Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 2,071 Words
  • 927 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tangled Web - A Mystery - 10. Chapter 10 - Unexpected Consequences

Chapter 10 - Unexpected Consequences

Both Alex and Guy tried their best to refocus on their jobs. Each had returned to work with some anxiety about all the time they had taken off. Alex was greeted by his friends from the office on his first day back.

“I don’t know what you did or where you’ve been, but things have been buzzing. The head honcho keeps asking when you’ll be around. When I told him I didn’t know I was afraid he’d be pissed. No way. He said things could wait and to let him know when you returned. It was almost like he was afraid of you.” Alex shrugged his shoulders in disbelief. “I can’t figure it out either.”

Later that day, the chief economist stopped by Alex’s desk and asked if he would accompany him to lunch. Alex’s friends gave him the high sign. The higher ups only took important clients out. If they were going to fire him, someone from Human Resources would do that.

The luncheon was in the executive dining room on the top floor of the building. The meal was elegantly served in a beautiful room. The chief economist was approached by the president of the banking division. He was turned away, the economist saying he had more pressing matters. Alex was stunned.

“So, I’ve been reviewing the work you’ve done since you’ve been with us, solid ideas, well reason, thoroughly supported, all around good work. I hadn’t realized how much of what I’ve presented these past few years was based on your contribution. I’ll admit that you gave us all a start that day in the meeting. A congressional summons generally means bad things for those of us in the board room. I’ve been told it had nothing to do with the company, though a matter of importance no doubt.” Alex told him that he was not at liberty to discuss the matter, but could confirm that it had nothing to do with the company. The economist was relieved, though still a little skeptical. “Well, my boy, we’ll leave it at that.” A distinguished man approached their table. “Ah, here’s the chairman. Bill, this is the young man I was telling you about,” indicating Alex. “Yes, we’re just discussing his future with the company.”

The chairman leaned in close. “Young man, your name came up in a conversation I was having with some colleagues of mine in Washington. You are held in high regard by some important people. And I’m sure as Al has already told you, we appreciate your efforts here.” The chief economist nodded his agreement. “Al, let’s make sure Alex here is invited to the next offsite. You can bring your wife or girl. It’s more of a ‘get to know you’ session among the executives.”

Alex swallowed hard. “Sir, I have a partner, not a wife.”

The chairman reeled, but caught himself. “Of course, he’s welcome too. Might even shake things up a might. Those deals can be frighteningly dull. It would look good for our corporate image. Definitely bring him along.” The chairman said his luncheon appointment had arrived and excused himself.

The economist shook his head and said, “I don’t know who you know kid, but I’m beyond impressed. The chairman has not been what I might call ‘open minded’. I think you just changed his life and the whole company.”

“Look Mr. Grayson, I’m not trying to impress anyone, well I am, but not with whom I happen to know, though I’m not really sure who he was talking about. Anyway, I appreciate the attention, but I like what I do, I’m doing okay financially, and I’m not looking for any favors, just fair treatment. I think you might do well to give all the people in the department a closer look. They’re all as good as me, sometimes better. Sure there’s some rivalry, but I’m proud to be part of the team. I think we all are.”

“That, my boy, is how you get promoted. Have some dessert. I’ve got another appointment, if you will excuse me.” The economist left with a wave.

As Alex sat having dessert, he became aware of many eyes from other tables pointed his way. He smiled back awkwardly, quickly finishing his meal and left the dining room. When he got back to his desk, his friends gathered around. “So what was it like? What’s going on? You talked to the chairman and he knew who you were?” They peppered him with questions, most of which he did not know the answers to.

Alex’s immediate boss called to ask to speak to him. Alex went into the office, again apprehensive. “Alex, you’ve caught the eye of the brass. They’ve created a new position of advisor to the chief economist and you’re the man to fill it. I couldn’t agree more, your work has been outstanding. Congratulations.”

“Come on, Lou, I haven’t done anything the others haven’t been a part of.”

“Look Mr.Modesty, you’ve been recognized, promoted and there’s nothing you can do about it. But keep the attitude. Me and the boys will still go to lunch with you, if you’ll have us. Your new office is upstairs, next door to the chief economist.”

Alex left that day with his head in a spin. Somehow he had gotten on the fast track. It was nice, but dizzying. He could hear Cal and Guy talking when he got home. Guy greeted him with a kiss, Cal with a more chaste hug. “You look about to burst, and I don’t mean in the way you usually look about to burst when we’re together, if you know what I mean,” Guy teased with a wink.

“It’s really weird. I got a big promotion at work. If I had known all I had to do was take a bunch of time off with no explanation to get a promotion, I would have goofed off long ago. The chief economist took me out to lunch. He’d been looking for me since the first meeting we had in New York. The Chairman knew who I was and said his friends had been talking about me. What’s going on?”

“Friends in Washington?” Guy asked.

“Yeah, he did mention that.”

“I think our little adventure, while very secret, may be having some impact.” Guy speculated. “I got invited to a political event next week. I normally steer clear of the DA’s political ambitions, but he insisted I attend. Other than chewing me out when the judge went nuts that time, he hasn’t really spoken to me. It seems to be a pattern.”

“Rewards well deserved, my friends.” Cal beamed.

***

The three left for the college on an afternoon train the next Saturday. A cab dropped them off in front of Dr. Waldheim’s house. He must have been looking for them since he greeted them from the porch. “Welcome my friends.” Then he looked into Cal’s eyes. Dr. Waldheim’s chin quivered, his eyes filled with tears. Cal embraced him, tears also flowing. “I’m so very sorry, dear Cal. This is the first we have met since that awful day, when we, you lost so much. Please forgive this old man’s tears. The grief is always with me, as I see it is with you. Please, come inside.”

On entering the grand foyer of the old Victorian house, they met with Dr. Waldheim’s wife. “Dear, you remember our young friends. And you remember Professor Stephenson. He’s returned to us.” She welcomed them all and patted Dr. Waldheim on the shoulder, understanding his emotion. “Come into my study. I think Manhattan’s were agreeable last time. Cal, what will you have?”

Cal sank into an old chair, grieving anew. “I haven’t had Bourbon since Stu and I were together. I think it’s appropriate now. Thank you, Dr. Waldheim.”

“So you, my boys have changed the world. Samir will be leading his country to a new way, I think a better way. It’s all possible because of you. I don’t forget Thibaud and Henri. What fine friends you have.”

Dr. Waldheim pulled a file from his desk. “Cal, there is some business I need to discuss with you.” When Guy and Alex got up to leave, he said, “I’m sure it will be alright if you stay. While it is personal, I think Cal will appreciate your presence.” Dr. Waldheim adjusted his glasses and quickly glanced over a few documents. “I am the executor of Stuart Marcus’s will. Since his death, it has been in probate, pending communication with the beneficiaries. I contacted Stuart’s wife, since she was not named as a beneficiary and thought she should be informed in the event she wished to contest the will. She did not. Her reply, of which there is a notarized copy in the file, states that Stuart’s estate was his to dispose of and she makes no claim. Which brings us to you Cal. Stuart left his estate to you. It consists of his house and contents, including the car and a not inconsiderable investment account. He was a frugal man, good with money.” Cal was weeping openly. Alex was sniffing. Guy tried to swallow his own emotion. “He loved you Cal, of that there is no doubt.”

Dr. Waldheim took a long pull from his drink. “There is something else I want to talk to you about, Cal. You never finished your contract with us.” Cal looked up in shock. “Understandable under the circumstances, but it is my intention that you return to fulfill that contract. There is an opening in the Economics Department. I’m sure you’ve been keeping up with your field.”

“Cal has done a major paper on emerging economies. I think, from the brief look I had, that it will serve as a dissertation,” Alex added.”

“Well done Cal,” enthused Dr. Waldheim. “Perhaps we can arrange a discussion with some of my colleagues at Columbia and see if you can join their doctoral program. If you’ve already done the work, we can fast track it.”

“Now, if we’ve finished our drinks, why don’t we walk over to Stuart’s,” Dr. Waldheim stopped himself, “Cal’s house.”

As they walked along Dr. Waldheim told them that he had talked with the ladies of the business office of Cal’s return and that he had inherited Mr. Marcus’s house. They asked permission to fix things up, which was granted.

On arriving at the property, Cal remarked on how beautifully cared for the grounds were. Dr. Waldheim explained that after Mr. Marcus’s death, the college maintenance crews adopted the property into their care as their tribute to Mr. Marcus. Dr. Waldheim produced keys and handed them to Cal. Once inside, Cal wandered from room to room. He went into the bedroom and closed the door behind him.

Dr. Waldheim spoke through the closed door. “We’ll go along to my house. When you’re ready join us for dinner.”

Alex stood in the living room, looking at the floor. Guy put his arm around him, and looked down. “The rug is stained red. The wine you saw spilled.” Alex collapsed into Guy’s embrace.

Dr. Waldheim spoke to them from across the room. “Cal grieves for what he has lost and what might have been. You, my friend, Alex, experienced the pain of being alone in the world with none who can understand, then losing the one chance to be heard. It’s different now, but I know it hurt terribly then.”

“Dr. Waldheim, you understood me better than I did myself. I cannot tell you how much your kindness mattered to a shy, unhappy student.”

“Come along, we’ll leave Cal for a bit.”

***

Cal came into the parlor as they were having wine and hors d’oeuvres. “Perhaps you would like to freshen up a bit?” Mrs. Waldheim offered.

“No, thank you. I washed up at Stu’s, my house. Dr. Waldheim, thank you for all you have done for me. And you Alex and Guy, thank you. A few weeks ago I thought I was alone in the world, had lost everything. Now with the help and kindness of friends I did not know I had then, I have a home, a job, my reputation, and a new chance at life.”

“You are most welcome, my boy. No less than you deserve. I think we are ready to eat, my dear.” Dr. Waldheim invited them to sit and enjoy the meal.

End of Chapter 10
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..