!” Artor pounded the table. Trajan and Apolaustus returned to the board. Artor and Marius began grabbing for the food.

Later, I caught Phaetheon still looking at me. The look of concern was gone, replaced by deeper thought.

~ ~ ~

“Bastard!” Justinian said loud enough for many of us to hear. He spoke in a rough common, volume making up for vocabulary. He and Ismenios had come and joined Phaetheon at the head table. I looked up at him. He was turned toward Phaetheon, who only nodded. Ismenios sat on the other side of his father.

“News?”

“There was an assault on Stag’s Pass, the Duke’s men. Talon was there.” Phaetheon sighed and looked at me. Justinian nodded when he met my gaze.

“How you get him? Blood?” Justinian asked matter-of-fact-ly.

“No.” Ismenios shrugged. “Phaetheon,” There were some quiet chuckles among them. “What you say to captain?”

“Hmm?” Justinian looked up.

“We leaving. Captain and men block gates. Phaetheon spoke. Men open gates.”

“He stop you!?” Justinian face blackened.

“Phaetheon,” Ismenios said quickly. Justinian sat back. “What say?”

They both looked at Phaetheon expectantly.

“I told him I saw the town in flames and graves with no markers,” Phaetheon said simply without emotion.

Ismenios’ jaw dropped. Justinian nodded sagely. There was a moment of awe-filled silence from those of us closest.“

I told you he said something to scare the shit out of him.” Artor whispered quietly.

I turned, he shrugged and smiled.

The meal continued with no more talk of the Duke or of Phaetheon’s doings. I looked at him, curious as to the power he exerted over so many. He was clearly not their sovereign in any way. He conceded that leadership to others, but those same people treated him with familiarity and respect. And fear. He was not physically imposing nor carried weapons that I ever saw. It seemed his mouth and brain were enough. A wise one. A seer. Or a pretender.

~ ~ ~


The moon was high when we went back to a manor house.

Marius leaned close. “Phaetheon and Ismenios will stay with Justinian. Trajan, well, he will have his own accommodations.”

We split into groups. I ended up with Artor and Cassius in one room. There was some quiet talk as we fell asleep. I do not know who drifted off first.

~ ~ ~

I did not sleep well and woke before the sun was up. I lay in bed, thinking and remembering. Thorn and I had met each other at a gathering of our tribes. While planning for the re-taking of one of the villages, he and I had got to talking, mostly him. He was from one of the areas under siege. Although some of his family had escaped, most had not.O

n that day, I knew I wanted to be near him. I knew that I wanted to defend him, always. I knew.

Now, he was gone.

I felt myself beginning to break. I stopped myself. Only the light sounds of sleeping men and darkness. I roused myself, dressed, and left quietly. After using the garderode, I found my way down to the main room. Marius was sitting quietly in the shadows looking tired and alert at the same time.

“Good morning,” he whispered. “I couldn’t sleep. The last few days have been hell on my sleeping. You?”

I nodded in agreement.

“I’m hungry. Let’s go out and see if we can find any fresh bread.”

We walked out into the still dark streets. The occasional shop window or passing lantern were the only true light. A few people hurried about, attending to their daily work and paying us no mind. I was glad of that. We made our way around the hall and down the hill. Soon, I could smell the aroma of fresh baking.

The bake-house was large and busy, but when we came in there was a pause followed by polite, yet obvious, stares. Marius spent a few moments haggling with a short man in the native tongue. We came away with a few dozen loaves wrapped neatly together.

“I told him you were a special guest of Justinian, from across the seas. We got the best loaves.” Marius smiled.

We went back out onto the street. The sky was brighter.

“Come on. Let’s have a few for ourselves first, eh?” He chuckled and turned us down one of the lanes. We walked slowly and tore into some of the bread.

“The best stuff,” Marius commented between mouthfuls.

With the dawn came more looks and more curiosity. People looked at me in a way that I felt naked. Before long, Marius noticed it too.

“You would think they never saw a man before. Well, I grant that you are bigger and your coloring is different, but still. People are so ignorant.” We stopped and looked around, returning the stares. The city folk suddenly all had somewhere else to look and be. “Come on, let’s get back.”

We turned around and made are way back to the hill. All I wanted was to be away from the prying eyes and alone. A crowd had gathered before the manor and we began to increase our step. The glint of a green-blue cloak disappeared into the doorway. We pushed our way in.

“Upstairs,” Marius said.

We raced up and into the same room I had just been sleeping in. It was torn up. Three bodies lay on the ground. Phaetheon knelt over the body of Cassius in silence. Artor sat on the floor nearby with an arm being stitched and his leg wrapped. I stood in the doorway with a few of the others. Marius knelt on the other side of Artor.

“Assassins,” Artor said without any hesitation. I looked at the other two corpses on the floor. “We tried to fight them off, but we were caught by surprise. Ouch!!!” The physician jerked away from the arm and went to attend to the wound on Artor’s side.

“Any others? Just these two?” Phaetheon asked.

Artor gritted his teeth and shook his head. “I saw only two but there may have been others. I woke up when I got stabbed. I think he meant to get me in the chest, but he missed. One over me, the other in the doorway.” He pointed to where I was standing. “When Cassius woke up the second one, the lookout, attacked him.”

“If there were more, they would be long gone by now.” We all turned to look at Phaetheon. “Marius, inform Justinian and ask he seal the gates. Quickly.” Marius ran out. “The rest of you search the bodies for anything useful and make the preparations for Cassius. Artor, can you walk?”

“I think so.”

“Good. You and Talon stay with me.”

I crossed to Artor, helped him stand, and we proceeded slowly out the door behind Phaetheon.

~ ~ ~

Artor slept propped up in the huge bed. I sat on a chair in front of the window. Justinian had been gracious enough to put us up in his own private rooms. A beautifully appointed apartment. Everything was being taken care of. Artor and I were to be kept separated for our own safety. Ismenios, Trajan, and Marius would see to our food and needs until we could continue on our way to the Court of King Ambrosius.L

ate in the day, Phaetheon and Trajan came to eat with me and Artor.

“Any word?” Artor sounded tired.

“No. Yesterday, there was that rumor of a third man, but we could not find him. The gates had to be opened again today. Could be anywhere.” Trajan shrugged.

“And Cassius?” A tear formed in Artor’s eye.

“A pyre tonight. Justinian sent word to his family.”

“I wish…” Artor sighed.

“I know.”

“He was a good man. He will be greatly missed.” We looked at Phaetheon. He didn’t continue but looked at me then Artor and then back to me before taking the next spoonful. We finished our meal in silence.

Phaetheon got up and Trajan gathered the remaining foodstuffs. “Marius will be in with you guys tonight. Justinian’s men are all around, but one more of ours won’t hurt.. You two will stay here. It will be better if no one knows exactly where you are. We will ship out tomorrow.” Phaetheon said.

“Get some rest Artor,” Trajan added before closing the door behind them.

“How am I supposed to rest all cooped up in here?” Artor chuckled.

~ ~ ~

I woke up when I heard to lock click. I nudged Artor who lay beside me in the great bed. The door opened. Marius entered carrying a candle. Artor yawned. Marius closed and re-locked the door.

“Cassius?” Artor put his feet on the floor and made to stand.

“As well can be expected.” There was a catch in his throat. “I heard they will be giving him honors and a bonus to his family.” I could hear him will himself to be brave.

Artor opened his arms to him. Marius looked at him and crossed over and they hugged each other.

“He was a good man. A good friend,” Artor said before pushing Marius back slightly. “We do him honor by continuing to do our duties and try to fill the void that can never be filled.”

Marius nodded. He was young, could this be the first companion of his to die?

Artor pulled his feet back into the bed. Marius pulled a blanket across the floor, and sat down.

“What are you doing?” Artor yawned.

“Going to sleep.” Marius smiled and began removing his clothes.

“Down there? Come on. Plenty of room up here. Unless you mind?” They both looked at me. I shrugged and made room on the side. Marius climbed in next to me.

“Thanks. The floor was cold.” He blew out the candle.

“Good night.” Artor rolled on his side away from me, keeping his arm and wounds safe. Marius rolled to his opposite edge.

Artor was right. The bed was enormous and I did not feel crowded. In fact, I didn’t feel either of them.

I remembered Parrot Bay so long ago. Two beds pushed together to accommodate three. Thorn along my side where the space between Artor and I was now. Kjartanei where Marius lay, both respectably spaced from me. Thorn had kept me warm. Only the blankets would tonight.

~ ~ ~

I dreamed of my homeland, my brothers, my parents, and our old house before it had been burned down. The grasses were green, my family happy, the few trees clean of scorch marks. Cool winds blew under the leaves as the talk turned to the heat of the war. Our lands would not stay peaceful for long. We knew it was coming. We were prepared. We stood with the chief and our allies. The meeting of tribes was set and we would be there and do our part for our homeland.

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..