Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 1,679 Words
  • 4,160 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's War - 32. Chapter 32

Marc had slept late, after the shock of the night before had knocked him cold almost as soon as he had fallen into the bed, grateful to finally be able to sleep. But he had awoken with a start in unfamiliar surroundings and it had taken him a moment to remember where he was.

Will was already up, the clattering in the kitchen said he was doing something, and when Marc stumbled down the stairs he saw that Will was doing dishes. Jared sitting on the couch ribbing him about being domesticated. There was a comfortable and relaxed feeling in the house that morning, and Marc appreciated it.

He sat heavily into an armchair and focused on the television, yet another movie marathon played out. Mindless action was a good distraction, it took his mind off of Libbet and Lucas and the train wreck that was his life.

Mutely accepting the cup of coffee Will handed to him he cupped his hands around it and tried not to think about what came next. But what did come next? He had to go to the beach house and collect his things; hopefully Libbet wouldn't be there, he wanted to avoid that discomfort.

But his mind was spiralling, too much was happening again. The last time he had simply ran from it, escaped from a life that was about to come crashing down upon him. It was tempting, just to find a bus or a train and ride it as far as it would take him, but that hadn't gotten him far the last time.

Brody banged through the front door, kicking off his boots as he talked into his cell phone, "Look I know I promised, yes I know... girl please!" he slammed the phone shut and tossed it onto the coffee table, "Women!" he complained loudly walking into the kitchen and pouring himself a strong cup of coffee.

The phone rang again and Brody shook his head, "Just ignore it." He said sipping his coffee watching the phone ring and flash for attention. "She'll give up..."

The phone fell silent and everyone in the room breathed a sigh of relief. Until the main line in the house began to ring. Brody looked angry, punching the speakerphone button, "Yes?" he asked forcibly.

The voice on the other end of the phone sounded almost childlike, "Brody, you shouldn't have hung up on me. We need to talk..."

"No, that's okay." Brody said, keeping his voice calm, almost tired.

Will shook his head and went back to cooking breakfast.

"I'm still breaking up with you." She said sounding resolute.

"Right," Brody said nodding to Will when Will held up the pan to offer him breakfast.

"It's just we're drifting apart," she emotion flooding her voice, like she was fighting back tears.

"Mmhmm," Brody said holding up two fingers when Will held up the eggs.

"I think we should see other people." She finally managed to get out.

"I think you're probably right," Brody sipped his coffee and rolled his eyes.

"But don't worry, I'll always love you.... And you'll find someone else." She sounded hopeful.

"Probably." Brody replied shaking his head as Will offered to scramble his eggs.

"We shouldn't dwell over long good byes they only hurt more." She said reluctantly.

"I agree. Well, good bye." He reached out and clicked off the phone, looking at each of them, "Never date from the Valley."

* * *

Will had driven Marc that afternoon, a short ride with the top of the jeep open. The sun was abnormally warm for spring and it was nice enough to drive in a jeep the way the jeep was meant to be driven, top open and doors off, wind whipping through the jacket and loud music playing. It splashed through the slush puddles as it rounded the narrow bends of the road down past the yacht club and small beach houses till it ground to a halt outside the small house he had shared with Libbet.

There was no sigh of her when he wandered through the empty rooms and began to gather his belongings. Will had left him alone, taking a walk over to the general store to find a cup of coffee, and Marc was glad of the privacy. Stuffing his bags as he loaded them onto the back of the Jeep returning for the rest of them, he didn't notice Lucas's car until it pulled to a stop blocking him in.

* * *

Will walked into the general store, wandering through the aisle idly looking for anything that appealed to him for lunch. But like with most things for sale in a convenience store, it was over priced and unappetizing. He settled for a couple of pre-made sandwiches in thick plastic wrappings and a couple of apples, he grabbed himself a cup of coffee from the coffee pot near the cash register and moved up to pay for it, oblivious to the hard stare the young man was giving him behind the counter.

More specifically the hard stare the guy was giving the Avery-Woods logo on his jacket. Will caught the stare and followed it to the logo; he looked back up at the clerk and frowned.

"What do you want?" the clerk demanded, an edge to his voice.

Will held up his sandwich and coffee, "Lunch."

"You know what I mean." The clerk accused, "Did my father send you?"

Will's eyebrows raised in open confusion, "Uh...who?"

The clerk pointed to the jacket, "My father, why did he send you here?"

Will shrugged, "Look all I want is to pay for this and I'll go, no one sent me here." He pulled out a twenty and set it down on the counter.

The clerk picked up the money, slamming open the cash register and ringing up the total, he stopped just before handing Will back his change, "tell my father that he can go fuck himself, I don't need anything from him."

Will sighed, "Look I don't even know who your dad is, I'm here to help a friend move," he reached up and took his change.

"I'm Tyrone Avery." The clerk said, "He's my dad."

Will hung his head, and his shoulders sagged, at the rate Robert was going he was destined for the dysfunctional family of the year award. He shook his head as he pushed open the door, "You know what?" he said as he paused in the door, and looked back at Tyrone, "I don't care."

* * *

The gun barrel swung wildly in his shaking hands, and Marc knew he was going to die. He swallowed staring into Lucas's eyes, keeping his hands up and breathing hard.

"We broke up." Marc repeated slowly, "You won, we're not together..."

"You're not so fucking tough now are you?" Lucas continued, he had to be high on something, his eyes were wild and he perspired like he had just run a marathon. He took a couple of steps forward then a couple back as he paced to and fro, the gun still on Marc. "What, you think your better than me? Better for her than me? Is that what it is?"

"We broke up," Marc said looking about him for a place to run to, but he was trapped between the house and the street by Lucas's car, there was nowhere to run to. "I wasn't good enough for her..." he tried desperately to reason with Lucas, buy some time.

"You're nothing," Lucas carried on as if Marc hadn't spoken, "A fucking drop out and a looser. I have money, I have a car, I have a fucking future!"

"And I don't!" Marc shot back, "I know that, you've won..."

"Shut up!" Lucas screamed as he lifted the gun, "just...fuck... you were never good enough for her, you didn't deserve her, I did!" he thumped his chest, the tears streaming down his face, "me!"

"Alright, your right!" Marc said desperation setting in, "What ever man, put the gun down!"

"You're shit, and your gonna pay for taking her from me," he stepped forward, "No one to save your ass this time..."

"Wrong." Will said, his hand looping up to push the gun upwards and push Lucas away from it, the movement was quick, concise and Will trained the gun on Lucas, glancing back at Marc and nodding, "Get up!" he commanded to Lucas, un-cocking the gun and putting it into his pocket. He stepped forward and bodily lifted Lucas to his feet, the kid was a wreck, a mess of tears and fear.

Will looked across the road to the store where Tyrone stood on the steps resting his arms on a rail watching. Will pushed Lucas over towards the store, dropping him on the steps. "One of yours?"

Tyrone looked down at the young man and back up at Will, "I'll take care of him."

"Good," Will stated as he returned to Lucas's car and moved it a few feet up the road.

Once they were in the Jeep and driving out of the Bluff's he looked over at his young passenger, who had withdrawn further into his shell. If he wasn't careful Marc would disappear completely. He needed to do something, something to show Marc a bit of hope. He reached into his pocket and drew out a couple of fifties and extended them.

"Here." He said with a sigh.

"What's this?" Marc asked turning his head.

"Go out tonight, do something, catch a movie or something, go to a bar, take your mind off all this shit going on." Will smiled, "you need the break."

"Will you come with me?" Marc asked, almost hopefully.

Will shook his head, "I have to go and make sure Robert's ok, and I'll catch up to you later. Here..." he handed Marc his cell phone, "I'll call you when I know what's happening."

Marc nodded sadly as he took the money, "Yeah."

Will studied the kid a moment and knew exactly what he was thinking.

Copyright © 2011 Topher_Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I have a suspicion that Tyrone is going to have a key part to play in the climax. Exactly what, I'm not sure, but the hints are there. Libbet said he and Marc needed to talk things out. Was Marc an old boyfriend of Tyrone?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..