Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 2,610 Words
  • 751 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tangled Web - A Mystery - 8. Chapter 8 - Return to the Caribean

Chapter 8 - Return to the Caribean

Guy played with Alex’s ear as he searched for flights. “You’re the cutest travel agent I ever saw. Also the most naked travel agent I ever saw.”

“Stop it a minute. I nearly booked us to Bucharest. We’ve got time for a shower, to pack some stuff and the ride to JFK before the flight. Now march, Mister.”

***

They waited in a long line at the ticket counters at the airport. Finally at the counter, Alex presented the ticket vouchers to the airline representative. Alex expected some issue and was not surprised that the representative grabbed her phone and spoke in hushed tones. Within seconds several security guards and a senior airline representative surrounded Alex and Guy. Their hearts pounded as the represented said, “Gentlemen, please follow me. Passports, please.” They were led through security following the briefest flick of the passports to the guards there and escorted to an elevator. In a secure hallway one level above the concourse, the representative again spoke. “We are very sorry you waited in line. Had you informed us of your arrival, we would have made arrangements.”

Alex apologized and asked where they were going.

The representative smiled. “Oh my, you’re not regular State Department travelers. The airlines maintain secure facilities for diplomats and others for whom discretion is advised. Once at the lounge, all the arrangements will be made for you. You will be escorted to the plane after other passengers have boarded.”

Alex expressed his thanks. They were escorted to a comfortable lounge, offered drinks. “Could I use a phone to make an international call? I have a phone card,” Alex asked. He was told a phone for international calls was available and was fully secured. It was brought to him immediately.

Alex dialed the number given to him by Cal when they met. “Hello? Smitty?”

“Yeah, Smitty here.”

“Could you tell Ron that Alex is on his way to St. Thomas and would like ‘the royal treatment’. This was their agreed up on signal that all had gone well.

“Okay, let me make sure I got this. Tell Ron Alex is coming down for the ‘royal treatment’. That it? You sure? Okay.” A hand muffled the receiver, but Alex could hear what was said. “Hey Ron, Some guy named Alex is calling for something he’s calling ‘the royal treatment.’ I didn’t think you did that kind of stuff on your charters. Yeah, yeah, here take the phone.”

“Alex?” Cal was breathless. “Did Smitty say ‘the royal treatment’? It’s been so quick. You’re coming down? When do you get here?”

“We’ll fill you in when we get there. I think it’s all going to be okay. We arrive around 4 PM. We’ll come directly to the marina. Oh, I’ve got Guy with me. Yes, I’ll give him a kiss for you. See you in five hours.”

“I’m only guessing, but he sounded pretty excited” Guy said.

“It must be like hearing your prison sentence is being suspended. Oh, here’s something for you from Cal.” Alex held Guy and kissed him. “Yum.”

A short while later they were escorted to the plane. The flight attendants were standing in a row waiting for them. As soon as they boarded the plane, the door closed behind them, they were taken to their seats and the plane pulled away. Drinks were offered again.

“No thanks, we just need to catch our breath,” Guy said. Then to Alex, “You seem to have connected us with some important people.”

They dozed during the flight, having not slept much the night before from excitement about the hearing and other activities. Before they landed, a flight attendant approached them to explain that they would be disembarked ahead of the other passengers, ground transportation had been arranged, their luggage would be cleared through customs, and they would be escorted through emigration. Within minutes of the plane’s landing they were in a large car headed for the marina. Alex gave the driver their destination. The driver confirmed Alex’s response with some disbelief but quickly drove as directed.

Alex led Guy to the marina bar. It was cool and dark after the tropical heat of the late afternoon. From the shadows came a gruff voice, “What do you boys want?” There was no one else in the place.

“You must be Smitty,” recognizing the voice from the phone call. “I’m Alex. I’m here to see Ron”.

“You’re Alex? You was in here a while back. You owe me.”

Alex grinned. “You’re right, I do. I’m sorry I’m late paying up. I had to leave quickly. Ron can explain. In any case, here’s double what we agreed on.”

“It ain’t necessary,” Smitty said as he made the bills disappear, “anything to help out Ron. He was getting the boat ready and may be a while yet. Have a beer. On me.” He poured out two cold beers and slid them across to Alex and Guy. They sat at the bar and enjoyed the beer.

Half a beer later, the doors opened behind them. Before they could turn to look, powerful arms embraced them. “Ron?”

“Yup. You guys ready? As Alex knows, it’s best to talk when we’re a ways off shore.” Cal, still using the name Ron, led them to the end of the pier and helped them with their luggage onto his sail boat. He stored their belongings below decks and started the engine. “Alex could you take the wheel while I cast off?”

Guy looked on impressed as Alex, somewhat nervously, steered the boat away from the pier and out into the channel. Cal set the sails and came back to the cockpit, relieving Alex at the wheel and cut the engine. The sails caught the wind, the boat heeled and they headed out into the open sea. “So, Alex, when did you become a sailor?”

“I learned a few things when I was here with Cal last time.”

“Hey you better not call me that.”

“Are we far enough out for safety?”

Few other boats were in sight and they were quickly far from shore. Still, Cal scanned all around. “It hasn’t been easy, living like this. Having to think about everything you say, making sure nothing leads back to your past life. Not being able to get close to anyone. Never speaking to anyone you used to know. Never sure if one slip would result in the death of an innocent person.” Cal’s face showed the strain of the years alone. “I think we’re okay to talk now.”

Alex puffed up with importance. “Calvin Stephenson, by the power entrusted to me by the Governor of the State of New York, as represented by the Attorney General, it is my honor to inform you that all charges related to kidnapping and murder have been dropped and that you have no outstanding obligations to the State.

Cal’s jaw dropped. Alex went on.

“Calvin Stephenson, by the power entrusted to me by the State Department of the United States I am pleased to tell you that you have been fully repatriated and are welcome to return to the United States with the full rights and benefits of citizenship.

Guy said nodding, “It’s true, Cal. Alex got it all figured out. It’s all on the quiet, but it’s all fixed up for you. We’ve got all the documents in our luggage.”

Cal’s eyes were filled with tears. Then a look of concern crossed his face. “What about Samir?”

“Good news there, too, Cal. We all, including you, have a meeting in three weeks time in Canada. The State Department is making arrangements for friendly forces from Samir’s country to meet in order to find a way to let Samir live his life. It looks like that may be challenging, but at least you can stop being punished for things you never did, stop running away.”

“Alex, can you steer a bit. Head for that island ahead. I’ve got to take a minute and tell Stu.” Cal went to the bow of the sailboat. His head was bowed, his shoulders hunched with emotion, Alex and Guy could tell he was crying.

Guy moved to sit next to Alex. “I can’t imagine how it would hurt to be falsely accused of killing your lover. He’s had that on his own all these years.” Guy put his arm around Alex and held him.

Cal came back toward them. “Head over between those two islands” he said pointing in the direction. “I’ve got the sails.” Cal showed an internal calm. He sat in the cockpit, gazing at the horizon. “So how did you guys do it?”

Alex was concentrating on steering the boat, so Guy took up the narrative. “After Alex met with you, we went to see Dr. Waldheim. He filled in most of the missing details and Alex brought it all together. We had help from Thibaud’s significant other, Henri.”

Cal exclaimed.

“He’s a French diplomat of some kind. Henri was able to get a hearing with senior folks from the State Department, the New York Attorney General and someone from the Canadian government, all presided over by a Federal judge. Officially the meeting never happened. But with the evidence that Alex had collected and the information those attending the meeting had, it was clear that Alex had the story right. They understood that you, Cal, didn’t commit those crimes.

“I think we’re at your special cove, Cal” Alex said nervously. Cal looked up, nodded, and said, “Head her into the wind. I’ll get the anchor and drop sails. Well done, Captain, for all you’ve done.”

***

“I think it best if we lay low for a few days before heading back to the States,” Guy suggested. Cal agreed, saying that he had provisions for a week on board, not knowing whether Alex’s news would be a complete exoneration. They all feared some kind of reprisal from the foreign government, so agreed that cruising around the Caribbean was a perfect way to stay out of sight. And to set things up so Samir has a chance, too.

Guy asked Cal “You said you had a way to contact Samir? We need to let him know what has happened and to meet us in Ottawa.”

Cal turned on the ship-to-shore radio. He contacted the marine operator and asked to be connected to Smitty at the harbor bar. “Hey Smitty, this is Ron, do me a favor and call,” he gave a number. “Tell Kenny to call Cal on Thursday at your place. Thanks. Over.” Then to Alex and Guy, “I figure we can be back in St. Thomas on Thursday. It will take me a while to turn to the boat over to the owner and we’ll need to book flights back to the U.S.”

With some time until they needed to return, Alex and Guy spent their days swimming, sunning and making love on the beach, their nights making love in the cabin. Cal kept a discrete distance when appropriate and was gleeful of the company, company he could talk to without reservations. When not sailing the boat, or directing Alex how to sail the boat, Cal worked on a stack of papers he kept in a waterproof box.

Curiosity overcame Alex. “What are you working on so diligently?”

Cal looked up amused. “When I had to run away from my life, I was still the same person, the academic and economist I trained to be. I’ve been working on a series of papers on developing economies, with a focus on the Caribbean. I’ve had five years to collect data and have been using these last few days to organize my thoughts. If things work out as you suggest they might, I’ll try to publish these. Maybe I can go back to teaching college. Maybe.” Cal was wistful.

They set sail early on Thursday, arriving before 9 AM at the marina on St. Thomas. Smitty met them and helped Cal tie up the boat. “I already got two phone calls from that guy Kenny you had me call. I guess they don’t know about Caribbean time. Jeez.”

“Thanks Smitty. I’m here for the next time he calls.” They could hear the bar phone jangling. Cal raced down the sloping dock and into the bar. Alex and Guy arrived a moment later, Cal was already on the phone. “Yes, Kenny, it’s me Cal. Everything has changed. It looks like it will be alright, hopefully for all of us. I had some help from an unexpected quarter, and they set things up so Samir can come out of hiding, too. We’re set to meet in two weeks in Ottawa – you can make it right? I don’t want to say too much on the phone, but someone from the college, Samir might remember him, Alex, got hold of the real story. He and his partner Guy have gotten important folks from the U.S. government to help out. Be in Ottawa in two weeks. If anything happens, call Guy’s cell phone, the number is…” Guy called out the number. “Got that? Good. Can I still contact you at the old number? Okay. It’s really going to be alright. My best to Samir and see you in two weeks. Bye.”

“I guess it’s all set.”

Alex asked Smitty, who had just come in the door, “May I use your phone. I need to make flight arrangements.” When Cal protested that he had only cash and not a lot of that, Alex informed him of the flight vouchers the State Department had provided and that everything was taken care of. Cal confessed the only clothes he had were barely acceptable in the Caribbean, Alex told him that enough expense money had been provided to outfit him like a prince. Cal agreed only to accept enough to dress appropriately for the meeting they were to have in Ottawa.

Cal went about the business of returning the boat to its owner. Alex and Guy sat in the sun a short while longer. Smitty volunteered to take them to the airport. When Smitty pulled up in a battered pickup truck, Guy commented about the contrast to the limousine Henri had provided. Cal, Alex and Guy climbed into the back and were driven to the airport. At the airport, Alex presented the flight vouchers to an airline official and they were again whisked to a reserved waiting area until their flight home.

During the flight, Cal turned to Alex. “It might be too late, but I don’t have a place to stay.”

Alex replied, “I assumed you’d stay with us. We have an apartment in the city with a guest room. I think it will be the most discrete arrangement.”

Guy chimed in, “We better keep you out of sight until we get things finalized in Ottawa. You must be more than ready to get back into things, but we’ve all got a lot at stake.”

Cal agreed, he mostly didn’t want to impose or be burden.

They arrived back at Alex’s apartment and set up Cal in the guest room. Alex and Guy tried to get back to their normal routine for the next two weeks. It was hard with all the adventures they had recently experienced and knowing of the trip to come. Cal spent his days working on his papers with a trip out to a men’s clothing store for a small spree.

The State Department had made their hotel arrangements and sent a packet to Alex. Cal called Kenny and told him where they would be staying and that a room had been reserved for them.

End of Chapter 9
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..