Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 4,530 Words
  • 961 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tangled Web - A Mystery - 9. Chapter 9 - A Choice

div> Chapter 9 - A Choice

As the days passed, anxiety rose in each of them about what would happen in Ottawa. The day arrived for them to travel to Canada. Alex had visited an office of the airline in the city to arrange for their tickets. They agreed that the less attention drawn to them, the better. Their journey was uneventful. The State Department had made their hotel arrangements, they had little to do once they checked in.

Cal hung out in their room, too nervous to sit alone. There was a knock at the door. On opening the door, Cal exclaimed. Samir rushed in and hugged Cal. Another man followed, presumably Kenny. “We couldn’t wait any longer. We have to find out what has happened.”

Cal introduced everyone. Samir and Alex renewed their acquaintance from college. “I am most grateful for your help. I realize nothing is final yet, but you got involved, at your own risk, when you didn’t have to. I will never be able to repay you.”

Alex blushed, saying he sought no repayment. Everything that Guy and he had done was the right thing to do. What started out as pure curiosity had swept them along into events they could never have anticipated. He was still anxious about how things would turn out at the meeting.

Cal had everyone sit down and recounted, with Alex and Guy’s help, the events that had transpired that had led them to be together. When he got to the part about Stu Marcus, he broke down.

At Samir and Kenny’s questioning looks, Alex picked up the story. “Mr. Marcus was murdered.”

Samir stared for a moment taking it in. “Because of me, Mr. Marcus was murdered. This cannot go on. I’ve ruined your life, Cal, ruined your life Kenny. Endangered so many others. I’ve got to face these people. It must stop.”

Kenny stood and took Samir in his arms. “You haven’t ruined my life. You’ve only given me love. I couldn’t bear to be without you.”

Cal stood, putting his hand on Samir’s shoulder. “You haven’t ruined my life, either. What I did, I did so you wouldn’t share your brother’s fate. I loved him and am proud to have helped you. The consequences were my own.” He then asked Samir and Kenny, “How did you know to run away? What happened after we left each other? How have you survived?”

Samir began. “It all started when I was in town in the drug store. I was getting some supplies to meet Kenny. We had run out of lube. From the next aisle I heard the crash of something being knocked off of a shelf followed by a curse. A curse, not in English, but in my own dialect. It went through me like a knife. Someone from my own country was in the store. I crept to the end of the aisle, then seeing the way clear, I ran for the door. I hid behind a car and looked back to see if I had been seen and was being followed. A small woman was at the door in front of the store looking around. She looked as if she could be from my country, but I had heard a man’s voice. Then two large men came out with her. They looked around, then went back into the drug store.

Kenny and I had been working on our escape plan ever since Cal left the note that the plot to kidnap me was imminent. We thought that public transportation was the safest, so that meant the train. It was my idea to have us go back and forth so if we were spotted, we’d be spotted many times and throw confusion about our escape. I called my roommate and asked him to bring an envelope of train tickets I had purchased earlier. He met me on the footpath from town. I was able to stash them in the place under the bench where we had left notes. I called Kenny and told him to meet me as we had arranged. I was starting back through town to the train station when I spotted the same car I had hidden behind, a large black SUV. This time, though there were two others just like it. It struck me as odd. One would be strange enough around there, but three travelling together was impossible. I was sure they were being used by the agents coming after me. I ran through backyards and got to the train station just in time to get away. I’m pretty sure they didn’t spot me. Kenny met me at the station. We followed the plan and waited for Cal, praying that he would figure out what all the train tickets meant. We were relieved when he got off the train. We were about to give up on him, afraid the plot to implicate him in the kidnapping had worked.”

“After that our survival has depended upon Kenny.” Samir looked lovingly at him. “His family helped us get away, as you know Cal. Kenny had friends in Toronto who helped us create new identities. This man I love had a colorful past about which I was totally unaware, until we needed help. Then I learned that Kenny had a taste for Middle Eastern men. He had many friends and I suspect former lovers in that community in Toronto. It made it easy for me to fit in. His friends didn’t ask any questions. Kenny worked a regular job and I did what I could to make some money, but it wasn’t easy to go out in the world, always afraid I might be recognized.”

“Samir, I’ve been happy to be able to help you. I love you.” Kenny turned to the others, “Samir has struggled ever since we ran away. His conscience has eaten at him for abandoning his responsibilities – I know you tried not to show it, Samir, but I know you too well. He has kept track of every event in or near his country, desperate to do something. I’m terrified of what will happen tomorrow’s at the meeting, afraid that Samir will be in danger again, that once he’s exposed they’ll get him this time. I do know, though, that he can’t stay in hiding. I’m so afraid of losing him.” Tears came down Kenny’s face.

Samir tried to comfort him. Alex looked on in shock. “I never dreamed these events would threaten what you two have.”

“Your every action has been right and just,” Samir replied. “While it was necessary for me to flee, it was not right. I must fight what is evil, just as you, my friends, have. My only regret is that I risk my beloved in facing my own life.” He clung to Kenny.

***

They arranged to have dinner together in the room, choosing to stay out of sight as much as possible. Their conversation had worn down, each with his own concerns about the next day. Alex and Guy escorted Cal and Samir and Kenny to their rooms, then returned to their own.

For the first time in their relationship, they were uncomfortable with each other. They lay on the bed, side by side.

“What is it lover?” Guy asked.

“There’s such darkness all over this. It doesn’t feel like a good deed anymore,” Alex replied.

“I know what you mean. Still we should wait to see what tomorrow’s meeting brings, though I know it’s hard to stop thinking about it.” Guy reached over and cupped Alex’s balls. They were warm and soft, filling his hand. “I’m glad I’m not alone tonight, that I have you here with me.” He kissed Alex’s shoulder. “You know, as many times as we’ve made love, it feels good just holding your balls.” He kissed Alex on the neck. “I love smelling your scent, just now, when you’ve just gotten out of the shower, when you’ve just gotten home from the gym with pits all sweaty, or best of all, just after we’ve made love. It smells like home to me, only more sexy.” He nibbled on Alex’s ear lobe then traced the shape of his ear with his tongue. “Alex is my favorite flavor, flavors really. Your tongue, your nips, your cock, your cum.” He kissed Alex’s face, starting with his forehead, each eye, his nose, his chin, and then is lips. “I love you Alex. How can I ease your heart?” Guy’s hand rested on Alex’s chest over his heart.

Alex was silent, trembling.

“Are you alright, lover?” Guy grew concerned. He walked his hand down Alex’s torso, and smiled to himself when he encountered Alex’s engorged cock. He slowly ran his fingers the length of Alex’s cock, teased his balls, and worked back up to the head. “Let me make you cum, it will help.”

Alex began to chuckle. “Guy, Guy, Guy. You could seduce a stone statue. I’ve gone from the depths of despair to mad horny. You’d better make me cum after all that. I nearly have a couple of times already. Now flip over so I can suck your beautiful cock.”

Alex began licking Guy’s cock head, then engulfed it with his mouth. He worked it slowly deeper into his mouth, wetting it with his saliva to make it slide easier. He opened his throat and began to take Guy deep into his throat. He could feel Guy’s cock swell in his throat. Alex worked his throat muscles against it, hearing Guy’s moan in response. Just as Alex needed to back off to breath, he felt his own cock sucked into Guy’s mouth. The pleasure of Guy’s mouth on his cock rivaled the pleasure of having Guy’s cock in his mouth. He swallowed Guy again. Though slow and gentle, the exchange of pleasure pushed them both toward climax. Guy let loose first while still deep in Alex’s throat. Alex could feel the pulsing of the cock locked inside him, his throat squeezing more cum out of Guy. Alex’s own orgasm began with a great ooze of cum onto Guy’s tongue. Guy swallowed Alex’s cock, burying his nose into Alex’s pubes, receiving a blast of cum down his throat. Several more blasts came, until Alex’s cock began to subside. Guy sucked hard on the cock, seeking to drain Alex of all his cum. Guy reluctantly released Alex’s cock, then turned around again to kiss Alex’s face again. They lay together, touching each other’s chests to feel their beating hearts until sleep came.

***

Alex and Guy had finished their room service breakfast and were waiting for the time to depart for the meeting. Cal came in first, looking concerned. Kenny and Samir came in later. It was clear they had not slept well, but not for the loving reason that had kept Alex and Guy awake.

“There’s supposed to be a car to take us over to the meeting waiting for us. I’ll call down to make sure it’s there,” Guy said. The front desk confirmed that their car had arrived. “Here we go,” Guy said with anxiety as he pushed them toward the door.

The day outside was clear and cold, the sun still low in the sky. They drove along the streets of Ottawa, far less congested than New York or Toronto, coming to an official looking building near the Parliament building. They were driven under a covered entryway, helped from the car and escorted to a conference room. Windows overlooked the Parliament building, brightening the dark paneled room.

They sat around the room in silence, waiting for what was to come. Through a door at one end, voices could be heard. Samir perked up at the sound. He rushed to the door and went through it. Kenny leapt up to follow Samir. The three remaining could hear exclamations in a foreign language. They exchanged glances, fearing for Samir.

He reappeared in the doorway a moment later. “Come, meet my friends,” he said as he led an older woman into the room. She was dressed in an exquisite gown and walked with a regal bearing. She was followed by three men. “Mother, this is Kenny. Kenny, my love, this is my mother. He is the one, the one for my life.”

Samir’s mother took Kenny’s hand, then embraced him. “Thank you for protecting my son. You have my eternal gratitude. Now I have another son.”

“And this is Cal, he is Rakesh’s widower. He, with the help of your friend in Vermont, saved me from Uncle’s agents.”

“Meeting you, Cal, grieves my heart. I have long born the pain of the death of Rakesh, my first born son. That you should rescue my second son is beyond generosity. I thank you, though words can never express my gratitude.” She wept and embraced Cal who also wept.

“There is more, Mother. Cal lost another he loved as he saved me. His sacrifice to our family knows no bound.”

“And these, these are the men who made today possible. Alex attended college with me and Guy is his partner. They opened their eyes and hearts and saw injustice. They did not turn away. They have saved me yet again.”

“You have brought my son to me, my life’s one hope to see him again. A thousand thanks to you and blessings for your gift to me. My own Samir, your friends are a testament that heaven smiles on your life.” She bowed to them individually.

Samir took one of the men with his mother by the hand and pulled him to the front. “This, gentlemen is my cousin, Rajesh. We grew up together and now he is a minister in our country in charge of industrial development. He is the son of my father’s second brother. Yes, Rajesh, I have been following your career closely from afar. I am proud of all you have accomplished. You have made service to the people more important than personal power.”

“That is why I am here, Samir. Our country is in turmoil and threatened by forces from within and outside. I regret that among the worst of these is our uncle. Grandfather will not live long and your father, he is not strong enough to oppose Uncle. We need someone to lead us into the future. We need you Samir, only you can do this.”

“But Rajesh, you know that I cannot be king.” Samir glanced at Kenny.

“There is another way. I will explain all. Friends from the States, Canada, and France have helped me to lay the groundwork. And who you are makes it possible in many ways. I believe you will be embraced as a leader by all the factions. Except one.”

“Uncle.”

“Yes, he grasps at power, dreams of becoming king. He has done, will do, anything to achieve this. As long as you live, he will hunt you. You and yours will never know safety or peace. With you to lead us and the help of our allies, his reign of terror can be broken. But you, only you must be the one.”

“How can I, who have been in hiding, an avowed homosexual, cursed by our tradition, be the one?”

“Even in your childhood you spoke with distaste of royalty’s treatment of our people. You came to America because its sense of freedom and justice matched your own heart. I cannot believe that has other than grown in you,” Rajesh stated, then paused. “And you will have no heir.”

Samir nodded knowingly. “The dynasty will be broken. But I do not wish to be king. I do not want that power.”

“Nor do we want you to be king.”

“What then?”

“We need you to be our leader, one who has the legitimacy of king, but who acknowledges the rights of the people, all the people,” Rajesh said with a nod to Samir’s mother. “We need a man who can lead us from the old ways to the new, one who has a right to power, but declines the title.”

“But Rajesh, you have prepared the way, done all the work. Surely you are more suitable to guide a transition.”

“You flatter me. No, Samir, only you have the authority and the demeanor to save our country. And I have three children, so far.”

“This path will not be easy,” Samir said thoughtfully. “There will be danger. The old guard will not give up its grab for power. They must be dealt with.”

“How you decide to confront that situation will decide whether we ever have peace,” Samir’s mother said quietly.

“I cannot use the means of oppression that have been used against me, against my people. Courts must decide culpability and mercy must be shown.”

“And Uncle, he has killed your brother, tried to kill you, is trying to usurp your father’s rights. What of him.”

“To remove this danger might be wiser, though revenge burns in my heart, he must be shown mercy.”

“That is the wisdom and courage I depended upon hearing,” Rajesh replied.

At that moment the door to the hallway burst open. Four people entered their room, in the middle of the group, a woman small of stature who presence immediately commanded the room. She turned to the man next to her. “Well, has he agreed to the arrangements?”

“Madam Secretary,” Rajesh spoke respectfully to the woman. “We had just arrived at the question when you entered.” Then to Samir. “Samir, the Secretary of State needs your assurance that you will not accept the throne, but will serve as the interim leader of a transition government, acknowledging the rights of the people, acknowledging women as full citizens, decrying violence, and embracing peace.” All eyes turned to Samir.

“But what of Kenny? I owe him my life. He is my life.” Samir pleaded.

The woman, a leader of the world, sat down in the chair next to Samir. Her face and tone softened. “Samir, every leader, particularly one who would be an agent of change, needs one person whom he can trust absolutely. Your life, your mother’s life, the life of all your family will be in his hands. A leader can only lead when he knows he has at least one haven, one protector.” Kenny had moved to stand behind Samir. “I’d say this great, red haired man will be an ornament in your court.” She stood. “Well?”

Kenny spoke, “Samir, you have no choice. You cannot allow your country, the country I know you love, collapse into civil war or even worse yet, fall into the hands of an oppressive regime. Rajesh has prepared the way, but you must do this.” Kenny was firm.

“Madam Secretary, I fear that the influence of the United States will be taken as interference and will damage my authority.”

“I agree. The United States will not participate in the transition in any way. France and Canada have offered their support to your government. France has obtained commitments from the popular opposition. Once your government is well established, the United States will happily acknowledge its legitimacy and offer our friendship. We hope to promote peace in the region, support the equality of women and all citizens, honor traditions and religious values, but not at the expense of the rights of the people. This may sound like rhetoric, but these are the principles of our country. We seek to promote them in yours.”

Samir rose from his seat. He embraced Kenny then looked him in the eye. “This may mean we cannot marry as we had planned. If you go with me, your life will not be your own.”

“From the moment I met you, my life has not been my own. As long as I am with you, I will be happy. I could not leave you in danger. Do what must be done.”

“Madam Secretary, Mother, I accept this proposal. With Kenny at my side, I accept this life.”

“Good. The French government has arranged transportation. It is vital that you have returned to your country before the king dies. I fear for your father’s life at the hands of his own brother. Once you have arrived, the balance will shift. You can depend upon our support and our discretion. Good luck, Samir.” The Secretary of State and her entourage left the room.

They sat in silence, as if recovering from a great storm. Samir embraced his mother, then Rajesh. They thanked him for his choice.

Alex, Guy, and Cal stepped toward the door. Samir broke from his family and interrupted them. “No, my friends. You have given me, given my country a new life. If it’s long or short, only heaven will decide, but it will be my life. And Kenny, you are the man every man wants by his side. I apologize now for every moment we will not be able to share. Your gift to me is greater than any other and all I can return is my need for you and my love.” Samir kissed Kenny.

“Cal, I will need advice on matters of the economy. May I call upon your assistance?”

Cal demurred. “I am not in a position to offer my help, as welcome to my help as you are.”

“Fuss! Academic credentials are trivial compared to the loyalty you have shown me all these years. I could never trust anyone as much.”

“Alex, Guy. You give me hope for the world. You have been selfless in your pursuit of justice. I pray to be worthy of the honor you have made possible. If in my power, I will grant any request.” Samir embraced them both.

“Be as good a man always as you are today, idealistic and loving. That is all I request,” said Alex. Guy put his arm around him and held him tightly.

The door opened again. A French officer came in and addressed Samir. “Sir, we have received word that your father is failing. We need to move quickly. With your permission, we would like to go to the airport immediately. Who, other than your mother, the minister and security will be travelling with you?” He scanned the room.

“Just me” said Kenny as he again embraced Samir.

“Then follow me.”

“Good bye, my friends. Thank you for all you have done. My apologies for this abrupt departure.” They were gone.

***

Alex, Guy and Cal sat in the hotel bar well into their third drink.

“I can’t believe all that has happened today,” Guy said.

“Three weeks ago I was hiding in the Caribbean, wondering if my life would ever be normal again.” Cal replied.

“Cal what are you going to do next?” Alex asked.

“I have no idea. I’m broke, no job, been in hiding for five years. I don’t know what to do.”

“Well you are the economic advisor to a Middle Eastern country. That’s got to be worth something,” Guy encouraged.

“I guess. It’s hard to quantify that right now.”

“One thing we’ve got to do is tell Henri and Thibaud how everything has turned out. Thibaud was the link that filled in some critical gaps and Henri was the one who really made things happen. Without his connections, today would not have happened,” Alex said.

“And Dr. Waldheim, we must tell him. He still has work to do with Worthington. We should see him as soon as we can,” Guy reminded them.

“Cal, you’re welcome to stay with us. I can offer that since I’m confident you’ll find your way. And I kind of liked having dinner made those evenings, not to mention, you clean really well.” Guy agreed.

***

They called Thibaud the next morning, having time before their flight back to New York. He sounded a little breathless. “Thibaud, are you alright?” Alex asked.

Marveilleu, mon frère. I was just finishing someone, I mean something.”

“Butcher or baker?”

“Not even the candlestick maker, ha ha. No it is none other than the handsome Henri. He came to me early today so we have dined in bed, among other things. So, have we news? Let me put the phone on speaker. There. Tell all.”

Bonjour Henri.”

“So, it has happened? I did not expect to hear from you for another day or so,” Henri informed them.

“It was yesterday, here at least. We did not want to call in the middle of the night, and I’m afraid we got a little drunk. Yes, it has happened.”

“Samir agreed?” Henri asked.

“Yes, he agreed. You seem to be ahead of us on this.” Alex told him.

“I happened to have heard that he might be offered a role as transitional leader provided he declined the throne, agreed to support the rights of the people, and decry violence. Now it is done. That will mean I have much to do. I have never met your friend, Samir, but he must be a most remarkable man.” Henri’s voice showed his admiration.

“Maybe even more remarkable is Kenny, his lover. Kenny helped Samir escape and has been protecting Samir all this time. Now he has agreed to go with Samir as his confident and guard.”

“Was Rajesh there?”

“You know Rajesh? Yes, he was there. So was Samir’s mother.”

“She was?” Henri was amazed. “This is very important news. She will carry much of the old guard, Rajesh represents modern moderates, and we have support from the opposition. Much will depend upon how well the king’s second son can be neutralized. I am hopeful for a good outcome.”

“How is Cal?” Thibaud interrupted.

“He’s right here. Cal, how are you?”

“Thibaud. It’s wonderful to hear your voice. Henri, I am envious of you. You must be very special to have captured Thibaud’s heart.”

“Not so special that I have to keep recapturing the rest of him.” Henri was tart as usual.

“I’ve got to figure out what to do next. Alex and Guy have more than generously agreed to put me up for a while. I have my life to put back together.”

“After all this, good fortune must be on your side. All of you, you must come back soon to visit us in Provence. This time I will warn my mother that there will be guests. Keep in touch, in the meanwhile, you have all become very dear to me, especially since I think Thibaud is safe with you. But, you Cal, perhaps it is necessary for you to find a lover before you come.”

“It’s not my first priority, but I’ll see what I can do.”

They said good bye and hung up.

***

Once back in New York, Alex called Dr. Waldheim to tell him all the news. He was overjoyed to hear that there was so much promise for Samir. Dr. Waldheim asked, “Cal is staying with you, you said? You must all come up this weekend. I am sorry to sound impatient, but with Cal out of hiding, there are things we must do. Is it possible for you to come?”

Alex told Dr. Waldheim that they would come. Alex could tell that there were important things yet to tell in this matter.

 
End of Chapter 9
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..