Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 1,302 Words
  • 2,681 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In Flames - 14. Chapter 14

Atoki felt wobbly and faint, and didn’t really pay attention to where he was. When Kiorl scooped him up, he went sort of floppy, and let his head settle on the big panther’s chest. He didn’t care where they went, just that it was away from Sathriel and the basement. Away from all the things that reminded him of Aris. Away from the threat of rape and death. When he was shifted from Kiorl’s arms to a soft couch with slightly sagging upholstery, Atoki rubbed his eyes and sat up.

Kiorl was pacing in tight, angry circles. His usually messy Mohawk was a proper mess, the big demon running his hands through it even as his tail lashed back and forth. He snarled at nothing. The Prince had settled into a deep winged arm chair, pale fingers gripping the armrests softly, a whole figure of repose and calm.

“What the fuck Nassau?” Kiorl practically roared, “You called him out over this?” He made a wild gesture to himself and Atoki, “You could have gotten us all killed. Like really killed! Fuck that, you could have destroyed the universe!”

“It’s fine Kiorl.” Nassau shook his head gently and turned to Atoki, “My oldest friend has an issue with thanking people. Are you alright?”

“Y-y-yes.” Atoki tried to smile, but he was still shaking, and shaken.

“Sod you and your hero complex Nas!” Kiorl’s anger finally ran out of pacing energy, and he sagged visibly, “Apart from Them, he’s the most powerful single being on the planet, you could have destroyed us all.”

Atoki was just getting up the nerve to ask who ‘Them’ were, when Nassau spoke.

“Actually, he’s not. I can beat him.”

Kiorl made a dismissive noise, and then waved his hand, summoning new clothes, a tray of filled goblets and a dish of something sticky that smelt like honey and looked like Turkish delight.

“That’s impossible, he made you.” Kiorl took a glass and handed another to Atoki, settling down beside him, “It’s impossible for any creature to create another more powerful than itself.”

Atoki sipped the drink. It was wine, but the flavour was deeply complex, as though someone had shown the vines pornography before the fruit was matured.

“Father made me, and my two brothers, and he split all the power he could between us. That way, no two could beat him, and he sort of banked on us never ganging up on him.”

“Did you?” Atoki found that the wine made him bold, and his nerves were suddenly less raw.

“No. I banished each of my brothers and took their power.” Nassau smiled softly at Atoki’s shocked expression, “It’s a very long story young one, and they were not nice people.”

“Nathaneal was certainly not.” Kiorl shared a look with his friend which Atoki couldn’t interpret. “Nassau’s eldest brother was like his father, but distilled. Worse.”

“Worse?” Atoki shuddered. How anyone could be worse than the Devil himself?

“Kiorl, let him be. He’s not going to cope. Let it go.”

“I still don’t get it Nas.” Atoki put down his glass, feeling suddenly sleepy now as the conversation went away from him, “You absorbed their powers. That should only make you as powerful as him, not more.”

Whatever Nassau said in response, Atoki didn’t hear him. The world drifted away into grey clouds, soft as ashes, and Atoki wanted nothing more than to be back in his room with his demon.

*

Kiorl waved a hand to his glass and it refilled slowly, as though being poured from an invisible jug. He should have known that asking Nassau these questions was going to lead them back down the dangerous route to Nassau’s past.

“So you mean because of Mattias, you’re stronger?”

“Yes.” Nassau’s eyes were unfocused, as though he was seeing into the past, “Father doesn’t know. He believes that I am just as strong as him, if one of us would destroy the other, we’d both be destroyed, and probably much of hell along with us. When Mattias died, because he loved me, I received his power.”

“He wasn’t that strong.” Kiorl thought back to the man, human but with supernatural tendencies, who had dared to love the Prince of Hell. Mattias had brought Nassau back from the brink of ruin, helped him to defeat his brothers, and allowed him to regain his feathers, the respect of his father. Mattias had been the perfect consort. Kiorl had never actually gotten on with him, but it had been nice in those years, to see Nassau happy.

“But it was enough.” Nassau gave a soft smile, “If I kill my father, it will nearly destroy me, but I’ll still live. You’d be stronger than me.”

Kiorl scoffed.

“That would not be a good world to live in. The riots alone…”

“Much better then to let him think we are equal.” Nassau began to braid his long hair over his shoulder, “Why did you take him to Sathriel? What he wanted could never have been good.”

The pair of demons watched the sleeping human for a moment, each trying to remember a time when they had slept that well or been that innocent.

“I left him.” Kiorl exhaled loudly, “I left your father.”

“I know.” Nassau didn’t seem in the least surprised, “You’ve stopped being around so much. People have noticed.”

“Is my position in danger?”

“No.” Nassau reassured his friend, and joined him in drinking, “What should we do with him do you think? I saw his lover this morning going off with Sitka up top. He seems to have settled in well.”

“They are good together.” Kiorl said quickly.

“Jealous?” Nassau arched a perfect eyebrow, “Do I detect that you might actually want a relationship old friend?”

Kiorl snarled in reply.

“Indeed. I have this feeling that he is more like Tobias than Jahke.”

“Yes. I doubt either of them would share.” Kiorl could see the pair standing at the foot of the stairs in the house. They probably didn’t even realise they were doing it. Vruuaska, feral and imposing, standing half wrapped around the boy, while Atoki stood with his hand between the beast’s horns. They were so obviously parts of each other.

“I have an idea. He deserves more than just immortality.”

“He needs more protection than immortality as well. The mate of a Son of Ifrit, how exciting.”

Kiorl recognised Nassau’s excited tone, and sighed. Nassau in a really good mood was almost as scary as Nassau in a rage.

“What are you thinking?” Kiorl stood, and walked over to where Atoki slept. He snuggled up in his grey silks, and not for the first time, Kiorl felt his stomach give an unpleasant lurch. It was the same feeling he associated with seeing Jahke and Sitka snuggled up together on the couch, Zai and Tobias’s good natured bickering. He’d always thought it was a bad feeling.

“Careful Kiorl, You shouldn’t covet something that you know’ll get you killed.”

“I’m not. He’s a bit prickly though.” Kiorl smiled, “He’s like Tobias. Strong willed. I don’t see him crumbling easily.”

“Kiorl, you sound practically happy. Does Vruuaska burn things that touch him?”

“Yup. Their door is totally singed.”

“Immunity from fire.” Nassau pulled a long bronze-gold feather from his wing, “I reckon I could twist that around for him. Protect him from father.”

“You think he won’t give up?”

Nassau stood, twiddling the feather in his fingers. He brushed the tip across the bridge of his nose.

“Kiorl, my father wants revenge on you, no one has ever left him. Ever. You need to be careful. Going up top for a bit might not be such a bad idea.” Nassau knelt next to the sleeping boy, “Here we go buddy. Its time to change.”

Copyright © 2013 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Haha pup you do like your twists and turns. Vru is soooo not going to be happy when he comes back down from the surface to see Atoki with a changed appearance even and especially the reasoning for it. I have a feeling that if they thought he'll was hot before it ain't nothing nothing compared to what it will be when Vru gets back. It's got to be bad when the prince is telling Korl to go up top. Give the devil his due he does think he can get away with anything since there isn't anyone to stop him. Hmm. Going he'll in the old town tonight I reckon. Can't wait for the next chapter for the fireworks lol

Link to comment

Kiorl going up top? Can we expect him to find something special up there? I've said it before but I'll say it again. He is my favorite!

 

Sounds like the story could be coming into some very interesting twists. Son of Hell being stronger then his father. Talk of killing his father. Sons of Fire being stronger then the King of Hell. The King of Hell messing with and trying to rape Atoki who belongs to a Son of Fire. Kiorl standing up and leaving the King of Hell. All seems to have the makings for a near apocalyptic outcome.

Link to comment

Several hints now about someone - other than Nassau - who is stronger than his father. I got the impression is was the Ifrit, whatever they are, but I'm not sure. Also, Kiorl going about sounds like a possible new story. I look forward to what Nassau has in mind for Atoki. I hope that, someday, Kiorl and Nassau both find what they need.

Link to comment
On 08/29/2013 01:32 AM, Daithi said:
Haha pup you do like your twists and turns. Vru is soooo not going to be happy when he comes back down from the surface to see Atoki with a changed appearance even and especially the reasoning for it. I have a feeling that if they thought he'll was hot before it ain't nothing nothing compared to what it will be when Vru gets back. It's got to be bad when the prince is telling Korl to go up top. Give the devil his due he does think he can get away with anything since there isn't anyone to stop him. Hmm. Going he'll in the old town tonight I reckon. Can't wait for the next chapter for the fireworks lol
my twists and turns are secret.... just you wait kitty
Link to comment
On 08/29/2013 02:21 AM, avidreadr said:
Several hints now about someone - other than Nassau - who is stronger than his father. I got the impression is was the Ifrit, whatever they are, but I'm not sure. Also, Kiorl going about sounds like a possible new story. I look forward to what Nassau has in mind for Atoki. I hope that, someday, Kiorl and Nassau both find what they need.
ah yes, the Them we keep mentioning, very smart. also Ifrit is an individual, hence having "sons". if he has sons who are demons, guess what he is...
Link to comment
On 08/29/2013 01:56 AM, CW Prince said:
Kiorl going up top? Can we expect him to find something special up there? I've said it before but I'll say it again. He is my favorite!

 

Sounds like the story could be coming into some very interesting twists. Son of Hell being stronger then his father. Talk of killing his father. Sons of Fire being stronger then the King of Hell. The King of Hell messing with and trying to rape Atoki who belongs to a Son of Fire. Kiorl standing up and leaving the King of Hell. All seems to have the makings for a near apocalyptic outcome.

i'm real good at the end of the world...
Link to comment

Showing vines porn? That's something I wanna try.

For some reasons I feel Kiorl needs all the love and protection available.

Give him a hug for me, seems They are going to haunt someone and Kiorl would be the victim.

Link to comment
On 08/30/2013 08:27 PM, nostic said:
Showing vines porn? That's something I wanna try.

For some reasons I feel Kiorl needs all the love and protection available.

Give him a hug for me, seems They are going to haunt someone and Kiorl would be the victim.

They do not haunt people, They have way too much power to want to bother with that.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..