Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Summer - Road Trip Entry

Are We There Yet? - 3. Chapter 3

Okay, I was wrong. I wanted to go back home. What had possessed me to take a six-year-old to Disneyland? Tony and I had been dragged all over, and I was completely drained. Tony didn’t seem to be fairing much better. The plus side was, even Jake was tired. His never-ending energy had finally been exhausted.

“Please tell me we can go to the beach and relax tomorrow?” Tony collapsed on one of the beds as soon as we got into the hotel room.

“Actually, I was thinking.” I sat Jake on the bed and stripped him of his clothes as he swayed back and forth. I could tell he was beyond tired. “We have hotel reservations in San Diego tomorrow night.” Rather than try to get Jake completely dressed, I grabbed one of my t-shirts and pulled it over his head and then tucked him under the covers. He was asleep within seconds of his head hitting the bed.

“Okay, so San Diego tomorrow night. What’s the plan for the day?” Tony turned his head and looked at me. “Please tell me we’re not doing a second day of Disneyland.” Tony sat up, kicked off his shoes, and moved up the bed until he was resting against the headboard. He looked at Jake and smiled. “Though it was worth going. Jake had a great time.”

“Yeah, he did.” I walked over and joined Tony on the bed. It felt good to just relax after the hectic pace of the day. “And no, we’re not going back to Disneyland. I figured we could maybe go to the beach for a few hours tomorrow, eat lunch, and then head towards San Diego. It’s only a couple hour drive, so we may even be able to hit the beach there. Unless there’s something else you want to do.”

“No, that works for me.” Tony slid down and rested his head on my lap. “What’s the plan for while we’re in San Diego?”

Oh, my feet were going to hate this next part. “Jake loves the zoo.”

“Oh god.” Tony groaned. “Do you know how big that place is? How much walking there is?”

I laughed. “Yes, I do. Look at it this way; we have an entire day to let our feet recuperate from today.”

“Yeah, and we’ll need another day to let them recuperate after.” Tony sighed, but I could tell he wasn’t as put out as he acted. “But Jake loves the zoo, so the zoo it is.”

I lifted Tony’s head off my lap and lay down so we were face-to-face. “So far I’d say our first vacation as a family is off to a good start.”

Shit. I clenched my eyes shut, so I wouldn’t see his expression. That wasn’t what I meant to say at all. Yes, I felt like Tony was part of the family. Much more than my ex, Dave, ever was, even though I’d been with him for years. I just wasn’t sure if Tony felt the same way. We’d never really talked about it. Did he consider me and Jake his family? Was he at that point yet? We kept our own places, and Tony came over more often than he didn’t. The only time I was really able to go spend time at his place was when Jamie and Paul had Jake. Not that Jake wasn’t welcome, he was, but he got bored.

Tony had been quiet for so long I didn’t think he was going to respond. Maybe that was a good thing. Now I just had to figure a way to dig myself out of the hole I found myself in. I felt Tony moving on the bed, and he brushed his fingers against my face.

“Brad, look at me.”

I wasn’t sure I wanted to, not knowing what I’d see.

“Please.”

It was that whispered please that got to me. I opened my eyes. Tony smiled, shifted close, and pressed his lips lightly against mine. I felt a little dazed when he pulled back. I searched his eyes for the answer to what I had said, even though it hadn’t really been a question.

His smile got bigger. “I wanted to talk to you about that, now that I’m no longer Jake’s teacher.”

My face got warm as I remembered how hung up I’d been on that fact when we first got together.

“Even though the school had agreed to leave Jake in my class when we were dating, I was worried that if we started living together, they’d remove him. That wasn’t a chance I was willing to take. Now that’s not an issue.” For once, Tony was the one who looked uncertain. “I love you, and I love Jake. I’d like nothing more than for us to be a family, if you’re ready for that.”

I let out the breath I’d been holding. “I’m ready, and I think Jake is too.” I took a deep breath. “I’m happier with you than I’ve ever been with anyone, and just the thought of losing you feels like I’m being stabbed.”

Tony shook his head and leaned up on one elbow. He looked down at me. “There’s nowhere I’d rather be than with you and Jake. I’m not going anywhere.”

“I know. That’s the shocking part. Even though the thought scares me, I know you’re not going anywhere. I trust you not to hurt Jake. Or me.” I reached up and pulled him closer, but paused just before our lips touched to whisper what was in my heart. “I love you, Tony. Move in with us.”

“Yes.”

Tony’s slammed his mouth down on mine. He traced my lips with his tongue until I parted them and let him inside. He slid his free hand along my side as he twisted his tongue around mine. I groaned as I returned his kiss, but then I remembered and pulled back before we got too carried away.

“We can’t do this here.” I motioned toward the other bed where Jake lay sleeping. Thank god he hadn’t woken up.

Tony groaned and rested his forehead against mine. “When we get home, we’re going to take Jake to Jamie and Paul’s, and then”—he grinned—“we’re going to celebrate.”

“Sounds perfect.”

Copyright © 2015 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Summer - Road Trip Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I really enjoyed this story. :) I loved "Line of Sight" and it was great seeing these guys again. I only have one complaint...I want more! lol

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Reading about the simple pleasure a six-year-old gets, from a ride such as Dumbo's, made me smile. You captured the event just I saw it unfold hundreds of times, when i worked as a tour guide at Disney World.
I'd kind of forgotten about Line of Sight, and I'm still drawing blanks on Dave's departure's details, but the rest of the characters felt as if they were old friends.
Nice development in the love story, as a consequence of a road trip.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You know I loved the original story and this was just a sweet addition. Glad you came back to them and that they are finally getting a chance at a family. Beautiful story, Renee.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It's good to see the guys are moving forward and the little guy continues to be too cute. I really like this storyline because it shows trials and growth in ordinary events in such a fresh and interesting way. Wonderful job, Renee!!! Loved it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/12/2015 12:35 AM, Valkyrie said:

I really enjoyed this story. :) I loved "Line of Sight" and it was great seeing these guys again. I only have one complaint...I want more! lol

Thank you Valkyrie! I'm glad you enjoyed it as I enjoyed visiting the guys again. And yeah yeah, I know, more more more, lol. Don't worry, I still have plans for these guys at a later date.

Link to comment
On 06/12/2015 01:16 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Reading about the simple pleasure a six-year-old gets, from a ride such as Dumbo's, made me smile. You captured the event just I saw it unfold hundreds of times, when i worked as a tour guide at Disney World.

I'd kind of forgotten about Line of Sight, and I'm still drawing blanks on Dave's departure's details, but the rest of the characters felt as if they were old friends.

Nice development in the love story, as a consequence of a road trip.

Thanks Carlos. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and that it lived up to what actually happens. I was a bit nervous about that, having never been there myself. I wouldn't worry too much about Dave's departure, because I never actually showed it, just talked about it. And there wasn't a whole lot to it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/12/2015 09:38 AM, comicfan said:

You know I loved the original story and this was just a sweet addition. Glad you came back to them and that they are finally getting a chance at a family. Beautiful story, Renee.

Thank you Wayne, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It felt right to visit these guys again, but there is still more to their story, just have to write it :)

Link to comment
On 06/13/2015 06:55 AM, Cole Matthews said:

It's good to see the guys are moving forward and the little guy continues to be too cute. I really like this storyline because it shows trials and growth in ordinary events in such a fresh and interesting way. Wonderful job, Renee!!! Loved it.

Thank you Cole! I know, Jake is just adorable, love him to pieces. I'm glad you enjoyed the story as it gives a look into how their lives are going, but for someone who hasn't read the original, they hopefully won't be too lost. I'll definitely be visiting these guys again, as I already have some ideas for them.

Link to comment
On 4/3/2018 at 8:34 PM, BabyXander1990 said:

More please...

 

5 hours ago, Bft said:

That’s it??? 

This was way too short. 

 

As this was for an anthology, it was meant to be a shorter read. However, once my muse decides to actually let me write again, I do have one final story planned for these guys!

 

Thanks for reading!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Renee Stevens said:

 

 

As this was for an anthology, it was meant to be a shorter read. However, once my muse decides to actually let me write again, I do have one final story planned for these guys!

 

Thanks for reading!

You are welcome. 

Please don't wait to long as we might forget the characters 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..