Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Only One - 1. The Only One

Jesse stared at his reflection in the mirror. Today should be the happiest day of his life and it would be if it wasn’t for the cloud of deceit hanging over his head. He should have told Mike his biggest secret a long time ago, and now was definitely not the time to be thinking about it, but he couldn’t help it. He was supposed to marry Mike in less than an hour and now he wasn’t sure he was going to be able to go through with it.

How could he when Mike didn’t even know the type of man he was planning to marry. Sure, many couples had secrets, but he doubted that many of them carried around a secret of the magnitude that he had been hiding from Mike during their three year courtship. A knock sounded on the door and he was almost grateful for the interruption of his thoughts.

“Come in.” Jesse glanced briefly at the door before turning his attention back to his reflection. He straightened his tie and simply just fidgeted as he struggled with the weight on his broad shoulders. A hand fell on his shoulder and he met the blue gaze staring back at him with his own green one.

“You doing okay?” Thomas squeezed his shoulder and then turned Jesse to face him. “I just saw Mike, he’s probably almost as nervous as you are.”

Jesse smiled at the mention of his fiancé’s name, but his expression quickly sobered as he remembered the secret still festering inside him. After that, chances were that Mike would no longer be nervous, but that was only because he would probably be running for the hills.

“He’s taking it a lot better than I thought he would. I had really thought he might at least postpone the wedding after you told him.”

“I haven’t told him yet.” Jesse swallowed and forced himself to continue. “I’ve been trying to, I just haven’t been able to find the right time.”

“Jesse! There is no right time for something like this! You have to tell him, and tell him all of it!” Thomas was the only person, save himself, that actually knew how he had spent those first few years after leaving home.

“I know that! Do you think I want to marry him without him knowing? God, I’ve been trying, but every time I thought I was finally going to be able to come clean, he’d bring up something about the wedding.” Jesse dropped his head. He knew that placing the blame on Mike wasn’t fair, but it was easier than admitting the truth; that he was a complete and total coward.

“I won’t tell him,” Thomas frowned, “because it’s your secret to tell, but you really need to tell him before you say ‘I do’. Hiding something like this is no way to start your marriage.” Thomas shook his head, a sad smile on his face before he turned and walked out of the room, once more leaving Jesse to his thoughts.

“I can do this,” Jesse muttered. He didn’t have much of a choice, he had to do it. It would be wrong of him not to.

His mind made up, he left the room, his sense of dread growing stronger the closer he got to the room that Mike was using to get ready. Only a hundred feet and he’d be at Mike’s door. His steps slowed the closer he got until he was barely moving down the hall. He stopped in front of the white door and forced himself to lift his hand and rap his knuckles against the wood. He still hadn’t decided what he was going to say when the door opened, long before he was ready for it to. He looked up into Mike’s turquoise eyes and felt tears spring to his eyes.

“Jess? You okay?” Mike reached out and pulled him into his arms. “Not getting cold feet on me, are you?”

Jesse shook his head and let himself revel in Mike’s comforting embrace. This could very well be the last time he’d feel Mike’s arms around him and he wanted this moment to last as long as possible. He didn’t know how much time had passed before Mike pulled away, but it wasn’t enough and all Jesse wanted to do was climb back into that safe haven and forget that he had something to tell the man he loved. Something he should have told him a long time ago.

“We need to talk.” Jesse had meant those words to sound stronger, but they came out as barely a whisper.

“Now? Can’t it wait until after the ceremony?”

Jesse shook his head and turned to shut the door behind him before leading Mike deeper into the room. He glanced around and his gaze settled on the couch pushed up against one wall. He moved over to it and sat down before patting the spot beside him. Mike really should be sitting for this one.

“What’s goin on Jess?” Mike sat next to him and reached out to rest a hand on Jesse’s knee. “You’re starting to worry me a bit.”

“I just…” Jesse took a deep breath. He could do this, he had to do this. Mike deserved to know what kind of man he was marrying. “I need to tell you something. Something about my past that I should have told you a long time ago.”

“Jesse, we’re getting married in,” a glance at his watch, “forty-five minutes. Are you sure this can’t wait until we’re sitting on the beach in Jamaica?”

Oh, how he wished it could. He wanted nothing more than to tell Mike that it could wait, but it would be a lie. Mike needed the opportunity to decide if it was something he could handle, and it was only right to give him that chance before they tied the knot. He simply shook his head, again.

“Then just tell me, it can’t be that bad, can it? You know you can tell me anything.”

Jesse felt his resolve crack and steeled himself for the scene he knew was coming. How could Mike understand what it had been like? Was there anything he could say that would make his soon to be husband realize how hard it had been for him. That time in his life was one that he didn’t like to even think about, let alone talk about. None of that mattered though; this was something he had to do. He took Mike’s hands in his and stared into those beloved eyes.

“You already know that I left home the day after I turned eighteen, I never hid that from you.” He breathed deeply. “What I’ve never told you was how I put myself through school. I felt like I didn’t have any other choice, and while I’m not happy about what I did, there’s nothing I can do to change it.”

“I thought you had a college fund that you got when you enrolled in college.” Mike looked confused and Jesse couldn’t blame him.

He had said about a college fund, but he’d never said how he came by the money for that fund. He’d scrimped and saved every penny he could from the time he was sixteen, but when he left his parent's house, it simply hadn’t been enough.

“I did, to a point. Mike, you know I love you. I want to marry you more than anything; I just hope you still want to be with me after I tell you that…” Jesse looked away, he didn’t want to see the look of revulsion that he knew would be in Mike’s eyes when he heard the secret that Jesse had guarded for so long.

“Tell me what? God Jess, nothing could be bad enough that I wouldn’t want to be with you anymore. Just spit it out already and let’s get married.”

Jesse clung to those words, wanting nothing more than to believe it, but he knew better. He closed his eyes and steeled himself before looking straight at his fiancé and blurting out the truth. “I put myself through college by,” he paused, swallowed, then continued, “selling the only thing I had that was of any value.” He watched Mike’s brow crease then smooth out and sighed. He really didn’t want to use that word, but he was going to have to. “I sold my body. I was a prostitute.”

He waited for Mike to say something, say anything, but not a single word passed his lips. Instead, he just kept looking at him as though he hadn’t just dropped a massive bomb.

“Didn’t you hear what I said? What I did?” Jesse stood and paced back and forth in front of the couch. “How can you just sit there when I just told you that I sold myself to get through school? How can you even bear to look at me? Aren’t you going to say anything?” He would have kept pacing, but Mike suddenly stood and once more pulled him into his arms and ran his hands soothingly over Jesse’s back.

“Relax, Jess. I already knew.”

Jesse stiffened and jerked free, his gaze searching Mike’s. He started shaking when he read the truth in Mike’s eyes. He’d already known. He’d known what he had done and had still wanted to marry him. How? Why? He didn’t realize he’d whispered those words aloud until Mike answered him.

Mike’s gaze darkened for just a minute but then went back to the turquoise Jesse knew so well. “How I found out isn’t important, what is important is that I was just waiting for you to tell me.” He shook his head. “I was beginning to think you’d never tell me.”

“And that was okay with you? Me keeping something like that from you?” Jesse stared at him. “How could you be okay with that?”

“It hurt.” Mike closed the distance between them. “I won’t lie and say that it didn’t, but I knew you had to have your reasons. Besides, that was before I met you.”

Oh shit. He knew, but he didn’t know all of it. What would he say when he found out the full truth? He would freak, how could he not. Jesse averted his gaze, unable to look Mike in the eyes. This was going to be even harder than he thought.

“It was before I met you, right?” Mike waited for him to answer but he couldn’t. He couldn’t get the words out and he watched horrified as Mike took a step back, creating distance between them. “Jess?”

“I’m sorry.” Jesse’s voice came out as a choked sob. “I am so sorry.” All he could do was watch as Mike walked over to the window and looked out, his back to him.

“How long?”

Jesse couldn’t answer, he wasn’t even sure he wanted to, even though he knew he should. He stayed quiet and waited, willing Mike to look at him. When Mike finally turned to face him, he took it back. Mike was pissed and Jesse wanted to be anywhere but there at the moment.

“Damn it, Jess. How long after we got together did you finally quit?”

“Six months.” His voice broke and he cleared his throat before repeating himself. “Six months. I wanted to quit sooner, but it was harder to get out of than I thought it would be. It wasn’t even that I didn’t want to quit, I did; it just took time.”

“I asked you to move in with me at six months.” Mike’s eyes were shuttered and his entire six foot frame was ramrod stiff. Jesse wanted to walk over and soothe him, but being as it was his fault Mike was hurting, he couldn’t do that.

“I know. I wanted to tell you so many times, but the time just never seemed to be right.”

“Yeah, I can see that. There’s probably never a good time to tell your soon to be husband that you cheated on him for the first six months you were together. A half hour before our wedding is the perfect time.” His voice was coated in sarcasm and Jesse flinched at the anger directed towards him.

“I’m sorry. I know it was wrong of me and it’s no excuse, but we hadn’t even agreed that we were exclusive until you asked me to move in with you. It was just a job to me, a way to support myself.” Jesse cringed at the pathetic whine to his voice. He didn’t blame Mike for being angry, hell, he was angry with himself, but he didn’t want to lose Mike over it. He’d do whatever it took. He started to walk towards Mike and stopped when Mike held up a hand. “Just tell me what to do to fix this.”

“I don’t know.” Mike turned his back to him and took a deep breath and when he turned back towards him, Jesse felt like crying at the pain he could see in his eyes. “I need to think.”

Jesse could only watch as Mike walked to the door and, without looking back, walked out. He had expected it and even deserved it, but it still hurt like hell. The only consolation he had for the moment was that Mike hadn’t said to call the wedding off. He’d said he needed to think, but Jesse seriously doubted that fifteen minutes would be enough time. He had to do something and set off to find Thomas.

***

Nearly an hour after Mike had stormed off, Jesse was standing staring out the window in the conference room of the hotel where they had planned to get married. He hadn’t heard anything from Mike and was getting increasingly worried that Mike had decided not to go through with the wedding.

He could hear people talking behind him but didn’t try to make out the words. He honestly could care less what they were saying; all he wanted to know was what was going through Mike’s mind at the moment. At least Mike’s car was still there, so he hadn’t gone far. He turned to glance around and the people mingling and sighed when there was still no sign of Mike. He’s put it off long enough, he needed to tell everyone there wouldn’t be a wedding today. He turned back to the window and his breath caught in his throat at the sight of Mike staring back at him, his tux coat draped over his arm. Mike inclined his head towards the door and with a glance back at their friends and family gathered in the conference room, Jesse slipped away. His heart was heavy as he slipped out a side door and came face to face with Mike.

“I am sorry.” Jesse searched Mike’s eyes for any sign of what he was feeling.

“I know you are.” Mike sighed. “You didn’t send everyone home?”

“No, I couldn’t. Not until I knew where we stood.” He gave up trying to figure out what Mike was thinking and simply asked. “Where do we stand?”

“I knew when we got together that you were no virgin. I wasn’t sure I could accept that I wasn’t the only one in your bed the first six months we were together.” Jesse opened his mouth to reply, but Mike stepped forward and settled a hand over his mouth, effectively silencing him. “That was two and a half years ago, and while I’m not happy about it, I can forgive you for it.” He pulled his hand away from Jesse’s mouth.

“Are you sure?” Jesse didn’t dare to hope. He wanted to be with Mike with every fiber of his being and was afraid that maybe he was imagining what he was hearing.

“Yeah, I’m sure. I may not have been the only one in your bed, but I’m damn well going to be the last. Just promise me, no more secrets.”

Jesse stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Mike’s waist and nestled close, his head tucking up nicely under Mike’s chin. He felt Mike tense but breathed a sigh of relief when his soon to be husband relaxed and wrapped his own arms around him.

“No more secrets. And just so you know, you’re the only one I want in my bed.” Jesse closed his eyes, thankful that he had a man who didn’t hold his past against him, even despite his bad judgment.

“Then I guess it’s time we go get married.” Mike pulled away and when Jesse looked up at him, Mike dropped a fleeting kiss on his waiting lips before taking Jesse’s hand in his and leading him back into the conference room where their friends and family were waiting.

em>Well, there was my response to the prompt, what do you think? Leave me a review and let me know!
Copyright © 2012 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Good story Renée. Sometimes short stories like this leave us up in the air but you didn't do it.

There is a strong lesson here - one we all know deep inside of us. That is to be honest in our relationships. It's what will make them strong.

Link to comment

I enjoyed this story immensely based solely on the technical challenge this kind of story presents to the writer. In a sense, this is a "confession story", similar to "True Confessions", a magazine sold in the UK and mostly written by women for the confession market, except, of-course, this is a gay confesssion. Technically, it has all the attributes of a confession story. Let's look at them for a moment:

1. You begin with the main character, a typically normal gay man about to be married, in conversation with his confidant, the person who knows his secret.

2 You immediately establish a character weakness. A flaw (aren't we all flawed). Now, as the reader, I was wondering well, what is it? Is he a lazy person? Bad tempered? Bitter? Jealous? Over ambitious? Slovenly? Mean? A criminal?

I find out, very quickly that it is none of these. Instead, he is not to be trusted. (He is keeping something from his husband to be.)

3.You have placed your character in a dramatic crisis which has been brough about by his character flaw. He is about to marry the man he loves, but has not told him everything there is to know, and if they do marry without the truth being told, the marriage could dissolve into disaster.

4.You allow him to tell his confidant in dialogue the moment he reached this dramatic crisis.

5. In order to resolve the crisis, the truth must be told. You bring in the man he is to marry and they begin to discuss the crisis.

6.You allow a moment for suspense where the result of his confession is met with doubt.

7.The crisis is resolved when both men resolve that there will be no room for infidelity in their marriage

8. The marriage takes place.

Of-course, this is just a quick plan for what has taken place. The deeper meaning, and to quote Billy Joel: Honesty, is such alonely word, everyone is so untrue...

I think they will live happily ever after. So, from the technical aspect, the formula whther you knew that or did not, is almost flawless.

Nice work.

Link to comment

Very enjoyable, well-written story. Tension, drama perfectly delivered. Thanks for giving it a happy ending.

Link to comment

People do things they aren't proud of. Glad to see your characters come clean before permenately entering into a marriage. It would be horrible to marry someone and then find out that everything has been a lie. He was man enough to finally tell him, (major points taken for doing it right before the wedding) but at least he gave his partner the opportunity to change his mind if this was too much to accept. Nicely done.

Link to comment
On 04/07/2012 11:37 PM, Terry P said:
Good story Renée. Sometimes short stories like this leave us up in the air but you didn't do it.

There is a strong lesson here - one we all know deep inside of us. That is to be honest in our relationships. It's what will make them strong.

Thank you for your review, Terry! I am glad that you felt as though all the loose ends were tied up. I always struggle with that in my short stories, especially the ones I do from the prompts. I agree with you that honesty is the best way to go, especially with a serious relationship. I’m glad that you enjoyed this story and hope you enjoy any other stories you might read!
Link to comment
On 04/08/2012 06:19 AM, LJH said:
I enjoyed this story immensely based solely on the technical challenge this kind of story presents to the writer. In a sense, this is a "confession story", similar to "True Confessions", a magazine sold in the UK and mostly written by women for the confession market, except, of-course, this is a gay confesssion. Technically, it has all the attributes of a confession story. Let's look at them for a moment:

1. You begin with the main character, a typically normal gay man about to be married, in conversation with his confidant, the person who knows his secret.

2 You immediately establish a character weakness. A flaw (aren't we all flawed). Now, as the reader, I was wondering well, what is it? Is he a lazy person? Bad tempered? Bitter? Jealous? Over ambitious? Slovenly? Mean? A criminal?

I find out, very quickly that it is none of these. Instead, he is not to be trusted. (He is keeping something from his husband to be.)

3.You have placed your character in a dramatic crisis which has been brough about by his character flaw. He is about to marry the man he loves, but has not told him everything there is to know, and if they do marry without the truth being told, the marriage could dissolve into disaster.

4.You allow him to tell his confidant in dialogue the moment he reached this dramatic crisis.

5. In order to resolve the crisis, the truth must be told. You bring in the man he is to marry and they begin to discuss the crisis.

6.You allow a moment for suspense where the result of his confession is met with doubt.

7.The crisis is resolved when both men resolve that there will be no room for infidelity in their marriage

8. The marriage takes place.

Of-course, this is just a quick plan for what has taken place. The deeper meaning, and to quote Billy Joel: Honesty, is such alonely word, everyone is so untrue...

I think they will live happily ever after. So, from the technical aspect, the formula whther you knew that or did not, is almost flawless.

Nice work.

Thank you so much for your review Louis! I guess I never really thought of this story as a confession story, but you’re right, that is what it is. I never really think of a formula when I’m writing. Many times I just sit down and write what comes to me and hope that it turns out into a semblance of a story. Sometimes I rewrite and rewrite until the story has a good flow, but this short story hit me and I just went with it. Glad that you enjoyed it and thank you for pointing out something that I didn’t even realize I had done!
Link to comment
On 04/08/2012 07:03 AM, Percy said:
Very enjoyable, well-written story. Tension, drama perfectly delivered. Thanks for giving it a happy ending.
Thanks for the review Percy! The story was actually much more dramatic than I planned when I started writing it. These characters decided to take a twist that I wasn't expecting, but I think it did escalate the suspense and made the story better in the long run! Glad that you enjoyed it!
Link to comment
On 04/09/2012 07:08 PM, Seraph74 said:
Awwwwwwwwww :)

 

Does any more really need to be said? ;)

Thanks for the review Seraph! I think your response pretty much covers how you feel about the story! Glad that you enjoyed it!
Link to comment
On 04/12/2012 01:39 PM, comicfan said:
People do things they aren't proud of. Glad to see your characters come clean before permenately entering into a marriage. It would be horrible to marry someone and then find out that everything has been a lie. He was man enough to finally tell him, (major points taken for doing it right before the wedding) but at least he gave his partner the opportunity to change his mind if this was too much to accept. Nicely done.
Thanks for the review Wayne! I’m glad that you enjoyed the story, and you’re right, I think we’ve all done something that we’re not proud of. It would have been wrong of him to get married without confessing his sin, especially when it could have had such disasterous effects later in the marriage. At least by coming clean now, he was able to regain the majority of trust that he probably had lost by his actions. Thank you so much for coming up with the prompts as sometimes they get me thinking and allow me to write a tale such as this!
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Trust you to have this story be so dramatic and emotional and still be a happy ending. I don't know that I would have forgiven him. Not for the infidelity, but for waiting for that moment to finally come clean, a moment that should have been pure joy and became tainted by lies. Your main character was a coward, yet you made the reader care for him as we felt his emotions and his fear to lose his fiance. Great job.

Link to comment
On 04/13/2012 01:10 AM, Cia said:
Trust you to have this story be so dramatic and emotional and still be a happy ending. I don't know that I would have forgiven him. Not for the infidelity, but for waiting for that moment to finally come clean, a moment that should have been pure joy and became tainted by lies. Your main character was a coward, yet you made the reader care for him as we felt his emotions and his fear to lose his fiance. Great job.
I have to admit, I JUST about didn't have him forgiven, but then again, that would be sooooo out of character for me to write a story, no matter how short, that doesn't have a happy ending. As I was writing, I could picture everything the characters were doing, and whether it came alive as much in the actual story or not, I just had to get it out the way they told it! Thanks for the review hon!!
Link to comment

Hey Renee,

I'm a little late reading this, but better late then never is what I say!

Anyway, I loved this story! It was nerve-racking and sad and but it was also really very sweet at the ending. I'm glad that the truth came out and that these two could work past it. :)

Cheers!

Link to comment
On 07/09/2012 02:15 PM, california_miss said:
Hey Renee,

I'm a little late reading this, but better late then never is what I say!

Anyway, I loved this story! It was nerve-racking and sad and but it was also really very sweet at the ending. I'm glad that the truth came out and that these two could work past it. :)

Cheers!

Hey, that works, especially as I am a little late in replying to your review, lol. I'm glad that you enjoyed this little short. I wasn't even sure how the story was going to go at first, but all I had to do was listen to my characters and it all worked out! Thanks for reading!!
Link to comment

Haunting your stories today. What a great emotional story. Imagine hiding a secret for so long from your lover, soon to be husband. Jesse had to be a nervous wreck inside. Loved this girl!

Link to comment
On 06/01/2013 08:25 AM, joann414 said:
Haunting your stories today. What a great emotional story. Imagine hiding a secret for so long from your lover, soon to be husband. Jesse had to be a nervous wreck inside. Loved this girl!
How did I miss this review?! I'm glad you enjoyed the story Jo Ann. It was interesting to write as I had a hard time imagining it. Thanks for the review Jo Ann!
Link to comment
On 4/7/2012 at 9:37 AM, Terry P said:

Good story Renée. Sometimes short stories like this leave us up in the air but you didn't do it.

There is a strong lesson here - one we all know deep inside of us. That is to be honest in our relationships. It's what will make them strong.

I would have never married him.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..