Jump to content
    Superpride
  • Author
  • 2,909 Words
  • 2,074 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bound By Blood - 3. Chapter Three

Hearing a distant voice calling my name, I traversed through the darkness and moved towards a small blink of light. The voice was becoming louder and more distinct as I continued forward. The light also got brighter with the silhouette of a person standing in front of the window of shining illumination. I was then standing behind the person whose flowing, brown hair brought the scent of green apples that always entranced me. I knew who this person was. I knew who she was.

Placing my hand on her shoulder, I slowly turned the only woman I ever loved to face me. She, Annabella, smiled at me, and I smiled back even wider. I leaned forward to hug her when she asked why. I looked back at her, now frowning, and asked what she meant. She grabbed me by the collar of my shirt, and when I saw blood starting to seep out from her neck, then from her eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and hairline, my heart dropped. She screamed at me, asking why I abandoned her as the light suddenly became brighter. She then burst into flames as she shrieked my name, and all I could do was watch in horror. This wasn’t real…. This couldn’t be real!

“Damien! Damien! Wake up, man!”

I opened my eyes, and I sighed in relief, knowing what I just saw was only a bad dream. However, I then felt something constricting my wrists, and my ankles. I was also lying on the floor, cold and rough, and I wondered where I was. I then heard Anthony calling my name, and I sat up to see him only a couple of feet away. He was bond with his wrists behind his back as well as his ankles. I was in the same state as I tried to loosen the rope around my wrist, but whoever tied us up knew what they were doing.

“Shit, Anthony. What happened?” I mumbled as I looked around the darkened area.

“I don’t know, man. One moment we were leaving the bathhouse, and the next we’re here. I can’t remember anything between then and now,” Anthony said as he struggled under his restraints.

I thought back to that moment we left the bathhouse, and the memory of three individuals appeared in my mind. Two of them looked like bodyguards as they stood side by side with a younger-looking man who asked us to give Clarence to him. I of course refused, and I remembered a sharp pain in my neck before I fell. He must’ve been the one responsible for bringing us here, tied, and waiting for whatever fate awaited us. I instantly thought of my kids and my devastation if they have to live as orphans. I needed to get out of here. I needed to go back home. Now.

I used all my strength to try to loosen the rope, but nothing was working. My wrists were quickly becoming sore from my failed attempts and would soon bleed if I didn’t stop. I looked around, hoping to find a solution to our predicament, but all I saw was what looked like a throne. With its high back and extravagant designs carved into its body, I wondered for a moment if we were teleported back to the medieval times, of kings and servants…and slaves.

“Oh, God. What’re we going to do?” Anthony said, panic thick in his voice.

“We’ll find a way out of here, Anthony. Don’t worry.”

A sound was then heard from behind me, and I turned my head to see an individual slowly walking towards us with the artificial light from the doorway creating a dark silhouette on the person. This man walked past us and sat down on the throne-like chair. With his legs crossed and his elbows posed on the armrests, the man who we encountered outside the bathhouse smiled at us with his pearly white teeth. I was about to scream at him, but the man raised his finger at me, and for some reason I closed my mouth and obeyed. What the hell was that about?

“Before you speak, I first have to say that I’m sorry that I had you both tranquilized and bound in this manner. However, I knew that I wouldn’t be able to acquire Clarence without subduing you two first.”

I grunted. “Who are you? Why did you take us to whatever this place is instead of just leaving us on the street?”

“I’ll get to that,” the man said gently. Leaning forward, he continued by saying, “At first I thought you were just an average bounty hunter…however the scent of your blood from the tranquilizer dart piercing through your skin told me otherwise.”

“So, what? Did you bring us here to drain us of our blood?”

The man laughed, and I felt goosebumps across by skin. “No, nothing like that. I’m actually here to offer you a job.”

“What…What are you talking about?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Let me elaborate a bit. You see, Mr. Damien St. Paul, by smelling your blood, I know exactly who you are.”

My heart felt like it stopped as I stared at the man who could easily end my life and destroy the lives of my children. “I’m…I’m just a normal man. I’m a nobody.”

“To a person walking past you on the streets maybe, but to me and my people, your bloodline traces all the way back to the messiah, Jesus Christ.”

“What’s he talking about, Damien?” Anthony asked.

Smirking, the man stood up from his throne and walked towards me. “Let me explain further.” Standing in front of me, the man then crouched to my level with our faces only separated by a few inches of space. “May I see the left side of your neck?”

I bared my teeth at the man and didn’t move. “I’m not letting you sink your fangs into me, so fuck you.”

The man just smiled and said, “Don’t worry. I already had my evening meal. I just want to see…”

Reaching his hand towards my neck, I tried to move away, but somehow, he found a small spot on my neck that when touched, sent shivers throughout my entire body. I moaned, I fucking moaned as this vampire started rubbing his fingers across the area where my birthmark was. Who was this man?

“I can tell this is a vascular birthmark, caused by abnormal blood vessels beneath the skin. But I can also tell this is no ordinary blemish of the skin… It’s the sign that you’re indeed the descendent of one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ.”

I growled and shrugged his hand off of me. “What are you talking about?”

“Stop playing dumb. Your surname alone on your driver’s license I pulled from your wallet when you were unconscious shows that you are somehow related to the apostle, Paul. And with that birthmark, I know that you’re indeed belong to one of the families who guard the secrets to the relic known as the Holy Grail.”

“Damien, dude, what the hell is this guy talking about?” Anthony asked with furrowed eyebrows.

I sighed and looked at the man crouched in front of me. I gave him my deadliest of stares; however, he looked unfazed with his small smile and the cool-colored eyes that showed a hint of amusement…and danger in the blue irises of his.

“So what if I’m a direct descendent of one of Jesus’s twelve disciples. I alone don’t have the answer to where the Holy Grail is located,” I said, speaking the truth.

“That’s true,” the man said before standing back up. “I would need to locate a direct descendent from the eleven other families; however, I also know that is impossible. A few of the families are not known to have any living descendants, while the rest live isolated from the rest of the world and their locations is not known to even the highest of the Hierarchy.” Looking back at me, he smirked and said, “But it would be a shame to just let you go, considering your blood, though diluted, still has properties similar to the Holy Grail itself. Many vampires would do anything for even one drop of your blood, you know.”

“So, what? Are you going to drain me of all my blood then?” I said, trying to calm the panic that was rising within me.

The man chuckled. “No. That would be too cliché. And unless you can produce an unlimited quantity of blood like the Holy Grail, draining you of all of your blood would be a waste. I actually have another use for you…but only if you’ll cooperate with me.”

I looked at the man in front of me intensely. I didn’t know what he wanted from me, and I didn’t want to help him. However, I knew I needed to think about getting back home unharmed, so any acts of heroism and bravado weren’t advisable. Also, the man dropped his smirk and looked very serious as he gazed back at me. Like I said, this was all confusing to me. I just wanted a normal life with children who I wanted to see grow, get married, and have children of their own. And if I wanted to see them again, I needed to cooperate.

“I need your help, and I’ll make sure you’ll be rewarded immensely,” the man said.

Looking down, I said, “All right. Fine. Only because I want to get out of here alive.”

The man smiled again and walked back towards me. He crouched behind me, and I could hear him pulling my restraints from my wrists and ankles like they were mere string. This man could’ve killed me and Anthony at any moment after we were tranquilized. But that didn’t happen, and I wonder what purpose he had for me. I rubbed my wrists as the vampire broke the rope that restrained Anthony as well.

Standing up, I said, “So…what do you want from me?”

“I’ll let you know by tomorrow night. I still have to make the final touches to the plan I have for you. When I’m ready, I’ll call you. I already have your number from looking at your phone as well.”

“So we’re free to go?” Anthony asked.

“Yes, and your car is parked just outside the doors. Be prepared when I call you, Mr. St. Paul.”

I just nodded and began walking towards the doors, but then I turned around and asked, “What’s even your name?”

The vampire looked at me up and down, just like Clarence did back at the bathhouse, and said, “It’s Will. And that’s all you need to know for now. Until tomorrow, Damien.”

I frowned at the man, Will apparently, but decided to think about it as I walked through the doors with Anthony right behind me.

Outside, there was Anthony’s car just as Will said it would be, and Anthony hurryingly got into the driver’s seat. I looked around the area and though it was dark, I could see the expansive front lawn that was decorated with various hedges clipped in intricate shapes. Statues of various human-like figures also adorned the area, and I wondered where exactly we were. Looking back, I saw the front side of a dark-bricked mansion that could house at least a dozen families with some room to spare it seemed. Who was this Will person?

“Come on, Damien. Let’s get out of here,” Anthony called out.

I grimaced as I got into the front passenger’s seat and buckled my seatbelt.

We didn’t talk as Anthony drove me back to my home. The car radio playing a crappy pop song couldn’t squelch the thoughts racing in my head. I had so many questions, like what happened to Clarence and most especially what was Will’s plan for me?

I lied when I said I was a nobody, well not completely. I was a nobody now; however, when I used to live with my family in an isolated area in the middle of the Bible Belt, I was told constantly I was special. Not because I was gifted with higher intelligence, athletic skill, or even a talent like music and art. I, along with my younger brother, were two leaves of a large family trees that dates back to the time of Jesus Christ.

We were to be protected, at all costs, from forces that were only shadows to me when I was a child. Because of this, my family and I lived a very secluded life with religion force fed to me with punishment happening every time I disobeyed. I was very thankful I escaped that life with Annabella by my side. However, I knew I had unresolved issues I needed to fix, especially with my brother who stayed the last time I saw him which was over twenty years ago.

I had a feeling Will knew more about me than he was letting on, and I guessed that when he called me, his plan was going to relate back to my family.

Anthony eventually parked his car onto my driveway, and I was about to exit the car when I turned to him and said, “Are you okay, Anthony?”

Shrugging, Anthony said, “I guess… I really thought I was going to die right then… Just glad it’s over.”

“Yeah, me too.”

“But what am I going to tell the bail bondsman?”

“Just say we couldn’t find him at the bathhouse, and that we’re still looking for him. All right? I’ll talk with this Will guy when he calls me tomorrow.”

“Should you really be doing whatever that vampire is planning? I don’t think he has any good intentions for you, and I’m afraid you’ll be discovered dead with all your blood drained.”

“Anthony…do I look like a damsel in distress?”

“Um…no…but he did manage to knockout both of us outside the bathhouse, remember?”

Sighing, I said, “I know. However, I need to know that my family won’t be affected by this vampire, and I need some answers as well. I promise I’ll be careful, okay?”

“You better. I don’t know how I’ll handle if you end up dead…or worse.”

“It’s going to be okay. Bye, Anthony.”

Anthony nodded. “Bye, Chief.”

I gave Anthony a smile and got out of his car. I then entered my house, walking into the living room where I collapsed onto the couch that was covered with dolls and other toys. I didn’t care though since I was finally back home.

“Dad!”

I grunted when I heard two pairs of footsteps running towards me.

“You’re home!”

“I am,” I said, my voice muffled on the couch cushion.

“Dad, can we ask you something?”

Turning my head to the side, I saw Joanna’s face that was smiling back at me. “Depends. What is it?”

“Can Isabel and I have our birthday presents early this year?”

“Girls, your birthday along with your party is only two weeks away. Just be patient.”

“Yeah, but it’s only one week away. Can’t we just get our presents now and just skip the party?” Isabel whined.

“I want that new dollhouse I saw online the other day. And Isabel wants a new camera,” Joanna said.

“It’s just two presents, Dad. That’s all we want.”

“And let me guess. These two presents cost more than a hundred dollars. Right?”

Isabel and Joanna didn’t answer which was enough for me to know that they were asking for a lot for only two presents.

“Please, Dad! We only want two things, and we won’t ask you for anything else,” Joanna begged.

“Oh, I heard that before. Next, you’ll want dolls to go with that new dollhouse, and new lenses for that camera. Girls, just be happy with the things you have now, which I’m currently lying on top of right now.”

“But, Dad—”

“No. I’m not going to debate you two on this. I’m very tired and… What time is it, anyways? If I look at my phone and see that it’s past twelve, I’ll—”

As I reached for my phone, the girls ran out of the living room, presumably knowing they’ll be grounded if they weren’t getting ready for bed right now. Grunting again, I forced myself to stand back up, so I could talk to Austin. My son knew the routine of when he babysat the girls like not letting them stay up past ten and leaving the living room a mess.

Walking up the stairs, I called out Austin’s name, but he didn’t answer. I then entered his bedroom where I saw him with his head down on his desk with at least three textbooks opened and his computer screen displaying an essay. I sighed at the sight of my son who wasn’t only athletically gifted but was a dedicated student as well. He must’ve not have gotten any sleep recently and babysitting the girls couldn’t have helped.

I turned off his desk lamp as well as the screen of his computer before taking a blanket and placing it over his shoulders. I also set the alarm on his clock to ring at six, so Austin still had time to finish whatever assignments he had left.

At the doorway, I looked back at my only son and frowned before saying good night. Hopefully, this won’t be the last night I got to say that.

Copyright © 2019 Superpride; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

If someone was really interested in protection, why retain the obvious conceit and hubris of the Saint in the surname? If his family's blood is so prized, forget him, he has kids with the same bloodline.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

If someone was really interested in protection, why retain the obvious conceit and hubris of the Saint in the surname? If his family's blood is so prized, forget him, he has kids with the same bloodline.

I wouldn't have said it that way but I agree. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 6/12/2019 at 12:38 AM, drpaladin said:

If someone was really interested in protection, why retain the obvious conceit and hubris of the Saint in the surname? If his family's blood is so prized, forget him, he has kids with the same bloodline.

Yes, it's very true that there is vanity in keeping the surname St. Paul. Maybe there is a reason for why Damien maintained the surname when he could've easily changed it instead after escaping from his family. We'll see 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/12/2019 at 1:32 AM, Wesley8890 said:

I wouldn't have said it that way but I agree. 

Damien should indeed think about the protection of his children as well since they do carry the same bloodline as him. We'll see why Damien kept the surname in a future chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/12/2019 at 1:22 PM, mfa607 said:

This story definitely has my attention! Great chapter! Thank you!

And thank you for the uplifting comment! :heart:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..