Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 761 Words
  • 3,924 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's War - 21. Chapter 21

Lisa Sternosti marched through the same door first thing on Monday morning, Avery detected the self-satisfied smile playing across her face, and the all encompassing sinking feeling began to form in the pit of his stomach.

"I just got a call from downstairs, John Jennings is on the way up."

Avery's smile was forced, "Excellent, on schedule as well."

"You knew?"

"I guessed." Avery drew out his watch, "3...2...1..." The doors parted and John Jennings marched briskly into the centre of the large room. "Welcome John, how can I help you today."

"Well, sir" his voice sounding short and gruff, "As I understand my responsibilities, I am to ensure that ethical practices are maintained in this company and to ensure that you don't do anything that could get you thrown in Jail. I was wondering how I am supposed to do my job efficiently when you disregard Canadian law at every turn."

Avery leaned back into his high backed chair watching the John with a bemused smile on his face.

"You directly violated the law by liquidating a corporate pension fund and using it as collateral with a brokerage firm. How can anyone propose to maintain order in this company and be the last defence for enforcement of company ethical practices with this kind of behaviour coming directly from the top echelons? Perhaps you should take another look at this..."

The lawyer, barely containing himself, tossed the hefty tome onto Avery's desk. The cover read corporate charters & laws.

"Perhaps staring at a computer monitor all day has inhibited your ability to absorb the very core of what this company was built upon. Maybe this hard copy will allow you the time to peruse it more carefully and absorb and understand what this Firm was built on..."

John tried not to let his bias against electronic media seep into his job too much, but this time he could not help himself.

"According to my files, sir, you have a clear record of disregarding regulations at your convenience.... Yet you finally stepped forward and claimed this was all going to change when you hired me. Still, your record holds true. You continue to disregard regulations at every turn. Sir, if this continues, I may be forced to bring you up on charges. This I avoid now for the interests of the company as a whole. It would not look good to charge the President of the company with violations of the law, especially considering all the futures on the line. However, I give you notice, sir, with all due respect, that I must do my job. I have been commissioned by you to do a job, and I feel obligated to follow through on a commitment that I have made."

John took a step back, and folded his arms behind his back, standing at ease. He waited to hear a response from the man with whom he both respected for his leadership and maligned for his methods. The lawyer waited quietly...

Avery licked his lips and looked down at the tome sitting squarely where it had fallen with a satisfying thumb in front of him. Throwing a glance up at the lawyer he suppressed the smile and nodded gravely at the John. "I understand that we broke the law, but the pension fund will be replaced before the end of the week, if you would like I will take steps to ensure that it is covered by allocating an equal value in Avery-Woods stock to the pension fund, which I will have the option to buy back at the original purchase price at the time of my choosing."

John nodded, "That would be acceptable, the shares will be at the disposal of the board of trustees for the pension fund and I will draft the appropriate papers this afternoon."

Robert Avery steepled his fingers, "Good, of course I want it in writing that my signature is required before that stock can be sold on the open market, a small guarantee."

John nodded again, "Yours and a representative from the board of trustees." He smiled in relief, "That should sort out the pension problem."

"Good," Avery lifted the codex of laws and regulations, "I will take your advice and read this, on the condition that if it looks like I am about to break a law, that you do exactly as you just did. My job is to protect the foundation of principles we have been built upon, if I forget that then our purpose no longer stands. Thank you John."

Copyright © 2011 Topher_Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I was pretty sure what they did was illegal. I'm glad to see it confirmed. What's needed, though, is to make sure the people responsible are clear, and that's Bruce and Gavin.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..