Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 491 Words
  • 778 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tangled Web - A Mystery - 11. Chapter 11 - New Beginnings

Chapter 11 - New Beginnings

Cal sat on the bench in the early fall light. The sun was warm after the early morning fog had lifted from the campus. His life was quiet now, he had classes to teach, students to advise, friends among the faculty and a close relationship with the acting college president, Dr. Waldheim. He savored his good fortune but still felt the empty grayness that lingered in his heart. He closed his eyes and lifted his face to the sun.

“This place is special to you,” a voice said nearby.

Cal slowly turned his head toward the voice and opened his eyes. There stood a man, tall and lean, dressed in the academic uniform of a corduroy jacket with elbow patches, a button-down shirt and flannel trousers, boat shoes and no socks. The face was lively, sporting a goatee, sparkling smile and deep green eyes.

“Word is that you met him here every day.”

“Nearly every day.” Cal’s voice was soft with recollection.

“I don’t mean to intrude, but I do want to get to know you. I’m Octavius March. I’m new in the Humanities department. I was hoping that as the other unattached under sixty member of the faculty that we could be friends. It’s a lovely campus and everyone is more than kind, but it is kind of lonely.”

“Do they have you staying in a dorm room?” Cal asked knowingly.

“Ugh, yes they do. Temporarily. I’ve taken on the drama production and spend so much time on campus I want to be nearby. The options, as I imagine you are aware, are limited.”

“You’d be surprised what can turn up.”

“May I join you on your bench?”

“Yes, of course, please sit down. And forgive my rudeness. I’m Cal Stephenson.”

“Oh, I know. I made it my business to find out. Professor Stephenson of the Economics Department.”

“Octavius?”

“Yes, my father was a classics scholar. I’ve never been able to come up with a decent nick name either, so it’s Octavius. Seems so pretentious at times. Can you guess my birthday? Dad really did have a strange sense of humor.”

Cal just smiled with the realization.

“There that’s better. Your face deserves a smile. You looked so sad as I approached. You must have loved him very much.”

“I did. I had given myself over to a quiet life of quiet pleasures, well some weren’t so quiet,” Cal laughed. “Won’t you join me for dinner tonight? I live just along the path to town, the little house. It belonged to Stu, but he gave it to me in his will.”

“Would it violate any boundaries if I asked to kiss you?” Octavius ventured.

“That would be very nice. Stu and I always met here with a kiss. It seems appropriate, somehow. Yes, Octavius, kiss me. I warn you, I’ve been alone a long time. I may not be able to contain myself.”

“That’s what I’m counting on.”

End of Chapter 11
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..