Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 573 Words
  • 7,904 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bad Stereotypes - 4. Wednesday 19th January 2003

Logan was my best friend. We spent every minute of every day together when we weren’t needed inside for dinner, and he hung out at my house or I went to his and we rode our bikes all over the neighbourhood and through the fields. Even in the winter, a bike is an eight year old boy’s greatest ally.

We cycled out to the woods that day before it snowed, the ground hard as iron and cold as ice, frost trimming all the branches bare of leaves, the sky a thick blanket of white. The air felt flat as we pedalled like it was a race, driving our bikes over the rutted tracks towards the old quarry. Logan shouted ahead into the empty space, his voice echoing around into the chalk, and we skidded, dumped our bikes and were clambering over the boulders in moments.

Our games were never really organised, we just ran about, played impromptu rounds of tag and chase, climbed things, scuffed our jeans and pretended that we were kings of our own little world. Eventually we both ended up flat on our back in the little hollow by the mouth of the quarry, looking up at the white scar jagged into the face of the hill.

“Bay?”

“Uh huh.” I tilted my head, my skull bumping softly against Logan’s, his blond locks tangling with my black.

“I’m moving away.”

“What?” I sat bolt upright to look at him in shock, “What? When? Where?” Our class teacher was a fan of the ‘w’ questions, “Why?”

“The moving van is coming to get our stuff tomorrow morning. Dad got a new job in London.”

“But…” I was eight, I had no frame of reference for what I wanted to say. I was losing my best friend.

Logan turned his face to look at me, both of us lying on the chalk and scrub grass, or eyes inches away from each other. He gulped.

“I’m going to miss you Bay.”

“I’m going to miss you too.”

“I’ll write though, we can call each other.”

But I knew even then, that it wasn’t the same.

We pushed our bikes back home, walking together joined by the soft clicking of the spokes, the hum of narrow tires. We bumped shoulders, chatted softly, but every touch felt like the universe was ending. I walked Logan to his house, hating the idea that in a week, a new family would live there, some other boy in the room where we had watched TV, played cowboys and Indians, where I had beaten Logan at every one of his computer games and he’d only laughed good naturedly. Logan leant his bike against the wall and turned, then flung his arms around me, a hug so tight and unexpected I could barely breathe.

“You’re my best friend Bay. I’ll miss you.”

“I…” I wanted to tell him that I loved him, although I had no idea what that meant. I wanted to tell him that I needed him not to go. I hugged him back, and we were both crying when we parted.

I cycled home in tears, moped around the house for days. Logan called, just once, and we wrote each other one letter each, barely more than ten lines. The world moves quickly for an eight year old boy with new friends to make.

Sometimes, usually at night, I thought of Logan, and I hurt.

Copyright © 2013 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I seriously, seriously love your structure. Everything so far has been excellent. You know you've got it bad when you're spamming the refresh button just to see if an update has come through. Keep it up!

Link to comment

Of course now in 2013, there's Facebook and such. I bet if Bay wanted to, he could find Logan again. :) Just sayin' =)

Link to comment
On 05/27/2013 10:55 AM, Lisa said:
Of course now in 2013, there's Facebook and such. I bet if Bay wanted to, he could find Logan again. :) Just sayin' =)
and yet there will be other distractions...
Link to comment
On 05/27/2013 09:49 AM, said:
I seriously, seriously love your structure. Everything so far has been excellent. You know you've got it bad when you're spamming the refresh button just to see if an update has come through. Keep it up!
Awww! thanks! you get one chapter a day, just like Cia likes the updates to be. sorry they are so short....
Link to comment

Poor Bay. Kiddos are resilent though. I am sure he made another best friend. Sweet chapter :P

Link to comment
On 05/29/2013 11:48 PM, joann414 said:
Poor Bay. Kiddos are resilent though. I am sure he made another best friend. Sweet chapter :P
aww, glad you approve. he makes some interesting friends.
Link to comment

Good flick back again Sasha. Short, sharp and painful.

Love that line about a bike being so important to an 8 year old. OMG I remember how essential my bike was to me back in those days. :D

Jo is right, kids are resilient, but friendships like those never really die. They fade, they pass into oblivion, but we carry those memories for a life time. Every single one of us can remember that first friend we lost, and how much it pained to loose em.

Nice work.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..