Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 1,565 Words
  • 3,318 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's War - 33. Chapter 33

The darkness settled in around him and he shivered despite the blazing fire in the hearth. He felt the ache of worry for his daughter, how close she had come to being hurt and he closed his eyes to the pain of every parents nightmare, letting it flow through him, allowing it to remind him that not even he was invincible. The worry subsided, and he slumped back into his chair before the flames. He had not been fearful in a long, long time he had almost forgotten the sensation. He had just assumed that it was another shred of he was that he had lost to time, one of a thousand other things he neither needed nor cared about anymore.

He shifted in the comfortable high backed chair, he had lost so much already building his company and he wondered how much would remain after this latest struggle he found himself in. Yet another battle of wills just to hold on to what he had built. How much of his life, experiences, passions; his humanity would remain after he was gone, to guide the company he had given his whole life to building?

He had accepted many years ago, that he wouldn't lead it forever. There were plenty of ambitious men out there that wouldn't hesitated to leap on his moments of weakness, striking fast and hard before he could react. The quietness of the study helped him to relax, and his doubts waited like a caged tiger at the back of his mind, but Robert Avery wasn't about to give up just yet.

Taking a drink from the cup on the table beside him, he savoured the bitter herbal taste of the tea. There was a strong desire to retire, to forget the worries of the world that hovered in his mind and remember what it was like to be at peace. His finger traced his bearded jaw line, feeling the brittle thinning strands beneath his fingertip. He was an old man, both in mind and body and he knew that the rest he sought would never come.

He sensed the other moments before the door cracked open to admit someone into the study. The aging industrialist shifted in his chair to face Weippert standing silently in the centre of the room. Weippert's wolf like features were accented by the orange glow of the flames, and his broad grin glittered in the dim light. He was studying the old man, a young wolf appraising the wounded pack leader, debating whether to strike and take the power for his own. As for that old man, he found he no longer could bring himself to care; Weippert could take it, the company and the power, and be welcome to it.

Robert didn't stand, he didn't need to. He just sat there and watched the man he had hired, and had protected debate something with himself. The young wolf was circling, did he know that the shareholders were considering him to be the next president of Avery-Woods? He sincerely doubted Weippert have hesitated had the younger man thought he could get away with taking the company. He would leap upon the chance and with the backing of the shareholders would have control of Avery-Woods and the power he longed for.

Weippert's grin became deeper, colder, he knew. That was the only thing that Robert could be certain of. The young wolf appeared confident as he stared down upon the old man. "Is your daughter all right?" His voice seemed to ooze with false concern and patronization, "I came as soon as I heard..."

Robert's eye's narrowed, he was sick of the games the man played. Weippert did nothing without a motive, and concern was never a motive for someone as dark as Weippert. "Get to the point Bruce." He snapped testily.

Weippert produced an envelope, opening it and pulling out two sets of documents. He flourished his wrist, and reached into his pocket to produce a pen.

"Nice trick." Robert said dryly, as he regarded the mirror, "Now can you roll over and play dead?"

Weippert ignored the sarcasm that laced the others voice as he concentrated on the documents, looking for the appropriate items. Satisfied they were in order he handed them over to Robert. The older man accepted them and began to scan over them, using the firelight to read.

He sneered, "I'm not going to sign these."

"You will if you wish to avoid accidents, like what happened to your daughter last night." Bruce's words were cold, hard.

His world shattered, "Libbet..." Robert's heart sank, and realized that everything was connected. He rounded upon Weippert, his eyes cold and hard; his voice was a fine edge of steel. "What are you hoping to achieve by threatening me? You could have the company at any time you want, all you have to do is convene the shareholders." He tried to ignore the wild thoughts and fears for his daughter's life. Those thoughts cut deeply into his soul.

Weippert made a simple gesture to the documents, "At the end of the day you could convene another meeting after you regain control of your stock and oust me just as I am doing to you. The vote is close, too close for me to call, I need your shares to win, Robert," His voice seemed to be filled with humour, "ironic that your own shares will be used to give up control of the firm."

The old man stood shakily, rage welled up within him, he wanted it to stop, but he wanted the creature before him dead and the threats against his family silenced once and for all. His rage encouraged him to lash out, crush the life out of him, and beat him until there was nothing left. No one threatened his daughter's life.

Weippert reached under his jacket and produced a small box, which he tossed to the man raising to destroy him, "Here is the proof you'll need."

Avery's hand caught the small box. He opened it and drew out its contents. A piece of frayed cable, like a break lead, it had been cut in such a way as to look like it had corroded and he nearly dropped it as he recognized it for what it was.

Disbelief and anger continued to rise within him as he stared at it. It was a clear message; as he crossed the study to reach for the phone, to call the police, have the son of a bitch arrested.

"I wouldn't if I were you." Weippert said, "Its your word against mine, and right now considering everything going on in the company they would think your just trying to discredit me so that you could keep control of Avery-Woods. And considering your fingerprints are the only ones on that," he nodded to the severed cable, "They would agree with me when I deny everything. And I will still walk away with the company." He smiled, "and of course other accidents could happen at any time..."

"Why?" Avery demanded, staring up at Weippert, he shook with emotion as he tried to understand why his daughter was being targeted instead of him.

Weippert's wolf-like smile only deepened further, "I have to ensure you release those shares onto the open market so I can buy them, sign the documents, " He nodded towards the discarded papers, "its insurance that I win, and of course I will win."

Robert went cold; the chill sank deeply till it reached the very marrow of his bones. He moved towards Weippert threateningly, "You betrayed me." Realization dawned on Robert; Weippert had set it all up, right from the beginning. The Tri-Tech situation, even after all that had transpired, he had known exactly what would happen. That Robert would step up to defend his employees, take the blame for their mistakes. How could he betray his own nature? Robert realized chillingly that he had been played like a fool, and fate had positioned a piece behind all his defences.

Weippert frowned, "No Robert, I've betrayed no one, I have only ever served one goal, which is my own." He looked at the documents again;"Don't think about it too long." He walked across and gathered them up, setting them on the table in front of the old man, "I would hate for anything else to happen to your lovely family." He smiled in a calming fashion, "I'll collect these from you in twenty four hours." He stated coldly as he walked from the room.

The old man breathed heavily, things spiralled around him too fast for him to realize what was happening. Weippert's betrayal he had expected, it had only been a matter of time, and he had preparations in place to deal with that. He had not expected the way it was to unfold. Weippert had been a valuable, if dangerous asset in ensuring that Avery-Woods stayed ahead of its competitors; he was good at his job. Robert had counted on a certain level of gratitude and humility after the Tri-Tech mess. Hoping that it would serve as a check between Weippert and his own aspirations, but Robert was the one caught in the web. Tri-tech was nothing more than a small piece in a much larger game and any way one looked at it, Weippert had won.

Copyright © 2011 Topher_Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Angry 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

And so plans start to come out into the light. Is it too late, or are there things that can be done. That Saturday when Will found Gavin emptying the benefits fund may be the lever needed.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..