Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aedan's Story - 8. Chapter 8: Independence Day

Wow, this chapter is very appropriate for the holiday this week in the United States! XD

July 3 2017

I woke up late in the morning feeling groggy. My nose was stuffy and I felt a little shaky. My stomach growled, however. This cold clearly wasn't ruining my appetite. I got dressed while Jake continued sleeping.

I was eating some oatmeal for breakfast when I heard a knock at the front door. "I'll get it," I announced. Jake's parents seemed to be busy with other stuff.

"Aedan?" Katie asked as I opened the door. I fought off the urge to whistle. She was looking fine in a tank top and mini skirt.

"Oh, hey," I smiled, sniffling a bit. "What's up?"

"Oh, uh, we're leaving town today. Going to be up in Boston for July 4th."

"Cool. Have fun," I smiled. She leaned in to kiss me. "You probably shouldn't. I have a cold," I sighed, my voice a bit raspy.

"Oh, I hope you feel better," she blew me a kiss. My cheeks blushed as I waved and gently closed the door. My stomach filled with butterflies.

"Someone's happy," Jake teased. "Was that Katie at the door?" He was in his pajamas still. He popped his retainer out of his mouth. I nodded. He noticed the tent in my sweatpants. "Hmm nice, bro…"

"Shut up!" I blushed, hiding the area with my hands.


Later in the afternoon, I was resting in my bed, drawing in my sketch book. A wastebasket sat next to my bed for my used tissues to go into. I was feeling worse now than in the morning.

Jake entered the room. "Hey, man. Dad and I are going to pick up some fireworks for tomorrow. Wanna come?" He grabbed his hoodie and pulled it on over his head.

"Nah," I croaked. "I'm feeling worse than this morning," I blew my pink nose into a tissue.

"Oh, uh, okay. I hope you feel better," he smiled.

"Thanks," I smiled back before coughing a little as Jake left the room.

Jake and I didn't talk much through the evening either. I went to bed early, and I was still kind of upset with him.


July 4 2017

After some much needed rest, I began to feel better on the Independence Day holiday. I slept for ten hours before waking up at the crack of dawn at 6AM. My nose was still a bit stuffy, but getting out of my pajamas and into a warm shower helped. I got dressed in a blue tank top and red and white swim shorts for the day.

"Hey, Aedan," Jake smiled as he sat up and scratched his chest.

"Mornin', Jake," my raspy voice managed to squeak. "I'm still a bit sick."

"I can tell." He paused. "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry Jake," I shrugged as he pulled on a shirt. "It's just a little cold. And my mom's a nurse, so she can check on me when I get back tomorrow. Seriously. I'll be fine."

"I meant about the other night," Jake walked into the bathroom and pulled out his retainer. "I feel really bad for deceiving you. I'm an awful best friend."

"Dude," I sniffled. "It's alright. The whole scavenger hunt seemed realistic. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any fun with you." I sat down on my bed. We spent the morning eating breakfast and playing video games.

The beach was relatively crowded during the day. Jake and I hung out at the beach during the midday hours playing football on the beach and eating watermelon. We had hot dogs for lunch before Jake and I went back to the beach and played In the water. I, as usual, stayed close to shore since I can't swim yet.


We came inside around 4pm to shower off the sand and rest a while before eating dinner at 7. I had put on some nicer clothes: a button up shirt and cargo shorts.

We had some steak and potatoes for dinner, which we ate at the table on the back porch overlooking the beach. After dinner, Jake and I did the dishes, putting the plates, cups, and silverware in the dishwasher. By the time everything was done, it was 8PM and the sun was about to set.

"You ready to go watch the fireworks?" Jake asked. I nodded. "You might want to bring a sweatshirt. It can get chilly out on the water at night."

"Um, I didn't bring one," I blushed. Jake led me back to our room and grabbed a couple sweatshirts, giving one to me. Jake and I were roughly the same size. We climbed into the back of Jake's dad's truck and rode down to the marina where we got on the yacht. There were a lot of people gathering in the local park for fireworks, but Jake's family insisted on viewing them from the boat. The water was calmer than it had been the other day, so I wasn't as queasy. The fireworks began and they looked pretty awesome in the clear summer night sky. I put on Jake's middle school wrestling hoodie on to stay warm in the cool breeze.

"Jake, I don't want this week to end." I said, laying on my back on the boat's deck.

"It's been pretty fun hanging out," Jake agreed. "But we have to go back home tomorrow."

"I know, but, like," I stuttered, and a couple tears formed in my eyes. "Is it kinda crazy that I don't want to go home?"

"Is it related to your bruised ribs?" Jake asked. I unhid my face and looked at him with wide green eyes.

"H-how did you know?"

"Dude, you thought I bought that story about your brother? River isn't able to do that. So, you better tell me what really happened. Aedan, you can trust me. Whatever it is, I won't tell anyone. Promise." He pinky-swore to me.

"Ok," my voice became shaky. "It was my dad," I said, as a couple tears rolled down my now pink flushed cheeks. "I had a date with a girl that evening. With Nina. I had a curfew of 10 pm, and I came back 30 minutes late because of traffic. My dad proceeded to beat me for it. Nobody else saw, of course, no one ever does." I paused to take a deep breath. "I really don't want to go back home. This... shit... has been going on since I was ten. Mom and dad have been fighting a lot too."

"Aedan, I'm glad you told me. But, like, you should get help. Tell your mom or something. It will be ok. You can always come by my place, too." Jake hugged me.

"Thanks," I smiled. He was really the best friend I ever had.


After the fireworks, we returned home, and Jake and I went to get ready for bed. Despite my exhaustion, I had a hard time falling asleep. "Aedan?" I heard Jake whisper an hour later. I checked the clock. It was a few minutes before midnight. "You still up?"

"Yeah?" I groggily responded, coughing. "Can't sleep?"

"Nuh uh..." Jake responded. "Guessing you can't either?" I shook my head and sat up, immediately shivering with that chill you get when feeling feverish. The fact that I was shirtless with just red plaid pajama pants wasn't helping.

"I think I have a fever," I hugged my knees up to my warm chest and sniffled my nose. I got up and walked over to grab a t-shirt to put on so I wouldn't shiver. I also took a Tylenol, as my mom had packed me some if I ever needed any. I thought I wouldn't need any medicine, but I guess I was wrong. "Other than this stupid cold, this trip was awesome, thanks to you."

"Don't get all mushy," Jake playfully threw a pillow at my head. I smirked and grabbed the pillow and got out of bed to smack him with it. This immediately turned into a pillow fight, like most of our sleepovers back home. Jake's dad entered.

"Boys, please keep it down. Jake, your mother and I are trying to sleep."

"Sorry, dad, we'll stay quiet," Jake responded. Both him and I blushed with embarrassment as I climbed back into my bed. "Want to play some video games?" Jake offered. I shook my head.

"Naw, we'll get too loud again," I laughed.

"You're not wrong," Jake smirked, getting back into his bed. We ended up talking about video games, food, sports, and girls (we're teen boys that's literally all we talk about) until we both fell asleep.

Copyright © 2023 RichardWrites; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 7
  • Angry 2
Thanks for reading! Reviews are always welcome! :)
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I can’t imagine not wanting to go home out of fear. Is it even possible that his mother doesn’t know? 

  • Sad 5
Link to comment

I hope Jake can really help Aedan out with this Abuse problem,If Aedan’s mom backs his father than He needs to seek refuge at Jake’s .

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Something good came out of this, Jake knows about the abusive father...Aedan needs  to talk with his mother ASAP...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..