Jump to content
    totallyy
  • Author
  • 1,102 Words
  • 1,030 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tomorrow, I Promise. - 1. Chapter 1

span>Prompt 259 - The tests are conclusive. You have only six months till you go into space on a twenty year mission. It is top secret and you don’t know if you will see any of your family or friends again as this mission is an attempt to save the earth. How do you go about saying your last goodbyes?

Half a year; six months; one hundred and eighty-one days; four thousand three hundred and forty-four hours; two hundred and sixty thousand, six hundred and forty minutes; fifteen million, six hundred and thirty-eight thousand and four hundred seconds…

That is all I have left, I mused as I fingered the edge of the letter repetitively, picking at the creased dog-eared paper.

“I’m home!” a voice announced, accompanied by shuffling feet and the slamming shut of the front door.

I shoved the source of conflict back into its envelope, sliding it under my pillow. I crossed the room and watch arms stretch to place a bottle of mustard onto the top shelf, through the doorway. A swath of pale skin peeked out from under the hem of his shirt, a playful seduction.

Ryan.

My feet picked up pace, my arms poised. Closing them around his lean waist, I pressed up urgently against him. A playful smile inched across his rosebud lips and his eyes locked onto mine, wide in pleasant surprise. I tangled my fingers into his chestnut hair and pulled his lips onto mine, crushing them with the weight of our inevitable parting. A bottle of mustard tumbled to the ground.

“My, my, feeling a little frisky are we?” he panted, a flush rising to his cheeks.

“I just can’t help it,” I teased, a cold tentacle of guilt slithering around my throat.

“Well, if you want to eat, then you’re going to have to wait,” he said, as he turned back to arranging the groceries on the shelf.

He bent over to pick up the bottle lying flat on the ground, pinned to it by invisible gravity.

“Ryan,” I said.

“Yep?” he replied, as he looked up at me from his half crouch, grey eyes sucking me in.

The tentacle squeezed hard.

“I love you,” I said.

“Me too babe,” he said, picking up the mustard.

Standing on his feet, he pecked my lips lightly.

“Me too,” he repeated, as he tangled his fingers in mine.

***

Grey as a cloudy sky, I thought as I watched the colour pale and darken in the flickering candlelight.

“What?” Ryan asked, exasperated.

“Your eyes are just so beautiful,” I said, imagining the storm clouds that would appear when he found out. They would gather in clusters, accumulating moisture until they could bear their own weight no more.

“Seriously?” he asked, cocking an eyebrow, “It’s not like I don’t appreciate it and all but the candles, the sappy compliments?”

“You don’t have to try so hard to get into my pants, you know?” he teased, waggling his eyebrows.

A chuckle escaped me.

“I know that you’re easy,” I flirted.

“Hey!” he protested in mock offence.

“But you deserve it all: flowers and candlelit dinners, and to be reminded that you’re the most beautiful person. You deserve to be loved by someone who would give up the world to be with you,” I said.

“Like you?” he teased.

Someone not me, I thought.

I smirked.

“Oh god! I should’ve known I married a cheeseball,” he complained.

“Yes, you did,” I said, twisting the gold band on my finger.

***

I watched her stare at me with judgement.

Tell him, she whispered urgently in my ear.

I held her gaze, unwilling to be forced into submission.

“Hey spaceman,” Ryan whispered in my ear, “Close the windows and come to bed.”

“Just a minute,” I said.

“Fine, but draw the blackout curtains when you’re done. The radiation will kill you,” he sighed.

It’ll kill us all, I finished the thought as his footsteps echoed against the hollow floors.

I looked at her once more, glowing lightly, a silent assassin in the night. I pulled the blackout curtains together, and darkness fell.

***

“We’re all going to die, aren’t we?” he whispered, his lean back pressed against my chest.

“No, you’re not going to die,” I said, “I won’t let you.”

“You can’t be sure of that,” he said, his voice small and frail.

I am sure, I asserted in my mind, as I pulled him closer into my embrace.

“I’m just glad that you’re with me as we hurtle helplessly into the sun,” he joked, but his voice was tinged with a profound sadness.

Paper crackled loudly under my head as I adjusted myself. His warmth pressed against me as I held him tightly. Burying my nose into his neck, I inhaled deeply, trying to memorise the notes that composed this familiar scent. Sadness tugged at me insistently, but I raged hard against it: a war of many that I had to champion.

I nipped lightly at the delicate skin, teasing the light hairs on his chest with my fingers, trailing them down onto his abdomen: feeling the ridges tense with anticipation. A moan rumbled from deep beneath his throat. I rolled him around to face me. I studied every inch of his face: committing every pore and hair to memory. His hand grasped the side of my face as he pulled me into him: teeth clashing against mine, tongues wrestling in urgency.

He pinned me on my back and sat atop me, leaning forward to leave a trail of bruises down my jaw and collarbone. I stared at the dark ceiling: pleasure, pain and anticipation rotating. Sheets knotted around us as we danced into the dawn: the sound of paper crackling at every movement.

***

Tell him, she scolded.

I looked over my shoulder at the sleeping form she illuminated: brushing up against his pale skin, caressing his dark hair, casting shadows under his eyelashes. I took a step into the light and away from him.

“Fuck you,” I cussed under my breath.

“Fuck you!”

A cold laughter rang in my ears, mocking me. Tears slid down my cheeks, dripping onto the ground, glistening quietly in her bastardly light.

“Fuck you,” I whispered.

You still have to tell him, she mocked in between her menacing cackle.

I looked back at his sleeping frame once more, rising and falling with his rhythmic breathing.

My insides twisted, and the tentacles of guilt and weight of sadness piled atop of them.

I crawled back under the covers. The crackling of paper attacked me as I lay my head down. I shifted to rest my chin on his shoulder.

“Everything alright?” he asked, voice rough with sleep.

I buried my face into his neck and touched my lips gently to the bruised skin.

Tomorrow, I promise, I told myself.

And it will break him, her voice filtered through the dark curtains, her blood-curling laughter echoing into my nightmares.

span>Prompt 259 - The tests are conclusive. You have only six months till you go into space on a twenty year mission. It is top secret and you don’t know if you will see any of your family or friends again as this mission is an attempt to save the earth. How do you go about saying your last goodbyes?
Copyright © 2013 totallyy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a sad chapter. How does one go about telling your mate that hey yeah I'm leaving in six months and I may or may not ever see you again. Only thing is these mission are only for the highly decoratd or schooled people so really it would be not so much of a surprise right??

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Aw, totallyy! That was really pretty and emotional. You captured the situation well!

Link to comment

I love your beautiful writing, but that was so damn saddening. How would you tell the one you love that you are leaving? :,(:worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/03/2013 07:56 AM, Daithi said:
What a sad chapter. How does one go about telling your mate that hey yeah I'm leaving in six months and I may or may not ever see you again. Only thing is these mission are only for the highly decoratd or schooled people so really it would be not so much of a surprise right??
thank you for the review! :)

 

but it's a top secret mission. it's so sad though. my heart breaks for them both. :,(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/03/2013 06:01 PM, said:
Aw, totallyy! That was really pretty and emotional. You captured the situation well!
Thank you myi for the review!

 

I felt emotional writing it. :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/04/2013 05:38 AM, joann414 said:
I love your beautiful writing, but that was so damn saddening. How would you tell the one you love that you are leaving? :,(:worship:
thanks joann for the review. :thankyou:

 

it was so sad. that's exactly how though. that's how i'd feel all the time. i tried to imagine how i'd deal with it and this story is probably accurate for me. :,(

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This mission is a bit like a fatal diagnosis, isn't it? The way that the news itself will

change things almost as much as the event itself. You portray this damning situation

beautifully, showing how the most beautiful things in life are so fragile and ephemeral.

Who can blame him for waiting to give the news that will ruin everything?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/05/2013 09:27 AM, Stephen said:
This mission is a bit like a fatal diagnosis, isn't it? The way that the news itself will

change things almost as much as the event itself. You portray this damning situation

beautifully, showing how the most beautiful things in life are so fragile and ephemeral.

Who can blame him for waiting to give the news that will ruin everything?

i think waiting for separation might be even more painful than separation. it looms over you like a giant eclipse.

thank you so much for the praise.

i'm really glad you enjoyed it!

:D Thank you for the review!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..