Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aedan's Story - 2. Chapter 2: Message in a Bottle

June 29 2017

I woke up the next morning to sunlight streaming into the room. I checked the clock. It was 9AM. Jake had already left the room. My stomach growled at the smell of pancakes coming from the kitchen. I rolled out of bed and went to the bathroom to wash my face before putting on a fresh t-shirt to be modest for breakfast.

I walked out to the kitchen and Jake was there making pancakes and bacon, still in his pajamas.

"Hey," I yawned.

"Morning," Jake said. "My parents went for a walk so I'm here making pancakes."

"Smells good," I rubbed my eyes. I sat at the bar along the kitchen island.

"Thanks," Jake laughed. "So, you wanna go hang out at the beach today?" Jake asked, flipping a couple pancakes.

"Mhm," I nodded, sipping some orange juice in a glass poured for me.

"Cool. We'll go around noon," Jake said, putting a few slightly burnt pancakes on a plate for me.


A few hours later, I was on the beach wearing white and blue swim trunks. Jake and I were playing with a frisbee. Jake wore bright yellow swim trunks. The beach was quiet, as this was a small town, hidden along Cape Cod. It was a cool, breezy day, so running after a flying frisbee wasn't making me too sweaty. One of Jake's frisbee throws was interrupted by the wind, and it landed on top of a 10-foot rock.

"Wanna help me get it down?" I asked.

"Nah. You missed the catch, so you gotta get it, dude," Jake stifled a laugh. I rolled my eyes.

I scaled the rock barefoot, but the rock wasn't too high, so it was relatively simple to reach a point where I could reach the frisbee. I grabbed it and threw it to Jake. I was about to turn around when, in a small crevasse in the rock, I saw a small glass bottle. It was green and wedged in the rock pretty tight. It was in the crack horizontally

"I found something up here," I called down to Jake, using all my upper body strength to try to remove the bottle.

"What is it?" Jake asked, interested.

"It's some kind of..." I grunted as I pulled. "Bottle!" I freed the bottle, but I slipped and began to lose balance. "Augh!"

"AEDAN!" Jake rushed over to help me as I fell onto the sand. "Are you ok?" Jake gently helped me sit up.

"I'm fine," I nodded. "Thanks, Jake."

"The bottle landed in the sand," Jake walked near the water's edge where the bottle landed. It had a few small cracks but it wasn't broken. "Woah, this is pretty cool," Jake picked up the bottle and walked back over to me. I sat down on the warm sand and pulled off the cork sealing the bottle. Out came a scrap of paper. It seemed very old. "What does it say?" Jake asked, sitting next to me.

I, Mr. Lance Goodman, being of sound mind, have passed away today on April 8 1919. I have no remaining family left, and so I donated most of my fortune to charity. The remainder I have hidden in a treasure chest somewhere in this little backwater town. I have hidden 10 thousand dollars and it is yours to keep if you find the chest.

Here is your first clue: The pier in town won't make you frown. At the top you must look down.

"Ten thousand dollars! Wow," I sighed. My family didn't come from money, so that large amount of money was almost unheard of to me.

"The top of the pier?" Jake asked. "The pier is south of here. It's not far. Just off of main street.

"Let's go," I said enthusiastically and smiled. Jake and I pulled on our t-shirts and sandals, and grabbed our stuff to begin our adventure.

Copyright © 2023 RichardWrites; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 6
  • Wow 2
Thanks for reading! Reviews are always welcome! :)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wonder what the old money would be worth in a coin shop, if gold coins are found, we're talking big bucks!!

  • Wow 3
Link to comment

Silver, gold, or paper. One hopes it is gold so it is worth much more. Not sure if it is an error by the author or done on purpose, but how can a dead man hide a treasure. The note has his date of death included, so how can the date be known unless he is dead and if he is dead how can he have written the note. Another option is that it is a marketing ploy for a "treasure" hunt meant to bring people into town or some such. We shall see. 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 9/8/2023 at 12:28 PM, BearScribe said:

Silver, gold, or paper. One hopes it is gold so it is worth much more. Not sure if it is an error by the author or done on purpose, but how can a dead man hide a treasure. The note has his date of death included, so how can the date be known unless he is dead and if he is dead how can he have written the note. Another option is that it is a marketing ploy for a "treasure" hunt meant to bring people into town or some such. We shall see. 😉

In the old days elder care fell almost exclusively to family. Being wealthy, Mr. Goodman could have had a trust or even more simply trusted friends, employees, etc. However, people have often witnessed the affects greed and the abuses of the best made plans. As that time approaches, unable to defend themselves from such abuse or neglect, the end result is a destitute, formerly wealthy, person; left uncared for, essentially starving and/or lying in squalor.

So, … for one to choose a date to settle their affairs, and to resign from a very suspect but undeniable fade from life. It is not without understanding or even some merit of simpler days when the “system” didn’t try to prolong end of life against one’s will. As Sinatra sang, I Did It My Way. 😢 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..