Jump to content
    RichardWrites
  • Author
  • 2,533 Words
  • 149,590 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aedan's Story - 10. Chapter 10: Summertime Sadness

Content Warning: Contains references to domestic abuse and depression
Other notes: Aedan certainly is not happy at home, but things are changing for him and it's a lot for him to deal with. So please excuse some of his more irrational behavior.

July 27 2017, Avalon, Connecticut

I was curled up in my bed drawing in my sketch book, trying to forget the world. I had the room to myself for a while since River was down in Mystic with some friends visiting the beach. It had been over a week now since dad last hurt me, since we started “family therapy”. Pretty sure Violet wasn’t too thrilled about it either. Dad is super hard on her for being a lesbian. Also, my parents had decided they are going to file for divorce as a result of all the family tension over the past few years that’s gotten worse since we moved into our townhouse this past December. I really want to just run away and never come back. But at least he’s not beating me anymore, so I guess that’s something.

As I was lost in a drawing, I heard a knock on the door following footsteps in the hall that were unmistakably Jake’s. “Come in,” I said without looking up from my drawing. I heard Jake walk in.

“Hey, Aedan,” I looked up from my drawing to see him. He was in his black karate uniform with a orange belt and barefoot. His blond hair had grown out and become messy. “You weren’t at Karate today,” he said as he climbed up the ladder to my loft and sat on the edge of my mattress a couple feet away from where my feet were under the blanket.

“Yeah, I wasn’t...” I said absently before setting down my sketchbook. “I just wasn’t feeling it.”

“Are you sick again? Are you ok?” Jake asked me.

“It’s just been a hard day after family therapy this morning. I don’t want to talk about it,” I said, resting my hands on my bare torso.

“Why can’t you talk about it? Aedan I’m your best friend. You can trust me.” He patted my knee, which was under the grey and red plaid blanket on my full-size bed.

“I just don’t want to talk about it right now, Jake,” I sighed.

“Fine,” Jake huffed. “Figure it out on your own, Aedan! I’ve tried to help, but you don’t let me anymore.” He got up and began to descend the ladder. “Let me know when you have figured it out.”

“What the heck, Jake?! No need to get mad,” I scoffed.

“Bye, Aedan.”

“Fuck off, Jake...” I slumped back into bed as he stormed out of my room and closed the door. Even Jake turned against me, I thought. Why do I have to be so damn problematic?!

I got out of bed in just my boxers and put on a tank top and some athletic shorts. I was hungry from not eating since breakfast which was before the therapy meeting in the morning and it was now 4 PM and I wanted a snack before dinner. I threw some dirty clothes into the washing machine in the basement before going to the kitchen to make some nachos. As the cheese was melting in the microwave the house phone rang. I answered it and sat on the countertop. “Hello?”

“Hey, Aedan,” I recognized mom’s voice.

“Hey, mama, what’s up?” I asked, swinging my legs a little as they hung over the edge of the wooden countertop.

“I just wanted to call to let you know I won’t be home for dinner. I had to pick up an extra shift so I’ll be here at the hospital until midnight,” she said. Mom was a nurse at the local hospital, and she often had long weird hours. Me and my siblings were often home alone for long periods of time especially with a dad working long hours as a car mechanic and a full-time alcohol and gambling addict. I let out a sigh. “You and Violet will have to figure out dinner on your own.”

“Again?” I groaned. We had thankfully leftovers for the last few days, but those were all gone and now we were stuck having to go out to a dingy fast food joint.

“Aedan,” she sighed. “I’m sorry that I have to have a job! Especially with what your father does... Look, there might be leftovers...”

“There’s none. The fridge is empty.” I interrupted in an irritated tone.

“You know where the money is. In the blue piggy bank to go get dinner. I have to go. I’ll see you probably in the morning, baby.”

I groaned as the beeping hang up sound went off. I pulled the cheese out of the microwave and ate some tortilla chips as a snack. Afterwards, I played some Minecraft on my phone for a bit until I heard Violet walk downstairs. “Where’s mom? Is she home yet?” the 16 year old girl asked.

“Naw, she picked up an extra shift and is workin’ ‘till midnight.” I said, not looking up from the screen and picked some of the food out of my teeth.

“Ugh, great,” my sister groaned.


Within the hour, Violet and I were walking down the street to the McDonalds. The blue piggy bank had only 6 bucks in it. Likely thanks to Dad taking some of it for booze or poker gambling with his work buddies. This part of town isn’t really all that safe at night. We walked past some pawn shops and other stores, all of which, had metal bars over the windows and we walked quickly past the dark alleyways at each intersection. Violet would have driven if there was a car available, but we only have one car in the family, which mom and dad take turns using.

At McDonalds I got a bacon cheeseburger and Violet got some chicken nuggets and we shared some fries. The whole thing cost like 5 bucks which is insane. Afterwards I was super full, but Violet wanted to hang out with her goth friends in the park while they smoked nasty cigarettes and goofed off. While they did that, I sulked off to the swing set and sat there. It was a hot, clear summer night with a few clouds. Avalon was a small enough town to where light pollution wasn’t much of a problem and you can see stars at night. I made out a few constellations before moving over to lay down on the soft grass. I was getting too big for the swings anyways. The boredom had driven me crazy. I didn’t bring my phone with me because I had already used up my limited tiny amount of data for the month.


After a while, the heavy food in my belly began making me sleepy. As I was about to doze off, I heard a familiar voice. “Hey, cutie,”

“Gah! Who’s there?!” I yelped as I sat up, looking around.

“Relax, it’s just me,” Nina, my semi-girlfriend (it’s complicated) sat next to me as I leaned back down. “Why are you out here alone?” She asked.

“I could ask you the same thing…” I said, rolling over onto my belly.

“Got me there,” the Hispanic girl leaned back. “I enjoyed our date,” she began playing with my shaggy dark hair.

“Oh, uh, me too. Yeah,” I blushed again. My memories of that night were tainted by my dad’s abusive behavior.

“What’s wrong, Aedan?” She traced her fingers along my back.

“I don’t know how to say this. I hate bein’ at home so dang much. My folks are never ‘round and when they are it’s usually drunken beatings from my dad and mom not giving too much of a care… and both of them fightin’…” I vented, a few tears dripping from my eyes. Nina wiped them off with her finger. “It’s why I’m at Jake’s so much and why I went on that trip with him.”

“I’m sorry, Aedan. I had no idea,” Nina frowned. “You want to come by my place?”

“I dunno,” I sighed. “Whatever is secluded and not my house.”

“I know the perfect spot,” Nina smiled and stood up.

She helped me up too. “Where to?”

“It’s a secret,” she smirked. “Maybe go tell your sister?”

“Naw she’s too wasted with her goth friends to give a real shit about me.”

I followed Nina past the park’s football field and on a trail into the woods. It started feeling muggy when surrounded by dense trees. We soon reached the stream. It looked really nice in the moonlight.

“Wow,” I muttered. “Why’re we here?” I asked.

“We’re going swimming, country boy!”

“What?!” I giggled as she pulled off her pink t-shirt and got into the water wearing just a bikini top and daisy dukes. I dodged the water that splashed up and almost hit me when she landed. “Are you insane?!”

“Get in, Aedan, the water’s nice!”

“Fine,” I rolled my eyes and pulled off my tank top and jumped into the water in my basketball shorts. “Shit, it’s cold,” I shivered a bit.

“You get used to it,” Nina giggled. I shivered, crossing my arms over my nipples.

Nina waded over and splashed me. “Ack!” I yelped, jumping a bit. “It’s too cold for that,” I whined.

“You look really nice without a shirt on, though,” Nina smirked and playfully poked my chest, making me blush a little.

“Not as cute as you in a bikini,” I splashed her.

“You little pervert!” she giggled and started to swim away, but I caught her, both of us laughing.

“I really like hangin’ out with you,” I said, looking into her chocolate brown eyes.

“Your accent is so cute,” she reached up with her hand and brushed my shaggy black bangs out of my face before our lips met for a kiss. My lips didn’t want to let go, but I needed air after a couple minutes of making out. “Aedan, I don’t want this night to end.”

“Me neither, babe. Anything is better than being at home right now.”

“Let’s get out of this water before you get hypothermia, country boy,” she playfully splashed me. “You can come to my place.”

“K,” I agreed before dunking my head underwater for a second to cool off my face. We grabbed our shirts and I followed her to her house nearby. Her home was in a middle class suburban part of town. We rinsed off with the hose and dried off with towels from the garage. I pulled my shirt on before entering the home, to be somewhat modest for Nina’s family.

“Where have you been?” A man, presumably her dad, asked. “And who’s this?” I blushed.

“I was out at the park. And this is my boyfriend, Aedan.” She kissed my cheek.

“Hiya, sir,” I held out my hand awkwardly. He shook it.

“You didn’t think to introduce yourself when taking my daughter to the movies last month?”

“Uh, I’m really sorry, sir. I was in a rush because I had…”

“It’s alright, kid,” he patted my back. “Nina hasn’t stopped talking about you since you moved here and joined her art class in school.” I blushed.

“Dad!” Nina blushed. “But yes. Aedan is a sweet boy, and very talented.”

“I’m sorry for the rough greeting,” he shook my hand. “Call me Robert.”

“Thank you, sir,” I politely nodded.

“Can Aedan spend the night?” Nina asked.

“Nina...”

“But, dad…”

“It’s alright. I prolly should get home soon. Dad might be in a foul drunken mood as usual.” I kissed Nina. “Pleasure to meet you, sir. I’ll see you tomorrow at the school for the art club mural.”

“Wait. You can stay in the guest room,” he said. “You shouldn’t have to go back to a home you don’t feel safe in,” the middle-aged Hispanic man said.

I smiled. “T-thank you... so much, sir.”


After a nice shower, I heard a knock at the guest bathroom door. “It’s me, Nina,” I heard her voice.

“One sec!” I quickly wrapped my towel around my waist and opened the door. “Hey, babe,” I smiled.

“I convinced my brother to let you borrow some pajamas.”

“You better bring them back!” I heard a teenage boy’s voice came from another room in the house. Nina’s older brother Juan was fifteen and going into his sophomore year in high school.

“Thanks Juan!” I thanked him.

“No problem little dude! Don’t piss in them,” he said. I laughed.


The next afternoon, I decided it was time to return home, since mom would likely be worried about me being gone the previous night. I was nervous about how my dad would react and beat the shit out of me as he usually did when I ran away. The middle school wasn’t too far from my neighborhood I kissed Nina goodbye, removed my paint apron, and got my stuff to leave. Thankfully, paint didn’t get on my clothes. A little bit got on my arm just above the elbow, and a little bit on my bare feet. I put my flip flops on and began to walk home. I stepped up to the porch of the grey brick town home, when I heard my dad’s gruff southern accent say “where the hell is that damn bastard? He needs to be taught a lesson in respect!”

“Hank, honey, calm down.”

“Don’t you dare tell me to calm down!” I knew what happens next. I took off again, and ran down the street to the park. It’s a place I usually go to relax when home is too much for me.

The summer air was hot, and I was sweaty from running, so I took off my tank top. I went for my usual shaded spot under hemlock trees at the Avalon East Park’s entrance, with my shirt draped over my shoulders but I found Violet in my spot. “Gah!” I jumped back.

“Shit, Aedan, you scared me,” Violet said. Her dark hair was in a ponytail and she was wearing a crop top and skinny jeans. I have no clue how she wears jeans when it’s this freakin' hot out.

“You’re in my spot,” I said.

“Sorry. I came here because I know you like to come here.” She moved over so that I could sit. “It’s a nice getaway.”

I blushed a little. “How did you know I come here?”

“When you turn left from leaving this house, this park is the only thing in that direction, dork. You either come here or the cornfield a couple blocks down.”

“Oh, uh, ok,” I rubbed my arm a little nervously before leaning back with my shoulders against the tree trunk. Sweat dripped off my face and down my bare chest in this gross heat. My neck and upper arms already had a mild sunburn from being outdoors most of the day. “About mom and dad...” I began.

“The divorce can’t come fast enough,” Violet sighed.

“I... agree...” I muttered. Her eyes widened. “I’ve been his punching bag for too long.” I felt a few tears well up in my eyes as I looked down to the now yellow bruise marks on my ribs and abs.

“Shit... Aedan...” she hugged me. “I didn’t realize it was that bad. You and River are way too young for this.” I nodded silently.

Copyright © 2023 RichardWrites; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 2
  • Sad 13
  • Angry 2
Thanks for reading! Reviews are always welcome! :)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Aedan runs away to avoid his abusive dad who will not change his behavior. Therapy is not working

Jake and Aedan clash. Only, Violet is a safe person to be with. I hope she is not too interested in Aedan. He is vulnerable potential to a girl who wants more than kisses. Violet really like Aedan.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm pleased that Mom did know what she was doing.  Awful situation, but progress seems good.   

 

Good for Nina's Dad adjusting to the moment, as well. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..