Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Valve Software <br>

Test Subject #00001 - 1. Chapter 1

Chapter 1.0

The first thing that hit me was pain. A lot of it. It throbbed in my brain, like a pounding drum. Groaning, I opened my weary eyes and tried to comprehend my bleak surroundings. It was awfully dark, there was no point in trying to make out where I was.

And then, a piercing light filled my vision.

Groaning again, I rubbed my eyes. My eyesight began to clear and I started to make out things in the room. The scratchy bed I was lying in, the wall next to me, a small table and fridge, a television, a bamboo plant…

Then I realised that I didn't know this place at all.

Where was I? It seemed to be some kind of hotel room. Oh god…I groaned a third time as I concluded that I probably got heavily drunk in Vegas and had just had a one night stand with some rich jerk. Which would explain the massive hangover I was having. But there was no naked guy next to me in bed, maybe he had hurried off before he could bear the embarrassing moment of waking up the morning after. Still that doesn't explain the sudden light…

"Hello, and welcome to the Aperture Science Computer-aided enrichment center. As you have been in isolated stasis for…well, I actually don't have the actuaries with me. Let's just assume that you have been in this state for a very, long time. Although the symptoms of long periods of isolated stasis are now acting upon you, the scheduled testing can begin. Please prepare for the relaxation unit to undergo a manual transfer. You may wish to hold the handles located directly above your head in the duration of this transfer."

Okay, so a female computer voice randomly making an announcement is something I wasn't expecting. Let alone, the weird things she said. Apparently I had been in 'isolated stasis for a long time and now 'scheduled testing' can start. In a way, the voice reminded me of Siri, the computer woman on my iPhone. Instinctively, I reached for my phone and found it wasn't there in my pocket. Actually, there wasn't any pocket there. And then I saw the clothes I was wearing. What am I wearing?

The hotel room moved.

Literally, it moved. I screamed in surprise and noticed the handles above my head, the ones Siri was talking about. I reached up and grabbed them. I breathed rapidly as the room shifted sideways. The bamboo plant shook. The fridge door creaked open. The television on top of the shelf shuddered, as it displayed a notice: "Relaxation Unit manual transfer is now in progress." And then a loud clunk was heard as the room seemed to make full impact with a larger item outside. Everything stopped moving. The freaky ride was over. I found my hands were stuck to the handles in terror. What kind of hotel is this?

"Thank you for your patience. Please note that testing is nearly ready. The door to this room will open in one minute." Siri said.

I looked at the television, and it changed its message to: "Testing will begin in one minute."

Now that word seemed to be repeated. Testing. What testing? This is not some fancy police custody is it? Because they might be testing my breath for alcohol. No that couldn't be it.

"Hello?" I cried out. "Anyone there? I think I'm in the wrong place."

Nobody replied. Maybe it was time I got out of bed. I pulled back the bed sheets and screamed in shock. There was some kind of weird thing on my legs, which looked like metallic boots. They were comfortable, but I didn't expect to see them attached to my legs. I stretched out and stood up on my legs, and nearly flopped back onto the bed. Both my arms and legs felt quaky. Like jelly. I regained myself and put one step forward, then another, and I slowly made to the door. Opening it, I looked outside into darkness. My eyes were still fuzzy, so I had to concentrate on what was out there. As my vision cleared, I could make out a catwalk railing. The foggy air seemed to have a dark blue tinge, and distant, dark objects with small blue lights dotted on them filled the emptiness beyond the railing. And it was cold. So cold. My legs were feeling better so I walked out and followed the catwalk. It branched off to the right and seemed to carry on to a large, foreboding wall, covering my vertical peripheral vision. Squinting, I noticed the catwalk ended at a circular door with a modified version of an exit symbol displayed on it. As I walked towards it, I thought it would be a good idea to label things. That circular door – Exit. The weird metallic boots. Well, Metal boots would do it. And obviously me, my name is…is…

I stopped short and frowned. What was my name? One of the simplest things couldn't come to me, as if someone had clotted the connection to me and the knowledge of my name. Why couldn't I remember anything?Maybe someone has drugged me...

As I came to the exit door, I noticed a camera installed above it, staring down at me, following my movements. Creepy. Who's watching me? If it's Siri, I'll freak. Maybe that issue is best to be left unsolved. The door clicked and hissed open. I was about to step through, but nearly feel backwards when I saw a blue mesh covering the doorway. No not mesh...some kind of static electricity. Like an electric grid. There's only one way to go, and that's through it. Carefully, I reached out and touched the grid. A tingling sensation tantalized my hand, inviting me to come closer. I did. But when I put my body through the grid, I got this tiny electric shock. I yelped, and squeamishly darted away from it. Then I realized I had made it through. With no injury. I nearly laughed. I turned and noticed that there were stairs shaped by the catwalk. At the bottom, was a circular capsule. Curious, I walked down the stairs and stepped inside. Behind me, a barrier closed. I realized I'd stepped into an elevator. My stomach lurched as it shot down.

This is definitely not a hotel.

Copyright © 1998-2022; Valve Software; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2015 The_Jordanator; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Valve Software <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..