Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 4,215 Words
  • 906 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tangled Web - A Mystery - 6. Chapter 6 - The Provost

Chapter 6 - The Provost

Alex called the college to schedule an appointment with Dr. Waldheim, the Provost. The receptionist informed him that Dr. Waldheim had retired two years previously. She asked if he would like to speak with the new Provost. He declined. The receptionist said that they might run into Dr. Waldheim during the Alumni weekend when he was being honored for his contribution to the college with the dedication of building to bear his name. The Alumni weekend was to occur in two weeks. Alex thanked her for her help.

“Guy, want to go see where I went to college and all this mystery went down?”

“I suppose dear one, to please you, I’d go to the ends of the earth. Did you get an appointment with the Provost?”

Alex replied that they would have to hope to run into Dr. Waldheim at the Alumni festivities.

“Do you think Thibaud and Henri could be talked into coming, too?”

“I imagine that Thibaud is cumming as we speak. We can only hope for Henri.”

“In any case, I’ll send an email and see what they say. It would be great to get together on the case. Some of it seems too delicate to do by phone or email.”

“That’s for sure.”

***

Henri responded on Thibaud’s behalf that since he had business in New York the week after the appointed weekend that he would be delighted to have Thibaud accompany him if only so he would have a remote chance of being the recipient of Thibaud’s attentions. Yes, they would be pleased to join Alex and Guy at the college Alumni events. Alex could almost read Thibaud’s smirking in the text of the message.

Alex began contacting hotels near the college, only to find that all had been sold out due to the visiting alumni. Just as he was pronouncing curses on everyone who had planned earlier than he had, an email popped up on his screen. It was a confirmation for a room at an exclusive bed and breakfast not far from the college. A note at the bottom of the email said, “pour vous, mes chers.” Thibaud? Henri more likely. “Merci, mes chers” back at you he thought.

Henri called to say that he had arranged for a limousine to take them all to the college. Alex had neglected to buy train tickets, so that saved him, yet again. Having Henri as a husband, or as near to that as Henri no doubt was, must be wonderful, he thought.

The limo pulled up in front of Alex’s apartment on Friday. He and Guy joined Henri and Thibaud. Champagne greeted them on their entry, making for a very pleasant drive to the college. Alex related all he had learned from Cal, being careful to protect Cal where he could. Henri looked serious as he heard about the interventions of the foreign government.

“In my capacity, I have access to some information on related matters. As you have already surmised, it is of the most delicate nature. Let me contact some of my associates here in the United States. They may know of discrete means to bring matters to a close. Such a maze of intrigue. However this turns out, Alex and Guy, you have performed admirably. I am most impressed. Why do I find it strange that you are friends of Thibaud? The only friends of Thibaud he has not ravished, I might add. Élas.

They arrived at the college and checked in with the Alumni association. There was to be a dinner honoring Dr. Waldheim that evening as the first stage of dedicating the administration building to be named for him. At the cocktail hour preceding the dinner, the four stood to one side of the crowd. Alex recognized a few faculty members and former classmates. Acknowledgements were confined to typical, awkward pleasantries. Dr. Waldheim entered and carefully worked the room, greeting the gathering as if host, not the honoree of the event.

From some yards away, Dr. Waldheim spotted Alex. He excused himself from the conversation he was engaged in and crossed to where Alex and the others were standing, except Thibaud who had wandered off, to Henri’s concern.

“Alex, how splendid to see you. I did not know you would be attending. You know we follow your career closely here at the college. You do us honor as an alumnus. And this,” indicating Guy, “is this someone special?”

Alex blushed. “Yes, Dr. Waldheim, this is Guy, and he is very special. He is my partner and my life. Guy is an assistant DA in the city.”

“My, my, yet another distinction for our friend Alex. My congratulations to you both.”

Thibaud, not one to miss attention of any sort, reappeared at Alex’s side.

“Thibaud? Yet another grand surprise. You are here with Alex? How extraordinary.” Dr. Waldheim effused amusement. “But then this must be, Henri. We were so very pleased to hear of your civil union. Our congratulations to you. Now for France and our own state to join civilization in honoring such relationships with the term ‘marriage.’”

“I am honored you remember us, Dr. Waldheim” Thibaud replied, putting his arm around Henri.

“You, Thibaud, would be the last one I’d forget. I imagine, Henri, you are presented some of the challenges I faced when Thibaud was a student here. My blessing to you sir.”

Henri simply laughed.

“Dr. Waldheim, do think it would be possible for us to meet at some time this weekend?” Alex asked.

“Of course, something can be arranged. You do know that I have retired and no longer represent the college in matters. I can direct you to the appropriate college resources, however.”

“We need to speak with you sir.”

“Hmmm, it begins to sound serious. Very well. I shall take advantage of your request as an excuse to retire early from tomorrow’s dedication ceremonies – which I find personally embarrassing. I suggest we meet at my home say at four? Thibaud should remember where it is, he spent a few nights with us.”

“Thank you Dr. Waldheim and congratulations to you. No one has done more for this college than you. This is a well-deserved honor.”

The dinner was the usual affair with ponderous speeches and uninspired cuisine. The four gratefully retired to the bed and breakfast. Thibaud teased about trading places, but was corralled by Henri and taken to bed. It had been a long day of travel and college events. Alex and Guy worried that Henri risked having to accommodate Thibaud’s pent up desires. Talking about it aroused their own. The antique bed creaked through the night.

***

Alex and Guy were met by silence as they entered the dining room for breakfast though the room was full of other guests. The host entered looking somewhat frayed, bringing orange juice and coffee. As he poured, a thumping and creaking noise could be heard, seemingly from the ceiling, walls, and stairway of the large, old house. Alex’s eye met Guy’s. They blushed. One of the other guests wryly observed, “It’s been a very musical night.”

“These young spirits seem to run high” observed an elderly lady.

“Run a marathon, you mean” another wit contributed.

The assembled group giggled. Alex and Guy continued to blush.

The elderly lady and her husband rose and returned to their room.

Part way through the eggs and bacon, Henri entered the room, dressed with distinction. He greeted Alex and Guy affectionately and took a seat. Some minutes later, Thibaud entered, wearing only an elaborate dressing gown.

Café, s’il vous plait.”

“Here is our host with coffee” Alex replied.

“Has someone died?” Thibaud asked in the embarrassed silence.

“This is an old house, sounds travel” Guy informed Thibaud.

As if on cue, some mild creaking could be heard from the ceiling.

“Oh, I see” said a somewhat chastened Thibaud. “Not much sleep last night, I suppose.”

“No” replied another guest dryly.

The host came in showing his exasperation. “Who is upstairs now?” He scanned the table, trying to place each of his guests. “Oh my, good for them.”

The other guests realized that only the elderly couple was not in the dining room. A good natured laugh rose from all.

“I hope I’m still at it at their age.”

“They did seem so much in love.”

“Do you think they’re married, or running out on their spouses?”

“What if their parents find out?”

The general good nature of the people came through which made for a pleasant breakfast.

Henri had emptied the delicate china coffee cup for a third time. “Monsieur, do you have, perhaps a larger cup. It would save you trips and answer my desperate need.”

“I would have thought any needs you had have been answered many times” a guest volunteered.

“And that is why I need a bigger cup of coffee” Henri replied tartly. They all laughed again.

***

Alex, Guy, Thibaud, and Henri attended a few Alumni events and the dedication ceremony for Waldheim Hall. Dr. Waldheim’s remarks were modest and recognized the contributions of the entire community.

After the ceremony, the four walked to Dr. Waldheim’s house, being led by the somewhat repressed Thibaud. “How came you to spend night’s with Dr. Waldheim” Guy asked.

“Yes, Thibaud, I am very interested to hear about this. I have a high opinion of Dr. Waldheim and I know you too well” Henri pressed.

“As you can see from where we are now standing, the college is a few blocks behind us, the large house with the porch is Dr. Waldheim’s, and as Alex will recall, the bar where most of the college students spent time is about the same distance beyond” Alex explained.

“What does this have to do with spending the night with Dr. Waldheim?” Henri demanded.

“If you recall, mon cher, Dr. Waldheim said I spent the night at their home. I am afraid in moments of youthful excess the distance from the bar to the dorm, which is quite short at this time of day, grows significantly longer, such that finding oneself on Dr. Waldheim’s lawn or more fortunately on his parlor divan is not that unusual” Thibaud confessed.

“You had a much better time in college than I did,” Alex envied.

“Thibaud has had a much better time everywhere,” Henri concluded.

Dr. Waldheim greeted them from the porch, having seen their approach. “Come in, gentlemen, come in. We’ll sit in my study,” this to a woman they presumed to be his wife. “My wife expresses her apologies for not joining us. Frankly, I think the talk of men bores her. Now I have a fairly complete bar, but at this time of day, I find a Manhattan fits the bill. I prefer rye whiskey and only enough sweet vermouth for flavor.” Everyone agreed that a Manhattan was an admirable choice. “There now, everyone has a drink.”

“To Dr. Waldheim, now Provost Emeritus” Alex toasted.

“Thank you. I’d rather ‘to friends and their lovers’” Dr. Waldheim was sentimental. Kisses between the lovers followed the toast.

“Now what is this serious business you need to discuss with me?” Dr. Waldheim asked.

“I hate to bring back what must be difficult memories for you, Dr. Waldheim, but we need to ask some questions about the terrible events of my senior year” Alex began. Dr. Waldheim nodded thoughtfully. “By a series of coincidences, I have come to learn a good deal about those events. It is my hope that what you can tell us will enable us to bring those matters to a close for the benefit of all.”

Dr. Waldheim looked very weary. “Those days have haunted me ever since. I lost, not only a friend, but a devoted protector of the college. That nothing has ever come to light about the student Samir or about Professor Stephenson has long troubled me. It hastened my retirement, which I fear has left my duty to the college unfulfilled. I will share whatever I know if it will help. What have you learned?”

“Stuart Marcus was murdered” Alex said softly.

Dr. Waldheim set his glass down carefully, then lowered his face into his hands. Alex crossed the space and put his arm around Dr. Waldheim’s drooping shoulders, remembering the comfort he had received from Dr. Waldheim long ago.

“The circumstances around Stuart’s death were so peculiar, I have long suspected he was murdered. The FBI would tell me nothing. Yet I knew in my heart. Do you know by whom?”

“Not yet, but I think we are close” Guy spoke up. “It may hinge on what you are able to tell us.”

“There’s more” Alex said. “I have met with Cal Stephenson and have every reason to believe that Samir is alive and well.”

“Thank God for that. I have long born the guilt of putting Professor Stephenson in harm’s way by bringing him here. I have also felt that I have failed in my primary responsibility of safeguarding the students, allowing Samir to be kidnapped and until this moment, I feared murdered.”

“You don’t suspect Stephenson of being complicit in Stuart Marcus’s death?” probed Guy.

“Don’t be absurd” retorted Dr. Waldheim. “Professor Stephenson, Cal, could never harm Stuart. I would doubt my own eyes if I had witnessed it before suspecting him. I’m sure he’s no saint, but Cal gave Stuart life, he could not take it away.

“There was someone else who also had opportunity. We need to determine how that person could have found out that Marcus was being taken to the hospital for an examination. By his own admission, Stephenson overheard the FBI agent on the phone and followed them to the hospital. The FBI was certainly informed. And you, Dr. Waldheim, you also knew of the FBI’s intentions for Marcus.”

“Me? Yes, I was there when Stuart told them that he still held the result of their intimacy in his body. And I did hear of the FBI’s intention to acquire the DNA sample. Surely you don’t suggest that I would harm Stuart?”

“No, not you. Did you speak to anyone else about the matter? It would have had to have been immediately thereafter” Guy pressed.

Dr. Waldheim was thoughtful, running over the events of the day in his mind. He looked up, shock on his face. “I did tell someone, minutes later. I told Mr. Worthington, the college president. He is the college president, I had no choice.”

Alex and Guy’s eyes clicked. “Are you aware of any interaction between Worthington and any foreign governments?”

“He was very active in many spheres in his capacity as chief fund raiser for the college. He often mentioned his overseas connections, though the results of his efforts paled when compared to his announced expectations. In November, a few weeks before that awful day, Stuart came to me with concerns about the various endowment accounts under the purview of the president’s office. I urged caution and circumspection on the matter, suggesting he collect more data and prepare a report. Perhaps Mr. Worthington had made an error which could be readily explained. I did mention to Mr. Worthington that Stuart had observed some irregularity and that he, Mr. Worthington, should verify his accounts. I see now that I should have trusted Stuart’s initial findings.

“Among Stuart’s virtues, of which I readily acknowledge many, was that he was a fine accountant. The books of a college are enormously complex, more akin to running a city than a business, with responsibility for housing, real estate, thousands of student accounts, departments, physical plant, and on and on. Stuart was master of that domain. It was incredible to watch him when the financials were being reviewed. If any account was pennies off, he seemed to instinctually know where the error hid amongst all the figures. I’m afraid he let us all get very lazy about the money. The college has struggled to find an adequate replacement.

“But an error in record keeping is a trivial reason to spur a murder. Further, I myself was with the Mr. Worthington around when Stuart must have died.”

“When did Worthington join the college as president.”

“Hmmm, it would have been about seven years ago.”

“About two years before the incident in question” Cal confirmed.

“Yes.”

“And Samir was in his fourth year then?”

“Yes, he would have graduated in the Spring.”

“Samir took up on some kind of relationship with someone off campus. Knowing when that occurred would be helpful in trying to piece this together. Without access to Samir, I suppose no one else would know.” Alex pondered.

“I would know” responded Dr. Waldheim. “Of course, I tried to know all my students. Some turned up on my lawn,” he fixed Thibaud with a stare, then a smile. “When Samir came to us, his embassy requested that we keep tabs on him. He rarely left campus that I didn’t know about it. When he began his off campus visits, I met with the Chancellor of the State University to review where this budding relationship was going. Since it seemed to be typical of young adults and doing no harm, I kept tabs, but also kept my distance.”

“That information did not appear in the FBI report.”

“A father keeps his son’s secrets. It seemed irrelevant.”

“When did the relationship begin?”

“At the end of Samir’s freshman year.”

“About three month’s before Worthington became president.”

“Yes, that’s right. Mr. Worthington came highly recommended and was supported by several board members. Hmmm. Several board members with significant interests in international oil.”

“Cal Stephenson, he says he was surprised that you contacted him about the opening in the Economics Department. He had not been actively looking for an opportunity in his field.”

“Well I’ll be damned. Worthington brought me his curriculum vitae and made a fair fuss about hiring him quickly. We replaced half a dozen faculty that year, some very senior positions and Worthington disdained to be involved.”

“Worthington has international connections. Worthington was given his position at the urging of board members with international oil connections. Worthington has doubts cast about his management of college accounts. Worthington came here shortly after Samir begins a gay relationship.” Guy presented the pattern.

“Worthington knew at the critical time that Mr. Marcus was being taken to the hospital. Did he know what procedure they had planned?”

“I remember it distinctly, his expression of distaste as I told him of the circumstances. Yes, he knew about the DNA sampling” Dr. Waldheim relayed. “But murder? And he would have had to have an accomplice. The accomplice would have had to be on site already. That seems implausible.”

“They were already here,” Alex said.

“What did you say?”

“The accomplice or accomplices were already here. Something triggered Samir to run away. He tried to communicate that to Cal with those train tickets. Only Cal didn’t figure it out for a while.” Alex was pulling it together.

“Who was here?” the rest asked him.

“Agents of a foreign government bent on kidnapping Samir, just like they did his brother. And Worthington was mixed up with them. Worthington saw an opportunity to remove someone who suspected him of embezzlement.” Alex was alive.

“Or discredit him if he had left a report of some kind. That’s why they found that collection of semen in him, not just Cal’s.” Guy had caught up.

“And Cal was brought in to take the rap to provide cover for the secret police or agents from the foreign government. What better revenge than public humiliation followed by a possible death sentence for one or two murders. But how do we prove it?”

“Gentlemen, gentlemen you are going too fast for this old man,” Dr. Waldheim complained.

“You left me behind long ago,” admitted Thibaud.

“Some things do not so much have to be proved, as explained,” volunteered Henri. “Were this simple domestic murder and kidnapping, the state would have jurisdiction. That is clear. But if what Alex and Guy have supposed is true, we have foreign agents at work in the United States, a college president complicit in the crimes, a US citizen set up as the chief suspect, and an attempt to undermine a legitimate foreign government and ally of the United States.”

“And you can toss in Canada, too. Cal made his escape through Canada.”

“Further, a member of the French diplomatic corps has been asking questions at a very high level. Matters such as these are sometimes resolved away from the courts and in private. Diplomacy often must address issues too incendiary for conventional channels. Here again, I shall make some contacts and see how we might proceed. No word of this must get out. Simply having an idea of such a matter places not only Samir and Cal at risk, but also ourselves.”

After a long pause as the weight of Henri’s words sank in, Dr. Waldheim spoke. “Guy, I ask your help in preparing a case to take before the board concerning Worthington. He must be investigated and should his role in these matters be proved, he must be prosecuted at least for his malfeasance to the college.”

“I will certainly help you, Dr. Waldheim. It will require the assistance of an auditor or accountant,” Guy responded.

“The timing, gentlemen, is crucial,” explained Henri. “While Worthington must be brought to justice, this prosecution must wait until we have taken our chance to resolve the larger international issues.”

“Of course, you are right,” responded Dr. Waldheim.

A gentle knock was heard at the door. Mrs. Waldheim poked her head through. “Are these gentlemen staying for dinner?”

“Gentlemen? You are most welcome,” invited Dr. Waldheim.

Henri spoke up. “Madam, you are most kind to invite us, but if you will forgive us, I think it best if we decline your further generosity and return to the city tonight. Though I fear I shall long regret missing an evening in your company, Madam.” He kissed her hand.

She said only, “Oh my,” and retreated closing the door behind her.

“By George,” exclaimed Dr. Waldheim. “My wife has been a leading feminist for forty years. That’s the first time I’ve ever seen her at a loss for words and I believe she was blushing. That Gallic charm I suppose.” Thibaud looked a little miffed. “Oh I beg your pardon, Thibaud. I had forgotten that you are, for all intents and purposes, married. Please forgive an old man who is still coming to terms with a changing world, changing for the better I heartily agree.”

“We have much to do and the sooner done the better and safer for us all,” Henri reminded them. “Please forgive our departure, Dr. Waldheim.”

Alex spoke up. “Dr. Waldheim, what you’ve told us today has answered almost all the questions we had outstanding. I’m hopeful, with Henri’s help, we bring matters to a close. Of course, we’ll keep you informed.”

“And we can follow up on how to address the situation with Worthington,” Guy offered.

“Very well then. Take care, this seems to be a matter fraught with danger. I thank you for the blessed knowledge that for two whose fate I feared the worst are alive and that there is hope for a happy conclusion. Farewell.” Dr. Waldheim stood on his porch and watched as they walked back to the college.

“Can we go back to the room?” Thibaud looked a little flushed. “It’s been a long time.”

“Alas, my dear one, we must return to the city immediately. I must seek the advice and perhaps protection of those greater than I. I will fear for all of our safety until this matter is concluded.” Henri looked worried.

“Not even once?”

“I also think that it would be merciful to the other guests were we to leave them in peace tonight. I also believe that our hotel in New York is significantly more sound proof. So, until we are alone, you must content yourself with thoughts of what is to come.”

“And who is to cum” snickered Alex.

They got into the waiting limousine and, after a short stop at the B&B to retrieve their belongings and say goodbye to a relieved host, returned to the city.

When they arrived outside Alex’s apartment, Henri suggested they get together on Wednesday. He thought that would be enough time to have made contact with various authorities and have next steps. They all kissed goodbye.

Back in their apartment, Guy held onto Alex. “This is more dangerous than I ever imagined. I’m sorry I got that case file and showed you.”

“Guy, it even sounds stupid to me as I say it, but this feels like fate. If you hadn’t been complaining about witnesses, if I hadn’t seen what I did back in college, if the file wasn’t available, if you didn’t know Thibaud, and on and on, we might be safer, but there’s a lot of people involved in this who would have no chance to live their lives safely. We’ve got to see this through.”

“I know and I’m proud of you. I am scared for you, though. Now let’s go to bed. I’ve missed you terribly.”

“Must be the Thibaud influence.” He kissed Guy and pushed him into the bedroom.

End of Chapter 6
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..