Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 661 Words
  • 4,173 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's War - 39. Chapter 39

Tyrone swung his car he had borrowed up the gravel driveway to his father's house, the last chore of the night. Coming to a halt Will made to get out, but Tyrone caught his arm, holding him back a moment. They were alone, Brody and Marc had gone back to the house with the security car Will had talked Tyrone into accompanying him to give the signed papers to his father. He didn't trust his Jeep, and needed a drive.

He looked at Will a moment before speaking, "What we did tonight was wrong."

"Yep." Will replied with a tight sigh, "What we did was exactly what Weippert was doing to your father. Extorting a signature under threat."

"We took the law into our own hands." Tyrone said as his shoulder sagged.

"Justice," Will said, "In our own hands."

"And there's a difference?" Tyrone asked sincerely.

"He's free, unpunished and I doubt he will be employed by Avery-Woods in the morning, and I know that's not justice, not really, but he won't and can't hurt your family anymore. It's a fair trade in my mind."

Tyrone nodded as they entered the house.

Robert Avery was sitting up in his study despite the lateness of the hour, and he looked confused to see them, he stared at Tyrone for a long moment before he stood. "What's this about?" he asked looking directly at Will.

Will shrugged, "You taught me to think on my feet, and to be a bit more aggressive."

Tyrone pulled out the envelope of documents and handed them to his father who studied over them, before he set them down on the desk. "How did you get him to sign these?" he asked, still not believing his eyes.

"You don't want to know." Will replied.

"I doubt I should ask." Robert said seeing the look the two younger men exchanged.

"He's unhurt, and still breathing." Tyrone replied.

"And the police?" Avery asked turning to Will.

"No police," Will said, "We had to promise no police to get him to sign."

"A deals a deal I suppose." Robert said tiredly, "Can I fire him?"

"I would." Will said coldly, "I couldn't have done it with out your son." He clapped Tyrone on the shoulder, "I should leave you two to talk." He turned and left the house, calling for a cab to take him back to his home and the bed he so desperately craved.

* * *

He walked out of his office and looked about the floor, at his employees busying themselves with the day to day running of the staffing department of Avery-Woods Communications. The news that morning had contained a brief blurb that Robert Avery had shot down a shareholders move to replace him as the President of the company. To the world it was minor news, to the people that worked for the company it was a clear message that they were going to remain employed and protected.

There was renewed life to the building as Will rested on a cubical partition and looked over the bullpen. His employees worked hard and he was once again grateful that he had them. The news that Bruce Weippert had been fired and that Mary Connors had been awarded the Vice-presidency of operations really paled behind the fact that everything was going back to normal. The way he liked it.

Well perhaps not back to normal, he thought remembering that Marc had chosen to stay, to give Will a chance to figure out exactly what it was about those mischievous eyes he found so mysterious. In time the kid would sort himself out, find a job he liked or returned to school. And Will couldn't help himself but smile; they had gone through quite a bit for a fledgling relationship.

"Coffee boss?" Alicia offered extending his cup to him.

He accepted it with gratitude, "Thanks, call the staff together we have work to do."

THE END

Copyright © 2011 Topher_Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The climax of book 5 was really riveting. Your narrative development really evolves throughout the books. (I'm jealous) Thanks for posting.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

An appropriate and concise ending to an intriguing story. Thank you!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..