Jump to content
    Superpride
  • Author
  • 3,000 Words
  • 1,452 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bound By Blood - 9. Chapter Nine

Isabel and Joanna’s birthday party was hectic to say the least. A week of planning beforehand didn’t prepare me for what came next; more than two dozen girls and boys fueled with sugar, sugar, and even more sugar was complete chaos, especially since only one other parent offered to stay and help with the rowdy kids. And it sucked when Anthony called to tell me that he couldn’t arrive until later. Family drama from what I could tell from my phone conversation.

However, eventually she had to leave as well, and I was left managing all these little minions with Austin as my sidekick. With all the shouting and running around in the living room, I regretted not making the time to clearing the backyard of fire ants, so the kids had more room to go wild. I could never be a teacher was all I could say. Recess and lunchtime were probably a godsend for them.

Setting this party for the girls was still very much worth it. Seeing both girls smiling maniacally as they played games with all of their friends was an amazing sight. I didn’t know they had so many friends, but apparently most of the kids from their class came with a few from other classes as well. They were the life of the party, and I was glad I could facilitate that for them.

The party started at one and when the clock reached six, I finally pulled out the cake from the refrigerator that I had custom made from a popular bakery in the city. The cake had six layers of both vanilla and chocolate with cream cheese frosting, and I even went of out the way of making sure there were no ingredients that could cause an allergic reaction for their girls’ best friend, Bethany.

As the kids surrounded the cake, I was taking out ten, mismatched birthday candles from a kitchen drawer that also contained old spoons and a broken dish when I heard the doorbell ring. I quickly dropped the candles on the countertop and jogged to the front door, almost tripping on a couple of toys in the process. After stumbling a little, I opened the door and saw, who else, Will standing at the other side of the doorway with a smile on his face. The man had to wear a short-sleeved, collared shirt with a bowtie that made him look completely irresistible.

I couldn’t stop myself from staring at this sexy man; I must’ve been drooling since Will raised an eyebrow and said, “Hey, Damien… Are you going to invite me in?”

Returning from my entrancement, I said, “Oh, right. Sorry! Come right in.”

Will’s smile grew as he walked into my house, and I noticed he was carrying two gifts covered in gold wrapping.

“Oh, Will. You didn’t have to buy the girls gifts,” I said.

“Nonsense. What kind of guest would I be if I didn’t want buy their affection?” Will said and winked.

I chuckled, and the girls came out of the kitchen, both greeting Will with excitement as they approach him. “Girls, Will got you each a birthday gift.”

“I sure did. You girls want to open them now?” Will asked, extending the wrapped gifts to them.

Both nodded, and they thanked Will before accepting their gifts. Expecting them to unwrap new dolls, I was surprised what I saw instead.

“You got them books?” I whispered to Will.

Will snickered, and I looked back to see Joanna’s face light up when she opened the supposed book and a dollhouse unfolded out of the pages.

“It’s a pop-up dollhouse, Joanna. Two floors, eight rooms in total. There’s even paper dolls in the pocket there,” Will explained before turning to Isabel who opened her book. “And that’s a flipbook, Isabel. So, flip the pages really fast and see all those still images move like a cartoon.”

Isabel did as Will instructed, and her mouth was wide open as a character started doing the hoedown. And Joanna continued looking at her own gift with the same amount of marvel.

“Well? How do you two like your gifts?” Will asked.

“WE LOVE THEM!” the girls exclaimed in unison, hugging either side of Will who patted their backs in return.

The twins ran back to the kitchen, their gifts clutched tightly in their arms, and I had to look at Will since I was completely impressed by how thoughtful those presents were.

“And for a moment I thought you gave them books,” I said.

Will chuckled and said, “Nah. I just remembered you telling me what the girls wanted for their birthday and how you didn’t want to just spoil them. So, I thought that a pop-up book and a flipbook would be a nice alternative.”

“Well, that was extremely thoughtful of you. But how could you tell them apart?”

“I have my ways.” Will smirked.

I cocked my head, and Will laughed in response.

“Okay, okay. I guessed. But I was right, wasn’t I?”

I laughed in return, and I naturally placed my thumb on Will’s chin, feeling the smooth skin right under his plump bottom lips. I made a move to kiss him when the girls called out to me to light up the birthday candles and sing the happy birthday song with their friends.

“How about afterwards, huh?” Will said as he played with the collar of my shirt. “I’ve got a gift for you as well, which I’ll show you later.”

I licked and nodded. This was the girls’ day after all.

I reentered the kitchen with Will right behind me. I quickly gathered the birthday candles and placed them on the cake in a circular formation. I was about to go search for a lighter when Will pulled one from his pocket and light each candle in quick succession. I mouthed a thank you to him and soon everyone in the kitchen began singing the happy birthday song to my twin girls.

After the song was finished, I told them to close their eyes and make a wish, which they did before blowing the candles together. Everyone clapped their hands for the birthday girls, officially ten years old and loving life to the fullest.

I proceeded to get a butter knife and started making small slices of the cake, enough slices so each guest had at least one. As I handed the first two slices to the girls, I heard another ring of the doorbell. Will offered to give the rest of the cake out, and I thanked him before walking back to the front door. I checked the peephole and noticed that Anthony finally arrived.

Opening the door, I was introduced to Anthony who had his head down and was wearing a pair of sunglasses despite it being the evening.

“Anthony. You finally arrived,” I said.

“Yeah, I’m really sorry about that.” Anthony rubbed the back of his neck, looking really uncomfortable before saying, “Hey, I just came by, so I can greet the girls a happy birthday. Then I’ll be on my way.”

“Why are you wearing those sunglasses? Are you hungover, Anthony?”

“No, no. Of course not. It’s just… It’s complicated, okay? Now if you can step aside, so I can—”

I snatched the sunglasses from Anthony’s face and saw a quick glimpse of a bruised right eye before he covered the injury with his hand.

“Oh, come on, man,” Anthony said, looking down again.

Pulling his hand away, I then said that he had a small cut right under his eye as well before letting him cover it again.

“Shit, Anthony. Who did that to you?” I asked, very concerned.

“No one. It’s nothing. I just fell is all,” Anthony said pathetically.

“Yeah, sure, said every abuse victim ever... Did your ex-boyfriend come back and do that to you?” I asked, wanting answers.

“No way! Have you seen him? He’d sooner break a nail and cry before leaving even one scratch on me.”

“Then who? I’m not letting you in this house until you answer me.”

“Fine. I’ll leave then,” Anthony spat before snatching his sunglasses back and turning around.

“Anthony?”

I looked to see my son next to me, and Anthony quickly stopped his way back to his car before turning around and facing us. Austin swore and asked him what happened. I crossed my arms and waited for him to respond.

A moment later, he did by saying, “Just…Just some family drama.”

I cocked my head, waiting for more.

Sighing, Anthony continued by saying, “Some girl I was supposed to marry because of family duty or whatever came to my apartment earlier today. I don’t know how she found me, but she did. She then started crying, then shouting, and I started shouting back. One thing led to another and then…she gave me this shiner.”

“Oh, God. Anthony,” Austin said.

“She’s still at my apartment, man. I would’ve still been trapped in there if she hadn’t gone to the bathroom to find bandages right after she struck me. That was when I escaped and came here… I’m sorry.”

“Anthony. There’s absolutely no reason for you to be apologizing,” I said, stepping forward and placing both hands on his shoulders. “I’m sorry, man. Come inside and just relax, okay?”

“I appreciate this, Damien. Thank you.”

“No problem.” I led Anthony into the house and onto the living room couch. “Need a drink?”

“Yes. Please,” Anthony said before lying his head back.

“I’ll go get the first-aid kit,” Austin said to me.

I patted my son’s shoulder, and I went to the kitchen as he went upstairs. I saw that all the kids had a slice of cake in their hands with some cake still leftover. Will came to me as I pulled out an ice-cold beer from the refrigerator.

“Is everything all right?” Will asked.

“Yeah… Actually, not really. Someone punched Anthony in the eye, and I’m just getting him a beer, while Austin gets the med kit.”

“I see.”

“It’ll be fine. Can you just watch the kids, make sure they don’t get too hyper from the cake?”

Will nodded. “Will do.”

I held Will’s hand for a moment before walking back to Anthony who was fussing over being treated by Austin.

“No, it’s fine, Austin. It’s just a small cut,” Anthony insisted.

“Well, if you don’t want that small cut to become a serious infection, you’ll let me clean it,” Austin insisted.

I chuckled. “That’s exactly what his mother always said whenever he got injured after playing football with his friends.”

Austin looked at Anthony impatiently before he finally gave in and allowed my son to press a cotton pad on the cut. He flinched a little, but Austin only dabbed the area a couple times before quickly putting an antibiotic ointment and a small bandage. I then handed Anthony his beer as his reward, which he placed next to his head. This woman must’ve punched him really hard, considering he was a bounty hunter and men like us didn’t go down easily.

“So…did you hit her back?” Austin asked out of nowhere.

“Of course not!” Anthony said. “I can’t hit her.”

“Well, she hit you first,” my son retorted.

“No, I mean I really can’t hit her back.” Anthony sighed and sank into the couch. “She’s stronger than she looks. And besides, I wouldn’t give her the satisfaction.”

“Meaning?” I asked.

“There was a reason she was shouting at me for hours. She wanted me to hit her, then she would cry home to her father who would then send the entire pack after me for hurting his little girl. She wants me back home, and I don’t want to do that.”

Confused, I then asked, “What do you mean by pack? Is that some kind of new gang term?”

“No… Of course not. There’s no gangs in the countryside. Only crops, wannabe cowboys, and—”

“Lycans?”

We all turned to Will who was leaning against the archway to the kitchen before approaching us.

“Oh, you’re here,” Anthony sneered before taking a large gulp of his beer. “And what are you talking about? Lycans? You mean like werewolves?”

“No, not like werewolves. Lycans, a breed of beings who originated from the Greek gods, just like the vampires. They were created specifically by the Greek god known as Hades who had a three-headed dog named Cerberus. However, time has a way of distorting facts and true events into myths and legends.”

“And what exactly was distorted?” Anthony asked.

“The fact that Cerberus wasn’t actually a three-headed dog but instead was three individuals who possessed supernatural abilities and led an oligarchy that controlled the flow of the undead who entered the underworld. They would later be feared as monsters, werewolves, and later today as lycans. But you should know since you’re a lycan yourself.”

Anthony started snickering, and I was left completely confused on what was happening.

“Okay, Mr. Mythologist, if you’re so knowledgeable about the tales of Greek mythology and believe that I am a lycan, then why do I look like a normal human?”

“Simple. Hades possessed a tool that granted him the ability of invisibility and he soon granted that same power to the three leaders of the oligarchy known as Cerberus. The tool didn’t actually grant invisibility, though. It only allowed them to hide their true form, a form that can be exposed with a mirror or any reflected object. And if you don’t believe me, just look at the reflection on the television screen. I did.”

I didn’t know what Will was trying to get at, but I looked at the screen of the television and was floored by what I saw. Standing by the couch wasn’t Anthony, but a large, furry creature with tall ears and a long snout that was baring sharp teeth. I then looked back at Anthony who was standing in the same manner and baring his teeth in a snarl as he eyed Will with indignation. Austin must’ve saw the reflection of Anthony as well since he stood up and backed away from him.

Then a low growl was heard, and I took a step between the two men before saying, “All right, you two. Just relax, okay? For the sake of the kids.”

I turned my head to see that all the kids, along with the twins, looking at the situation from the kitchen. I looked at Will and then at Anthony who closed his eyes and began to relax his posture.

“Dad, is everything okay?” Joanna asked with worry evident in her voice.

“Yes, honey. Everything’s okay,” I assured my daughter.

“I’m sorry. I just need a breather,” Anthony said, placing his beer on the coffee table and walking out through the front door. “I’ll be at the bar.”

A moment passed when no one said anything, then Isabel said to her friends, “Hey, who wants to play the new video game Bethany gave us?”

All the kids cheered, and I watched as all of them gathered around the couch and focused their attention on the television that soon started displaying a video game of a short, Italian plumber with a mustache who I forgot the name of. Austin grabbed the beer and walked to the kitchen.

Fully distracted, I followed Anthony’s direction and saw him enter his car before skidding away. I thought it was best that he got some time for himself, and I returned to the small foyer of my house where Will was standing.

Approaching Will, I said, “What was that?”

“I’m sorry, Damien. I was just concerned for your safety. Tensions between vampires and lycans have been intensifying again over recent years, and I was just afraid that your friend might be part of the conflict. I don’t want to see you get hurt because of him.”

“Thank you for your concern, but I’ve known Anthony for more than a decade now. He has defended me many times before when I was still a bounty hunter, so I highly doubt he’ll turn around and stab me in the back now. Besides, why would he, as a lycan, want to betray our friendship?”

“I believe you then. However, I have to also believe that he hasn’t told you everything relating to his past. But I’ll let him decide whether or not you’ll be told. However, I’ll tell you this. To answer your question, what Anthony said about his female friend, I have a feeling that war is coming soon, and this is all related to Annabella.”

I took a step back. “What do you know about—?”

“I have to see my king. War’s possibly brewing, and I need to let him know, so we can start preparing just in case.” Will pressed his lips against mine, and I didn’t stop myself from kissing back. “I’ll come back later at around midnight…if you’ll have me.”

“Of course you can come back.” Kissing Will again, I then said, “Just do what you have to do. I’ll be here when you come back.”

“Great. See you later.”

I nodded, and I kissed Will one more time before he left through the front door. Closing the door but leaving it unlocked for Anthony to return, I turned back and saw that Austin was looking at me. He stood awkwardly only a few feet away, and I was pretty sure he saw what Will and I exchanged only a minute ago. He opened his mouth to say something but then swiveled on his feet and walked away.

This day that was just supposed to be a day of celebration suddenly became much more complicated. Much, much more complicated. I just found out that my friend for over a decade wasn’t who he appeared to be, literally. And somehow this was connected to Annabella. I then ashamed since all I cared about then was seeing Will again. My priorities were definitely screwed up.

Copyright © 2019 Superpride; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Birthday parties with sugar fueled ten year olds, feuding covert lycans, a hot vampire, and a teenager close to making a confession. The party was a barrel of fun. If I were Anthony, I wouldn't go back home. I might call the police and report a burglary and let Miss Wolfie try to explain on her own. Why has Anthony concealed himself from Damien and how is Annabelle's death involved in the vamp/doggie conflict? I doubt Will just now discovered Anthony is a doggy. Questions and uncertain loyalties abound.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Ahh the plot thickens. Explains why Anthony wasn’t much of a fan of Will. Great chapter! Thank you! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Omfg I honestly did not expect that. I should've given his animosity towards Will, but I didn't! You got me very hard thing to do my friend!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Birthday parties with sugar fueled ten year olds, feuding covert lycans, a hot vampire, and a teenager close to making a confession. The party was a barrel of fun. If I were Anthony, I wouldn't go back home. I might call the police and report a burglary and let Miss Wolfie try to explain on her own. Why has Anthony concealed himself from Damien and how is Annabelle's death involved in the vamp/doggie conflict? I doubt Will just now discovered Anthony is a doggy. Questions and uncertain loyalties abound.

Luckily no ten-year-old children were harmed during the verbal altercation between Will the vampire and Anthony the lycan. Also, one has to wonder what Austin thinks about all of this. One, he realizes the man he's most likely crushing on is a supernatural being with a troubled, past home life. And two, his father was kissing another man who is also a vampire. Seems like this party was just as exciting for him as it was for Damien and the birthday girls. And it also appears that not only does Damien have deep secrets, but Anthony and apparently his wife do as well. More secrets will be revealed and explained as the story continues. Thank you for commenting again. I always look forward to reading them.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Ahh the plot thickens. Explains why Anthony wasn’t much of a fan of Will. Great chapter! Thank you! 

Thanks again for commenting. Yes, the realization that Will and Damien belong to two feuding, supernatural races isn't the best ice breaker in my opinion. We'll see if they can put their differences aside and prevent more conflict from brewing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JCtoGO2 said:

Excellent chapter. The story just keeps getting better and better

Thank you! More chapters are on the way. 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Omfg I honestly did not expect that. I should've given his animosity towards Will, but I didn't! You got me very hard thing to do my friend!

Haha, I'm glad I surprised you! And one has to wonder what other supernatural beings other than vampires and lycans exist in this world. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, Superpride said:

Luckily no ten-year-old children were harmed during the verbal altercation between Will the vampire and Anthony the lycan. Also, one has to wonder what Austin thinks about all of this. One, he realizes the man he's most likely crushing on is a supernatural being with a troubled, past home life. And two, his father was kissing another man who is also a vampire. Seems like this party was just as exciting for him as it was for Damien and the birthday girls. And it also appears that not only does Damien have deep secrets, but Anthony and apparently his wife do as well. More secrets will be revealed and explained as the story continues. Thank you for commenting again. I always look forward to reading them.

One peculiar point. If every reflective surface reveals Anthony's secret, how has he kept it so long? Just lucky?

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

One peculiar point. If every reflective surface reveals Anthony's secret, how has he kept it so long? Just lucky?

Good question. I'll just say that since lycans assumingly live in the countryside, they could've isolated themselves from most of human society, making their existence more easily contained versus vampires who have become mainstream.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
9 minutes ago, Superpride said:

Good question. I'll just say that since lycans assumingly live in the countryside, they could've isolated themselves from most of human society, making their existence more easily contained versus vampires who have become mainstream.

But Anthony has been around and not stuck in the countryside for the past ten years. The years of car windows, plate glass windows, etc. How you do you miss a man sized dog? Let me postulate they can conceal their true reflection by glamour and he was just too distracted this particular night.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, drpaladin said:

But Anthony has been around and not stuck in the countryside for the past ten years. The years of car windows, plate glass windows, etc. How you do you miss a man sized dog? Let me postulate they can conceal their true reflection by glamour and he was just too distracted this particular night.

Yes, escaping his apartment after some deranged woman punched him in the face wouldn't have allowed him to properly hide his true form in whatever manner that could've been. Thank you for providing your thoughts on this situation. It will be addressed soon in a future chapter. 😀

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow! This chapter is a real explosion! The fear\dislike\distrust\hate between vampires and lycans is something new to me, but then much knowledge of mythology has escaped me in my lifetime. It certainly adds something to the story, however.

I looked 'Lycanthropy' up on the Internet: their discussion revolved around 'shape-shifting', which it seems is slightly different from the concept of 'glamor' being used to hide\disguise a being's true appearance, but in my limited experience with mythology and mythological beings, a reflective surface would not show anything of a werewolf or vampire -- no reflection at all. But, then. Super, this is your story and you can have any rules you wish. At any rate lycanthropy sure adds an interesting twist! 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

Wow! This chapter is a real explosion! The fear\dislike\distrust\hate between vampires and lycans is something new to me, but then much knowledge of mythology has escaped me in my lifetime. It certainly adds something to the story, however.

I looked 'Lycanthropy' up on the Internet: their discussion revolved around 'shape-shifting', which it seems is slightly different from the concept of 'glamor' being used to hide\disguise a being's true appearance, but in my limited experience with mythology and mythological beings, a reflective surface would not show anything of a werewolf or vampire -- no reflection at all. But, then. Super, this is your story and you can have any rules you wish. At any rate lycanthropy sure adds an interesting twist! 

I will admit that a feud between vampires and lycans/werewolves isn't completely original with other stories like the film series Underworld portraying that conflict as well, but mine having a Greek mythological twist to it. And mirrors have an interesting effect on supernatural beings like lycans in this world, and you'll soon see what mirrors can do and reveal to beings like vampires.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..