Jump to content
    Ranveer
  • Author
  • 2,310 Words
  • 648 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Murder At Lake Mohank - 4. Chapter 4. Hiking Through His Heart

Shortly after dawn, we set off on the hike, with dense primal looking green forest surrounding the narrow curving trail. Everyone was brimming with exuberance, myself included, though mine could be part attributed to an altogether different reason.

Things had gone slightly lukewarm between him and me. We had had just a minimal of conversation. Of course, anything would have seemed slightly pale compared to the previous night, I knew, and I was ok with that.

The trail wound deeper and deeper into the forest. We set off all together, but pretty soon we were divided into two groups. one of those that hurried forward at pace, and the rest of the group that liked to walk at a leisurely pace. He was among the trail-blazers, while I was content being with the laggards. Soon enough, they had moved so far forward, they were no longer visible up ahead. Of course, it stung me just a little, that he hadnt chosen to stay with my group. But it was just a minor dampener.

Yash, one of my friends, was chatting with me as we walked passed trees and ferns that were quite alien to me, I dint even know the names of most of them. I was trying to keep up with the conversation, but it was too hard, with my mind preoccupied with other thoughts. Every now and then, I was having to nod my head in affirmation just to pretend I was listening to what he was saying. I suddenly had an idea.

"Do you live in the same area as Balbhadra" I inquired in a tone low enough for only him to be able to hear. As soon as I had spoken that, I realized I could have framed it a little better "Does Balbhadra live in the same area as you do."

"Yeah" he replied belatedly, slightly baffled by my abrupt inquiry. I decided not to probe further for the moment, it seemed slightly awkward, going by the tone in which he had replied. We walked on for a while in silence, past more greenery.

What started off as just a pointy little bud soon turned into a full fledged jagged barbed wire, entrapping my mind, brashly rupturing any line of thought that tried to fill my attention, rendering me incapable of concentrating on anything else. I was dimly aware that the trail wound toward left from where we started off and that we were going slightly uphill, perhaps toward a hill top or a higher plateau. the trees all round were so dense, it wasnt possible to look too far forward and as such gauge the exact topography of the rugged terrain.

I was having trouble keeping up with the group that I was in, and eventually started drifting further and further back, until I was all alone. It actually felt good to be all alone, with no one piffling me. At least, it was a setting in sync with how I was feeling.

I tried to take stock of how things were, rather, tried to review the events from a realistic perspective. There was this guy, I knew little about, who I had by chance ended up sharing a room with. He had been friendly and nice toward me, spent some good time with. Perhaps it was the romantic setting, that was to be blamed for the sensations that had been induced, perhaps it was just my subconscious working overtime, trying to compensate for all the pessimism that my conscious usually harbored.

In any case, I had to admit, it wasnt much. perhaps not even a molehill, that I was trying to make a mountain out of.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps approaching from somewhere up ahead, and before I could attune my mind to decide what it could mean, I saw him walking towards me.

"What are you doing here? You intend to get lost?" he asked as he came near, and a few more questions that dint quite register, I was too startled.

"If you dont know, where you are headed when you start off, technically you cant get lost." I eventually countered, "Since no one bothered to inform me, and judged me innovative enough to find my way through, in case they abandon me, I dont see any base for your accusations." Involuntarily, ABANDON had come out stressed. I wondered though, if he could read the sense of relief in my eyes, on seeing him.

"Come, lets join the others" he said, and started walking with me in the same direction that he had come from. His reply seemed oddly inadequate, in response to the lengthy bit of rant that I had thrown at him. The complaint would have lingered a bit longer, if not for the fact that as he turned to walk with me, he placed his arm around my shoulder. A simple friendly gesture for him, of care perhaps, it meant something more to me.

I was concentrating hard, trying to keep focused on not losing my footing on the dense undergrowth, the trail was almost non-existent here. My eyes might have been occupied, but the other receptory senses were at work too, and there was very little I could do about it. My shoulder burning up to the touch of his warm skin, and the wild voracious fragrance that had me giddy. He was almost carrying me, I was much too intoxicated to be in control of what was happening. I had just one wish, if it were to be true - that the trail never ended, that we never ever caught up with the others, that we kept walking like that, for as long as....... eternity.

Eventually we came to a fork, one path leading straight on, while another narrower trail going downhill.

"Where does this go?" I asked curiously, as we were about to continue on the main path.
"The lake." "
Are we not going to the lake?"
"Yes, we are. eventually. but we will take the main route. It passes the famous and historic Buddha Caves. Besides, this short cut is just too treacherous. The others must be up ahead, on the main path. Lets not waste time."
"May be they took the short cut too." I argued.

"Yes? and who made these footprints?" I could see he was right. Numerous footprints in the muddy track going straight on.
"I am tired.", I persisted like a child throwing a tantrum.
"Shall I carry you?" he chuckled.
"No but, lets take this short cut. That way, we will be able to catch up
with the others sooner, and also, we wouldnt need to walk as much. Whats so bad about this track?"

He still seemed unsure.

"Well, its your choice, either you join me or you go on, I am taking the short cut in any case.", I made my intentions clear. Perhaps I was just trying to get back at him, for having abandoned me earlier, by being reckless. Or like I just needed to stomp my foot down.

"Ok, as you wish. Dont blame me" He finally agreed, albeit reluctantly.

He picked up a medium sized branch that was lying nearby, and with it, made a large arrow, easily visible, on the ground pointing towards the narrow path.

And we set off. He led the way forward, and I was quite happy to follow him. Almost at once, I realized the slope was not as gentle as it had appeared. The forest around us grew more lush, the ground ferns six feet high, obscuring our view ahead. I heard the distant roar of water. The land began to slope downward more sharply, and we couldnt see our footing because of the ferns. Soon the path turned to a sloshy muddy track. Balbhadra slipped, grasping at branches and shrubs to break his slide. I watched as he slipped and slid, and then with a yell, he was gone.

I was not sure what to do. I continued to pick my way downward, grabbing branches for support. Then, I too, lost my footing, slapped down hard in the mud on my backside, and slid. tumbling down the mud, I banged into trees, felt branches scratch at my face, but could do nothing to stop my descent. I went down the hill, and down.

I staggered forward, knee-deep in boggy marsh at the edge of the pond. Mud clung to my face, my hair, my clothes. Pushing past the last of the tangles along the waters edge, I stepped out, to be greeted to the most spectacular scene I had ever laid my eyes upon.

Surrounded by cliff faces, ranging from fifty to a hundred yards high, was a pristine pool of water, reflecting all the shades of green, from light emerald to olive to aquamarine to dark jade, mirroring the various trees and shrubs and ferns that lined the shore, and the lichen covered rocks at the rim. Bright yellow butterflies busily fluttered their broad wings over lilacs and daisies that seemed to have blossomed out of the rock crevices. There were a great many trees around- some just beyond the banks, some high above the cliff tops, some protruding out of the cliff faces. The air was cool and faintly fragrant; with traces of Chamomile, Lavender, Vetiver, and Jasmine. White herons waded through the shallows, birds sung from the trees, little sparrows chirped happily as they flew high above the lake surface. There was a sudden rush of adrenaline, on seeing the water up close and so alive, teeming with fragrance sound and color.

Rushing out from somewhere deep within one of the cliff faces, from a height of about thirty or so feet from the bottom, were a series of waterfalls; white clear streams of water rushing out, filling the air with a deep mist as they landed on the otherwise placid lake surface.

And standing right there, not easily visible at first sight, beneath the roaring waterfalls was he. Clad in nothing but the bare minimums, enjoying the bath, like an angel taking a shower. As I approached closer, cautious, to avoid being swept off my feet in more ways than one, I realized it was a sort of rocky bed, a platform directly beneath the falls, that he was standing upon.

Water, white as a solitary cloud in mid-summer-noon skies, streamed down his fair forehead; past his hair, as deeply black and lustrous as a forest pool under the shade of ancient oaks. The early morning sun peaked through the narrow gorge, the only one opening between the hills, casting a rainbow that ran in a semi-arc perpendicular to his tall frame. Little rivulets were hurrying down the contours of his muscled torso, converging upon his naval, resembling a riptide.

I was just a few feet away from him, when he opened his eyes, and waved cheerfully as he noticed me, beckoning me to join him. I had to be awfully careful and watch every single step, not to slip off the smooth rocks, as I approached him. No sooner did I reach within touching distance, than he grabbed me into a sort of embrace. I let myself comply with the moment, and the instinctive embrace. I could feel the beating of his heart, and the texture of his skin with this forearms placed on my shoulders. He was looking at me with the same alluring smile, as the night before, and dazzling me with the irrepressible charm of his soft hazel eyes.

If only I could look away from him for a moment, I wished in vain, as he held my eyes captive with his own, refusing to let go. Gently, he leaned across a little more, until we were close enough for his breaths to hit my face. Mesmerized and unable to think of anything else to do, I reached out and placed my own arms across his shoulders.

There was a sense of vulnerability in the way he looked at me. For the first time, he dint appear imperious, or confident; and if it was deliberate, which I dint think it was, he had chosen the perfect moment to be so.

Moments slipped by. Frozen as we were, in a half embrace, gazing into each others eyes. Finally, I felt perhaps he was letting me make the move, may be letting me make my choice. Though to be honest, I didnt really have any alternatives left at that point. I didnt wanna spend the rest of my life wondering at what could have been.

Hesitantly, I brushed my lips against his, immediately sending my lips into involuntary quivering. And it might have been more embarrassing if not for the fact that I soon realized the zing I felt could be part attributed to his lips too. Temptation beckoned again, as I recollected the texture of his supple warm lips that was unlike anything I had ever perceived. In a daze, at the caress that I had felt in that ever brief moment; gentle and caring and loving, I closed my eyes, trying to stash that sensation in some secure recess of my memory, to be cherished at will.

I felt him lift my hand, gently guiding it, until my palm was resting on what I assumed must be his chest., I still had my eyes firmly closed. I felt the frenzied throbbing of his heart, sending my own heartbeat pulsating at the rate of knots. The metallic edge of the rectangular locket that had been dangling on his pecs, was pressing into the sensitive veiny region of my wrist, just below the palm. But I was too deeply immersed in it by now for any pain to register itself. If anything, the slight prickle seemed to be accentuating the raw, primeval stimulation of the senses.

Copyright © 2013 Ranveer; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..