Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,507 Words
  • 1,190 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 41. Repeat Offenders

Oh for Artifex sake…

 

 

“I can’t believe it!” Revinn boomed.

I stared at the dead Midnight Stag at my feet.

Revinn called out once more to the others and they began to appear out of the trees one or two at a time.

“Never! Never happened!” Revinn shouted. “No one, no one in history has ever gotten two!”

The others cheered and congratulated us with laughter and claps on the back.

“Not me,” Revinn laughed loudly and shook his head. “Talon. It was Talon. Again! I was only around for the end.”

The entire point of going out hunting was to get out, stretch my legs, and have some peace and quiet. When I found I was to be accompanied by the others, I had still managed to slip away. Had I had not gone off by myself, I would never gotten the buck. Revinn had been far away enough not to scare it off and close enough to be there for the final kill. I had considered scaring it away myself, pride had made me follow through. If he had seen me drive it off, what then?

By the time we made it back to Harald’s Port our hunting party had grown threefold. I was surrounded as we walked in. Villagers had stopped along the route to watch as if it were some type of victory parade. I hated the attention and began to sweat harder than I had all day. When Leaf caught my eye, he smiled, did a quick shake of his head, and watched us pass by.

Phaetheon looked equally amused when we walked towards him, but there was something else in his eyes. As we approached, he eloquently bowed low and long to me. Suddenly, Galehault did as well, then some of the others with them. I was shocked and made to stop, but Teucer ran into me from behind.

“Wow,” Revinn said when we stopped at the hut.

“Congratulations!” The tanner slapped me on the back. I let Revinn do the small talk with him and stood back to lean on the wall. I did my best to block out the curious stares.

“Are you alright?” Teucer asked quietly.

I turned and looked down into his young eyes. He would not understand. I nodded.

“Word is the King will arrive tomorrow,” Revinn said. “With this,” he thumbed to the carcass, “a good deal will be made.” The laborer nodded sagely and smiled.

“Come, let us go get a drink to celebrate!” He slapped my shoulder.

There were some stragglers watching and waiting for us along the way to the inn giving their good greetings and wishes for fortune. One man asked me to hold his knife to bring him luck with whatever it was he was planning to do with it. A woman grabbed my hand and rubbed her belly with it. “A blessing to the child within,” she whispered.

Once Leaf joined us I began to feel better. A table to the side was vacated for us. The drinks were free. The food delicious. The talk loud. The stares repeated. Revinn, Leaf, and Teucer stayed nearby although others at the table exchanged places.

Later, well after the food, Leaf took his leave. “The moon is bright. You are the hero of the day, enjoy it.” He gave me a soft smile that made me warm inside. When he left, his warmth lingered while I listened to my own thoughts.

“I think your friend has had enough,” Begayar said from next to me. I did not remember him sitting down nor Revinn leaving.

I glanced over to Teucer. He was listing to port. When he looked up at me his eyes were soft and the red in his cheeks was prominent. My tankard was pushed in front of me.

“Go on finish up. I can help you with him later.” Begayar grinned.

I grabbed the vessel, but I did not feel like it. My mouth tasted bitter, no doubt from the many ales. I felt fine but did not feel like more.

“Go on, someone paid for that, you don’t want to offend,” Begayar prodded gently.

I took a sip, the taste was somehow sweet and replaced the metallic aftertaste from the previous ones.

Begayar nodded.

As I finished it off, I thought of Leaf and immediately felt warm.

“Come on, let’s get him to bed,” Begayar whispered. He stood and went around to Teucer and gently stood him up.

I came around and put an arm around Teucer from the other side. He sighed and rested his head on my collarbone.

As we started across to the door, Begayar stopped us. “He would fall off the dock. We should get him a room here.” He waved to the last remaining innkeeper. The man nodded and pointed down a narrow hallway into what was the new addition.

“Our best for our esteemed guest. The last door,” he said with respectful nod.

We staggered down the hallway, me holding Teucer up and Begayar guiding us.

While Begayar fumbled at the door. I heard unmistakable sounds from a dark alcove nearby. The forms of two men, seemingly unworried about our presence, touched each other in the darkness. Their shadow faces were joined in passion. I heard their soft moans and suddenly envied them. The open, yet hidden affection, or mere lust, they shared.

“This is a nice room,” Begayar said looking around and pulling us inside. He went and threw a log into the low fire place. I shut the door behind us.

Teucer leaned on me, but I got him to the bed and sat him down. He immediately started to go to lie on his side.

“Not yet.” Begayar caught his arm. “Come help me get him undressed.”

We did, he giggled the entire time. Begayar chuckled. Once tucked under the covers. He smiled serenely seemingly surrendering to sleep. He was warm, safe, had no cares.

I, on the other hand, grabbed at the wall to steady myself.

“You might as well stay here too,” Begayar said gently into my ear. “You may have had more than you thought.”

I didn’t think I had.

He smiled and guided me to the other side of the bed. He helped me get undressed and I climbed in. I was dizzy anyway and time off the swaying ship would be nice.

“You both will be comfortable enough. Take it easy. I will set the lock so no one will bother you.”

He took something out of his cloak and set it on mantle of the fireplace. “Drink one of these in the morning. It will help you. Not tonight though, just sleep now. The other is for Teucer.”

He came back to my side of the bed. I looked into his eyes, they were odd, all wide and black.

“Everything happens for a reason Talon.”

I did not understand, perhaps I had had too much ale after all.

He closed the door behind himself and I heard the lock click into place.

I rolled onto my side and closed my eyes. It had been some time since I had been this drunk. I had almost forgotten. Mercifully I fell asleep quickly to Teucer’s light breathing.

 

Thorn and I walked through the dirty winding streets of the island city. A city full of every vice for a price. All we were interested in, however, was a warm and safe bed. We found a run-down inn directly next to a run-down brothel.

“You boys looking for a little fun?” one of the whores called. She shook her red colored hair out of her face and pulled her skirt up far enough to not only show what was for sale but to make me wonder why she even bothered wearing a clothes at all.

When we made for the inn’s entrance, she called out to us and frantically grabbed out behind the brothel’s doorway. “There is something for all tastes here!” She pulled a young man out by the ear.

He looked at the two of us with fear. “Whatever you want,” he said with wide frightened black eyes.

I pushed Thorn through the inn’s door.

“Degenerates!” the woman shouted after us.

The sour looking keeper showed us to a small room with a bad lock. I jammed a broken chair against it.

“I’m exhausted,” Thorn sighed and leaned against the wall the remove his outer armor. I came over to him and helped with the straps. “You are always so good to me…” He smiled.

I took my time and caressed him. He giggled softly. When I got to his trousers, I made him groan with my touches. My hands guided him to bed. I shed my clothes quickly and climbed in. His eyes were closed, but his body was awake and I massaged him gently until he moaned. It was not long before he rolled to face away from me allowing me more.

His exquisite warmth sent shivers through my entire being. I repeatedly embraced that warmth. For those moments, his body, his life, and his soul were intertwined with mine.

When he rolled to face me once more, I held him as closely as he held me. We were complete.

 

I woke in the night. Feeling cool. I looked at the fire running low and the pile of wood beside it. Teucer lay on the far edge of the bed snoring softly. My head fought me as I tried to stand.

I staggered my way over to the fireplace, getting colder with every step. I tossed two logs on and stumbled back. Teucer murmured in his sleep. I climbed back in and pulled the blankets up close. He quieted down again before long.

 

The moon shown down on Leaf. He smiled wryly. He knew I was watching. I lay below him. His face was down, his eyes closed, his hands raised to his patron. I reached up to caress his jaw with my palm. I felt him lean into it.

He actually wanted me to touch him.

I stroked his glowing face.

‘This did not happen,’ a voice somewhere inside my mind said.

‘I don’t care’ came the response from somewhere even more deeply hidden inside.

He brought his hand to mine and pulled me up to face him. I looked into his closed eyes and felt his peace. We walked back to town touching hands and made our way to Fin’s house and the small room we had shared once before.

He crawled into the bed and made room for me at his side. We rested in the dark, our knuckles barely grazing each other.

Without warning, there was a shifting and movement on the bed. He was moving towards me. I felt his leg next to mine and then his arm. I froze where I was. His leg crossed mine and one arm crossed my chest to my other side. Something grazed my private area.

He effortlessly lowered his entire body onto me. I felt his mouth graze my chin. With small caresses his lips parted my lips. The touch of his tongue sent a rush to my groin. He pulled away and I searched for him with my mouth. I could not see in the dark, but felt his warmth send shivers through my entire being. I was engulfed by his heat.

I felt the covers tucked back and I chanced a squinted peek into the dark room. I heard shuffling and could see his shadow pulling on its pants. The door opened slightly and he edged his way out, but before closing the door he smiled at me. I rolled on my side and tried to sleep.

 

I woke to the sound of Teucer’s rhythmic breathing. My head ached a little but my stomach and the rest of my body felt surprisingly felt fine. Small specks of light shown from the low embers on what remained of the fire.

Slowly, I untangled myself and pulled back the covers. Cool but not cold. Just a little swaying brought me over to the remaining wood. I set one more log on the fire and sat down to pull on my clothes. I did not remember removing my under armor, but they were warm from being on the chair next to heat all night and felt luxurious against my skin. When I leaned forward the second time for my regular trousers, my head spun. I leaned back, closed my eyes, and waited for the sensation to pass. Once manageable, I opened my eyes to try again.

Begayar’s bottles sat on the mantle near me. I took and tasted one. It had a tea like flavor but I was unsure what it was made from. I drank the rest and settled back into the chair.

Later, I woke from my doze to Teucer coughing on the bed. I slowly grabbed the second bottle and brought it to him.

“From Begayar. Drink.”

He did so without protest.

“Sleep.” I gently patted his shoulder. He lay back and I pulled the covers up close over him again. After a few moments, his breathing became regular. I quietly dressed and left.

The sun was high as I exited the inn.

I walked toward the boats to see what word had been given. A large canopy was being erected over Phaetheon’s ship.

“Well you look fine enough,” Marius smiled.

I nodded… and surprisingly my head didn’t hurt. Whatever Begayar had given us, had worked. I felt a familiar hand on my shoulder.

“How is Teucer doing then?” Phaetheon smiled. It felt as if it had been weeks since I had seen him actually look happy.

“Sleeping it off.” I shrugged.

He laughed. “I would think so. I hear he got the worst of it.” He turned and looked at Marius. “Again…” He smiled.

“That wasn’t our fault!” Marius laughed.

I pointed up at the ship.

“For the evening meal, a private affair. We want to make a good show of it, the old King did not really give us a chance.”

A lot of activity was happening on the boat and off. Cooking spits were being tended on the shore. Phaetheon was trying to make this a grand event, one worthy of a King.

“There you are!” Revinn bowed to Phaetheon and then clapped me on the back. “Care to try your luck again today? Who knows what the woods will send you?” He grinned broadly.

Marius chuckled. Phaetheon’s eyes watched in thought.

I shook my head slowly.

“Ah, more rest for tonight then… good plan… I had hoped to attend…” Revinn looked away.

“I am sure it could be arranged,” Marius said as he stroked his chin and looked at Phaetheon.

Something registered behind the thinking eyes.

“Yes,” Phaetheon said slowly. “Yes, you should come. Be my invited guest.”

Revinn beamed at the special invitation and excitedly bowed to Phaetheon who nodded in return.

Marius smiled. “I understand there is a bathhouse?”

“Of course,” Revinn nodded with a smile.

“It will be nice to have a warm bath instead of the cold sea.” Marius grinned.

“I will show you the way. Are you coming?” They looked at me.

“Later.”

“Suit yourself. See you this evening then.”

Revinn made to bow again.

“Truly sir, although I am honored, that is not necessary.” Phaetheon smiled.

“Thank you sir.”

“Come on, show me this warm bath.” Marius nudged Revinn. They walked off talking about the evening to come.

“He seems like a good fellow,” Phaetheon said. “A fine ally perhaps…”

I nodded.

“Well, time will tell. Now as for you…” He faced me directly. “I have a favor to ask.”

 

I was allowed the bathhouse to myself. A luxury afforded by my status of killing a Midnight Stag twice. The villagers had finally let me be alone inside. Even on the way, I had been approached a few times. One was a straight offer of flesh for the taking. Another, a request to provide the gift of a baby through my seed. There was even a young man who approached. I waved him off to avoid finding out what his request was. I had bolted the door so no more offers would be made while I was unclothed.

I sat and relaxed into myself. Peace and quiet before this evenings activities. I would survive. I trusted Phaetheon enough to keep things comfortable for me. He had always been true to his word.

There was a gentle knock at the door.

“Talon?” It was Leaf. I rose, wrapped myself, and padded to the door.

“It’s Leaf. Can I join you?” I unbolted and let him in before relocking the door. He set down a large sack.

“Clothes from Phaetheon.” He shrugged. “Good to see you doing well. After last night, I was wondering how you were.” He grinned.

I smiled and got back in the warm water. It was nice to spend my alone time with Leaf. I felt he genuinely cared in a way I had not felt since...

“Teucer looked a little green when I saw him earlier, but not nearly like I would have expected.”

I nodded. He undressed and stretched before slowly entering the water opposite. The dream from the night before briefly flashed before me. I had forgotten. The sight, the touch. He smiled and as he settled in; my chest tightened. He sighed and leaned back. I wanted to touch him.

“Tonight will be quite a big deal. I hope everything goes smoothly for Phaetheon.”

I nodded.

“If all goes well, I understand that we can head out and across the sea.” His eyes lazily opened, but the pupils were wide with excitement.

I smiled at his enthusiasm and felt warm, but not from the water. He slid back and under the water. I saw his form coming toward me. For one moment I thought… maybe… then he came up at my side and relaxed again. After a few moments so did I.

“There was something else I was supposed to tell you.” He leaned into me and I held my breath. “About Begayar, when he left…”

I must have looked surprised.

“What? Begayar left, I thought you knew.” He looked deeply into my eyes. “He left with a caravan headed to Bald Cliff.”

I nodded. That made sense, but he had not said anything, not even a goodbye, not that he owed me one, still. But, no wonder Phaetheon looked different, happier. There had been something there, but I could not put my finger on it. Relief? Begayar had come into our lives as a puzzle and left as one.

“One of his parents was from there I think. Anyway, before he left he told me to give you a message. I am not sure what he meant entirely but…” He leaned in close to my ear. “He said to thank you for ‘saving his mortal life’ and in return he ‘gave you immortality.’”

We looked at each other. We were so close. Droplets ran down across his cheek. A lock of his wet hair draped across his brow.

“I know, I did not know what he meant either. Then he said something like ‘whether it was blessing or a curse, he was to blame.’”

Again, we stared at each other. Another drop of water ran off his shoulder. He was a sitting distraction.

“I asked him what he meant, he only bade me well and told me to…” he paused and blushed, “…continue to following the way shown to me.” He looked away. “Then he said goodbye and jumped on the wagon.”

I gazed at his neck and shoulders. We sat in silence for a few moments. He was close enough to hear him breath.

“Any ideas?”

I shook my head. My mind was blank.

“Well, he seemed to think you would…”

I shook my head again. Part of me was relieved Begayar and his odd presence were moving father from Leaf and I.

I shrugged, lay back in the water, and closed my eyes, happy to be where I was, with who I was with.

 

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Imortality is not always in a fleshly sate of being. I am glad you decided to post again. It was a story that I regreeted leaving unfinished in my reading.

Thanks,

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Agreed, it is not always about the physical, it is different things to different people.

I still continue to struggle with the line... for me it is not merely about tense, but about possibilities.

Which implies what or more?

 

Heads: he 'gave you immortality'

Tails:    he 'gives you immortality'

 

Thank you again for continuing to follow and commenting.  Your thoughts are truly appreciated.  Hugs.

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..