Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 1,119 Words
  • 910 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sharing - 9. Chapter 8 - Sean's Disappointment

Beginning of Chapter 8 - Sean's Disappointment

Tim: Sean had changed his academic work to focus on the hospitality industry. His love of cooking and part time jobs in catering had brought him to the conclusion that he could do a better job than any of the companies he had worked for. As beneficiaries of his cooking skills, we were sure he was right. The university he and I attended had a limited curriculum in this area. Sean applied to several schools in the area that offered more extensive classes. One by one, Sean received rejection notices. He became depressed and worse yet, he began to order in rather than cook. We were growing desperate to cheer him up.

“What can we do for Sean?”

“He really wants this, to learn enough to start his own business. Why are the schools turning him down?”

“I don’t know. He’s a fabulous cook and the hardest worker on any catering job and he’s excelled in all his other undergrad classes. What are they looking for?

“Do you think he’d do better applying to schools in other cities?”

“He can’t leave us.”

“But if it’s best for Sean, we’d have to help him get in a school that can help him achieve his dreams.”

“Yeah, but I need him.” Tim was the most emotionally distraught.

It occurred to me that our emotional ties had grown stronger and stronger. We shared our household, our joys, our struggles, our bodies, and all of ourselves. Even when one of us was gone for a short while, the lack was felt by the group. But our individual lives had to be honored, too.

“I never really considered that he or any of us would leave permanently.”

“But if it’s best for Sean…”

“Yeah, if it’s best for him.” I (Tim) was clearly feeling low.

John: I took some time to research other culinary schools that Sean might attend. When he came in late that night from working a catering job, he looked despondent. I mentioned the schools I found to him.

“Yeah, I know about those schools, some are pretty good. But I’d have to move there, away from you guys. I don’t know if I can do that.”

“What about your dreams? We love you Sean and we don’t want you to move away, but it that’s how you can get what you want, what you need, then maybe that’s what you have to do.”

He agreed to apply to the schools. We all waited anxiously for return letters, both hoping and dreading the responses. He got two positive replies. It took all of our encouragement to get Sean to agree to visit the schools, one about two hours away, the other five hours away. Mark had the most flexible schedule and agreed to go with him to visit the schools. Brad was able to borrow a car from his cousins for the visits. Sean was able to schedule them on consecutive days, saving time and travel.

Brad arrived the next morning with the borrowed car, a late model car designed to impress passers-by. On getting into the driver’s seat, Mark remarked, “I feel like a pimp.” Still they waved goodbye; our more intimate farewells had been completed in the apartment, and drove out of sight.

They returned two days later. Mark looked upset. Sean was a strange mix of excited and sad. As I led them to the sitting area by the fireplace, I asked Brad, “How about some drinks.” Tim came in and sat next to Sean, taking his hands in his own. Brad produced a round of drinks and sat next to Mark who collapsed against Brad’s muscular shoulder.

“How did it go?”

Mark sighed sadly.

Sean looked at each one of us, pausing to kiss Tim’s hands. “I hated the one in Providence. Neat town, strange school. Kind of impractical. I think I learned more about food service before I was eight just hanging around my family’s place. Number two, however, it scares me.”

“Scares you?”

“Yeah, it was too perfect. The placement people and faculty I met were really great. They valued my on-the-job experience and even pumped me for cooking techniques. They were open to all kinds of approaches to food.”

“It’s so far away.” Mark’s emotions showed.

Sean suddenly looked smug. “My biggest problem is paying for it. The don’t offer any scholarships. You either pay full boat, or you don’t go. And I don’t have the dough.”

Mark again sighed. “That’s so awful.”

“What you don’t know, cause you wouldn’t let me talk with all your 'trying to talk me into it' all the way home. Do you guys have any idea what it’s like to have this gorgeous man talk at you for five hours? He’s prettier when he shuts up.”

“Hey,” a somewhat indignant Mark.

“What don’t we know? You know you never stay on the subject, Sean.” Tim digressed.

“What you don’t know is that one of the chef’s on the faculty has a restaurant right here, probably five blocks away. He needs an assistant manager and on the basis of our interview has asked me to work for him.”

“Hooray?” We weren’t sure whether this was the good part or not.

“He’s also offered to get the school to allow me to study off-site, providing the chef supervises me. He’s readily agreed. The school will accept most of my college credits, since a business major is totally relevant to running a restaurant.”

“So that means you went away to look at schools and came back with a job and a program you can do from here?” Tim was first at putting it together. Mark still looked confused.

“You’ll get it shortly, dear,” Brad soothed Mark.

I hauled Sean up into a hug. “Congratulations. I’m guessing you talked him into it, didn’t you?”

“I was desperate. What did I have to lose? And he bought it. I did kind of promise him that Mark could sit at the bar and look pretty.”

“Did you promise anything else?” Brad was being territorial.

“Fortunately, he bought on my first offer. Otherwise I was ready to sell you all body and soul, do the dishes, even."

“So how do we celebrate?”

“I’m thinking there’s some pent up demand. You guys sent off both bottoms at the same time. That’s not good planning.” Sean sounded hopeful.

“Yeah, they’ve both been on my ass since you guy’s hit end of the block.”

“You weren’t complaining.”

“Good thing, I’m versatile. If I was half as horny as you guys, there’d have been a war.”

“Thanks, John, you’ve done more than your part.” Brad was contrite.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get mine. Now take off those clothes.”

End of Chapter 8
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..