Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 1,765 Words
  • 3,594 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's War - 24. Chapter 24

Tuxedo and tails, a classic that had never truly been replaced since its conception in the mid-1800's. A classic elegance that could set a tone of style, and inject a flare of grace into any social affair. Robert adjusted the tartan silk bow tie about his neck that matched his waistcoat, aware that he genuinely preferred the thick material's lines to that of a dressy suit. Somehow it felt right to him, as if in another lifetime he had been bred to it. Overtop his greatcoat, balanced across his shoulders, received a light dusting of the snow that had began to fall across the city, in time for the Tri-Tech party.

He got out of the car and walked up the steps to his house; it felt odd his arriving to his own party like a guest, but he had decided to get ready at the office leaving the caterers time to get everything prepared.

Behind him other guests were beginning to arrive, and Robert waited patiently for Lisa to check with the caterers that all was ready before he was admitted. Pomp and ceremony non-withstanding, Lisa never took a day off from her job, even though she had taken the time to don a striking black number, sequined and shimmering.

She took a moment to smile at him as he stood close to the door greeting guests as they arrived. A lot rode on this party, and Robert knew that everything had been building to that night. With the Avery-Woods shareholders meeting due on Tuesday he wanted to have the Tri-Tech deal resolved. He didn't like to feel so exposed, and despite Bruce's insistences that he had the deal well in hand, Robert knew he couldn't sit idle.

The party started quickly, the rooms filling up with his guests and Robert Avery moved away from the doors to circle the room with Lisa, trying to get a feel for who the key players were that had decided to attend. He hoped Rena Allison would arrive early so that he could bring his own charisma to bear.

They had set up a large dance floor in the main floor, almost a stage for the dancers to display their skills, and Robert was vaguely surprised to see Bruce Weippert in what could only be described as an eccentric taste in clothing.

"Elton John..." he murmured, remembering something about the musical icon and his outrageous outfits. It had to be a stunt; he was trying to draw attention to himself.

"I beg your pardon?" Lisa asked, straining to see what the old man was staring at.

Robert moved aside so that she could get a better view of the John Travolta moves. Weippert was quite agile for his age, moving in perfect unison to the two women who escorted him. The beat of the music made them sway as people formed a circle around the dance floor and clapped along. Lisa rolled her eyes as she watched.

"I think he looks ridiculous," she sniffed.

"He's doing his job," Robert said as he scanned the crowd. It would put the Tri-Tech stockholders at ease if they felt he was eccentric; give them an attitude of superiority over him, hopefully underestimating him in the process. It was clever.

Will Carter on the other hand looked smartly appropriate in his tuxedo, as always wearing a practical waistcoat rather than the cummerbund that was popular. Typical of Will, he always seemed to prefer practicality over style; it was something Robert respected about the young man.

Will nodded to him as he joined them, Lisa grinning and fussing with his collar. "It's a fantastic party," Will stated, holding up his glass of champagne.

"Let's hope it does the trick," Robert conceded. "Have you seen Ms. Allison?"

Will pointed and Robert turned. Rena looked resplendent as she moved through the crowd, and caught his eye. She smiled as she stepped forward. Robert returned the polite smile as he nudged Will, "Ask her to dance."

Will blinked. "Me?" he asked in surprise.

Robert smiled at Rena. "You look amazing," he said with a warm smile to her. "Allow me to introduce my assistant, Mrs Sternosti, and my Director of Human Resources, Mister Carter."

Rena Allison shook both their hands, "I must say, Robert, it's wonderful of you to invite us to your home like this."

"A way of welcoming Tri-Tech to the Avery-Woods family," Robert said warmly. "Mr. Carter was just commenting to me that he lacked a dancing partner..."

Will wondered where being fed to cougars was in his job description.

"That would be wonderful," Rena beamed, appraisingly looking Will over. "Do you tango?"

Somehow Will knew he was about to be given a crash course, and he smiled at Robert, secretly vowing to hire a drag queen to replace Lisa when she went on maternity leave.

"Tango," The old man stated as he turned to the brass band.

She arched an eyebrow at him and accepted Will's pre-offered hand, "Alright, Mister Carter."

The passionate music stirred as the dance floor cleared to allow him and the President of Tri-tech room to move into its centre. The music swept up as the two set and began the overextended motions of a tango.

The pair had a reputation by now of being excellent dancers and they moved like liquid across the floor as the music increased its timbre. Will kept his eyes locked on his partner as he swept her back and pulled her close to him. It was exciting, and exhilarating, and Will was eighteen again, at his prom, sweeping Andrew off of his feet. He was lost in a sea of memories, and barely noticed the laughter that he was offering out.

As the music changed to a Scottish jig, the two dancers separated and he began to move his feet faster. Will's family had a strong Scottish history and these dances had been entertainment at Christmas celebrations he'd been to when he had been growing up. He was moving by pure instinct now, aware that there were other dances spiralling around the two in the centre, forming the intricate patterns that could be observed from the upper balcony. The old man swept off his tuxedo jacket, preferring his shirtsleeves and the textured black waistcoat underneath. Twirling and spinning in unison, Rena's dress flared out as she kept time with him.

She smiled at him charmingly, studying his eyes as they both moved, "You are a fantastic dancer, Mister Carter."

"I've only just begun," he stated as he spun her out and collected her in again. He glanced over at Robert Avery who nodded to him, "I wanted to talk to you about your shares in Tri-Tech."

She looked at him confused for a moment as she followed his steps effortlessly, "I don't know what you mean."

The effort of keeping up with the dance distracted him a moment but as it slowed he came in close to her again, "The sale of your shares in Tri-Tech, I understand you're holding out for a better offer."

She frowned at him, "No, Mister Carter, I reached an agreement with your Mister Weippert. As far as I am concerned Tri-Tech is a subsidiary of Avery-Woods."

He smiled at her warmly, looking over to where Weippert was talking to a group of businessmen. When had he found the time to convince her to sell? Why hadn't he mentioned it before? There were a hundred questions that flashed through his mind, but one underlying fact remained, Tri-Tech was his well ahead of the shareholder's deadline. Bruce did a double take as he realized who was dancing with Ms. Allison, a dark scowl flooding across his face.

Will smiled. "Well, in that case I should probably let Robert know so he can make the announcement tonight."

* * *

The soft chamber music drifted lazily across the comfortable lounge area, and it flowed around him like liquid. Robert sat in an overstuffed chair staring out of the great windows over Lake Ontario. A long-stemmed glass of Cabernet Sauvignon was pinched between his fingers almost forgotten, as he sat there unmoving. He sat as still as his thoughts, content only to sit and stare, refusing to acknowledge the world that screamed for his personal attention. For a time he had no responsibilities, save those to himself.

He had retreated there after the dance with Rena Allison, and he sat there, still dressed in his tuxedo, the black silk bow tie undone. He sat tiredly for a while contemplating the small victory he had achieved that night. His company would be his again first thing on Monday morning, in perfect time for the shareholders meeting the following day.

The Tri-Tech merger would change things for his company; finally he would have development and production all in the same place, in one firm. It was another step closer to making Avery-Woods self-reliant and breaking the grip that the American economy and American' suppliers had on Canadian companies. It really was a victory for him, and he relaxed his shoulders slightly as he watched the snow falling, winter's last counterattack on spring.

He would have to promote Weippert after the success, name him as the Vice-President of Operations; after all he had been instrumental in the whole deal. The future of Avery-Woods after Robert decided to retire. But that wouldn't be for a while yet, and a lot could happen in a few years.

"Am I disturbing you?" Weippert asked from the door to the lounge and Robert turned slightly; the party was still in full swing, and by all rights he should be down there entertaining his guests, but he had desired a moment to savour his victory.

"Not at all," Robert said as he stood up adjusting his waistcoat. "I believe congratulations are in order."

"Congratulations?" Weippert asked cautiously.

"Yes, Will Carter just told me you managed to convince Rena Allison to part with her shares. Good job by the way..."

A strange look passed over Weippert's face, immediately dispelled by a broad smile, "Of course, the deal was concluded tonight, Avery-Woods now has a controlling share in Tri-Tech."

Avery scanned the other man's face, "I would have thought you would be happier, you managed to pull it off after all."

Weippert nodded, "Yes...I'm just tired, it has been a very stressful week. I take it you will be making the announcement tonight?"

"Of course," Robert said setting his glass down. "Along with the announcement of your promotion to vice-president, congratulations."

The two men shook hands firmly.

Copyright © 2011 Topher_Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

The crucial question of when she sold the shares hasn't been asked yet. I wonder when that piece of information will come to light.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..