Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,365 Words
  • 2,325 Views
  • 36 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2016 - Summer - Wicked Games Entry

Bewitched - 1. Bewitched

"What sort of wicked game are you playing on me?” I murmured into my lover’s neck, kissing him just below his ear.

His cheek muscles flexed beneath my hand, lifting into a smile that never failed to send shivers coursing through my body.

“’Tis no game, my love.”

“You have enchanted me as sure as any warlock.”

He frowned and paused, leaving me feeling delightfully full, but aching for movement. “Don’t say such things, even in jest. If anyone heard—”

My lips on his interrupted his speech. “If anyone caught us, I’d be more concerned about you.”

He thrust into me, as if for emphasis, and his mouth on mine put an end to our conversation. I arched upward, clenching my hands into his back, lost in the sensations the larger man drew from my body. We were too lost in our lovemaking to hear the footfalls on the hayloft’s ladder.

“Samuel? Daniel said you were in the barn. Are you up here?” The look on Timothy’s face when he beheld our position—me on my back, legs wrapped around my lover as he thrust into me rapidly—was all I needed to see to know our fate.

 

The slam of a door brought me back to the present. The constable scurried down the path, his face contorted into a grimace. His stilted gait told me that the herbs—which I knew to have a laxative effect—I had slipped into the water bucket outside the jail were doing their job. He had his pants unbuttoned and lowered before he even entered the outhouse. I would have found the sight comical had the circumstances not been so dire.

I opened the door and slid into the constable’s station quietly. I had been surveilling the place for over five hours so was sure there was only one other person inside. One that I hoped posed no threat, although after my actions toward him I wasn’t entirely sure.

The station was dimly lit with lantern light, but I could easily discern the shadowy figure huddled in the back of the cell to the far right. One word echoed throughout my mind as I approached. Guilty. The verdict of the jurors and the emotion I felt as I beheld the filthy man regarding me with an even stare.

“Where are the keys?” I whispered.

“What are you doing here, Samuel?” Oscar’s voice sounded tired and held little emotion.

“There’s no time for explanations. Where are the keys?”

He gestured toward the constable’s desk. I couldn’t believe my luck that they were sitting right on top, in plain view. I grabbed them and fumbled with the ring, trying each one in succession, getting more and more frustrated with each key that refused to turn the lock. The sixth key proved correct, and I opened the creaky door, flying toward the motionless man.

“Are you all right? Can you move?”

Oscar nodded. “Aye. I can move.”

I held my hand out. “Then let’s go. We don’t have much time.”

“I’m weak, Samuel. They haven’t been feeding me much. I guess it’s not worth wasting the food on a dead man.”

“I have a horse waiting. We need to leave now!”

“Why should I trust you?”

“Think about the past two years and ask me that question again.”

“All I have to think about is the past two weeks.”

I hung my head in shame. “I deserved that. There will be plenty of time for apologies later, but not if we don’t leave immediately.”

Oscar finally took my outstretched hand and rose shakily. I arranged his bedclothes so it looked like a man still occupied the cell, at least from a distance. I slid my arm around his waist, offering what support I could, and we exited the building. I guided him toward the woods east of town. I had tethered my horse about a mile away, fearful that any closer would draw unwanted attention.

Oscar was breathing heavily and relying completely on my support to remain upright by the time we reached my faithful bay gelding. I helped him into the saddle, then swung up behind him. I wrapped both my arms around him and headed south. It was imperative that we put as much distance as we could between us and Salem as quickly as possible. I hoped we still had time before Oscar’s absence was discovered and even more time before they found our trail.

My bay horse was sturdy, but bearing two grown men at speed meant he would tire quickly. I had been unable to procure a second steed without arousing suspicion. I had enough money in my saddlebags to purchase a second horse once we were well away from Salem. I would also need to trade my gelding for another horse. He had served me well but was easily recognizable as mine.

The rhythm of my horse’s footfalls was almost hypnotic in my tired state. The exhilaration of the escape was starting to wane, leaving me almost as exhausted as the man slumped in my arms. The events of the past fortnight seemed like a living nightmare. I relived them daily. It wasn’t bad enough that the man I loved was condemned to die in the witch trials, but it was my fault he was there in the first place. I had newfound empathy for Judas Iscariot, although it wasn’t a kiss that betrayed my lover, but rather words. I wasn’t sure which was worse.

 

“Timothy says he heard you speak of enchantment, Samuel. Is this true?” Constable Smythe asked.

I nodded. “Aye, ‘tis true.”

“So you admit that your actions are the result of being bewitched by Oscar Milford?”

I shifted in my seat. I thought of Oscar’s sky-blue eyes locked onto mine as we made love. I was captivated every time I looked into the azure orbs which were as deep as any ocean. He made me feel loved, wanted, and safe. Which made my next words all the more horrific. “Aye, he bewitched me.”

The constable stood and placed a hand on my shoulder. “You are very brave, Samuel. I can only imagine the terror you must have felt. This is enough to bring him to trial to stand for his crimes.”

I sat in numb silence as the constable left my house, thinking ‘What have I done?’

 

It started raining two hours into our flight. It was both a blessing and a curse. It slowed our progress due to the darkness now pervading the forest we rode through. It wasn’t long before Oscar and I were both soaked to the bone. He shivered in my arms, and I drew my cloak around him, hoping to lend him some of my warmth, as limited as it was. I hoped the rain would wash away our footprints and confuse the dogs they were sure to have after us. About an hour after that, we came upon a stream. I steered the horse into the water, hoping to further confound any searchers who made it that far.

When the skies started to lighten with the first glimpse of dawn, it was clear that we had to stop and rest. The horse was breathing heavily from his double-burden, and Oscar shivered uncontrollably in my arms. He had lapsed into unconsciousness hours ago and was becoming more difficult to keep in the saddle.

I found a small clearing near an outcropping of rock and slid to the ground. Oscar followed before I was ready, and we collapsed in a tangled heap. He awoke; however, he was delirious from lack of food, the cold, or most likely the combination of all he had suffered. I set him against the rock forming the back wall of the clearing, then tended to the horse. I grabbed some provisions from the saddlebag and sat next to my former lover, drawing him close underneath my cloak.

I couldn’t risk a fire drawing unwanted attention, so we would have to suffer with the damp and cold. The rain had finally ceased, but it would be a long time before we would dry. Oscar remained awake long enough to consume some water, cheese, and bread before lapsing back into unconsciousness. It didn’t take long for me to join him.

 

The snap of a twig brought me instantly awake. The sun shone brightly overhead, which meant we had slept for hours. Longer than I had intended. My hand slowly went to my side, feeling for my knife. Oscar was curled against my side, still sleeping. The bay showed no sign of nervousness, eating what grass he could find on the bare forest floor. The rustle of leaves drew my attention to my left, and I breathed a sigh of relief when a doe made eye contact with me, then bounded away.

Oscar stirred and opened his eyes. “What’s wrong, Samuel? You’re acting like you’re on tenterhooks.”

“I heard a noise in the forest, but it was just a deer. How are you feeling?”

“Better now that I’ve had rest and some food. I still feel weak, though.”

“We’ve tarried too long. We need to keep moving.” I started to rise, but Oscar’s hand on my arm prevented me.

“We need to talk.”

“We can talk on the road. I didn’t mean to sleep for so long. I have no doubt your absence has been discovered by now. They’ll be after us.”

“Samuel….”

I stood and held out my hand. Oscar hesitated for a moment, then took my hand and rose.

 

The muffled sound of the horse’s footfalls on the still-sodden carpet of leaves was accompanied by the occasional call of bird or beast. It wasn’t a relaxing silence. Oscar was tense in my arms, and I contemplated what words I could say to ease his pain. I feared there were none.

I tightened my arms around him, and his back stiffened against me. I exhaled, my breath blowing his fair brown hair slightly away from his ear. I felt the shiver that passed through him. “Oscar…I’m sorry, love,” I whispered. “I know it’s not enough, but it’s all I have.” A hot tear slid down my cheek and landed on my arm.

“The Lord tells us we should forgive…although my faith has been sorely tested by the actions of more than a few lately.”

“I don’t expect you to forgive me. I don’t deserve it after what I did. I just want you to know that a piece of my heart died with every word I uttered.”

Oscar was silent for so long I thought he had fallen asleep again. “Forgiveness is something that takes time. I can’t forgive you right now”—he inhaled, holding his breath briefly before letting his breath out in a slow, steady stream—“but I love you and am not ready to give up on you yet. Betray me again, and there won’t be a third chance.”

I tightened my arms around him and buried my face in his neck. “Thank you,” I whispered.

 

Our ride was less strained after our brief talk. Oscar relaxed in my arms and fell asleep. His body needed more time to recover from the neglect he’d suffered at the hands of his jailors. The feeling of his back pressed against my chest, and the steady rise and fall of his ribcage only confirmed that I had made the right decision in rescuing him. I drew him even closer and kissed the side of his head. I was determined not to lose him again. If we were caught, then we would perish together, for I had no desire to live a life without him.

The bay raised his head and swiveled his ears. A moment later I heard what had drawn the beast’s attention, and my heart thudded in alarm. The baying of dogs meant that our scent had been detected. It was only a matter of time before they caught us. They doubtlessly outnumbered us and also had fresher, faster horses. If they caught us, I was determined it would not be without a fight.

“Oscar! Wake up!” I whispered harshly as I spurred our steed into a fast canter.

He straightened in the saddle. “What’s wrong?”

“Hounds! They’ve found our trail!” The baying was louder and more insistent.

“Stop the horse.”

“They’ll find us for sure! We need to keep moving if we are to have any chance!”

“They’ll catch us anyway. Stop the horse.” He placed a hand on my arm. “Trust me, my love.”

I reluctantly pulled the tired bay to a stop.

“Turn him to face north.”

I did as instructed, although I was sick with dread. Was he planning on betraying me as I had him? The bay shifted beneath us, tossing his head, and chewed rapidly on the bit. The incessant barking of the hounds was so close I expected them to burst into sight at any moment. I wanted to trust the man I loved, but my instinct was telling me that the only way to protect him was to run. Oscar lifted his hands and closed his eyes, chanting lowly in what sounded like Latin. The baying of the hounds ceased as he slumped forward in the saddle. I tightened my arms, steadying him.

“Oscar?”

“We’re safe now. They’ll be following numerous false trails.”

“What did you do?”

He placed his hand over mine and twisted to look at me, a curious expression on his face. “Samuel, I forgive you. I can’t bear a grudge against a man who has spoken the truth.”

My eyes widened. “You mean you did enchant me? Our relationship has all been because of a spell?”

He laughed. “No, my darling. Our love is real. If anyone has done the enchanting in this relationship, it is you who bewitched me. Your love has made life worth living.”

“I don’t want to spend another day without you. The past fortnight is something I never want to experience again.”

He slouched slightly, leaning even closer to me. “Nor I.”

I kissed him, then headed down the trail to our new life.

A huge thanks to Cole and Cia for their input with this story. Please leave a review and let me know how you liked it. :) Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2016 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2016 - Summer - Wicked Games Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I absolute loved this! You actually had me guessing right up to the end. When Oscar asked for the horse to be turned around, I thought he was going to give himself up as a sacrifice for the boy he loved. How marvelous that you took a different route I didn't see coming! Thanks for the read!

Link to comment

I loved it too, Val! What an awesome story! My heart was in my mouth when the dogs were getting closer.

 

Wow, what a surprise ending! I didn't see that one coming! lol

 

When I read your title, the only thing that kept popping up in my mind was Samantha from Bewitched, twitching her little nose, and doing her little magic. :P Omg, I can seriously hear the theme song in my head!!!!!

Link to comment

I really liked this story. I was holding my breath when Samuel snuck in to the constable's station to free his beloved. They Managed to leave Salem, good for them !
Thanks, Penguin :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/10/2016 12:14 PM, Cynus said:

I absolute loved this! You actually had me guessing right up to the end. When Oscar asked for the horse to be turned around, I thought he was going to give himself up as a sacrifice for the boy he loved. How marvelous that you took a different route I didn't see coming! Thanks for the read!

Thanks for the review, Cynus :) I'm glad I was able to keep you guessing and that you liked the ending. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/10/2016 01:05 PM, Lisa said:

I loved it too, Val! What an awesome story! My heart was in my mouth when the dogs were getting closer.

 

Wow, what a surprise ending! I didn't see that one coming! lol

 

When I read your title, the only thing that kept popping up in my mind was Samantha from Bewitched, twitching her little nose, and doing her little magic. :P Omg, I can seriously hear the theme song in my head!!!!!

LOL Yes, the "Bewitched" theme song and Chris Issak's "Wicked Game" kept playing in my head when I was writing this. lol I'm glad you liked it, Lisa. I'm happy that I was able to surprise everyone with the ending. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/10/2016 10:43 PM, Arazon said:

The opening sequence left me on edge, only to take me to another scene equally as intriguing. I was also guessing at the point with the dogs. Loved the ending. Enjoyable read, thanks.

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked it! :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/10/2016 11:01 PM, Slytherin said:

I really liked this story. I was holding my breath when Samuel snuck in to the constable's station to free his beloved. They Managed to leave Salem, good for them !

Thanks, Penguin :)

Thanks for reading, LBO :) I appreciate the review and your support. :hug: Glad you liked it :)

Link to comment

An interesting twist on a witch tale. The relationship between them alone would have been sufficient grounds for Puritans to do them harm. Add in witchcraft and all sorts of horrors can be imagined.

Link to comment

Wonderful, Val! A terrific story well told. I loved it from beginning to end. Kudos and cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/11/2016 02:26 AM, dughlas said:

An interesting twist on a witch tale. The relationship between them alone would have been sufficient grounds for Puritans to do them harm. Add in witchcraft and all sorts of horrors can be imagined.

Thanks dughlas :) You are right; they had a lot to fear so running was their only option. I think they'll do just fine, now. :) Thanks for the review!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/11/2016 04:01 AM, Headstall said:

Wonderful, Val! A terrific story well told. I loved it from beginning to end. Kudos and cheers... Gary...

Thanks so much, Gary! I appreciate your review and the kind words :)

Link to comment

I think I held my breath the whole time. Poor Oscar must have felt so betrayed by Samuel, but I liked the twist at the end! Great story.

Link to comment

Love is definitely a wicked game. Some times it will turnout to be positive and some times otherwise. I liked the concept of bewitching. Who? How? and Where its been led?

 

You have given such great description of love here. Bewitching and playing games with a person may have its results. But true love!!! Its a different kind of boat.

 

I liked the way how you have explained. I Loved the story's end. Nice story Val... :)

 

~Emi.

Link to comment

I love the twists and turns in this story. It's an interesting take on Salem as well as a commentary on the idea of love. Perhaps there isn't a great deal of difference between magic and love. They are both mystical and have their doubters. Great job Valkyrie!!!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/11/2016 11:07 AM, craftingmom said:

I think I held my breath the whole time. Poor Oscar must have felt so betrayed by Samuel, but I liked the twist at the end! Great story.

Thanks, CM. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/11/2016 03:35 PM, Emi GS said:

Love is definitely a wicked game. Some times it will turnout to be positive and some times otherwise. I liked the concept of bewitching. Who? How? and Where its been led?

 

You have given such great description of love here. Bewitching and playing games with a person may have its results. But true love!!! Its a different kind of boat.

 

I liked the way how you have explained. I Loved the story's end. Nice story Val... :)

 

~Emi.

Thanks for the review, Emi. I'm glad you liked the story :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/11/2016 10:34 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Great story telling, Val. Drew me in, kept me there and the end (beginning) was terrific!

Thanks so much! :hug:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/11/2016 11:19 PM, Cole Matthews said:

I love the twists and turns in this story. It's an interesting take on Salem as well as a commentary on the idea of love. Perhaps there isn't a great deal of difference between magic and love. They are both mystical and have their doubters. Great job Valkyrie!!!

Thanks, Cole :) Your beta comments helped make the story better :) I'm glad you liked it and you are right about the mystical quality of love.

Link to comment

At times, love does feel like witchcraft. Still, a surprise for Samuel that Oscar actually could perform magic. I hope they can start fresh somewhere else, away from Salem and its lot.

Link to comment

That's what I hoped would happen; it was still a pleasant surprise. Very well done, Val. What made almost all of us think of witches and demons?

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/12/2016 04:03 AM, Puppilull said:

At times, love does feel like witchcraft. Still, a surprise for Samuel that Oscar actually could perform magic. I hope they can start fresh somewhere else, away from Salem and its lot.

Thanks for the review, Puppilull :) I think they'll be ok from now on. ;)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/12/2016 05:41 PM, Dolores Esteban said:

A beautiful story with a surprising twist at the end. I'm happy they made it.

Thanks, Dolores. I appreciate the review :) I'm glad you liked it.

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..