Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,503 Words
  • 1,110 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 38. Going, Going, Gone

“His name is Teucer,” Leaf said while not gesturing to the young man in Phaetheon’s party.

 

“Know that name… long time ago.” I recalled the guide from Stag’s Pass. It was possible, he had the look of those men. I suddenly wondered if he shared the same secret they did. He still never really approached me and only gave those strange looks on occasion before looking away abruptly.

“Stag’s Pass.”

Leaf nodded. “He didn’t really say. I spoke with him a little. I think may be in some type of awe of you actually.” He grinned. “Like a hero or something. He would have been old enough to remember when you defended the gates into the pass right?”

I must have told Leaf about that at some point. The stab I felt from the memory was momentary. I shook my head and the recollection from my head.

“You should try talking to him.”

During all the time we had spent near the rock of creation, he always seemed present, but in the background. I did not try to make conversation.

Finally, the day came when Phaetheon announced he would need to leave. He had affairs to attend to elsewhere and although he wished to stay, he had strayed from his mission too long.

A feast was to be held in his honor, one attended by both sets of brothers. It would be a grand affair as far as the humble valley could provide, but it would be one to be remembered for years to come.

The day was spent gathering all that would be needed for the celebration. It was felt that we should gather together in sight of the rock. We needed to keep a respectful distance of course, so the farthest edge of clearing was selected. Both lodges brought food and all manner of items needed to the spot.

Once the cooking fires started, more people began to relax and talk. Phaetheon sat near the fire in the center and made sure to keep available for everybody and anybody. His skill in keeping all sides happy continued to amaze me. He had told me days before of his intention to leave and of his fear things would sour in the valley again. He maintained that he wanted to leave this place better from knowing him and this would be his final chance. He did not expect to visit here again.

He smiled and talked with this one and that one and in those moments it seemed the rivalries and paranoia were forgotten. He even asked after the sentries left behind at the lodges and had food brought to them.

Blade came to me as I sat under the trees slightly apart from the celebrants. He looked down, there was a question, a concern in the furrows of his brow.

“Can he be trusted do you think?”

I searched his eyes. They were on Phaetheon.

“I have been so long away from the world, I could easily be fooled. Truly, is he a good man?”

I nodded.

He exhaled. There was something else. He was not satisfied if he knew the right answer to his own question. I handed him some ale. He gulped it down.

“He wants for me to return with him…” he blurted out, “To his homeland… to continue to teach him… maybe others…”

It was odd, but then again, Phaetheon’s motivations had always seemed obscure.

“I do not desire it… well, maybe I do… a little. The thought intrigues me. The world. To be among others again.” He sighed. “I will mediate with the Pater. He will tell me what to do. Perhaps my work here is at an end. Will you come with me?”

We trailed out into the low sun. This time when we approached, we removed our shoes. I knelt at his side and pushed my hand into the soil. It was warm and soft. I had barely closed my eyes before I felt the peace take hold of my soul.

I thought of what I had learned in my life and everything I had done up until now and what I still needed to know until the end.

I thought more about where I came from and my old home in the mountains where I’d been born. My family long gone, the times with my friends.

I thought about Mari and his unwavering warmth and kindness. I hoped he still lived. He was by himself and who would check on him.

I thought of all the lives in Rigger’s Cove. I would always be welcome there. It was not my home though. It was the home of the next generations.

I thought of Leaf. He remained with me without any question at all. I didn’t even know why. He comforted me and I felt good in his presence.

I thought about Thorn. I missed him so much even after all these years. There would be no replacement for what he had given me.

I thought about the future of trade and what might be happening thanks to Phaetheon. The world I knew and the world I had visited.

I thought about Greenwater. What would it become? A safe trading harbor for the all races. A prosperous port for all.

I thought of Stag’s Pass. They were free to either open up or close down to the outside world. The choice was safely theirs alone.

I thought of Joachim and Kjartanei. I hoped they had found happiness and found peace where and with whom they wanted.

I thought of Blade and the brothers. They had found peace here. Blade longed for the world now. It was in his eyes. He still wanted to do good.

I thought about my life and where and what and why I was searching. I was free, yes, but my life was still blank. No reason, no purpose.

I thought about the Artifex Pater to whom I was mediating for some sign. I hoped for an answer and guidance from him desperately.

I thought and thought and thought. More parts of my life came in went in much the same way they did when I experienced them

I thought of the statue in Arrowpoint. It was a beautiful and eternal comfort to me even though everything around it had changed.

I thought about saying here in Pater’s service. When the ground started to feel cold and hard once more, I knew it was time to leave.

I looked up and saw Blade studying me with a soft, caring face and knowing smile. We both knew this was not the place for me, as it had not been back them.

“Did you get any answers?” he asked gently.

I nodded.

Blade sighed. “I’m going with Phaetheon. He’s a good man. My time here is done, maybe I can do some good over there and teach him and can spread the knowledge of the Pater. From what Phaetheon said, the Artifex is as their god. If he is not that different from ours, maybe they are one in the same after all.” He paused.

“Will you come with us?”

We returned to the circle and Blade once again took his place at Phaetheon’s side. It was not long before Blade leaned to him and whispered something. A broad smile crossed Phaetheon’s face.

Blade’s decision had been made and, in a way, mine had been as well. I sought out Leaf. He sat with a small group containing Teucer and some of the brothers. He was clearly enjoying himself. The talk was of the events of the world, what was known outside of this small enclave.

I motioned to him to follow me. He smiled, and nodded. No questions in his expression. After a moment, he slipped away easily. Only Teucer’s eyes followed him and drifted to me. As was his way, his soft eyes focused on me before realizing himself and then a quick glance down and away.

Leaf and I walked, side by side, away from the people, music, and fire. He didn’t ask, and I did not say. He had grown on me in ways I had not expected nor intended. If he would not go, I would miss him. Terribly.

We entered the woods near the rock.

“Are you alright?” his voice whispered.

“Phaetheon…”

“Yes…”

“Leaving tomorrow…”

He hung his head.

“Going with him…” I didn’t know what else to say. He looked up at me then down again and stopped walking. I halted and turned to him.

“Do you think he would take me with him too?”

My mouth dropped and before I could stop myself I closed the distance and hugged him tightly. My heart swelled.

“What about…” I struggled with my concerns.

He pulled away to look me in the eye.

“They knew when I left, we would be gone a long time… possibly a really long time…” He smiled. “…just like yours knew…” He put a hand on my shoulder. “…and knew we might not come back.”

I nodded.

 

~ ~ ~

 

The morning after was quiet and calm. Leaf and I made our way to the rock to speak with the Artifex Pater one more time. We were not the only ones who wanted that conversation. A small group, including Blade, sat on the ground around the stone. We took off our shoes and joined them.

When I did not feel soft ground in my hand, I knew for sure this was not the place for me. I should go. The Artifex would be with me wherever the remaining years of my life would take me.

When I opened my eyes, I realized Leaf and I were the last ones in the clearing. He smiled at me as we stood.

The farewells at the lodge were quick but heartfelt, and as a group we crossed to the opposite side of the valley to the house of the other brothers. We were greeted and praised as one. Once everyone’s final farewells were made, we met in front of their lodge. Horses and wagons were readied and we set out on the adventure before us.

Our caravan wound its way down through the passes. Travelers had made this path much easier than the one Leaf and I had used in coming to the upper valley. Our downhill journey stopped at nightfall, next to a small, clouded lake.

“Rockslides from the rain.” I overheard from near the fire. “It made the water mostly sludge. Not many fish left. It’s dead now.”

We slept peacefully and woke to a fine mist.

“Rain coming.” Blade shook his head.

Our kept our pace even, the horses sure and steady. By midday, we regained flat ground and remained ahead of the rain. By the end of the afternoon we trotted quickly, the rain advancing on our heels. We headed to the gates of old Kroun Fort, one of my peoples.

I truly did not realize how large our party was until we arrived, were greeted, and places found for us to sleep inside its relatively safe walls. We filled the entire enclosure. This mountain outpost of sorts did not see many dignitaries of Phaetheon’s status and they were thrilled to have him once more. All of us, friend, foe, ally, or enemy in our company were welcomed. I was told that on his initial trip in towards the rock, he charmed the people who lived here by treating them as equals. These people who scratched a life from the rocks were treated to kind dignity and respect. He spoke with the high and low throughout his travels and they in turn fell over themselves to please him.

The town’s master gave Phaetheon his home and the rest of us as much as could be given. Food, makeshift shelter, and space to stretch. The small outpost provided its best and kept us dry.

The rains turned into a storm the next day. In the meager surroundings, we kept as warm and dry as possible. I lay close to Leaf at night. He was a constant source of warmth and enthusiastic happiness. I was glad he had decided to come with, I could not imagine laying down cold and wet without him. In any case, after two nights of rain, we woke to a clear morning and spent the day drying out. We slept well and were on our way the following dawn.

The next night, we slept encamped in the Fold. It was a resting point where the forest met the mountains. Traveled enough to be flattened many times over, yet it was untraveled enough to be rough and devoid of recent activity.

“I have never been this way,” whispered Blade in the growing dark.

I shook my head. Of course he had not.

“What are their tales?” He pointed to Phaetheon’s men, Marius and some of the others.

I shrugged. “Saved my life once… twice…”

“Hmm…” He looked thoughtful. “Pater’s plan is often obscure.” Then he studied Leaf. “Even through a heathen.”

I turned to him sharply.

“He worships the moon.” His eyes bored into me for a moment. “Surely you have known this?”

I nodded.

Blade looked around at the others. “So many gods among them.” He sighed.

I glanced at Leaf laughing in the firelight. He had been there for and was good to me. He was as dear to me as anyone since Thorn. He was my present. Blade was my best and closest family. He was my past. I needed to plan for a future.

“Well, I am off to sleep. More miles before the end. Thank goodness for the horses. Will you ride with me tomorrow?”

I nodded.

“Goodnight then.” He walked away from the light into the shadowed side of the wagon.

 

If Leaf was surprised by the change in our riding positions, he did not show it.

“No. He is your blood. Ride with him.” He said easily. “I will ride up with the supplies.” He handed me the reigns. “See you at midday.” He called to the nearest wagon driver.

Blade and I talked more about what we knew of what was left of our family. I still left out the exact circumstances of how I had found Wheat. We both agreed though that if she had gone to the Capitol, she would be safe and carry on the family.

I found Leaf at the mid-day rest and we ate together at the edge of the river we had stopped at. We were busy with our meals and provisions, and before we knew it, the call went out to mount up. I rode once more with Blade. Teucer consented to share his horse and helped Leaf up behind him. Some deep part of me did not much care for the growing friendship between them, but who was I to raise my voice.

The sun had already set when we reached our next refuge. It had recently become our allies’ town, so recently in fact that it did not have a new name and the old one, the one of the enemy, was not spoken. Much as with Kroun Fort, we were welcomed with honor and respect, although this time I sensed some fear, or suspicion.

“Your peoples are so strange,” Galehault remarked. “They don’t approve of us being ‘not the enemy’ of either side. Though I suppose it is the same everywhere,” he added with a yawn.

Two guards were staring at Leaf with undisguised disgust. They seemed to hold Leaf in particular in a lower regard, a traitor to his faction. They did not even give those looks to the brothers related to the enemy. It was Leaf that held their anger.

I slept close to him that night. I wanted to be near and keep him safe. I woke to him along my back for warmth and Blade staring at me.

I nodded. He nodded once and walked away to tend the horses.

Before approaching Ashnight Village, we were told to stay close and keep quiet. They would be expected to welcome us for the sake of the foreign dignitary, namely Phaetheon, but we would not be welcomed into their hearts.

Indeed, we were sequestered behind the main lodge with guards posted to keep eyes on us. I could not understand what all was said as their tongue was not known to me.

“The brothers say we do not want to know,” Blade said when he returned from whispering with the ones from the other lodge.

Our wagon train left quietly the following morning under the scrutinizing stares of the guards and townsfolk. We were joined by a few locals in a separate wagon and a few horsemen. I understood. Any traveling group was better than none. They would walk with us at least some of the way. With no midday rest, we came to the flattened field at the junction of roads well before sunset. It was to be the final night before arriving at the coast and Phaetheon’s ships.

“Four of them,” Marius enthused. “Plenty of room for cargo and crew.”

“They have been sitting at Rag Outpost all this time?” Leaf shook his head in disbelief.

“No, no,” Marius chuckled. “They have been scouting and trading in pairs. Two at a time. Two in the harbor, two out. They come back at full moon for a week, then repeat if we do not meet them.”

“Captain Haronus keeps everything running smoothly,” Phaetheon added, suddenly appearing at my side. “Between him and Persephon, we learn a lot about the local peoples.”

Marius leaned in. “Persephon is second in command.” He winked.

“Such a huge… organization…” Leaf sat back and shook his head.

“Sometimes not organized enough,” Phaetheon smiled. “But we can cover most contingencies.”

He was staring at Leaf in a way that was most familiar and yet somehow uncomfortable. Phaetheon was thinking. Something about Leaf. He was planning or considering Leaf in the larger picture. I cannot say I liked it. Leaf was ‘my’ friend. Teucer approached us and sat next to Leaf. ‘My’ friend. I abruptly stood, nodded, and went to our sleeping place. I lay awake, unable to find sleep until I felt Leaf beside me.

We woke with the sun and mounted up quickly. The locals who had come from Ashnight parted company and pursued a different path than ours. The morning was crisp and clear, the early afternoon quiet. Once we came to the break in the woods at the top of the hills leading down to the outpost we came to a stop. Blade and Leaf looked at me. I shrugged. We were near the rear so all we could do was stand and wait.

It did not take long to find out what the problem was. Three of our ships were visible, not two or four, and the three were not moored in the harbor. They appeared to be anchored farther out in the bay.

“Something must be going on in the Outpost,” Galehault said. Blade nodded. “From our scouts, the gates appear to be blocked.”

“Surely, Phaetheon must have a plan for this?” Leaf looked among us. “To get aboard.”

“He is always thinking ahead. Don’t worry,” Teucer whispered to him.

We waited a long time. Phaetheon’s men kept themselves on alert and so did we. Yet, we waited. Decisions were being made. At one point we saw Galehault and another man return from scouting out the area. Blade sat and meditated. Leaf silently stood close making the time bearable.

Word came back through the line we were heading off trail and circling around down to the beach. We kept close, each wagon, man, and horse, bunched together.

Not long after we began, Marius appeared. Stopping at each end every group.

“Any of you strong swimmers?” He looked among us.

I shook my head.

“Why?” Blade whispered.

“We are going to try and send out a small coracle from the far edge of the bay out to our boats, to tell them where to find us. We wanted to man it with strong swimmers… just in case…”

When Leaf stepped past me, I felt my heart sink.

“Who do I report to?”

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..