Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aedan's Story - 3. Chapter 3: Clues At The Boardwalk

It was about a couple hundred yards north to the pier. There were a few people fishing off the end of the pier. On the boardwalk there were a few rigged carnie games and a few food restaurants in the square.

"Wanna eat first?" Jake asked.

"Sure," I nodded, my stomach growled. "What do you want?"

"The deli is pretty good."

I opened my string bag to get out money to pay for my lunch until I realized that I left my wallet with 20 bucks at the beach house.

"Oh crap, I don't have money."

"Don't worry dude," Jake patted my shoulder from behind. "I got you."

"I'll pay you back later," I said as Jake opened the door.

"Bro, don't worry about it. I have plenty of cash."

"Thanks, Jake," I smiled and blushed. We walked up to the counter and ordered a wrap and a soda for each of us. I got turkey and he got tuna.


We relaxed and ate for a bit at a table outside. We finished all our wrap, chips, and soda. "Did you like it?" he asked, in reference to the wrap.

"Yeah," I stretched, my stomach feeling very full. "That was really good."

"Ready to find the next clue?" Jake stood up and grabbed his stuff. We explored the boardwalk/pier area, which had shops and gardens and such. It was a pretty cool place to hang out for the day.

We began walking down the pier. Soon, we were out over the choppy water of the Atlantic Ocean. "Where is the highest point?" I asked.

"That would be the lighthouse tower," Jake pointed to a tower structure.

We walked along. The tower was about halfway down the pier. We climbed up the wooden steps inside the tall brick structure. The top was about thirty feet up. We reached the top deck of the lighthouse, the square path that encircled the large lightbulb at the top.

"The note said we must look down. What the heck does that mean?" I asked.

"It means we have to look down, you doof," Jake playfully punched my shoulder.

"I meant what does he want us to look down at?" I shoved Jake's hand away. I looked down at the turquoise green water below. I saw something sparkle on one of the posts of the pier. I used a telescope mounted to the railing to get a better look. There was indeed another glass bottle tied to the post.

"How does someone miss that?" I asked.

"It was pretty well hidden. Nobody would think to look under the pier for anything but barnacles and saltwater taffy." Jake said as we began to descend the tower and back to the boardwalk. "Do you remember which pillar had the bottle?"

"It was the fifth wooden pillar from where the water begins," I replied.

When we got to the beach, Jake took off his shirt and waded out into the water. He had to swim a little bit to reach the spot. "I see the bottle, but it's about 4 feet down!" Jake called out.

I gave him a thumbs up sign before he submerged under the waves. About ten seconds later he came back to the surface. A green bottle in his hand. He returned to shore, soaking wet. I handed him his blue towel from his bag before I opened the bottle to get the note. Jake sat down on the sand

"Here's what the note says," I began. "This next clue may strike you with fear. The place with bones can be found near. Go there at night, when the full moon is clear. Look for the chest that I found dear."

"That's cryptic," Jake sighed. "Place with bones could mean two things. The whale skeletons or the old graveyard."

"The treasure depends on the full moon," I reasoned. "I'm guessing it means the whale bones, since the tides are on the beach."

"That makes sense," Jake nodded. I placed the note in his backpack where the other one was.

"Cool," I stood up. "Wanna head back to the house?"

"Yeah, dude," Jake nodded.


About fifteen minutes later we arrived at the house. I changed into some basketball shorts while Jake took a shower to clean off the sand and salt. While he did that, I sat at the small desk in the bedroom and pulled out my sketch book. I improved on my drawings from the previous day. Jake came out, dressed in khaki shorts and a blue t-shirt.

"Hey," he said, peering over my sunburned shoulders at my drawing. Jake sat on his bed, which was next to the desk. Jake pulled out his laptop while I continued drawing. "Woah! Come check this out dude," Jake said a few minutes later. I put down my pencil and climbed onto the bed next to him.

"What is it?" I asked.

"The next full moon is Sunday night! That's in four days"

"Oh, sweet. We can go get that treasure!"

"Yep. It'll be awesome."

Copyright © 2023 RichardWrites; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 8
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Thanks for reading! Reviews are always welcome! :)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The boys are succeeding in finding clues and answers on the Goodman treasure chest hunt. They know where to take the next and close to final step. I wish them good luck. The large money prize, if they find it, might be a great surprise and not what they first imagine. Perhaps the treasure chest might have been found earlier and emptied? So much is tentative. They boys have a good attitude. I am glad the boys are not building their hopes up very high at this point.

Finding lots of money could be a mixed blessing. If Aedan's dad is abusing him, then he might not take well to his son having lots of money when his family was not well off.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The boys are interesting characters. I am excited for their adventure! You have done a good job with your descriptive writing.  You seem to easily put the reader into the scene without "miles and miles" of description. I like that because the story doesn't get bogged down. I'm looking forward to the next clue! Thanks.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Nice adventure - 13 year olds ordering turkey and tuna wraps?  That's a pretty weird preference for their age.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 8/7/2023 at 7:11 AM, GanymedeRex said:

Nice adventure - 13 year olds ordering turkey and tuna wraps?  That's a pretty weird preference for their age.

Haha yeah maybe that was unrealistic for their age. Especially for males. XD

They’d probably be more interested in eating burgers or subs. 

Edited by RichardWrites
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..