Jump to content
    vanalas
  • Author
  • 14,028 Words
  • 801 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Comments, critiques and tips are warmly welcome.

A Love to Last - 7. Chapter 7: Things get more complicated than Ben thought. How will he get out of it?

Thanks guys for your continued love and support. It is because of you that i am motivated to write on this site. Don't forget to drop your comments and recommend the story. I love you so much...

A loud crack echoed as Ben’s neck jerked to the side. He was pulled off his feet and fell face first on the floor. It hurt like hell.

“How could you do this to me, you bitch?” Jim barked.

Ben winced as he slowly raised his head to look at his angry brother’s hate filled eyes, with blood dripping down his face from the cut on his brow.

“jim?” Ben sounded surprised. His hand found his cheek and he didn’t even realize that he was bleeding.

“Don’t you dare call my name.” Jim warned, pointing his shaky finger at Ben. “Don’t even come close to me, shameless whore.”

“What?” Ben gasped, rising from the floor. He was so confused. “What have I done? Why are you mad at me, Jim?”

“You’re gonna pretend like you don’t know.” Jim snapped. “You’re gonna pretend to be a saint and try to convince me? I trusted you… and…” He paused and sobbed. “…you stabbed me in the back, you whore.”

“What did I do?”

“You seduced my boyfriend, you whore!” Jim snapped, cracking his hand on Ben’s face.

Ben stood there staring at his brother with wide eyes, ignoring the pain on his cheek. His heart was racing so much he felt he was gonna have a heart attack. Fear slowly crept on him like a ghost and he felt shivers go down his spine.

“What?” He gasped, shaking his head. “You must have mistaken something. I didn’t do such a thing and you know that.”

“Really?” Jim yelled with tears following. “You’re gonna deny the whole thing when I saw it with my own eyes? I saw you in David’s office. You seduced him and you kissed him.”

The pain Jim felt was like a sharp knife in his gut. “I heard what you were talking about. You had sex with him? How could I have been so stupid.” He cried at the top of his voice. “You!” He angrily pointed at him. “I trusted you with my life.”

“No, Jim, please.” Ben put his hands together. “Listen to me, what you saw at the office isn’t what it seemed. I have never slept with David while you guys have been together, I promise you. You need to believe me.”

“Believe you?” Jim’s face hardened as his teeth clenched. “All my life that’s what I did but I didn’t know that you were busy plotting my pain. You knew how much I love, David, and you still went ahead and fucked him?”

Ben covered his mouth, shaking his head. “I did not, please…” He tried to get close but Elena blocked him. “…listen to me, Jim. Things are not as they seem. I knew David before you guys even met. Things are so complicated that I don’t even know how to explain them to you. You know I love you so much and I want nothing more than your happiness. I would never do anything that would hurt you. Believe me.”

“Wow!” Elena clapped harshly, chirping at him. “That was a great speech, Ben, really award deserving. Even when caught, you’re still trying to act like a saint.” She chuckled wickedly. “What I have been saying about you has been true all along. Am I not vindicated?” She opened her arms, laughing harshly. “But no, my son was so blinded by your fake love that he couldn’t see beyond that. But a mother is a mother after all. I see everything and I know everything. I could see right through you, cheap just like your mother.”

Tears spilled over the side of Ben’s eyes. He didn’t care about what Elena was saying. All he wanted was to speak to his brother.

“Jim, please, listen to me…”

“Don’t call my name!” Jim warned, breathing like a monster in a cave. “You shouldn’t ever call my name, you stupid whore.”

“Jim, please, listen… I’ll explain to… ouch!” Ben screamed out in pain when Elena gripped his jaw painfully.

“Didn’t you hear what he just said to you? Leave my son alone.” She warned, digging her nails in his jaw. “I knew what you were up to. You couldn’t stand to see my son happy. You wanted him to be miserable so you made it your mission to make him miserable, right?”

“That’s not true.” Ben cried, still staring at his brother. “You know I would never do anything to hurt you, Jim.”

“Oh really?” She gripped his hair and pulled on it hard. “Just look at him.” She yelled. “Look at my son. Does he look like he’s not hurt? Does he look like he’s okay? You caused him that pain and you’re not even ashamed to continue pretending like you care.”

“Jim please…” Ben felt like she was ripping his hair but he didn’t care. “…listen to me.”

“Stop it!” She slapped him hard on the face. “Even when you’re caught, you won’t stop pretending.”

She used her might and pushed him so hard he went flying to the floor. But before he could completely fall, Ben felt strong hands holding him and helping him up. He thought it was his father but…

“Are you okay?”

Ben stopped crying and he slowly raised his face to look into the eyes of the man that held him. He looked really sad, so sad. But Ben didn’t care much about that. He wondered how the man had followed him to his house.

“You’re bleeding.” David spoke softly. He quickly ripped a piece of a shirt and applied pressure on the cut. “What have they done to you?”

Ben cried softly. “What are you doing here?”

“When I was on my way out of the building, the security told me that Jim had come to my office.” He said softly. “I didn’t see him so I figured he saw us. I knew there was gonna be trouble and I didn’t want you to face it alone.”

“David?” Jim sobbed uncontrollably and rushed to him.

David quickly took Ben’s hand and put him behind, shielding him from the two. Jim rushed to him and wrapped his arms around him, crying uncontrollably. The pain he felt was from out of this world but holding the man felt so good.

“My love, thanks for coming here.” He sniveled. “I knew that you wouldn’t leave me. I knew that bitch was trying to separate us. I know he seduced you but I forgive you. We’ll fight this together.”

David felt so bad but he carefully held Jim’s hands and ripped him away from his chest. He stared into his eyes and saw nothing but pain. His eyes were blood red.

“Listen,” David said, his face serious. “Ben didn’t seduce me and he’s not been coming after me. He’s been trying to keep me away from him because of you, because he doesn’t want you to get hurt. I didn’t want to hurt you too and that’s why I wanted to tell you earlier. I am in love with Ben and I have been in love with him even before I met you.”

Jim’s lip quivered, and his shoulders dropped in resignation. He didn’t even feel when Elena held him. He just stared at the man he loved with tears only speaking for him.

“You’re a good guy and it hurts me to tell you this but if I don’t say it, I’ll only be deceiving you and myself.” He said softly. “Ben and I met by coincidence and I have been in love with him ever since. This is something I have always wanted to tell you since that time I met him again at dinner but…

“No!” Jim screamed, grabbing David’s hands with ruthless pressure. “No, you’re lying. You cannot say that to me. You do not love that whore. He seduced you, that’s why you’re saying that.”

“Jim, listen…”

“No!” He furiously pushed the man aside and he found himself on the floor. Jim was now staring at Ben with so much anger. “What did you do to him, you whore? What the fuck did you give him? You knew he loved me.”

His finger was directly pointed into Ben’s face.

“Jim…”

“What did you do?” Jim smacked Ben so hard across the face, sending him to the floor. “He loves me and not you.”

“Stop it!” David rose furiously and rushed to Ben, wrapping his arms around him. “Ben didn’t do anything. If you wanna hurt someone then hurt me.” He rose and stood still, facing Jim. “Go ahead and hurt me. I am the one that has hurt you and not Ben. All he has ever done is try to protect you at the expense of his happiness. Ben…”

“No!” Jim covered his ears. “No, you cannot say that. You’re mine.” He gripped David’s shirt, pulling him closer. “You only love me and I only love you. Love me!”

David didn’t even resist, he just stared at Jim without saying a word to him. He was hurt because he hadn’t planned on breaking the news to Jim like that. Now the damage had already been done.

“You’re mine, David.” He wailed, breaking Ben’s heart. “You’re mine.”

Jim felt so weak like his energy had all been drained out. His day had began so well and now it had been ruined. He let go of David and cried like a baby even when Elena held him tightly.

“How could you do this to my son?” She seethed, giving him murderous eyes. “Are you that weak that you couldn’t resist being seduced by that dog?”

“Ben didn’t do anything of a sort. You wanna blame someone, blame me.” He said harshly. “I am the dog that has been following him because I love him.”

“And what about my son? What about your love for him?” She barked. “What do you say about that? You led my son on and you were about to get engaged in a few months.”

“I am sorry, ma’am, but I cannot control my heart anymore.” He was trying to be as respectful as he could be. “I never wanted to get in a relationship with Jim in the first place because I feared something like this would happen. It was your son and all of you that forced me into this relationship. You were the one that was pushing all the engagement things.”

“Are you blaming me?” She furiously pointed at herself. “How dare you?”

“I am not blaming you. But this is between Jim and I.” He said rudely. “Let us resolve this issue. I am trying to be as respectful as I can be judging from the situation. Do not let me say something that I am gonna regret.”

To say Elena was shocked would be an understatement. She tried to say something but she was dumbstruck by his statement. She eyed Ben wickedly who was looking back at her with so much fear.

“Jim, listen…”

“I don’t wanna hear anything.” Jim screamed, shaking his head. “If you’re not gonna say you love me then I don’t wanna hear it.”

“Jim please, you’re a good guy and…”

“Please, leave me alone.” Jim screamed.

Suddenly, Jim felt himself getting dizzy as the headache struck him like lightning. He felt light and everything started spinning. Before he knew it, he was heading for the floor with a thud.

“Jim!” Elena rushed to him and held him in her arms. “Baby.”

“Jim.” Ben gasped, tears rolling down like a down. “Oh my God, no!”

David tried to move but Ben gripped him. “You need to go.” Ben pleaded. “I am so sorry for this but you should go home.”

“I will not leave you alone.” David gripped his arm. “I don’t want anything to happen to you. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Ben shook his head. “Maybe I deserve it because I caused it. He’s in so much pain and seeing you here will only make it worse.”

“Ben, understand…”

“And understand me too.” He said, staring into the man’s teary eyes. “This is my family. Let me handle it. You have a family waiting for you too. They must be worried sick.”

“No, Ben…”

“I am begging you. Do this for me and just go. I’ll be fine.”

The last thing David wanted to do was leave Ben alone after what he had seen happen. He held him tightly without wanting to let him go.

“Okay, fine.” He sighed. “But I won’t stay away for too long. If I call and you do pick up, I’ll come back.”

Ben nodded. David glanced at Jim who had passed out for the last time before he left. Ben was so scared that he just wanted to be with his brother. He slowly started getting closer.

“Don’t you dare come closer!” Elena warned, pointing angrily at him. “You caused this, you shameless bitch. This is supposed to be your brother.”

“I didn’t mean for this to happen. Please, believe me.”

“Believe you?” She yelled. “Am I out of my mind? What I can promise you is that for this pain that you’ve caused my son, I’ll make you pay. You’re not gonna run away from this. You’ll pay for every tear that my precious son has dropped here. Mark my words.”

She called one of the guards who picked up Jim and took him to his room. Elena followed but that was after giving Ben a very deadly look. Ben remained standing there in tears. This wasn’t how he had planned things to go. He didn’t plan on seeing his brother so sad and so hurt.

If only he could turn back time, then he’d have changed things from the very beginning. His brother wouldn’t have been so hurt. Question is, will Jim listen to his explanation?

***

Claudia was pacing about the room with the feeling of something inside her wanting to escape. She didn’t know what it was until she saw her son entering the door. She glanced at her watch and the time read 11:35 PM. She became breathless with anger and her hands clenched into fists. Her body trembled and she let out a harsh breath.

“Welcome!” She chuckled bitterly, wearing a smile. “You’re welcome home, your highness. You just missed the party, your own party.”

“Mom, please, can you allow him rest.” Amber pleaded, rushing to her brother. “He’s obviously been through a lot.”

“Of course, that’s why I am welcoming him so nicely.” She slightly bowed her head. “After all, cheating requires a lot of energy.”

David stood there staring at his mother like she’d grown another head.

“Cheating?” He gasped. “What are you talking about? Where did you hear that?”

“Oh, I hear a lot of things.” She crossed her arms on her chest. “I also heard that while your family, the people that loves you were busy waiting for you here, you were busy fornicating in the room with that useless bitch!”

“Please, don’t!” David said harshly, shaking his head. “Don’t call him names. You don’t know the whole story.”

“And what is there to know?”

“A lot, mom.” He yelled. “I was not fornicating with anyone. I love Ben so much and I…”

“Shut up!” She snapped, pointing angrily at him. “What do you like about him? Is it the fact that he’s an illegitimate son or his dirty body? How dare you disrespect me out there with a nobody. Don’t you have any sense of shame?”

David felt a great wrench of sadness. “Mom, why would you say about him? You don’t even know this boy.”

“And what’s there to know? I don’t give two hoots about it.” She yelled. “Now listen to me, whatever it is that you’ve been doing with him better end it as soon as possible and get back with your boyfriend. Do I make myself clear?”

David chuckled bitterly, putting his hands on his hips. He knew his mother was seriously but he found what she said very funny.

“What I am doing with him? I love Ben, mom, and that love isn’t gonna fade away.” He said confidently. “Ben is my love and I will not leave him. I am sorry.”

“Oh, you will.” She warned. “You are gonna break up with him and you’ll go back to your boyfriend. Everything else will go as planned. So better be done with that bitch as soon as possible.”

“I will not do such a thing, mom.” He retaliated. “Your forced me to get into this relationship but I should have stood my ground even then. You’ve been dictating how it should run and I have not been saying anything.

Ben is someone that I love so much and I am not gonna just leave him because you say so.” He paused and took a deep breath. “I have done so much just for this boy to accept his love for me to just lose it now. I am sorry that things didn’t go the way you wanted them to but there’s nothing I can do. My heart has won and I will not continue being with someone I do not love just to make you happy.”

“Love?” Elena snapped. “You’re preaching to me about love? What do you even know about love?”

“Enough to want to stay with ben.” He answered rudely. “And if you cannot understand this then I am sorry, but I cannot help you.”

“David?” Amber gasped, holding his arm. “Don’t you think you’re being too ruthful? Mom is just trying to help. You’ve been in a relationship with Jim for almost a month now and you only met his brother barely a week ago. How come you’re now claiming to love him. You know this is wrong.”

“No!” He looked at his sister with a serious face. “You’re wrong, Amber. I have known Ben for over three months now. I just didn’t know who he was and where he was until I met him again that night at Jim’s place. Ben is the boy I spent a night with three months ago.”

Amber stood there unblinking, trying to process what she had been told. Her lips parted in silent surprise.

“What? How is that possible?”

“I don’t know but this is the boy I have been looking for.” He said with a smile. “Seeing him again, I was reminded of my love for him. I wanted to tell you but Ben didn’t want to do anything with me and he was scared because his step-mother would have hurt him if she found out. I spent the last week trying to convince him and with so much difficulty, he confessed his feelings. So…” He sighed. “…Ben is not at fault here. What’s wrong is me being in a relationship with Jim knowing fully well who I love. It’s better this way.”

Claudia began clapping when she heard her son speak.

“Wow, great words.” She laughed. “But over my dead body will I let you date that boy. Don’t you care about my reputation and the reputation of this family.”

“Is that all you care about?” He snapped. “I love Ben and it’s not up to you. I will stand with this boy through thick and thin. I am not an 18 year old that you can control, mom. I just turned 22 and I know what’s good for me. If you can’t understand that then I am sorry but I cannot help you.”

With those words, he stormed out of there and rushed upstairs, ignoring his mother’s calls. Her lips grew thin with anger and she felt like exploding right there. She’d never been so angry at her son before. But he wasn’t to be blamed. She knew exactly where to direct her anger.

“Mom, don’t worry. I will talk to him.” Amber said as she rushed upstairs.

“Ben!” She chirped, breathing harshly. “You’ve just stepped on a tail of a tiger and you are gonna have to face the consequences. You think you can seduce my son and get away with it. Get ready for the storm that’s about to hit you.”

***

Ben was coming down the stairs slowly, feeling uneasy with every step he made. He wore a white t-shirt with a black skinny jean with sandals on his feet. His hair was tied in a ponytail and he had a stitch on his forehead. His eyes went straight to the living room where Elena and Jim sat.

“Please, my love, you need to eat something.” Elena pleaded. “You haven’t had anything since yesterday. You’ll get sick if you continue like this.”

“I don’t want anything.” Jim spoke weakly. “The only thing I want is David, mom. He’s the only food I need right now.”

“I know, my love.” She caressed his cheeks. “But eat first and then we’ll go and see him. He loves you so much, remember? Not even some desperate whore will separate you.”

Ben’s mind was engulfed with negative thoughts. He exhaled, releasing some of the tension that had built up in his shoulder. He tried to tell himself nothing was going to happen as he felt his heartbeat race. It was early morning and all he wanted was to talk to his brother and make him understand. It hurt him seeing in that way.

He took a deep breath and slowly walked to the living room. Jim raised his face and when their eyes met, he saw nothing but hatred in those eyes. It hurt but he still needed to try. Waves of pain washed through his mind.

“Jim!”

When Elena heard that voice, she felt like she had been possessed by some evil spirit. She furiously rose from the couch like she’d just sat on needles. Her eyes went crazy wide and her face got red.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” She sneered, her nose flaring. “How dare you show your face to my son after all that you did. Are you trying…”

“Mom…” Jim spoke softly, holding her hand.

She stopped and just stood, staring at him like she wanted to kill him. Jim on the other hand stood and faced his brother. He had never hated anybody in his life like he did at that time. His eyes were glittering with hostility. They were wild and fearsome.

“Jim, please, listen to me.” He put his hands together. “I wanna tell you that I never meant to hurt you. I would never hurt you because I love you. You’re my brother. You and I share something so strong that…”

“Shut up!” He spoke with a fierce, terrifying quiet. “So, how did you execute all this? Did you plan all this from the very beginning when you saw me being happy with him? Did you call him and tell him you had some trouble and then seduced him until he fucked you? Where did it happen?”

Ben closed his eyes from the pain and let out a harsh breath. There were tears in his eyes.

“Damn you, Ben, answer me!”

He reached out to reassure him but was pushed him furiously. “Don’t come close to me, you whore!”

“None of that.” Ben sniveled as his eyes welled. “I didn’t do any of that. Believe me when I tell you that all that happened before you even met him. It happened on my mother’s memorial. I was so sad and heartbroken because Aunt Elena…”

“Shut up, don’t you dare mention my mother’s name.” He warned. His body shook from all the anger.

An evil grin appeared on Elena’s face. At this point, she knew that she had won her son over. It was only a matter of time before she won over her husband.

He shook his head as his eyes watered. “Even after all this, you’re trying to play saint.”

“I am saying the truth.” Ben said desperately. “I won’t deny that I love David, but even after finding out he was the man I spent a night with, I didn’t do anything because I didn’t want you to get hurt.” It was the truth. “I thought he had forgotten about me. I didn’t know he’d have feelings for me and that he would make such a decision. I tried to protect you, brother. David doesn’t have to come between us and I am ready to forget about him for your sake because I love you. Please, my brother…”

“Don’t call me that!” He snapped. “Cheap man caught in the act. You’re a whore, that’s what you are. Just like your mother. But that shouldn’t be a surprise because an apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.”

Ben felt the water creep out of his eyes. A great sense of weariness swept over him sucking his energy with it. He wanted to say something but the words got strangled in his throat. The words Jim spoke were like a double-edged sword cutting through his skin into his flesh.

“My mother was right about you all along and I always defended you. But she was right because just like your mother, you’re a whore, a home-wrecker, a boyfriend snatcher!” He was screaming now, his forehead beading with the perspiration of intense stress. “You couldn’t bear to see me happy so you planned to sleep with my boyfriend just like that whore slept with my father and had you.”

The look in Ben’s eyes was desolate.

“I hate you so much!” His voice quivered with dark fury; his eyes red like a demon. “I wish you had never been born. And my wish would have been fulfilled if that whore hadn’t been so cheap as to open her legs for a married man to fuck her!”

Ben felt anger well up in his chest and in instant, there was a sharp snare drum of a punchline that he made with Jim’s face. Jim screamed out in pain followed by tears as his hand found his hurting cheek. He hadn’t expected that. His chest grew so tight it became so hard to breathe.

“You can say anything you want to me but don’t you dare insult my mother.” He said with his voice thick with tears. “My mother was not a whore. She was a generous woman.”

Ben sniveled with tears rolling down his cheek.

“How dare you, Ben!” Elena snapped. “Who do you think you are to lay a finger on my son?”

“He was insulting my mother and I will not take that.”

“Why?” Jim yelled in pain. “Is the truth too much to take? Your mother was a mistress and you’re nothing but an illegitimate child that can never be recognized or accepted by society. I am the only legitimate Henandez here.”

Ben cried in a low moan. “All my life I have done nothing but sacrifice for you, Jim. You of all people have no right to judge me. Ever since I was young, I have done nothing but ensure your happiness.” He cried furiously. “I have never questioned why you do what you do, Jim. When I found out about David, I could have easily gotten him but again I had to deny my own happiness just to make sure you’re happy.

And now that things have gone this way, you’re gonna insult my mother? Is our relationship that weak? All my life I am the one always giving way even when you’re the one who has everything. You’re the one with a family and I have nothing. So, you can’t question whether I have been a brother to you or not.”

Jim sobbed uncontrollably. “Should I thank you? You should be thanking me because I am the one that had to share a father. I am the one that had to share my family with you even though you didn’t deserve it.” He barked in his face. “And this is how you repay me. You ungrateful son of a bitch! But right now, I don’t want to share anything with a whore.”

“Is that what you’ve been thinking all this time?” He nodded. “That I am just some worthless piece of shit. You’re saying this because of a man? Is that what I am worth to you.”

“You’re a worthless piece of shit!” He said in between clenched teeth. “I wish you could have died with your mother.”

Ben shook his head. “It’s really sad to think that my own brother would turn out this way. Thank you so much for those words, Jim. Thank you!”

Keeping his breathing steady, Ben turned and pushed harder, running out of the house. But just as he got out, he bumped into someone. He quickly raised his face to look into the angry face of a woman. His heart thumped in his chest and he gasped in pain.

“I am so sorry, ma’am.” He apologized. “Forgive me. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going.”

“Obviously.” Claudia rolled her eyes. “Was this how you carelessly bumped into my son before you lured him into bed?”

“Excuse me, ma’am…”

“You do not speak when I am speaking unless you’re asked to.” She warned. She jutted her hip, eyeing him from head to toe in disgust. “Did my son tell you that he’s from a very well renowned and respected family? Did he also tell you that he is heir to a very reputable company?”

Ben couldn’t answer. He just kept on staring at her.

“And despite knowing all this, you still had the guts to seduce my son. And worse sleep with him.” She yelled. “Just whom do you think you are? An illegitimate child…” She spit on the ground. “…disgusting. Just take a very good look at yourself and tell me if you think you’re in the same class with my son.”

Ben slightly closed his eyes. “I did not seduce your son, ma’am. I never wanted this to happen.” His voice was so weak. “I met your son when things were very tough for me and he helped me. I never planned for him to develop feelings for me and I never thought I’d even fall for him. When we met again, I didn’t want…”

“Save your story for someone who cares.” She rudely interrupted. “But stay away from my son. I don’t ever want to see you anywhere near him. Do I make myself clear?”

“I am sorry, ma’am.” He said softly. “But you’re talking to the wrong person. I have tried my best to stay away from, David, but he’s the one that has been chasing me. I didn’t want any of this to happen because it has hurt my brother too.”

“Don’t you have any shame?” She seethed. “A family took you in and treated you more than they’d treat an outsider. Yet you had to pay them back like this? Why am I not surprised? A son of a whore would equate to nothing. You’re just proving that you’re your mother’s son.”

Ben’s heart twisted.

“And if you think I’ll let a whore’s son get with my son then you’re wrong.” She pointed at him. “This is the last time I want to have this conversation with you. Next time I might not be so nice.”

With those words, she walked past Ben rudely, pushing him aside and went inside. Ben remained there trying to control his emotions but he failed. Everyone was now insulting his mother and it was his fault.

He wanted to continue going but he saw Amber standing a distance from him, staring at him. He hadn’t noticed that she had been standing there with her mother. He sniveled.

“Go ahead, Amber.” He spoke weakly. “You can say whatever you want. I can take it. I don’t think you can say anything worse than what has been said to me already.”

Amber got closer and when she was nearer, she pulled him into a very tight hug. That was all he needed, he broke down and cried like a baby. It hurt like hell, all the words that they had used on his mother. His heart bled.

“I am so sorry, Ben.” She said in pain. “I am so sorry that you’re going through this. I know you’re not a bad guy. You’re my friend. Don’t mind my mother, she’s not usually like that.”

“I understand her.” He said with a chuckle as he pulled away from the hug. “She loves David and also… which mother would want her son to be in a relationship with someone like me? As much as this hurts to admit, I am a mistress’s son.”

“Shhh…” Amber whispered, cupping his cheeks. “…you’re more than that, Ben. I talked to David last night and he told me exactly what happened. He made it clear to me that you were the boy he’s been searching for. Why didn’t you tell me anything when you found out?”

“Because I was scared. My brother was so happy and I never wanted to say anything.” He rubbed his tears. “I thought if I stayed away, David would eventually move on and be happy with my brother. I never wanted any of this.”

“I know.” She smiled. “And speaking of Jim, what did he say?”

“He’s mad at me and he said pretty bad things and…” He couldn’t finish his sentence as he burst into tears.

“It’s okay.” Amber held him in her arms, rubbing his back. She didn’t like seeing him cry because it was hurting her too. She loved him so much.

***

“How could you do this, Jim.” Amber said harshly. “I thought your bond with your brother was stronger than that.”

“How could I do what exactly?” Jim asked with a raised eyebrow.

“You said so many bad things to him.” She shook her head. “This is Ben we’re talking about. Of all people, you should understand that he’d never do anything to hurt you. Even at that, bringing his mother into this wasn’t necessary.”

“Isn’t true?” He chuckled bitterly with tears in his eyes. “Wasn’t his mother a whore? Isn’t he an illegitimate child? Some truths may hurt but we all have to face them sooner or later. And the truth is that I am the only pure Henandez.”

“It took a man for you to come to a conclusion?” She shouted. “Jim, Ben is your brother and…”

“He seduced my boyfriend!” He snapped, breathing like a woman in labor. “He slept with him behind my back.”

“Ben did no such thing.” Amber argued. “Those things happened a long time ago before you met my brother. My brother was searching for Ben and never knew who he was until that night at dinner. And instead of being with him, your brother still didn’t want you to get hurt. He buried his feelings for David and let you be happy.”

“Am I supposed to thank him?” He seethed, clenching his fist. “That doesn’t still change the fact that he’s a whore and he slept with my boyfriend just like his mother slept with my father. It does run in the family after all.”

Amber was shocked. “I am so disappointed in you, Jim. Instead of you to listen to your brother and try to work around this issue, you’re busy insulting him.”

“Well, go ahead and be disappointed.” He yelled in Amber’s face. “I was the one that got hurt and he’s the one getting sympathy. You’re supposed to be my friend. You’re supposed to be supporting me and talking to David on my behalf instead of trying to talk me into forgiving some unworthy whore.”

“Ben is my friend too.” Amber pointed out. “And if you think I have the power to convince my brother to come back to you then you’re wrong. My brother knows what he’s doing and poor Ben had no participation in this. It was all his choice and Ben was trying to convince him not to leave you but he already made his decision. Would you want to be in a relationship with a man that doesn’t love you?”

“He loves me!” Jim snapped, screaming in Amber’s face. “That bitch has cast a spell on him. I am the one David loves.”

Amber got closer and held his hand. “You once told me that you love Ben so much that he’s like your shadow and nothing could separate. Ben wants his brother and he’s willing to let everything go. Talk to him and resolve this issue. You guys are one blood. And they say blood is thicker than water.”

“That would be true if we were one blood.” He furiously released his hand. “But he’s not my blood. His blood is dirty and mine is pure. The only thing I want is for him to undo what he did to my boyfriend. Maybe after that, I might give him some breadcrumbs.”

“I can’t believe you’re this kind of person, Jim.”

“Now you know.” He waved his hand in dismiss. “And I would love to be left alone. Get out of my room.”

Amber laughed and then stared at him for a long time. “If your heart is like this, Jim, then my brother did make the right decision to go after Ben. I wish you the best in getting him back.”

She stormed out of the room, leaving him standing there in tears.

“Ben!” He screamed as his hands found the bed and started throwing everything to the floor. “I am gonna kill you for causing me such pain. You’ll pay.”

It was a promise because he wasn’t gonna lose his love to some undeserving whore. He was gonna do everything to get him back.

“You’ll pay, Ben!”

***

“What?” David gasped. “Mom went to Ben’s place? I knew that she was up to something.”

“I know, that’s why I followed her.” Amber sighed on the other end. “Things are not going well for Ben. Everyone’s against me and I am thinking this might worsen his situation.”

“Alright, thanks. Are you still there?”

“No, I left some time back.” She said abruptly. “I needed to get some things at the mall.”

“Thanks.” He cut the call and started pacing about the room.

He was only wearing a blue t-shirt and a brown short with sandals on his feet. He saw his mother coming inside with a serious face and it just pissed him off.

“What the hell, mom!” He snapped. “What did you go to do at Jim’s place? And what did you say to Ben?”

“I went to comfort the boy whom you hurt.” She yelled, throwing her bag on the table. “And why am I not surprised that snitch told you everything?”

“Ben didn’t say anything to me.” He argued. “Don’t forget that you went there with Amber. Why are you doing this, mom? Your son is trying to be happy and you’re ruining it for me.”

“Happy?” She yelled, shaking her head. “You’re not gonna be happy with that boy. I didn’t tell him anything wrong. I just told him the truth because he doesn’t stand a chance with you.”

“And who are you to decide that for me, mom?” He was being disrespectful. “I don’t remember asking you to start poking your nose in my affair.”

“Excuse me!” Claudia’s eyes widened in shock. “How dare you talk to me in that manner. Don’t forget that I am your mother.”

“No, mom.” He shook his head. “I haven’t forgotten that you are my mother. But I also haven’t forgotten that Ben is the love of my life and I will not stand here and watch you hurt him. What is it with you and reputation? I remember that when my father married you, you were nothing but a common secretary.”

“How dare you!” Claudia snapped and smacked him so hard across the face. She was breathing so fast a woman in labor would have been jealous. “Don’t you dare talk to me in that way.”

David laughed as he touched his cheek, staring at his mother. His lips pulled back in a wide, beaming grin. It was the first time Claudia laid a hand on him and though it came as a shock, it didn’t make him angry. He got excited.

“You know, I have been wanting this for a very long time.” He laughed, tears of mirth forming in his eyes. “Thank you so much, mom. This makes me happy.”

He took a turn and picked the keys from the table.

“And where do you think you are going?”

“I am going to pay my love a visit.” He answered with his arms wide open. “Isn’t that obvious?”

“Don’t test me, David.” Her eyes narrowed as she warned him. “I am not joking. I have warned you to stay away from that stupid boy. If you do not stay away from him, I’ll find ways of keeping him away from you.”

David just turned and stormed out of there without saying a word. Claudia’s eyes glowed with savage fire and she pressed her lips together in anger. She had to do something and she was gonna have to do it quick.

***

Ben closed the gate behind him and found the man already waiting for him by his car. When David saw Ben, he rushed to him and wrapped his arms tightly around him. He felt so bad because the boy looked like he’d been crying for a very long time. He felt his body press in, soft and warm.

“Ben, I am so sorry.” He said softly as he hugged him tightly. “I knew I shouldn’t have left. We should have faced this together because I brought you into this. I am so sorry.”

He pulled from the hug and cupped the boy’s cheeks. “I am sorry.”

“I don’t know what to do, David.” He sobbed, trying to fight his tears. “My whole world is slowly falling. Jim hates me and Aunt Elena has now found an opportunity to separate us. This wasn’t supposed to happen. You were supposed to be with Jim, making him happy. If I hadn’t come to the office yesterday, maybe…”

“That wouldn’t have changed the way I feel for you. Whether you had come to the office or not, I planned to break up with Jim and do what’s right.” He wiped the boy’s tear that was rolling down his cheek. “You’re my destination and I was gonna get to you one way or the other.”

“I have lost him.” He cried softly. “He said a lot of things and I don’t know what I am gonna do. I have known Jim my whole life and I have loved him so much. I just want my brother back. Maybe…” He paused and wailed. “…maybe you should just apologize and get back with him. I don’t think I can take what’s going on.”

To say David was surprised would be an understatement. “Are you being serious right now?” He couldn’t mask his pain. “You think my love for you is something that I can easily erase. I keep falling in love with you and each time is harder than the last. Every time, the feeling gets deeper, more complete, more bewitching.”

Ben closed his eyes as hot torrents of grief coursed down his face.

“There isn’t a thing I wouldn’t do to make sure you’re happy, to keep you safe.” He took his hands kissed them. “No one said the journey to love is gonna be easy. Don’t ever think that I will let you face this alone. Every love has its trials and this is ours. I will hold your hand and fight this with you until every one understands that our love is real. Even Jim will come around.”

“I don’t know if I am that strong.” He shook his head. “I am weak and I… I don’t know if I can fight this.”

“Then I’ll fight for the both of us. We’ll make them all understand.” He cupped his face again and began wiping his tears. “I love you and that’s what is important. Stop crying!”

Their heads pressed against each other, their noses brushing. Ben drew David toward him with his eyes. David inclined his face towards Ben’s and lay his mouth on his, which was like a freshly split open fig. Their eyes closed as their kiss intensified. David’s kisses brought something to him, a peace that he had yearned for.

David’s kiss was all taking. Like he was drawing something out of Ben with soft little jabs of his chin. He brought his fingers up to his hair and grasped the back of his head, closing the remaining space between them. It wasn’t what he wanted but the peace he felt with those lips was out of this world.

“Ben!”

Ben felt his heart jump in his throat when he heard someone angrily call his name. Before he realized what was going on, he was ripped from David and thrown to the ground with a thud.

David on the other hand was caught off guard when his kiss with Ben was cut short right before he saw a fist flying in his face. He was hit right in the jaw, sending him flying to the ground. He fell arm first before his entire body followed. He could taste the coppery blood in his mouth.

“You!” Jerome was quivering in anger. “How could you?”

Jerome was about to explode with rage. His whole body shook from it and he felt like killing David after what he had seen. There were tears in his eyes and anger heated his blood.

David ignored the pain in his thigh, the blood seeping from the cut in his left arm and tried to move as quickly as possible. He got on his back, staring at the man that looked down on him like he wanted to murder him.

“How could you do this?” He raged. “I am going to kill you.”

He charged at David but Ben quickly rose and came in between them.

“Papa, no!” He shook his head. “Please, don’t hurt him. I can explain.”

“Explain what?” He snapped, pointing his finger angrily at his son. “How could you do this to your brother? I am so disappointed in you. Get out of my way if you don’t wanna get hurt.”

“No, papa, please listen…”

“I am not gonna repeat myself again.” He warned.

“Papa…”

“It’s okay.” David said softly, rising from the ground. “Ben, please…” He moved Ben out of the way and stood in front of the man. “I get that you are angry right now, sir. But it’s not Ben’s fault. I didn’t intend for things to go this way.”

“You didn’t intend?” He seethed, clenching his fists. “I welcomed you into my home, trusted you with my son and this is how you decided to repay me. By hurting my son?”

“Sir…”

“Shut up!” He sent his fist flying again into the man’s face.

David fell to the ground again and fell a sharp pain in his groin. He made a low growl, straining to stand up to the pain.

“David!” Ben rushed to him.

“You come here!”

Jerome gripped his son’s arm painfully and pulled him close to him.

“I don’t ever want to see you anywhere near my sons again.” He warned. “IF I see you, I might just kill you.”

“Papa.” Ben cried. “You’re hurting my arm.”

But the man was deaf to his son’s pleas. He instructed his guard to drive the car inside the compound while he painfully dragged his son inside. Ben felt like his arm was on fire but no matter what he said, Jerome was deaf to his pleas. Once they reached inside the house, he angrily threw him to the floor.

“Daddy!” Jim wailed when he saw his father enter the house. He rushed to him and wrapped his arms around him, crying like there was no tomorrow. “It hurts so much, dad. Please, take this pain away from me. I don’t wanna feel this way.”

Jerome held his son tightly, rubbing his back. He had tears in his eyes as rage once again pounded in him like a drumbeat. He glanced at Ben who was crying on the floor and felt like something had possessed him. He’d never seen Jim cry before so he knew it was very painful.

“I can’t take this anymore, dad.” Jim sobbed uncontrollably.

“It’s okay, my love. I am here.” He said with sadness in his voice. “I’ll make it all better, I promise.”

“I just want, David. He’s the only one I want.”

“I swear it will be better.”

“How can it be better?” Elena spoke angrily, rushing towards them. “My son hasn’t stopped crying since yesterday. He has already passed out twice and you think it will get better.”

She directed her eyes at Ben. “And this boy doesn’t even seem to care. He didn’t even think twice about having sex with his brother’s boyfriend. But no, I am the bad one.” She said with heavy sarcasm. “Whenever I tried to speak the truth, I was always seen as the evil step-mother. Now the truth has come to light. He was jealous after all. He couldn’t bear to see my son happy.”

“That’s not true.” Ben shook his head. “I never did any of that. Please, papa, you have to listen to me. You know me better than anyone and you know that I cannot do such a thing.”

“And he still pretends to be a saint.” She chuckled bitterly. “Who are you gonna believe? The truth right in front of you or the lies this boy is gonna tell?”

Ben got on his knees and put his hands together.

“I have never lied to you, papa.” His voice was heavy with emotion. “I know this looks bad but I can explain. I want you to listen to me. Listen to your Ben.”

The ridges of Jerome’s neck became dangerously pronounced. He carefully gave Jim to Elena and slowly started walking towards Ben, nostrils flared and face flushing with rage. His fingers robotically pointed directly into Ben’s face.

“Papa please…”

“What wrong did I ever do that you turned out to be like this?” His mouth shook uncontrollably. “Didn’t I give you enough love? Didn’t I give you every material thing that you could ever need? Did I fail as a father?”

“No, papa…” He shook his head. “…listen to me, papa. I can explain right from the start. I have never slept with David while he was with my brother. It’s all a misunderstanding. When we met…”

“Shut up!” He snapped, gripping his arms painfully. Ben felt his father’s nails digging into his arms and he winced. “I don’t need to hear any more of your lies. What are you gonna tell me? I saw enough when I found you kissing that bastard outside the gate. Are you gonna explain that too?”

“You’re hurting me, papa.” He sniveled, staring into the eyes of the man he couldn’t recognize anymore. “Please, listen to me.”

“Just look at your brother.” He furiously turned Ben’s head to Jim who was mourning in Elena’s arms. “Do you see what you’ve done to him? I have never seen my son cry before and today he is crying because of what you did. Weren’t there other men for you to seduce apart from your brother’s man. How shameless can you be?”

“Papa, please, listen to me…” He pleaded. “I am your son, your Ben. You promised to always lend a listening ear. I need you to listen to me, please.”

“All my life…” He said in between clenched teeth. “…I tried so much to protect you from the world, from my wife. I neglected Jim and gave you the best life even when Elena told me the kind of person you are. I gave you everything when I should have been protecting my son from you. Jim needed protection from you because his enemy has been staying with him in this house.”

Ben’s entire body became impossibly still and a hard knot constricted his throat, making it hard to breathe. He was staring at his father like he’d said something abominable. He felt cold and dead.

“What kind of person have I been keeping in this house? Even a witch doesn’t attack her own home.” He added. “I am so disappointed in you, Ben. Maybe my wife has been right all along. I shouldn’t have brought you into this house. My son wouldn’t have been hurt.”

Ben gaped, uncertain whether to breathe or scream. The tears started flowing again.

“Now you listen to me.” Jerome warned, pulling him closer. “I don’t want you near Jim. Don’t ever come close to my son. He doesn’t deserve someone like you.”

With one angry look, Jerome let go of Ben. Ben dropped to the floor in a slumped posture, the words his father had said playing at the back of his mind. He couldn’t believe that the only person he thought was gonna listen and set things right had said those hurtful words to him.

With one look at Ben, Jerome took his son in his arms. It wasn’t easy for him but he was just too upset.

“Let’s go son.” He said softly.

He went upstairs with Jim in his arms, soothing him. Elena on the other remained staring at the boy that seemed hopeless. A gigantic grin spread across her face, her soul started dancing and singing the song of heavens.

“Poor, poor Ben!” She chirped, shaking her head. “Who would have thought that Jerome who has shown you so much love would talk to you like that? I am actually very surprised, aren’t you?”

Ben was sinking into the deep sea of his tears.

“I remember a few years ago, he brought you home with him. He was so happy. He protected you. But now, that’s one thing he regrets the most.” She gasped in mock astonishment. “And here we are with my victory award in my hands. At this point, you’re alone, Ben. No one loves you here and… as much as I hate saying it, no one will love you from this moment. My son will soon get back with David and you’ll be forgotten. Just like that.” She snapped her finger in his face.

A great pang gripped Ben’s heart. He slowly raised his head and stared into her mocking eyes.

“You wanted this, didn’t you?” His voice was barely above a whisper. “You told papa something that made him so angry, didn’t you?”

“Well, I just told him the truth that his son is a whore.” She shrugged. “And you’re right, I did want this. I didn’t even have to do much. You destroyed yourself, Ben, and I only showed everyone what you really her. You’ve lost your brother and now you dearest loving father. Your family doesn’t care about you and now I get to have my complete family without a pest in our lives. This is the way it should have been from the very beginning.”

“Papa is just angry. He’ll listen to me.”

“Will he?” She crossed her arms on her chest, wearing an evil grin. “You just broke his son’s heart and if I got it clearly, he saw you outside kissing his son’s man. I don’t think what he said here was a joke. If I were you, I’d leave from here with the little dignity that I have.”

Ben slightly closed and mourned. He felt like someone was squeezing his heart.

“And if you think you’re gonna get away with hurting my son, you don’t know me that well.” She warned, pointing angrily at him. “If I were you, I’d watch where I step. It might be a bomb.” She smiled and leaned, cupping his cheeks. “You enjoy yourself while you can without daddy to protect you.”

She leaned forward and pressed a kiss on his forehead. Ben remained there crying, his mind so crowded with so many thoughts but none to help him.

Was this it for him and his father?

***

David was pacing around the room, feeling like his feet were on fire. He felt trapped; like he was suffocating in the mist of his escape. He needed to think straight although his mind was crowded. He was developing a headache but he didn’t care.

“Dude, are you gonna sit down or I am gonna be watching you moving like a mad man the entire night?” Isaac said in frustration. “You haven’t said a single word in 20 minutes.”

David stopped and glanced at his laptop screen. “How do you expect me to calm down after what I told you? He’s not picking up his calls and I can’t get out of here. Mom has me locked up in the house.”

“I know.” Isaac hit his head. “But this isn’t helping anyone. The only thing you’re gonna do is make yourself tired.”

“I don’t care. I am worried.” He sighed, dropping to his knees. “His father seemed pretty upset. What if they’re hurting him right now? I feel so stupid because it’s my fault. He’s suffering because of me. I destroyed his life.”

“Well, you could have asked me and I would have told you that.” He rolled his eyes. “But blaming yourself isn’t gonna solve anything. I am sure he’s got some issues going on. You told me he speaks so highly of his father. I am sure he can’t hurt him.”

“Not after the way I saw him holding him.” He put his hands on his mouth. “The whole thing is killing me. I am supposed to be there with him. He shouldn’t be passing through this alone when I was the one that caused all this.”

“There’s nothing you’re gonna do.” Isaac shrugged. “All you can do right now is hope that he answers your call.”

David groaned angrily and tried the phone again. But there was no answer. He tried to call again when the door to his room opened. It was Amber.

“Did you manage?” David asked anxiously. “How’s he?”

“I am sorry, David.” Amber said softly, holding his hands. “I couldn’t even get into the house. His father has restricted anyone from going in there without his permission.”

“Fuck!” He swore, stamping his foot on the floor. “The situation is even worse than I thought. I am literally trapped in here and I cannot do anything. I need to go there and help him out. He hasn’t been answering my calls.”

David picked up the car keys from the table and began rushing out of the room with Amber calling him. He didn’t wanna hear anything. All he wanted was to see Ben and make sure he was alright. He didn’t care how but he was gonna find a way.

He came downstairs and was rushing to the exit when two bodyguards blocked him.

“Excuse me!” He said harshly. “Are you trying to get yourselves fired?”

“Sorry, sir!” One of them bowed. “We’re only following orders. We don’t wanna get fired.”

“I am gonna fire your ass.” He snapped. “Get out of my way, right now.”

“They’re doing no such thing.” Claudia announced as she came down the stairs. She cat walked to where her son was making a scene. “I thought I made it clear this afternoon that you will not be leaving this house anymore. You’re not gonna be going to the office or to meet anyone.”

David laughed. “I am not a prisoner here, mom.” He said harshly. “Why are you doing this to me?”

“Until you come back to your senses and go back to your boyfriend, you’re not gonna leave this house.” She said with her arms crossed. “You’re even lucky I haven’t locked you in your room.”

David shook his head. “Is it a crime to be in love, mom? I am in love with this boy. When will you understand this?”

“I won’t.” She shook her head. “And I suggest you go back to your room right now. Otherwise, I’ll order the guards to take you there.”

Tears formed in David’s eyes. “You may lock me up in here forever, but all it will do is make me love him more.”

He rushed upstairs.

“Mom, don’t you think you’re being unfair here?” Amber asked softly. “You’re hurting your own son and for what exactly? Shouldn’t you be happy he’s found someone that he loves?”

“I suggest you keep your mouth shut before you make me angry.” Claudia warned. “I know that you’ve been trying to reach that boy so before I lock you up inside, you better keep quiet and stop this drama.”

“I don’t understand.” She shook her head in sadness. “What’s the difference between Ben and Jim? They’re both Henandez brothers. They’ve the same blood so how did you approve of Jim and show so much hatred for Ben? He’s a good guy, mom.”

“I don’t need your opinion.” She yelled. “If you don’t know the difference then stop talking before I slap you. Now get out of my sight.”

Amber stamped her foot on the floor and stormed out of the living room.

***

Ben opened the door to the room slowly, feeling like he was walking in a lion’s den. His heart skipped a beat as he walked into the room. When he saw his father seated on the couch with his eyes on the laptop, he felt a shiver go down his spine. He had no choice but to walk to him since he was already in the room.

Reaching him, he knelt beside him and stared at him. The man didn’t even want to make eye contact with him.

“Papa!” He called softly.

He felt a loss of connection with his father. He just kept typing on his laptop without even acknowledging the fact that his son was there.

“Dad, please!” His already swollen eyes welled up. “Please, at least, look at me. Say something to me instead of ignoring me like this. I am begging you. Do not punish me so harshly. Dad?”

A look of great bitterness swept across Jerome’s face and irritation surged up inside him.

“You know that you’re my strength, papa.” He sobbed, resting his hands on his father’s thighs. “You’re the only one that I have left. If you punish me so harshly then I don’t know what I will do. You didn’t even get to hear my side of the story.”

Jerome moved his legs away, angrily putting the laptop on the table. His eyes narrowed as he stared at his son and his teeth clenched together.

“What side of the story do I need to hear?” He let out a growl of annoyance. “I already heard and saw whatever I needed to see. I don’t wanna hear any more lies from your mouth. I trusted you, gave you everything and made sure that you had all you asked from me. I tried to be a fair father to the both of you even though I neglected Jim. Whenever Elena said something, I defended you. But now I am a laughing stock.”

“Papa, I know.” He nodded. “I know this seems bad but…”

“This is worse than it seems. My son cannot such a thing to his own brother. Where are your morals? You always preach about good morals but you were busy sleeping with your brother’s fiancé? What betrayal is worse than that?”

“I did not sleep with David while he was with Jim, I swear.”

“It doesn’t matter what you say to me.” He clenched his fist angrily, rising from the chair. “I already saw the truth before my eyes. And now because of you, my son is hurt. I don’t know how to comfort him and I don’t know how to make everything better for him. If anything happens to Jim, I will not spare you, Ben.”

“I am your son too.” He mourned. “Why aren’t you listening to me, dad?”

“Yes, you are. Maybe it is my punishment for having a son like you. Maybe this is my punishment for cheating on Elena years ago. Karma is catching up with me.”

Complete hopelessness converted into tears that rain down Ben’s face at lightning speed. Every heartbeat sent a surge of pain, as if his chest was being torn apart. He dropped his eyes and saw the bracelet on his wrist and remembered the moment he had spent with his father when he had given him that bracelet.

“Do you remember when you gave me this, papa?” He raised his hand and showed it to his father. “You told me that grandpa gave it to you to give it to your son. You gave it to me because you don’t care what anyone else says about me, dad. Right now, I need you to open your heart and listen to me. Even if it’s just for a few seconds.

I will not deny that I love David so much and I want to be with him. But that’s the only truthful in this.” He wiped his tears. “I have never done anything to hurt Jim and I wouldn’t dream of it because I love him. You know how protective I am of Jim and everything I have done to make him happy. Why would I give all that away because of my jealousy? Dad…”

Before Ben could finish his sentence, Jerome stretched his hand in Ben’s face.

“Give me the bracelet right now.” He demanded. “You do not deserve that. I will give it to the person it belongs to.”

“What?” Ben gasped, shaking his head. “Papa…”

“I don’t wanna ask twice, Ben.” Jerome’s pulse raced and he breathed heavily, almost as if he would burst. “Give me the bracelet.”

“No!” Ben shook his head. “You gave this to me, papa. This means a lot to me. Don’t take it from me.”

Jerome gave his son a deadly look and gripped his arm. Ben tried to prevent his father from taking the bracelet but he was too strong. Before he knew it, his father was holding the bracelet in his hand

“You don’t deserve this.” He yelled. “I can’t believe I have a son that turned into a complete slut. Whatever wrong did I do in my past life to deserve this? I shouldn’t have brought you here in the first place. I should have left things the way they were. But I am being punished for cheating on Elena years ago. I wish I could turn back the hands of time.”

Ben felt like his heart had been ripped out. A state of misery that he couldn’t see the end of the tunnel. A terrible weight fell onto his shoulders as he knelt there. It was as though a giant boulder landed on him and he couldn’t straighten out.

“Like I said, I don’t want you anywhere near Jim.” He warned, pointing a finger in his face. “I don’t care what you do from now onwards and I don’t care where you go but stay away from him because you and I will have trouble.”

Only the tears were speaking for Ben.

“And your rights have been revoked.” He added. “You won’t be able to enjoy the same rights as him.”

Although Jerome said that, there was so much pain inside of him. But he needed to do it in order to protect his son, Jim. He couldn’t trust Ben anymore and now he needed to focus on making his son happy.

The door to the room opened and Elena let herself in, cat-walking to her husband. She wrapped her arms around him right before she kissed him passionately as if to mock the boy.

“Why are you so sad, my love?” She asked, staring into his eyes.

“I am so sorry, Elena.” Jerome said with a sad sigh. “I don’t even know what to say. If I had put restrictions on Ben from the very beginning, our son wouldn’t have gotten hurt. And now because of me… my son is out there hurting. I don’t know what I can say to make him feel better. I… I don’t know…”

“Shhh…” Elena whispered, blocking his lips with her fingers. “…you wouldn’t have known this. And I don’t want to say I told you so. At least, you have seen what type of person you were calling your son. He didn’t care that you gave him so much. He wanted what my son also had.”

Ben sat silently, hunched over and with a sense of loss so powerful that his muscles couldn’t respond to commands.

“What matters now is that you can be there for your son.” She smiled brightly, cupping his cheeks. “He needs you more than ever. I have him waiting in the car so we can take him out and try to make him happy. Are you coming?”

“Yes!” Jerome nodded.

“Let’s go.” She coiled his arm

Jerome smiled and started walking out with his wife without even looking at his son. Elena gave him a smug smile and a wink before she left the room.

After what felt like hours, Ben picked himself and walked to his room robotically where he stayed on the floor for hours, reliving every painful word that his father had told him. Maybe he was to be blamed for what had happened and he was at fault. But shouldn’t his father had attempted to listen to him, he thought? Didn’t he deserve to be listened to.

‘You won’t be able to enjoy the same rights as my son.’

‘Maybe I am being punished for what I did to Elena years ago. Karma is catching up with me.’

‘I don’t care what you do or where you go, but stay away from my son.’

Those ripped his heart to shreds. He moved in his pain and went to his wardrobe, got out a small bag and started packing some clothes while those memories haunted him. He remembered the first time he had slept in that room he had been so scared that Elena was gonna beat him to death that his father had to sleep with him.

‘Whenever you need me, just call on me and I’ll be there for you.’ Those words rang in his head like a bell. ‘I’ll never let anything happen to you, I promise. I’ll always be there to protect you from the world because you’re my son.’

‘I was so busy trying to protect you from the world that I neglected my son. I should have been protecting him from you.’

‘I don’t want you to go anywhere near my son. He doesn’t deserve a brother like you.’

He realized at that point that things had changed. His father no longer believed in him and he couldn’t even look into his face. He was no longer a part of the family just like he had feared. He had lost both his parents.

In pain, Ben struggled back to his feet, but almost immediately fell over.

‘I am so sorry dad for the pain I’ve caused you and your family.’ He thought as the tears decorated his face. ‘But I don’t think I can stay here if you cannot even look at me. I’ve caused you so much pain and now, I have to go away.’

His zipped his backpack and started walking out of the room. But before he could even reach the door, his phone started vibrating. It was David and although he didn’t wanna talk to him at that point. But his heart unconsciously moved to the screen and pressed the answer button.

“Ben!” David gasped on the other end. “Thank God you’ve answered. I have been so worried sick and mom has me locked up in the house. I cannot leave. How are you?”

Ben’s eyes welled up. “I am leaving.” He said in a voice barely above a whisper.

“What? Where are you going?” The fear in David’s voice couldn’t be masked.

“Anywhere away from here.” Ben sobbed. “I… I messed up everything and now my father doesn’t even wanna talk to me. He doesn’t regard me as his son anymore. I don’t think I can bear this… I hurt his son and the only way to resolve this is to leave.”

“What? No!” David cried on the other end. “It’s all my fault. I caused this. I should have just listened to you when you told me to leave you alone. I destroyed your life with my selfishness.”

Ben felt the water creep out of his eyes. “Honestly, I don’t even blame you. Maybe… maybe this is my fate and I cannot escape it. But I would love to thank you for showing me so much love, David. Even if it was for a short time, you showed me so much love more than most people I’ve known for years. I can’t say I regret knowing because I would be lying to you. I love you so much and maybe one day, we’re gonna meet again.”

“No-no-no!” David yelled on the other end. “You cannot leave, Ben, not like this. Where are you gonna go?”

“I don’t know.” He chuckled bitterly. “I’ll decide that when I reach the bus station.”

“No, wait for me…”

“Don’t ruin your life because of me, David.” He said softly. “You still have a family that loves you so much. Try and fix your relationship with them. Don’t blame yourself for what has happened because I don’t. Goodbye, David!”

“Ben, what…”

Ben cut the call and quickly switched it off. He didn’t want it to be harder than it was. He picked up his bag and headed down the stairs. As he was coming down the stairs, flashbacks of the first time he had entered that house came to him and he felt so hopeless.

‘This is gonna be your house now.’ His father’s voice echoed in his head. ‘You’ll have everything you need right here. Don’t feel like a stranger. It is your house and you can do whatever you want.’

He took out a small note he had written for his father and placed it on the table. He was still looking around when…

“Wow! Am I not lucky to be witnessing this scene?”

Bern heard Elena’s voice and he didn’t even bother to look in her direction. She walked elegantly to where he was and leaned to pick up the note that he had left on the table. A grin appeared on that beautiful face of hers.

“I am so sorry, papa, but I had to leave.” She read with fake emotions in her voice. “I cannot endure to stay in a house where you don’t talk to me or consider me your son anymore. I am hoping one day you will understand and forgive me for what I have done. And I am hoping you get the family you’ve always deserved.”

“Oh!” She moaned, placing her hand on his shoulder. “This is really so emotional. Why are you leaving, Ben?” Then she burst into laughter.

Right in his face, she ripped the note to shreds and threw it in his face. “And you think that’s gonna reach my husband and make him come running after you? Not a chance!” She got closer to his face. “In case you haven’t realized it yet, my husband has already disowned you. He doesn’t wanna do anything with you because he already has a family that he’s been yearning for.”

She chirped. “This is how it should have been from the very beginning, just the three of us. Destiny might be delayed but it cannot be stopped. Stay very far away from us, Ben. Go in a village and rot there for all I care. You can even join your whore of a mother. That would be good for everyone. I’ll let you go without doing anything but if I see you anywhere near my family again, I’ll send you six feet underground.”

Without a word, Ben picked up his bag and started going before Elena gripped his arm.

“One more thing.” She said as she pulled him back.

Her hand moved to his pocket and took out his phone. With an evil grin, she threw it on the floor, breaking it to pieces. Ben just looked at her without saying a word.

“Now you can go.”

He went on his way and Elena made sure she watched him walk out that door. Once she was sure, she spun around like a child as all the happiness of the world possessed her body. She was on cloud 9. Finally, the family she had always wanted.

‘Good riddance for bad rubbish.’

***

David was rushing down the stairs like the hounds of hell were after him. He was sweating profusely and breathing harshly. He had a backpack with him and he was only putting on white t-shirt and black trousers with red sneakers. He was so scared but what he was planning had to be done or he was gonna lose everything.

Before he could even reach the exit, two muscular guards blocked him.

“You better not try this shit with me.” He warned, pointing at the two of them. “You’re not gonna stop me from going out.”

“We’re just following orders.”

“To hell with your orders.” He snapped. “You can do any shit you want as soon as I am out of here. Get out of my way before I do something that we’ll all regret here.”

“Sorry, sir!” One of them apologized. “This is not easy for us. Just go back to your room like your mother told you.”

David chuckled bitterly and then took a step backward. But just like a flash, he quickly moved forward and slapped one of the guards with his open hand full across the face. It rocked him and he took a step back and then steadied himself, blinking his eyes and staring at David with his eyes wide open. He was staring into the barrel of the gun that he was sure he had a few seconds. David had gotten the gun from the guard.

“I told you I was gonna get out of here whether you liked it or not.” He said with an evil grin, pointing at the other guy. “Drop your gun or the both of you are gonna be sorry. And get on the floor.”

The other guard didn’t need to be told twice. He dropped the gun and the both of them lay on the floor.

“David!” Claudia couldn’t mask the shock in her voice. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“Don’t come closer!” David warned, directing the gun at her.

Claudia’s entire body jerked to a stand still unexpectedly. Her lips parted into an O shape and she swore her jaw almost dropped to the floor.

“What?” Her voice was barely above a whisper. “You point the gun at your mother?”

David’s eyes welled up. “I am sorry mother but I’ll not let you stop me this time. Ben is suffering because of me so why should I live happily? You’ve refused to understand my feelings and keep pushing me to someone I don’t love.”

Claudia saw the bag on his back and she knew he was about to do something stupid.

“Where are you going? Don’t tell me you’re going with that boy. Do you know how stupid that is? Get back to you room and I’ll forget this happened.” She slowly started moving towards him.

“Don’t come any closer.” He yelled, making her stop. “I’ll not do such a thing mom. The only way I am coming back to this house is you allow Ben to come here.”

“Over my dead body will I allow that.” She said angrily. “If you go out of this house, you’ll not return. You’ll seize to be my son, David.”

David chuckled bitterly, nodding. “I love you, mom, but a life without Ben is worthless. If you don’t want me as your son anymore, so be it.”

With one final look at his mother, David opened the door and began running away as fast as could. He was running so fast that he thought his legs were going to explode.

“Ma’am, should we go after him.”

“No!” Claudia shook her head. “He’s made his decision.”

She turned and stormed out of the living room. Man, she was so mad that she saw red. Her pulse raced and she breathed heavily, almost as if she would burst. Her body temperature rose, and she could feel her blood boiling.

***

Ben was seated on a bench, lost in deep thought, looking helpless and hopeless. The last bus that he had found was almost boarding and it was only a matter of minutes before his journey began. There were lots of questions on his mind but he didn’t have answers to them. He didn’t know if he was making the right decision by leaving the city but he was sure no one was gonna miss him. He was giving his father the family he had always wanted. He didn’t wanna be selfish.

Belt felt a hand on his shoulder that got him out of his thoughts. He looked to his side and found a beautiful old woman smiling at him.

“Son, we’re boarding now.”

He nodded, trying to put up a smile. “Thanks.”

Ben got up and stood still, looking all around his surroundings. It was gonna be a long time before he returned. He was only hoping that when he returned, things were gonna be different and he was gonna be happy.

He sighed. ‘Goodbye, beautiful city.’

He started heading for the bus and took one final look before he stepped inside. He had only taken one step when…

“Ben, wait!”

He heard a voice a distance from him, a very familiar voice. He quickly turned and found the greatest surprise of his life. It looked like he just saw a ghost. He froze in one place. I’m fact, he was sure that he was imagining that moment.

It was when he felt David’s arms wrapped tightly around him when he realized that the man was there. His lower body trembled as he tried coming back to reality. It was too good to be true because he remembered not telling the man anything.

“Oh my God!” David pulled away from the hug, but he held the boy’s hands. “You have no idea how happy I am that I found you. I was so scared that I had lost you.”

“David!” Ben’s voice was barely audible. “What are you doing here?”

“What? You thought I was gonna let you go alone?” He said happily. “I told God that whatever your fate was, I was gonna share it with you. And now, I am here and I am ready to go with you anywhere you want, Ben. Let’s run away together where no one will ever bother us again.”

Ben was confused. “I told you to stay with your family. Go back to them.”

“I have already made up my mind, Ben.” He shook his head, kissing his hand. “My place is by your side and nothing will ever separate you from me.”

Ben tried to open his mouth but sighed.

“You know I don’t even know where I am going.”

“We’ll figure it out together.” David held out his hand. “Now come on, we’ll talk about this later. The bus will leave us.”

Ben glanced at David’s hand. “Are you sure?”

David smiled brightly. “Like my life depends on it.”

Ben took David’s hand and they smiled at each other before they boarded the bus. They sat together, hand in hand. David placed Ben’s head on his shoulder and held him tightly like his life depended on it. The bus started and they knew at that moment that there was no going back. This was it.

What is in store for them?

To be continued…

Copyright © 2022 vanalas; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 7
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
Thanks a lot to everyone that took the time to read my work. I love you guys a lot. Don't forget to drop your comments about what you think about my work. Ciao!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter!  I cannot wait until Ben comes back stronger....Elena and now Jim are like two of a kind..the apple certainly hasn't fallen far from the tree.  So disappointed in Jerome....he's been there in some ways supporting the abuse of Ben by Elena and now he shuns him...so sad.  I can't wait for more!  Thank you!

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Shaking my d*** head! A town full of delusional, hateful, bullies with money...no morals, no empathy, no sympathy...nothing that signifies "HUMAN"! Run while you can Amber, whatever your Mom and Ben's "acquaintances" have, may be in the water and quite deadly for sane peeps. Interesting chapter...looking forward to either Ben or David picking up a real pair of missing genitals, sooner then later:thankyou:

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..