Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 3,505 Words
  • 776 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tangled Web - A Mystery - 7. Chapter 7 - The Hearing

Chapter 7 - The Hearing

On Wednesday, Alex was in a meeting with senior members of the financial institution where he worked. He had provided important research to a report the chief economist was presenting. His role was to sit quietly unless some exacting point of the analysis required further clarification. The chief economist, while a brilliant man, fell short in the area of public speaking. Alex found his mind wandering during the lengthy presentation. He admired the richly paneled walls of the conference room. He wondered how large a tree had been sacrificed for the massive conference table. He speculated that it had been a very long time since the somewhat clouded windows had been cleaned.

The conference room door partially opened and the Chairman’s assistant squeezed through. The chief economist ceased droning. All eyes went to the intruder. The assistant hurried to Alex saying. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but there is an urgent delivery.” Alex wished he could disappear into the carpet. The door was pushed wide and two large men in ill fitting suits barged into the room calling Alex’s name. The rest of the meeting attendants moved away from Alex, pointing in his direction. They looked terrified.

“You got ID?” Alex produced his corporate identity card and driver’s license. “Sign here.” The man indicated a line on a receipt for him to sign. “Here you go.” He handed Alex a large white envelope with an elaborate seal. The men turned and left the room. The assistant scurried behind them, closing the door.

Alex stared at the envelope. The man sitting next to him said, “That’s a Congressional seal. I don’t know what you did, kid, but I’d open it if I were you.”

“Excuse me ladies and gentlemen. I’ll just step outside,” Alex said as he left the room.

There was general relief around the room and jokes about being subpoenaed, something all too common among corporate executives these days.

He hurried into an empty adjacent conference room and opened the envelope. It was from a Congressman directing him to be at the Federal Office Building in New York on Thursday at 10 AM. It included an official pass for entry to the building and directions to a room.

Alex’s boss came looking for him. “Are you in any kind of trouble, Alex? Or more likely are we in any trouble. I hope you didn’t go ‘State’s Evidence’ on us. Heh, heh,” he added nervously.

Alex assured him that he had not and that while he had become involved in a college Alumni activity recently, he was surprised to receive something from a Congressman, too. He promised to inform his boss about things when he understood things better.

“I’ll take you at your word, for now,” intoned his boss. “You sure got noticed in there,” indicating the conference room where the presentation was being held. “I’ll try to contain their conjectures and tell them to relax. In any case, your stock just went up fifty points. I’ll bet the chief economist takes you everywhere with him now. Let me know if I can help and remember me when you move up to the board.” Alex’s boss was a good man. Alex felt fortunate to work with him.

A summons from a Congressman? This had to be a result of Henri’s efforts. He wished it had been more subtle.

***

Alex had begun preparations for hosting Thibaud and Henri for dinner when Guy came home. Guy found Alex in the kitchen and rushed to embrace him. After a long, warm ‘missed you’ kiss they said in unison, “Guess what happened to me today.”

Alex held up the envelope he had received. Guy opened his brief case and withdrew a matching envelope. Alex asked, “Where were you when they delivered it?”

“In court. I was nearly held in contempt when those goons busted into a closed hearing and handed this to me. The judge was pissed until he found out they were Federal Marshalls. He shut up until they left the room. Then he laid into me. I was only there to assist the DA. After the court session the DA dragged me out and laid into me, too. Of course they leaped to the conclusion that I was caught doing something bad. Borrowing those files about your college weighed on my mind like a brick. Mostly, I think the DA and the judge were afraid they’d been found out in something.”

Alex related his own story of receiving the envelope at an awkward moment.

They had only finished preparing for their guests when they heard the distinctive noise of the elevator and a knock at the door. Thibaud and Henri had arrived. Guy had suggested that they would be pleased to return a portion of the hospitality they had received in France and that they could talk more freely in the apartment than in a restaurant. Alex and Guy had hurriedly prepared as good a meal as their combined, albeit limited, culinary skills would allow. Wine breathed on the sideboard and hors d’oeuvres were ready to be served when Thibaud and Henri arrived. Henri limped into the room.

“Thibaud, you are a beast” Alex reprimanded.

“Oh, no, it was not Thibaud,” Henri responded with alarm. “I stupidly fell off a curb and twisted my ankle. I have gotten fully used to Thibaud’s relentless loving, though I may sit a little more upright.”

Thibaud huffed. “Wine.”

“Forgive me Thibaud,” Alex pleaded offering a glass of wine.

“I shall consider it. Are those hors d’oeuvres? I am famished. After two days of avoiding me, I finally caught Henri this afternoon.”

“By avoiding he means that he only got to fuck me three times a night.”

“But the days are long when you are working all the time and I am here in this city of delights but you will not let me go out and sample them.”

“Having sex with all of France is not enough for you. You must conquer the States, as well? But you must have made significant inroads when you were here as a student.”

Thibaud ignored him and ate and drank greedily.

“There is all I have ever loved,” Henri quoted Hugo, gesturing toward Thibaud.

“Love you, too, mon cher” Thibaud responded with his mouth full of food.

“Such elegance.”

Alex and Guy said together, “Henri. Did you plan those deliveries?”

Henri looked perplexed. “Deliveries? I do not understand.”

Alex explained about the Congressional envelopes they had received.

“That ass. I urge all possible discretion and he sends an official state summons. He is a good friend, but what an ass.”

“I say the same about you, too mon cher.” Thibaud was incorrigible.

Henri ignored Thibaud and began to explain his activities since they had parted ways on Saturday night. “I spoke to a select colleague in France, an expert in Middle Eastern affairs. He was not at all surprised to hear of international meddling by the foreign country in question. He informed me that the situation in that country was in turmoil, likely to collapse. The king is dying. His son, Samir’s father, is seen as a weak man and himself not in good health. The king’s second son is involved with the most reactionary forces in the country and region and is the head of the country’s police. He had been implicated directly in many episodes of cruelty and violence in his own country and abroad. The West has largely ignored these events beyond mild protests fearing that an uprising in the country could jeopardize exports, particularly oil. And yet you Americans drive such large automobiles. Imbeciles. My colleague stressed the critical nature of the times. With this consideration, I knew I could not go through the normal diplomatic channels. While discreet, they are also deliberate. I chose to act quickly.

“My dealings have brought me into contact with a distinguished Congressman from New York. He is also chairman of a Middle East subcommittee. I have had the opportunity to be of service to the Congressman over the years in other matters of great delicacy, official and personal. He was willing to take my call. I had only begun to outline the details of this affair when he stopped me. He asked what I needed. I told him I needed a Federal level judge, support from a high level in the State Department, comparable support from the Canadian Office of Foreign Relations, the Attorney General of New York, a secure location to meet and invitations for you two. I see that these have been obtained.”

“You won’t be there?” Alex asked nervously.

“For now, it is important that no French official, no matter how minor, be involved,” demurred Henri. “There is a rumor that France is trying to negotiate peace between the current government and the opposition, no doubt to protect France’s own interests in the region, but that is diplomacy. And so, mes amis, it is up to you to present all you have learned and persuade the various participants that it is in the best interest of their own constituencies and subsequently other nations and hopefully the individuals involved to act as you desire. I am confident you will prevail. Now, there is a lovely dinner I am smelling. May we eat?”

The dinner was consumed with good humor among the party, the wine helped. Thibaud was naughty, Henri was arch, Alex was playful, and Guy looked worried. Fed and with enough wine, Thibaud would not be suppressed much longer. The agreed to meet the next evening to review what would transpire the next day. Alex escorted them to the street and into a cab, then returned to see Guy sitting in the living room, fretting.

“What is it, lover?” Alex asked.

“It just hit me what we’re walking into. I’m just a nobody Assistant DA. I’ll be presenting to a member of the US Congress, a Federal judge, senior members of the diplomatic corps of two countries and the Attorney General.”

“And I can’t imagine anyone better to do it.”

“I appreciate your love, but I’m still scared.”

“Is there something I can do to relax you?”

“I suppose you could try something.”

Alex began to rub Guy’s shoulders.

“That’s a start.”

“Perhaps if we moved to the bedroom, I’d be able to massage more of you.”

“I’m feeling more relaxed already.”

“I promise, you’ll be very, very relaxed before I’m done with you.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too. How does this feel?”

“Oooh, uh, ooh.”

“I’ll take those as happy sounds.”

“Uh huh. Oh god...”

***

Alex awoke with a jolt. There was only forty-five minutes before the meeting and they were still in bed. What had started as a general body massage had become an all night fuck session, Alex and Guy changing roles and positions many times through the night. Sometime in the early morning they had passed out. Guy was still firmly stuffed into Alex’s ass. Alex felt great all over, but knew they had to hit the showers and dash to make the meeting. Guy didn’t have time to be nervous anymore.

They reached the Federal Building in lower Manhattan with a few minutes to spare. The security line was not too long, though they had to work hard to suppress their impatience. A guard escorted them to the elevators, to the floor and meeting room. The room contained only chairs and a conference table. The walls were blank, there were no windows, the floor bare wood. Besides the door to the hallway through which they entered, there was a door at either end of the room. The deathly silence indicated that the room was soundproofed. When Alex spoke, his words were muffled. “So, what next?”

As if on queue, one of the doors at the end of the room opened. A large, bluff man, both recognized from many appearances on political shows blustered into the room. He shook their hands, but indicated they should be silent with a finger against his lips. He winked to be friendly. The other door opened and three men and one woman filed in and took places around the table.

The end of the table was taken by an elderly white haired gentleman, clearly his accustomed place in meetings. “Well Congressman, it’s your show.”

“Madam, gentlemen, thank you for attending on such short notice,” the Congressman began. “For reasons of plausible deniability, I will allow these two gentlemen,” indicating Alex and Guy, “to explain this matter further. I have it from a reliable source that the issue to be brought before you is of vital interest and that you would do well to consider all possible assistance you can bring to bear. And since I was never here, I will say good morning.” He patted Alex and Guy on the shoulders and left the room.

The judge adjusted his eyeglasses on his nose. “This is an informal hearing of what I understand is a most sensitive issue of vital state importance. In that it is ‘unofficial’ we will dispense with any record of the proceedings. There will be no note taking.” This to Guy who immediately put his pen and pad away. “I understand one of you is an officer of the court.”

“Yes, your honor, I am an assistant DA for the City of New York.” Guy replied.

“Are you credentialed to speak before the Federal bench?”

“No.”

“Just a moment.” The judge rose and opened the door to the hallway. Alex could see two heavily armed guards outside the door. “Guard, could you ask the Clerk of the Court to come in, please.”

A few minutes passed in silence before knock at the door. a slight man entered the room. “Your honor.”

“Will you see to it that Council,” he indicated Guy, “is fully credentialed to present in my court.” Guy produced papers from his brief case and handed them to the Clerk. “We needn’t wait for the paperwork to be cleared, I am confident it will be speedily concluded.” The Clerk nodded and disappeared. Guy was wide-eyed.

“Gentlemen, tell us what you know.”

Guy laid out the case as they had come to understand it. Samir, in line to the throne of a Middle Eastern country, as a student some five years before, had either been kidnapped or murdered. Calvin Stephenson was alleged to have kidnapped or murdered him, pending finding a body and had warrants for his arrest in the State of New York in his name. Stuart Marcus had been murdered, which was established by the coroner, when he was an important witness, a murder also ascribed to Calvin Stephenson. Calvin Stephenson had also fled the country.

It was their contention that Samir had fled the country for fear of his life, that Calvin Stephenson had in fact acted to save Samir by serving as a go between, facilitating messages sent to Samir by his mother to warn him of a plot against his life. Further the plot included placing blame for Samir’s disappearance and possible murder on Calvin Stephenson. The actual perpetrators of the crime were agents of the government in question acting beyond their authority. Further, Stuart Marcus was also murdered by agents of that government. Samir is alive, though measures to prove that had not yet been taken. Calvin Stephenson remained in hiding, fearing action by agents of the government or prosecution of the warrants against him, of which he was innocent. Mr. Stephenson was in a personal relationship with Mr. Marcus and is seen as having suffered the loss of a partner. These crimes had been aided by a Mr. Worthington, president of the college in question.

The judge rubbed his temples. “Since I have no jurisdiction in these matters, domestic or international, I conclude that I have been invited here to facilitate these proceedings. I will be happy to advise on points of law, but I suspect our learned council is well prepared to do so. Mr. Secretary, Madam Ambassador, what do you think?”

“The State Department has information consistent with the contentions as presented. Further, Mr. Worthington has been under surveillance for suspected conflicts of interest with foreign governments. Is this matter in any way related to the death of the first son of this family?”

“We believe it is directly related and parallel. Calvin Stephenson, while a suspect of this crime, was also involved there. He had a romantic and physical relationship with Rakesh, the older brother which he believes precipitated his murder.”

“That too is consistent with our information. The state of affairs of that government are in question at this time. The current king is near death. His first son will likely not live to take the throne. If the next in line is dead, then succession passes to the king’s second son. The Department of State does not see this as favorable to the United States, the region, or their own citizens. Oppression and corruption are the feared consequences. An opposition movement is a growing rival for control, but their ability to establish a successful government is in question. It is in the interests of the United States and its allies to seek a more stable transition. How can we help?”

“We would like to repatriate Calvin Stephenson and have charges dropped against him. We would further like to set up a meeting between Mr. Stephenson, Samir, and a friendly representative of the foreign government. Since it is thought that Samir now resides in Canada, we seek their assistance in the matter.”

The judge looked over his glasses at the Attorney General. “Well?”

“You give me your assurance Mr. Secretary that Stephenson did not commit these murders.”

“That the parties suggested as perpetrators of these crimes are consistent with our information and are in a pattern with other known crimes and that Mr. Stephenson has no connection with these crimes and was personally injured by the murder of Mr. Marcus, yes, we give our assurance. The United States will provide credentials for the repatriation of Mr. Stephenson.”

“The State of New York withdraws the warrants and welcomes Mr. Stephenson.”

“Madam Ambassador?”

“Canada will honor the credentials of the United States for Mr. Stephenson and will gladly host a diplomatic meeting among the parties. I suggest that a scheduled conference in Ottawa in three weeks time will serve as an inconspicuous occasion to bring the parties together. You gentlemen,” indicating Alex and Guy, “will be in attendance, I presume. There may be matters requiring further explanation.”

“The United States will require assistance in delivering the credentials to Mr. Stephenson. In the interests of continued discretion, but not presuming any complicity, is that a service we can entrust to you gentlemen?”

Alex and Guy nodded yes.

“Does that conclude matters satisfactorily, Councilor?” intoned the judge.

Guy replied, “Yes, your honor.”

“And I have the assurances of the various jurisdictions present that they will act as they have stated?” Nods affirmed this assurance. “Then, there being no crime nor violation brought before me, and the interests of all have been advanced, I declare this hearing closed. Thank you gentlemen for your service to your country, its allies, innocent people and your friends. You are all aware that this hearing never occurred.” This last a statement, not a question.

***

The officials filed back through the door through which they entered. Alex and Guy were still blinking at each other when the hall door opened and the guard beckoned them to follow him. He escorted them out the front door.

“That’s it? It’s all over?”

“You did it Alex. Yeah, I did the talking today, but you did it. You listened, you put it together, you changed the world today. I am so proud to be with you.”

“Now what do we do? I can’t go to work after that.”

“The DA told me to take whatever time I needed. This Congressional thing really shook him up. Let’s go home. It’s early, but I need a drink.”

They had been home only a short while, but somehow managed to be almost naked when their doorbell rang. The two large men who had delivered their summonses stood on the threshold holding out a bulky envelope eyeing their state of undress. One of the men winked as Guy took the envelope. They turned and left. Guy closed the door. Guy opened it to find the promised repatriation papers for Cal, eight airline ticket vouchers assignable to any destination, and a significant amount of cash. It would take a while to count it.

“Expense money?” Alex conjectured.

“It’s got to be cheaper than official channels, and much more discrete. I think this is fiscal belt tightening. When do we go?”

“I’ll look up some flights. I think the first available, don’t you?”

“Just leave us enough time to finish what we had started. I think I was just about here.” Guy took Alex into his arms and what began with a kiss never really ended.

End of Chapter 7
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The meeting with the government people went so smoothly that I'm reminded that

this is fiction, of course.

Link to comment
On 06/10/2014 04:52 AM, Stephen said:
The meeting with the government people went so smoothly that I'm reminded that

this is fiction, of course.

I tried to emphasize the self interest of each government and department. Note that the entire business was handled away from standard procedures, and hence could be done 'smoothly.' I'm optimistic that such matters could actually be done.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..