Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 1,012 Words
  • 3,667 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's War - 37. Chapter 37

Will went to work; he was arriving late but didn't particularly care. Things had changed so much since for him that it was as if he was looking through the eyes of a complete stranger; distant, dispassionate. He looked at familiar faces; familiar places and they held a different meaning for him.

Alicia was sitting at her desk as she watched him cross the floor toward her; staring at him sadly and he wished he could bring her into it, to tell her what was going on. But even if he did she wouldn't be able to help, she would try, but he doubted there was anything he could do besides worrying her.

He smiled at her tightly, "I'm going to be upstairs for a while, if anyone calls tell them I will get back to them."

He stepped into his office and changed into his suit jacket, and slipping on his tie. He didn't particularly care that it was crooked, or that he looked rushed. He walked back across the floor sparing a glance at the team board; despite his distraction lately they were doing well. He had a good staff that worked hard for him. The least he could do was work hard for them.

He met Sam Conner's coming out of the elevator, the young recruiter stepping aside to let him passed

"That coffee?" Will asked pointing to an unopened cup of Tim Horton's coffee in Sam's hands.

Before Sam could answer Will took it from him, opening it and taking a sip as he pushed the button for the executive floor. He raised the cup in a salute to the protesting recruiter as the doors slid shut and he ascended to the executive floor, sipping the coffee as he mentally preparing himself for the showdown to come.

He swallowed the last of the coffee as he stepped out, ready to do battle.

The secretary tried to stop him as he marched past her towards Weippert's office, but he ignored her protests and barged into the office anyway.

He strode purposefully into the centre of the room and saw Weippert standing at the windows looked up angrily at the interruption. The wolf in their midst.

"I'm sorry sir, he just went right past me..." the secretary seemed helpless.

Weippert looked past Will, "It's alright Nina, go back to your desk." As the door closed Bruce turned his full attention back to the interruption, "What do you want Will."

Will stuffed his hands into his pockets and crossed to before the desk, "I'm going to the police."

Weippert started, and went pale.

Will capitalized on the moment to continue;"You may think that you should get away with blackmail and attempted murder, but I don't." he looked over at Weippert who was turning red with rage.

"You can't." Weippert said with an even tone, though his hand shook perceptibly.

Will shrugged, "I can, and I will. If Robert signs those papers tomorrow morning me and my entire staff will be laid off, really I have nothing to loose." He looked up at Weippert again, "I can't let you get away with it. He signs and I go to the police first thing in the morning and tell them everything I know."

"I'll deny it." Weippert said with venom, "you have no proof."

"It doesn't matter if I have proof." Will replied, his voice was dangerously calm, "It'll be enough to convince the shareholders to delay their vote. And once Robert knows I am going to the police with or without his permission he will never sign the company over to you."

Weippert swallowed his eyes flicking too and fro as if he were trying to decide if Will was serious. His smile went broad as he made a decision. "You have nothing." He said calling Will's bluff neatly, "Get the hell out of my office."

Will smiled inwardly, "Tomorrow Bruce, I'm serious about that. If Robert signs I go to the police and I will have you thrown in jail."

He turned and stalked out of the office, slamming the door shut with a well-practiced motion.

He breathed tightly; he was forcing Weippert's hand and that was risky, but Will had little choice. When he returned to his floor he returned to his office and settled in, stroking his chin as he stared out of the window, the question was now how to give Bruce an opportunity to do something. With the pressure on, Weippert would have to act to do something about Will before could talk to Robert that evening. The secluded executive parking lot was the most likely place for an ambush and Both Weippert and Will knew it well.

Will reached out to tap his intercom, "Alicia I need a favour from you."

"Yeah boss?" she asked quietly, "what do you need?"

"I need you to tell Nina that I am going to be working after hours tonight."

She hesitated, "Boss?"

Will smiled, "Be discreet Alicia, I just need her to know."

"Ok Boss." Alicia said, confusion evident in her voice, "I'll let her know."

"Thanks." Will clicked off the phone and turned back to his desk, "alright you son of a bitch lets see if you like a little of your own medicine." He picked up the phone and dialled an old friend.

Andrew Highmore answered, "Hello?"

Will paused, taking a deep breath at the familiar voice, had it really only been a year that they had been separated? Had it been six months since they had last spoken? It seemed like an eternity. "Andrew, it's me."

"Will, are you okay?" Andrew asked, the concern evident in his voice.

"No," Will confessed, "I need your help."

"Anything." Andrew said without hesitation listening as Will explained what he needed.

"I can draft something and have it emailed to you in a couple of hours."

"Thank you," Will said tapping his pen on the table, "I- I mean that, thank you"

Andrew sounded tired, "Any time Will, you know that... and Will... don't be a stranger..."

Copyright © 2011 Topher_Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

There's more of the Major in Will than he maybe willing to admit. Will is planning a military campaign against an enemy, and that enemy doesn't know what Will is capable of doing.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..