Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Deliberate Encounters - 9. Ch. 8 ~ A New Reality

Simon groaned as he levered himself up from the hard floor of the cave. He would never again take having an actual bed for granted. After all of the excitement of the previous night he had managed to sleep until late morning and his mind was focused on what was going to happen later that night. He glanced around the spacious cave as he waited for Richard’s towering figure to walk through the entrance.

He was a bit nervous about what was going to happen but knew that it was what he wanted. The blood Richard had given him after the attack had already begun to affect his senses and he was curious about how the full change would affect him. He moved as close to the entrance as he could without risking Richard’s ire. He’d warned him before leaving to keep his distance from the opening in the mountain and to stay well away from the light that pierced the first fifteen feet of the cave. He sat on a flat rock protruding from the side of the cave and waited impatiently for Richard’s return. He smiled a greeting despite Richard’s scowl when he walked into the cave, his arms laden with pine boughs. He got up to help only to be stopped by Richard’s voice.

“Nope, you stay there.” Richard tossed out the order as he walked through the rays of light. “You shouldn’t even be that close to the cave opening. What if the sun managed to get to you?”

“I really don’t think the sun is going to search me out,” Simon quipped only to stop when Richard glared at him. He should know better than to make jokes about his safety. The previous night had only managed to heighten Richard’s protective streak and flippant comments were not received well. He fell in behind as Richard moved further into the cave to drop the pine boughs a safe distance from the fire pit.

“You feeling okay?” Richard asked for what seemed the millionth time. Even when they were sleeping Richard woke him up every couple of hours to make sure he wasn’t having any adverse effect to the blood he had been given.

“I’m feeling great.” Simon shook his head at the now patent answer. “Is this really necessary Richard? We haven’t even finished the blood transfer; I seriously don’t think the sun is going to affect me.”

“From the time the change was started you can experience the sensitivity of light, which makes keeping you out of the sun necessary.” Richard turned and pulled Simon into his arms. He smiled gently at the smaller man before pressing a kiss to his lips. “I’ll do whatever I have to in order to keep you safe. It has taken me too long to find you to risk you now.”

Simon pressed him his body closer until there was no point where they weren’t touching. “Nothing is going to happen to me.”

“Maybe not, but I won’t chance it.”

“If you’re not going to let me go in the sun, how are we ever going to know if I have your lack of sensitivity to light? Wouldn’t it be better to first attempt it before I’m fully changed?” Simon knew he’d won when he saw Richard’s lips thin. The man knew he was right but just didn’t want to admit it. “You know I’m right.”

“Fine, we’ll go outside, but we’ll go slowly. I’ll stay in front of you to block the worst of the rays until we see how your skin responds to it. If you try to go around me I’ll drag your ass back in here so fast…” Richard trailed off as though not sure how to finish the threat.

“Alright already, sheesh. It’s not like I want to get hurt or anything, but we need to know. It’s better to test it out now and see if I’m any more sensitive than I was before.” Simon tilted his head back so that he could meet Richard’s eyes. “Don’t worry, I won’t do anything stupid.”

“I can’t believe I’m doing this.” Richard released him from his grasp and led the way towards the entrance, mumbling under his breath the entire way. He stopped a good five feet from where the sunlight penetrated and turned back to Simon. “Promise me, if you feel different at all, you’ll tell me.”

“I promise,” Simon whispered back.

The fear Richard was exuding was impossible for him to ignore. He watched as Richard straightened his spine before turning and leading the way into the sunlight. He did as promised and stuck close behind Richard’s larger body. With the sun’s rays shining from directly above it didn’t really do any good, but if it eased Richard’s trepidation then he’s go along with it.

“You okay?” Richard glanced over his shoulder. He noticed Simon’s eyes were closed but didn’t say anything.

“I’m fine. You worry too much.” Simon opened his eyes only to let loose an agonized groan and close them again. He didn’t get the chance to say anything more as Richard shoved him back in the cave, away from the sunlight.

“You promised!”

“You didn’t give me the chance!” Simon twisted out of his grasp and glared up at him. “I was fine until I opened my eyes. The second the light hit them they felt like they were on fire.”

“I’m sorry. I should have thought of that since my own eyes are sensitive. Wait here and I’ll be right back.” He dropped a light kiss on Simon’s lips before turning and walking out of the cave. He hurried to where his Jeep was parked and grabbed his sunglasses out of the console before striding back to where Simon waited. “Try these.”

“What about you?” Simon took the proffered glasses and settled them on his face.

“My eyes aren’t as sensitive as yours. They used to be, but with time they got a bit better. I can withstand a little bit of time without the glasses.”

“Thanks.” Simon gave him a quick kiss. His mouth dropped open in surprise when Richard started leading him back towards the mouth of the cave. He had expected Richard to pull his caveman routine and drag him back to the inner chamber.

He heard Richard’s grunted reply as they walked and knew how had it to be for his lover to put him in possible danger. Love blossomed in his chest, stronger than anything he'd ever felt. It never ceased to amaze him that Richard was always willing to put his feelings and wants first. He knew that in the same situation he would do whatever he had to in order to make Richard happy.

Simon opened his eyes warily and despite the dark tinted sunglasses the glare still hurt, but not to the extent it had before. He waited to feel pain as the sunlight kissed his skin but only warmth spread over his exposed skin.

“How do you feel?” Richard’s voice came out gruffer than he’d meant it to.

“I feel great,” Simon answered. He took a few more steps and tuned in to the world around him. Birds were chirping, leaves were rustling in the breeze, and he could even hear elk in the distance. His ears picked up everything going on around him. And the smells! He'd never realized how many different smells a person could breathe in all at once nor how potent those scents could become. Some were instantly recognizable; the fresh pitch from the trees, the light flower essence from a multitude of wildflowers, but underlying those was a concoction of scents he couldn't even begin to put a name to. The combination was unlike anything he’d ever experienced and it highlighted all he’d been missing.

“Just wait until your change is complete.” Richard moved until he could wrap his arms around him. “Until you can feel even the slightest of touches against your skin. Until you can see the beauty of the world in ways you never even dreamed of.” He laid his chin on the smaller man’s shoulder and absorbed the breathtaking view spread out below them.. The cave overlooked the tops of the trees, small clearings breaking up the denseness of the forest. Deer grazed undisturbed on the lush grasses that grew on the forest floor. Even from above the trees his hearing picked up the gurgling sounds of a stream flowing through the forest.

“What do you mean?” Simon leaned back into the embrace and placed his hands overtop Richard’s.

“Your senses are already heightened, but once your change is complete they’ll be even more so. Stuff you never even noticed will catch your attention and even the most mundane things will seem exciting and new. I don’t really know how to explain it other than you become more aware of your surroundings.” Richard tilted his head and pressed a kiss to the tender skin of Simon’s neck.

“Mmm.” Simon cocked his head to the side to give Richard better access as waves of pleasure crashed through his body. His lids slid closed and he gave himself over to Richard’s caressing fingers. Every touch sent exquisite sensations skittering throughout his body making every nerve ending feel like it was coming alive from the simple touches that meant so much. He held on as long as he could before he turned in Richard’s arms. “Do we have to wait until tonight?”

Richard didn’t pretend to not understand the question. He lifted his head and once again studied the area surrounding them as he contemplated his answer. If only he knew whether Simon really wanted the change to be complete or if nerves were getting the better of him. He hoped it was the former but was terrified it was the latter.

“I’m not nervous. Well, at least not much.” Simon read the worry in Richard’s mind and hastened to reassure him. “I just feel like it’s going to be a new beginning for us and I don’t want to wait to start our new life together.”

“Have I told you how much I love you?” Richard whispered in his ear and fought back the tears that threatened to spill from his eyes. Simon’s dedication to him never ceased to amaze him and he realized once again how lucky he was to share his life with such a beautiful man.

“I love you too.” Simon turned until he could stare up into Richard’s watery eyes. “Change me, Richard. Make it so that nothing can take me away from you.”

Richard’s mouth dropped open in surprise as he struggled to form a reply. He tried to come up with words, he really did, but finally he turned and led them back into the depths of the cave. No words that Simon said could mean more to him than those he’d already spoken out loud. He felt his heart thumping in his chest, the beat fast and unsteady. He helped Simon lay on the bed of pine boughs and then lowered himself until he was propped next to his love.

“I love you,” Richard whispered and lowered his lips to Simon’s neck. He allowed his lips to linger as his canines elongated into fangs. He reached down to cradle Simon’s hand in his own as he bit into the tender skin to the vein beneath. Richard closed his eyes as blood flowed freely into his waiting mouth. He drank deeply of the sweet nectar, so full of life giving energy.

He took that part of Simon within himself and relished the feel of it joining with his own life’s blood, becoming a part of him. He pulled back to look at Simon’s peaceful, yet pale, face. His eyes were closed as if he was simply asleep and his lips were slightly parted.

“My life blood for yours.” Richard released his hold on Simon’s limp hand. He lifted his wrist to his mouth and bit down, releasing the abundance of blood from his own body. He held his wrist over Simon’s mouth and allowed the blood to flow into the parted lips. Three times Richard bit his wrist and fed his blood into his love before he was satisfied he had replaced what he took. He reached up and used his thumb to wipe away the stray crimson droplet that clung to Simon’s lips. He watched as Simon’s skin slowly began to regain its color and waited for his eyes to open. “C’mon Simon, come back to me,” he urged.

He checked the bite mark on Simon’s neck to make sure it quit bleeding and had begun to heal. He let out a sigh of relief when he saw the blood no longer flowed and two small blemishes were all that remained of the wound. He laid his hand on Simon’s chest and propped his head on his other hand as he waited. Richard started to get worried as an hour passed with no signs of Simon waking up. He was breathing, so that was a good sign. Maybe the full change just took longer than the partial change of the night before.

“Please Simon, wake up.” Richard choked back the emotions and slid down so he could lay his head on Simon’s chest. He listened to the reassuring sound of his heart beating and felt the rise and fall of his chest. He took those as good signs and continued to wait, his head pillowed on the warm chest and his hand holding onto Simon’s.

“Richard?” Simon’s voice came out throatier than Richard had ever heard it.

Richard jerked his head up at the sound and looked at the face of the man he held close to his heart. He studied Simon’s eyes for any regret, relief flooding him when he didn’t find it. He felt warm fingertips touch his face and pressed into the touch.

“You’re crying, why?”

It was true, he realized. He hadn’t dared to voice his fear, afraid he’d give it even more power. With the fear gone, relief had settled over him and the tears were simply a physical expression of it. He shook his head and swallowed the lump in his throat.

“How are you feeling?”

“Tired.” Simon stifled a yawn. He hadn’t been this tired after the exchange the night before and didn’t know why he did now. “I feel good, but I’m so sleepy. Is this normal?”

“I don’t know.” Richard loathed not knowing all the answers and exactly how the change would affect him.

Simon tried to shake off the feeling of lethargy that had settled over him. He needed to do one thing before he allowed it to claim him. He only hoped that Richard would go along with it and not fight him.

“Richard, I want to go outside.” Simon steeled himself for Richard’s denial.

“The sun…”

“We need to know and I would rather know now. You can wait in here if you want.” Simon knew he needed to do it, but if something went wrong it might be better for Richard to not have to witness it.

“If you are determined to try we’ll do it together.” There was no way Simon was going outside without him. He helped him to his feet and prayed for things to go well. Rather than walk in front like he had before, he linked his fingers with Simon’s and walked towards the mouth of the cave. “You ready?”

“Not really, but let’s get this over with. Whatever happens, know that I love you.”

“I love you too.” Richard pulled him into his arms and lowered his head until he felt Simon’s lips against his own. He delved his tongue into the warm mouth and savored every taste and feeling. If things went wrong… No, he wouldn’t think that way, after everything, the fates just couldn’t be that cruel. Richard lifted his head and smiled down at Simon’s face, the eyes closed and a small smile gracing the lips. “Let’s do this.”

Simon opened his eyes and took a deep breath. Together they walked into the sunlight to find out where the path of life and love would lead them.

Well, that's the final installment of Deliberate Encounters! The final story in the trilogy "Everlasting Encounters" will be out in the near future. Would love to hear what you think of the chapter, so please leave a review or visit the discussion group. I plan on posting my favorite scene from this chapter in the discussion group and would love to know what yours is!
Copyright © 2011 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hey sis! I just finished it and I should say I love it.

 

Well, to be fair I fell in love with the characters in Chance Encounters, so...

 

And I can wait to read the third book!

 

Also, I love how the story sometimes tug at my heart and it's a sure sign of good writing.

 

Last but not least, I love what you did with your pages.

 

 

Link to comment
On 05/07/2011 02:35 AM, Kev de Cauchery said:
Hey sis! I just finished it and I should say I love it.

 

Well, to be fair I fell in love with the characters in Chance Encounters, so...

 

And I can wait to read the third book!

 

Also, I love how the story sometimes tug at my heart and it's a sure sign of good writing.

 

Last but not least, I love what you did with your pages.

 

Thanks for the review, lil bro! Glad that you enjoyed this story. The third story is coming, I promise, just need to finish some other projects first, but I do have some of it planned already!
Link to comment
On 01/31/2012 06:15 PM, comicfan said:
Alright, so where is this last installment? I am not good at waiting! :lol:
I'm working on it, promise! lol... Hopefully the wait won't be too tedious! Thanks for all the reviews hon!!!
Link to comment
On 02/02/2012 12:14 AM, Terry P said:
Great chapter and end to this part of the trilogy. I also am looking forward to the next.

Love it.

Thank you for the review Terry! I'm glad that you enjoyed this story and are looking forward to the final story of the trilogy. Hopefully the wait won't be too long as I'm already working on the final one!
Link to comment

Amazing follow up to the first installment. I love these guys and I love the well thought out detail. The Change was handled beautifully and while I couldn't find the third installment, I sure hope it is coming! Kudos to you on a unique, romantic and intriguing story....cheers...Gary

Link to comment
On 07/27/2014 07:06 AM, Headstall said:
Amazing follow up to the first installment. I love these guys and I love the well thought out detail. The Change was handled beautifully and while I couldn't find the third installment, I sure hope it is coming! Kudos to you on a unique, romantic and intriguing story....cheers...Gary
Thanks Gary! I couldn't say which installment I enjoyed writing the most. Writing about the change to a were/vamp was an interesting experience and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Regarding "Everlasting Encounters", I am still planning to write it, I just ran in to a few issues with it and so it's not finished as of yet. I do still plan to finish the third installment and once it's done, it will be uploaded as well!
Link to comment
On 06/13/2014 05:55 AM, blankpage29 said:
Loved can't wait to read the third installment!
Thanks for the review blankpage! I still plan to finish the third installment, I just ran into some issues on it, but it will be uploaded as soon as it's finished!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..