Jump to content
    vanalas
  • Author
  • 20,189 Words
  • 410 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Comments, critiques and tips are warmly welcome.

Forever My Love - 10. Chapter 10: Will it be a happily ever after for everyone? Or... will it all come crushing down?

Final chapters, I really hate them. However, we all knew this moment was gonna come. I wanted to appreciate you guys for this emotional journey and for all the support. Don't forget to drop your comments and review this story. I love you all.

“I am pregnant?” he echoed, disbelief and shock painting his features.

The room fell silent, and Amber’s eyes widened in shock. Ben’s mind on the other hand was a whirlwind of emotions, ranging from disbelief to fear. He couldn't believe he was pregnant again, and the father of that child was David, again. He slowly moved his eyes from the ultrasound to his exposed tummy, staring at it without blinking. Memories started playing in his head once again and he felt so scared.

“But… how?” Amber stammered, staring at Isaac. “How’s this possible considering that he’s a man? There has to be a mistake.”

“I have been with you the entire time.” Isaac said with a shrug. “It’s a rare but possible occurrence. Ben has a uterus and I think he has what we call persistent Mullerian duct syndrome.” He could see the confusion from Amber’s face. “He has a womb and ovaries inside of him.”

Amber was still confused. She stared at Ben who was now in tears as he touched his belly, rubbing on it softly. He couldn’t believe it. The moment he had laid his hands on that belly, he had felt something, some excitement that made his heart race. He was filled with lots of hope, and in that moment, he was happy. He was being given another chance.

“Ben!” Isaac called softly, placing a hand on his shoulder. “Are you okay? I know this must be a lot to process but how do you feel about all this?”

Ben raised his head, his eyes darting between Isaac and Amber. “I am supposed to be very scared, shocked… maybe you expect me to. But I feel so strangely excited right now, a baby…” He chuckled, tears of joy rolling down his face. “…the thought of being a father, having a child that will call me dad… how can I be scared of that.”

Isaac tried to smile but was obviously scared.

“I know, Ben…” He sighed. “…but, as much as you’re excited, this is gonna be an intense period. I would suggest…”

“That I abort it!” Ben chimed in, losing the smile on his face. “That it is gonna be dangerous as it grows because my body is not designed to carry a child?”

“Yes, but…”

“I am willing to risk it.” His mind was once again on that belly. “Even if I lose my life in the process, I am gonna make sure that this baby survives. After hearing that heartbeat… the thought of a life growing inside you, how could I kill that?”

There was silence in the room. Amber and Isaac stared at each other awkwardly, none saying anything to the other. Then they were back to looking at Ben.

Amber, still processing the news sat on the edge of the bed close to Ben.

“I understand you, Ben.” She took a deep breath. “I just don’t know what to think of this? If it is dangerous then your life…”

“No!” He should his head. “This child must survive no matter what. I have had worse and I am not gonna let anything happen to this child.”

Amber nodded. “Okay!” She combed her hair with her fingers, trying to come her nerves. “This is insane. David is never going to believe this!”

“What?” Ben gasped, panic in his eyes. “David?”

“Yes!” She nodded. “I know that is his child. Ben, you’re six weeks pregnant and if my calculations are correct, that is the exact time you and my brother spent the night out.”

“Still, that was a mistake.” He shook his head. “It was a one-night stand and both of us regret it. This is my child and besides… David is married and…”

“What?” Amber couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “But what about my brother? He deserves to know you’re carrying his child. And do you know what this shows, that you guys are destined to be together.” She chuckled excitedly. “You’re expecting a child.”

Ben was quiet for a number of seconds before he spoke.

“I know, but that doesn’t change the fact that we are not together.”

Ben took Amber’s hands and stared at her. “I know how much this means to you, Amber. But, please, don’t tell David anything. I don’t want him to know.”

“Ben, if you’re gonna keep this baby, David needs to know.” Isaac suggested. “He needs to be responsible for this pregnancy and be with you throughout. Like I said, it’s not gonna be an easy one.”

Ben was reliving all the moments he had lived six years after discovering he was pregnant. He didn’t need David then and he didn’t need him now. He was capable for it.

“I understand that both of you are trying to do what you think is best for me, especially for David.” He sighed, staring at them. “But I am telling you what I think is right. At whatever cost, I need to protect this child. There are lots of people that might try to harm me if they find out that I am carrying David’s child. I cannot take that risk.” He sighed.

Of course, it was a lie. He wasn’t gonna bring David in his life like that.

Isaac nodded in understand. “'ll respect your wishes, Ben. It's important to prioritize your well-being and the well-being of the baby. But what happens when it eventually starts showing? How are you gonna explain that?”

Ben took a deep breath. “Right now, the most important thing to me is my child.”

“Ben…” Amber rubbed on his hands. “…please, reconsider. It’s not fair that you’re gonna hide this pregnancy from him. You can't keep something like this from him. He has a right to know about his child.”

“I can’t.” He shook his head. “And you’re gonna have to respect my decision, Amber. Please!”

After careful thinking, Amber gave up. She nodded although she didn’t know how she was gonna be quiet around her brother knowing that she was hiding a very big secret from him.

“I’ll agree on one condition!” Isaac spoke, getting the attention of both Amber and Ben. “I’ll need to personally take care of you throughout this pregnancy. That means regular checkups to make sure that nothing goes wrong. If you don’t agree, I am gonna have to tell him.”

Ben chuckled, nodding. “Fine! I agree to that.”

He took a deep breath, covered his tummy and got off the bed. He was still feeling a little weak but the dizziness was gone. Against the request to rest some more, Ben needed to get out of there. He left the office, his hand never leaving his belly and the excitement it brought to him.

For Amber and Isaac, they knew that it was gonna be a difficult road ahead facing David knowing they were keeping a very big secret from him. What were they going to do? Were they going to manage?

***

“Jerome!” Elena chuckled nervously. “Honey, what are you doing here?”

She wore a nervous smile and began rushing to him.

“Honey, I was just talking to the doctor about our son.” She laughed, holding his hand sweetly. “He said he’s gonna take care of it. Why don’t we…”

“Don’t touch me!” Jerome snapped, furiously withdrawing his hand. “What the hell did I just hear you tell the doctor? Did you just threaten him?”

“No, I… I… I…”

“You can’t even say a thing.”

“I am just so scared, honey!” She said with tears welling in her eyes. “Our son… he… he…”

“Don’t even give me those crocodile tears, I need answers.” He barked. “What the hell was that for?”

“Honey, calm down.”

“Calm down?” He chuckled bitterly, raising an eyebrow. “You want me to calm down? For what exactly? After finding out that our son, the boy I raised for 23 years old, isn’t really my son?”

Elena’s eyes widened, panic setting in. But she knew in that moment that she couldn’t afford to be weak.

“W-what?” She stuttered, her hands trembling. “Who lied to you? Jim is your son, your flesh and blood.”

“My flesh and blood!” Jerome whispered, overboiling with anger. “You think I am joking? I heard everything you told him, every threat you gave him.”

“No… I…”

“I was the one that put him to this.” He snapped, raising his trembling finger. “I came here worried that my son was in a very critical condition and had lost lots of blood. But what do I find? That my blood does not match with his. I tried to find out how possible this was since you and I share the same blood type. I was like no, Elena can’t lie to me. She loves me. But I have been delusional all this time because you’ve clearly been lies to my face.”

“No!” She shook her head. “No, I love you, Jerome and you know that. All these are lies. They’re just trying to destroy our family. This could all be Ben’s…”

“Don’t you dare bring my son into this!” He sneered, his jaw shaking uncontrollably. “That boy is the only reason Jim has a chance of survival right now. Ben was generous enough to bring him here even after he tried to kill him.”

Desperation etched across her face, Elena struggled to find the right words. She knew that she had to work her magic on her husband, try to reason him, seduce him if she had to. In that state he was, she knew he was gonna snap if she wasn’t careful.

She slowly took her hands and held his, rubbing on it seductively.

“Jerome, look at me honey…” She said and when he looked at her, she raised a hand and caressed his cheek. “…all these things that are in your head must be because you’re angry. But listen to me, Jim is your son. Don’t listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. Remember all those times we were happy, just the three of us… we…”

“Don’t touch me!” Jerome growled.

Elena’s eyes widened in fear as she realized how far Jerome had fallen in his anger. She had never seen him so mad before, that look in his eyes. She tried to back away, but Jerome had lost all control. In a fit of rage, he grabbed Elena by the neck and pinned her to the table, his fingers tightening around her neck.

Elena’s eyes widened in shock as she struggled to let herself loose, but he had such a tight grip on her. She gasped for breath as she felt her air supply being cut off. She hit his hands but he was too strong and he had his weight on her, his eyes red from anger.

“Who is the father of Jim?” He hissed as he added more power. “Tell me right now!”

“Je-rome,” She managed a word.

“Who is Jim? Tell me the truth.” He demanded.

Elena knew that he was gonna kill her if she didn’t do something fast.

“Fine… I’ll tell you the truth…” She gasped. “…he’s… not your… son.”

Jerome’s grip loosened on her and she fell to the floor, gasping. She looked at her husband who looked down at her with so much rage. Not even in her wildest nightmare had she thought that her husband would do that to her.

“Now tell me, who is the father of that boy?” He demanded. “Who?”

Elena’s body shook in fear as she slowly got up, gazing into the eyes of the man.

“Jerome…”

“Who?” His hands hit furiously on the table and Elena jumped out.

“I don’t know!” She said abruptly as her heart pounded so hard in her chest.

Jerome looked at his wife in shock, a frown appearing on his face. “What the fuck do you mean?”

“I don’t know.” Tears welled up in Elena’s eyes, but she refused to let them fall. “Please, understand me, I made a mistake, Jerome.”

“A mistake?" Jerome’s fists clenched, and his knuckles turned white. "This is not a mistake, Elena! You've been lying to me for over two decades! And you cannot tell me you don’t know which man you fucked to get pregnant. Who is the father of Jim?”

“I don’t know!” Her voice rose like a storm. “I have no idea because he’s not even mine!”

Silence hung in the room like a heavy cloud. Jerome stared at Elena in disbelief, his mind struggling to comprehend her words. Elena’s eyes widened, realizing the gravity of what she had just said. Her world crumbled right under her feet and she felt a shiver go down her spine.

"What... what did you just say?" Jerome’s voice was low.

Elena’s tears finally found their way down her cheeks, making her face wet. Her hands and mouth trembled. She couldn’t remember the last time she was that scared.

“I was scared, Jerome. Scared of losing you, of losing our family," Elena pleaded, her voice cracking. “You were expecting a baby with your secretary and she couldn’t get rid of it even when I threatened her to.”

Jerome’s face became pale at the revelation. He looked at Elena like she was a stranger.

“When you found out about it, you were happy. You were about to leave me.” She cried. “My world revolved around you and you were about to leave.” She took a nervous breath. “I was at the bar drinking when I met this lady woman crying that she had been impregnated by one of her clients and she wanted to get rid of it. I gave her an offer. She would keep the baby and I would pay her a huge sum of money after she gave birth.”

“What-what about all those ultrasound pictures you showed me?” He gasped. “The pregnancy test? I was there with you at one point during your ultrasound test.”

“It was… was…” She stammered. “…was one of the arrangements I had made with the doctor. I wasn’t pregnant but I saw how happy you were after I told you that. I knew that you were gonna come back to me. I couldn’t lose you, Jerome!”

“All those months you went away…”

“I had to make you believe it.” She stuttered. “I had to go away from you.”

Jerome stood there, feeling the strength leave him. He remembered Elena going away for almost 6 months and only came back after she had given birth. Now he felt like an idiot, a fool for years. His sister had warned him against her and now her words rang in his head.

“I didn't want to hurt you. I was young, scared, and I made a mistake. Please, don't let this destroy our family.” She pleaded. “Please, let's find a way to move past it. We can work through this together. We can go to counseling, rebuild our trust.”

Jerome’s anger intensified, and he took a step closer to her, his breath hot with rage.

“Trust?” He said menacingly. “What trust? You built our entire life on a lie. I've raised that boy, loved him, thinking he was my own blood, and you've been deceiving me from the start. You knew that Jim wasn’t my blood, not even yours and Ben was the only true son. And yet you mistreated my blood, made me treat him unfairly.”

Elena shook her head, putting her hands together. “I am sorry, Jerome, but what was I supposed to do? You cheated on me and worse, you even got her pregnant. That boy reminded me of that all the time. I didn’t mean to hurt you, I loved you. My love…” She spoke softly. “…it’s me, Elena, your soulmate. You know you love me so much. Let’s just move past this.”

Jerome’s anger intensified, and he slammed his palm against the table. "Move past this? You've shattered everything, Elena. Our marriage, our trust – it's all a damn facade. You talk about betrayal but have you forgotten what led me to cheating on you?" He asked angrily. “You pushed me away with your attitude, always fighting with me. I was scared of coming home, so don’t you dare put this on me.” He warned. “And if you wanted a baby, why couldn’t you get pregnant like any damn woman? You’re a deceitful woman, a snake.”

Elena hesitated, her lower lip trembling. “You think I would have wanted this if I had that option?” She said harshly. “Which woman would wanna go through that…”

“A snake? And that’s what you are.” He yelled. “You were so concerned about the changes your body would go through once you…”

“No!” She yelled. “It’s because I couldn’t get pregnant even if I wanted to.” She was now breathing fast as she spoke. She was both angry and scared. “I had an abortion while I was in high school and it ruined me. My womb was so damaged and they had to remove it. I couldn’t conceive anymore.”

Silence hung between the two of them as they stared at each other, so many unspoken words between them. Elena had to do her magic. She quickly grabbed Jerome’s hand but he retaliated.

“My love, I am so sorry.” She pleaded. “We’ve been happy and you know that. Jim is still your son no matter what. We can look past this and we can be happy. We can still be a family. Let's talk about this calmly. We can figure it out.”

But Jerome wasn't listening. His anger had reached a boiling point, and he grabbed Elena’s arm forcefully. "You've destroyed our family, Elena. You've destroyed everything!" he spat, his face inches away from hers. “Does Jim know about this?”

“No!” She shook abruptly. “And he cannot know about this. He is innocent and this will only destroy him, please. He is your son.”

Jerome shook his head.

“I did what I did to keep our family!” She blurted. “I did what I had to do to keep you satisfied and to keep this family intact.”

Jerome chuckled bitterly, nodding. “All I have ever wanted is to live peacefully with my children. And here I have been living with a deceitful woman who has been trying to kill the only offspring I have.” He raised his trembling finger. “I have forgiven you for so many things, but not this time, Elena. played with my life, with our family. I won't let you get away with it.”

“What?” She gasped. “What do you mean by that? You know how much I love you.”

“Love? You don't know the first thing about love, Lisa. You’ve destroyed us, all of us.”

In a menacing tone, Jerome continued, “I want you to get out of my sight. Go back home, park all your belongings and get the hell out of my house and most especially, my life. I don’t want to see you anywhere near me or my company, Elena. We’re done!”

Those words hit Elena like a storm and she felt strength leave her. At first, she laughed but when she saw that serious look in her husband’s face, she stood there and stared at him like he’d grown another head. Fear crept in her soul, rendering her cold and helpless. The tears she felt building in her eyes felt like a mixture of chili and fire.

“You can’t be serious.” She cried as tears made their way down her face. “After all these years, you’re just gonna let it go like that over a simple mistake?”

“Mistake?” He snapped. “You call this a mistake? Elena, this isn’t a mistake because you knew what you were doing. I was the one that was trying to fix our family, hurting my son just to please you. But I have had it. You’ve tried to hurt him on several occasions but it all makes sense now.”

“No!” She dropped to her knees, gripping his knees. “Please, baby, I'll do anything to make it right. Please, just give me a chance to fix this. I’ll apologize to Ben, I’ll be nice to him, I swear.”

“Stay away from my son!” He warned, angrily moving away from her. “If I see you an inch close to Ben, I’ll kill you with my bare hands and that’s not a threat. It’s a promise. I don’t ever wanna see you again. We’re done here, Elena.”

“Jerome, please…”

Before she could say anything, he stormed out of the room, leaving Elena sobbing in the wreckage of the shattered truth. She sat on the cold floor, hitting her face to wake up from that nightmare. But it was the truth, Jerome had ended things with her. When the reality kicked in, she screamed at the top of her voice, crying like a child. Was this it, she thought?

***

As Ben cautiously pushed open the door to the hospital room, a whirlwind of emotions churned within him. His heart raced as he stepped into the sterile, fluorescent-lit space. His brother, Jim, lay motionless on the bed, several bruises, cuts and bandages on his face, a stark reminder of the horrific accident that had nearly claimed his life.

Seeing him, Ben felt concerned. He had never seen Jim in that situation and it made him so scared. He slowly walked towards him, his hands trembling as he approached the bed, his stomach knotting with anxiety.

He couldn't shake the memories of the moment he had almost lost his life, and the chilling realization that his own brother had tried to harm him.

Ben’s conscience gnawed at him as he stood beside Jim’s bed, staring at his brother's still form. He couldn't understand Jim’s hatred, which had driven him to such extreme measures. Regardless of their differences, Jim was his flesh and blood, and seeing him in this vulnerable position triggered a complicated range of emotions in Ben.

A lump formed in Ben’s throat as he reached out tentatively, his fingers hovering over Jim’s hand. His hands trembled as he reached out to touch Jim’s hand, the coldness of the skin sending shivers down his spine.

“I am so sorry, Jim.” He said, his voice barely above a whisper. “I am sorry that this happened to you. I have never wished anything bad to happen to you despite the differences we have between us. We used to be so close, inseparable, but look at us now… you tried to kill me and now you’re in this position.”

Ben’s eyes welled up and he leaned towards his brother.

“Do you remember when we were growing up, we promised each other that no matter what, nothing was gonna come between us?” He whispered, his voice trembling. “Despite what has happened, I have still held on to those hopes, Jim. That one day, we’re gonna put our differences aside and we’re do everything that we did when we were in the university, just the two of us.

I am so sorry for all the wrongs I have done to you, Jim. I don’t know if you can hear me, but let’s end all this hatred. It has done nothing but hurt us, hurt our family. I love you so much, so so much, Jim.”

Despite everything, he still loved his brother, even in the face of the pain and betrayal that now bound them together. Ben sat in silence, grappling with the complexity of emotions. A few minutes passed before he heard the door to the room opening.

He glanced in the direction and saw his father entering weakly. He looked bothered. His shirt was halfway buttoned, folded at the sleeves. His eyes were red and he looked upset, a frown on his face. Seeing him, Ben couldn’t help but get concerned.

“Dad,” He called, slowly walking towards him. “Are you okay? You don’t see so well. Why don’t you come and take a seat?”

But Jerome didn’t move an inch. He stared at his son, guilt eating him up from the inside like a sharp toothed monster. He reached out a trembling hand, placing it gently on Ben’s cheek. Tears welled in his eyes and his mouth trembled.

“I am so sorry, Ben.” He said, his voice trembling. “I am so sorry for the way I have treated you from the very beginning. For the way I made you feel like you were not welcome, for not defending you as much when Elena tried to abuse you. You suffered so much and I never even tried to make that go away.”

“Dad…” Ben was so shocked.

“No, I am such a bad father.” He sobbed, putting his hands together. “I am sorry for those six years I wasn’t with you, for disowning you. If I had been with you, none of that would have happened. You wouldn’t have suffered so much and you wouldn’t have lost the baby. Please, forgive me and punish me in any way you want.”

“Dad!” Ben felt his heart skip a beat, his stomach twisting. “Why are you talking like this? What’s wrong? I thought we already talked about this and I told you that I forgive you. You’re a very good man and I wouldn’t ask for another father if I was given a chance.” He held his father’s hands. “What’s going on?”

Jerome dropped his eyes to the floor. He didn’t know how to break the news to his son.

“You know I went to give blood for your brother, Jim," his father said, his tone strained. "I just found out that, he… he…” He paused and took a deep breath. “He's not... He's not really your brother.”

The words hung in the air like a heavy fog, suffocating and disorienting. Ben felt as if the ground had been ripped from beneath him, leaving him suspended in a void of disbelief. He glanced towards the bed before he looked at his father again.

“I don’t understand, father.” He managed to choke out, his voice barely above a whisper. “What do you mean?”

“I… I just found out a few minutes ago, myself.” He sobbed. “Elena… she… she told me that he’s not even her child. She cannot conceive because her womb got damaged from the abortion she had years ago. She… paid someone who gave her the child years ago. She’s been deceiving me all this time.”

Shock washed over Ben, his eyes widening as he stared at his father in disbelief. Anguish crept into Ben’s eyes as he grappled with the revelation. He stared for a long time at the unconscious man on the bed, so many memories playing at the back of his head. All that time they had grown up together, how he had been treated by Elena and all the sacrifices he had made because he thought he was unworthy.

“She has been deceiving us all this time, made me believe he was my son.” He whispered. “All this time, I was so focused on the boy I thought was my son, even disowned my blood. Ben… I feel so terrible but I also feel I deserve it for all the pain I have caused you.”

He took Ben’s hands, startling the boy. When Ben looked at his father, he was filled with confusion.

“Son, you’re my only son.” He continued. “You’re my only blood, my heir. Look how I almost messed it up because of lies.”

Ben felt the tears welling up in his eyes, hot and stinging.

“Does Jim know about this?”

“No!” He shook his head. “According to Elena, she was the only that knew up till today.”

“What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know.” He sighed, combing his hair with his fingers. “I am so confused right now because I consider him as my son. But… he needs to know the truth. I don’t think I can bear looking at him without the thought that he’s not my son after all these years.”

Ben didn’t know how to react. He was filled with a lot of emotions.

“No matter what has happened, he’s still my brother.” Ben said, his voice restrained. “I am not saying that you shouldn’t tell him but… I don’t think anything needs to change. Nothing changes for me. Jim is my brother, and that's not going to change just because of this.”

He stared at his brother.

“He grew in this family, grew up knowing you as his father. Knowing this and knowing that it might change will shutter him and his dreams.” He said, staring at his father. “No matter what has happened, revelation or not, I love Jim and nothing is gonna change that. And it shouldn’t change for you too.

We can't change the past, but we can choose how we move forward. Blood or not, he's my brother, and I'm not letting go of that. We're family, and that's what matters to me.”

A fragile smile broke on Jerome’s face, and he nodded appreciatively. Ben smiled and enveloped his father in a tight embrace. Jerome returned the embrace, the weight of the truth still heavy on his shoulders, but comforted by the unwavering support of his son.

They hugged for what felt like hours until they heard the door opening. They broke the hug and Ben felt his heart skip a beat when he saw David standing in the doorway with a concerned expression etched across his face. Their eyes met, and for a fleeting moment, time seemed to stand still. The air crackled with unspoken words, emotions swirling between them like a storm.

“Ben!”

Ben snapped out of his mood when he heard that sweet voice before he felt arms wrapping around him. He was so happy. He leaned and took the boy in his arms, hugging him tightly. He couldn’t help but glance at David that still stood there without saying a word.

David was with Amber and Claudia that immediately rushed to Jim’s bedside, holding his hand as she sobbed. She couldn’t believe it when she saw the wounds on his face.

“Ben, you don’t like me anymore?” Michael complained, the expression on his face sad. “Why don’t you come to see me?”

“Oh, honey…” Ben smiled sheepishly, cupping the boy’s cheeks. He was so excited. “…it’s not about that. I have just been busy, you know. And I call you from time to time, don’t I?”

“It’s not the same!” He said, dropping his eyes to the floor. “I want to see you. Don’t you like me anymore?”

“Michael, I…”

“Michael!” Amber chimed in, holding the boy’s hands. “Ben has been so busy but he made a promise that he was gonna come see you. Come on,” She smiled brightly. “Stand with me, okay.”

The boy nodded and went with Amber. Ben slowly stood, taking a glance at his brother.

“Oh my God, Jim.” Claudia sobbed, holding his hand tightly. “What happened to you? How did this happen? Why did it happen?”

“He was involved in an accident, Mrs. Paola.” Jerome managed a word. “He’s stable. But… he tried to run over Ben. That’s what led him sustaining all these injuries.”

“What?” David gasped, his eyes widening.

A heavy silence settled over them, broken only by the steady beeping of the heart monitor beside Jim’s bed. Everyone was in shock, except for Jerome and Ben. David got scared, scared of the thoughts that Ben could have died.

“How are you doing?” He said abruptly. “Are you hurt?”

“I am okay.”

“I didn't know,” David murmured, his voice filled with sympathy. "I'm sorry. It’s probably my fault.”

Ben nodded, the room now charged with an unspoken understanding. Ben’s heart raced as he met David’s gaze. The weight of the past, the pain, and the longing collided in that moment. For a heartbeat, it felt like the world outside the hospital room ceased to exist. David hesitantly reached out, his fingers grazing Ben’s hand. The touch sent a shiver through Ben’s body.

“I should go," Ben said, tearing his gaze away from David. "I just... I wanted to make sure he's okay.”

“I’ll take you! I need to make sure you reach home safely.”

Ben looked towards the direction of the voice and saw Brandon standing there with his hands in his pocket. And he had thought the man had probably gone by then. He sheepishly smiled, went to his father and hugged him before he went to Brandon. The man wrapped an arm around him and they left.

David didn’t know what he felt when he saw that, a dull ache emanating from deep in his chest. He took a deep breath before he went and stood beside Jim’s bed, staring at him. But even though he was there, he couldn’t help but think about Ben and wonder why he felt so deeply connect to him.

***

“Ben!” Alejandra cried out, her voice a mix of fear and relief.

Without hesitation, she wrapped her arms tightly around her son, pulling him into a fierce embrace. Tears welled up in her eyes as she held him close, grateful that he was still there with her.

"Oh, my baby boy," She whispered, her voice trembling with emotion. "I was so scared. I can't bear the thought of losing you. Do you know how scared I was?”

Before he could respond, Carlos and Gustavo joined in and they were just as emotional.

“You silly boy.” Gustavo said as she patted his shoulder. “How could you scare us like that?”

“I knew that nothing good could come out of that stupid boy.” Carlos commented as he sobbed. “I would have killed him if something had happened to you, I swear.”

“I am okay.” Ben said with a smile. “It’s only a miracle that I survived. If not for Brandon, I wouldn’t have made it.”

He pulled away from the hug and took Brandon’s hand, pulling him closer.

“This is Brandon Charles!” He said with a smile. “He’s the one that saved my life today. If not for him, I would have died.”

“Brandon?”

Brandon approached with a kind and genuine smile, putting his hands together in respect. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm just glad I could be there for Ben when he needed help."

Alejandra’s eyes welled up again, but this time with gratitude. She pulled Brandon into a warm embrace, silently thanking him for bringing Ben back to her.

"Thank you, Brandon. Thank you for saving my boy," she whispered, her voice filled with sincerity. “Ben means a lot to me and I don’t know how I would have survived without him.”

“Well, I am glad I was there at the time.” He said, glancing at him. “Guess, it was destiny that took me to that place. Otherwise, there’s a lot to process, especially after finding out his own brother wanted to kill him.”

Ben couldn’t help but blush.

“Great!” She chuckled. “I wanna to cook a very special meal this evening to celebrate Ben’s health and his return to us. I want you to stay so that I can thank you.”

“I would love that but…” He opened his arms. “…look at me, I am a mess and…”

“No worries,” Carlos said, smiling at the handsome man. “I should have some clothes that can fit you.”

“Good!” Gustavo smiled. “It’s settled then. You’re staying for dinner.”

The man smiled and thanked the family. He followed Carlos upstairs to take a shower and have a change of clothes. As soon as he left, Ben lost the smile on his face and tears built in his eyes again. He stared at both Gustavo and Alejandra before he spoke again.

“Brandon is not only my savior but he is also my first boyfriend.” He said with tears strolling down his face. “He didn’t only save my life today; he saved the life of… my baby.” He said hesitantly. “I’m pregnant.”

Alejandra’s eyes widened in astonishment, her breath caught in her throat, and her mind struggled to process this unexpected twist. She looked at her husband who was equally in shock.

“What?” She let out a breath.

“6 weeks.” Ben added. “I just found out today at the hospital.”

“Wow!” Alejandra gasped. “You’re pregnant, but how? Last time I checked, you’re not seeing anyone and I thought they removed the womb last time.”

“I didn’t consent to it.” He sighed, dropping his eyes to the floor. He didn’t know how they were going to take what he was going to tell them next. “And the father is… well, it’s David.”

Silence hung in the room as Alejandra and Gustavo processed the unexpected revelation. The air was thick with tension until Gustavo finally spoke, breaking the quietude, "Wait, what? David, as in David Paola?”

Ben nodded, unable to meet their eyes. "I know it's a lot to take in, and I'm sorry for dropping this bombshell on you. I don’t even know how to react to it but… I didn’t want to hide this from you.” He raised his head and stared at them both. “You guys are like my parents and I will understand if you’re mad. There was no way I was gonna hide this from you since it was gonna start showing sooner or later.”

Alejandra and Gustavo exchanged glances once more, but to Ben’s surprise, the shock on their faces gave way to understanding. After a moment, Alejandra walked over to him, enveloping him in a warm embrace. Gustavo joined in, completing the circle of support.

“Ben, how could you ever think that we would be mad at you?” She said, tears welling in her eyes. “This is the best news ever, the thought of little feet running in this house is the best thing ever. No matter, we love you and we support you.”

Gustavo nodded in agreement, his voice gentle, "You’re going to provide this family with another beautiful child, a future heir. How can we be mad at you? We will support you every step of the way. But does David know about this?”

Ben broke the hug and shook his head. “And I don’t think I am gonna tell him.”

“Oh, let me get my hands on that man.” Gustavo groaned, clenching his fists. “I am gonna kill him this time. There’s no way he’s gonna get away with impregnating you once again.”

Ben and Alejandra burst into laughter. In that moment, surrounded by one of the people he loved most in the world, he knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, they would face them together. He felt lucky, but he was scared… scared of what was gonna happen if David got to know that he was pregnant for him. He hoped Amber wasn’t gonna tell on him.

***

Ben sat on the balcony in his pajamas, rubbing on his tummy, the cool evening breeze gently rustling his hair as he stared out into the city skyline, lost in thought. As he was enveloped in his own world, the sound of the balcony door sliding open startled him. Turning slightly, he saw Brandon stepping out, a hesitant expression on his face. Their eyes met, and for a moment, neither spoke.

“Hey,” Brandon said softly, getting closer. “Do you mind if I join you? I really want to have a chat with you.”

“No problem!” Ben said with a smile, moving to create some space for the hunk.

Brandon joined on the comfy couch and he couldn’t help but stare at him. Memories of their time together in high school, how happy they had been. The day he had proposed to the boy under that tree they used to hang out at after school. It brought a smile to Brandon’s face.

“It’s been a while, Ben.” He sighed, smiling at him. “8 years now and look at you… you’ve grown, you’re more beautiful and God… I feel like an idiot for leaving like that. How have you been?”

“I have been fine, I guess.” He shrugged. “A lot has happened as you can see and things are no longer like they used to.”

“To my surprise!” Brandon laughed. “I am still getting shivers whenever I remember what happened a few hours ago.”

“Same here!” Ben took a deep breath. “If not for you, I don’t know what would have happened. I owe my life to you, Brandon. Thank you so much!”

“It’s my pleasure!” He sighed. He couldn’t stop staring at Ben. “And I just wanna apologize for the way I treated you, Ben.” He slowly took his hands and held them in his. “For the way I talked to you, the way I ended things and the way I left. I…”

“You don’t have to apologize, Brandon.” Ben said, a warm smile spreading across his face. “I am the one that should apologize. It was because of me that you got hurt, she hurt you because of me.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t justify how I talked to you.” He lost the smile on his face. “I was so scared. I got beaten up badly, she threatened my mother and I… I got scared. My mother got fired from her job and we had no choice but to leave the country.”

“I am so sorry, Brandon. If I wasn’t in your life, none of that would have happened.”

“Don’t apologize!” He winked. “No matter what happened, knowing you was one of the best things that happened to me. The last 8 years, I had so many regrets. I tried to contact you and I was so unlucky.”

“Well, the last six years wasn’t really blissful for me. I was literally a ghost.” He joked.

Brandon laughed. “I would understand. And your family is really amazing, Ben, but I am so confused right now.” He paused for a second. “What happened with your family? What happened with your brother?”

Ben stared at Brandon for what felt like hours before he said anything. He didn’t wanna lie to the man because he was his savior, at least, he deserved to know the truth.

“Brace yourself!” He laughed.

Ben found himself opening up to Brandon, his words tumbling out in a rush of honesty and vulnerability. He spoke of his brother's hatred, of the rift that had torn their family apart, all because of the love they fought over a man. He told him of how he had been disowned and how he had been stayed with David for more than 9 months before their happy life was disrupted. He told him everything.

Brandon listened in silence, his expression a mirror of empathy and understanding. Brandon placed a reassuring hand on Ben's shoulder.

"Sometimes love is messy," Brandon said softly, his gaze meeting Ben's with unwavering sincerity. “And I am so sorry for what you went through, no one deserves to go through that. You’re a good man and you deserve all the love in the world, all the happiness. It's unfortunate that it came at the cost of your relationship with Alex.” He took a moment. “Was it the man I met at the hospital today, David?”

“You know him?” Ben’s eyes widened.

“David Paola?” Brandon chuckled. “Who doesn’t know one of the most successful businessmen in the country? And I didn’t need to guess because I think that man still loves you a lot. I could tell by the way he looked at you.”

Ben looked at Brandon, his face pale.

“I know you might not want to hear it but… he is in love with you. But who wouldn’t, you’re such a handsome boy.” He teased, slightly pushing him. “Anyone would be lucky to have you.”

Ben blushed. “Thank you so much. Now who’s teasing who.” He winked. “But enough about me, what about you? Seeing anyone?”

“Hehehe…” Brandon laughed sheepishly, scratching his head. “…things haven’t been too well in the dating department the last 8 years honestly. I have been with a couple of guys but… that was it. It didn’t go anywhere serious. Maybe I didn’t pay much attention to them.”

“hmmmm….” Ben raised an eyebrow. “…says the hunk himself.”

“Hunk?” Brandon burst into laughter. “Me?”

“Have you looked at yourself in the mirror?” Ben asked. “I am pretty sure that a lot of men are throwing themselves at you.”

“Yeah… but it’s not every day you find a Ben.” He teased.

Ben laughed at the top of his voice. The man was making him feel better and he appreciated it. As the night unfolded, Brandon and Ben continued to share stories, reminiscing about the good times they once had together. It was an amazing night and by the time they realized it, it was already too late but they still continued chatting.

***

A few days later…

*

As Ben pushed the door to the hospital room open, his breath caught in his throat. He froze in the doorway when he saw his father engaged in a heated argument with Elena. Their voices carried the weight of anger and frustration, creating an uncomfortable tension in the air. Elena was classy as usual and causing trouble as usual, he thought. He hadn’t seen his father’s face look like that before.

Besides them was Jim who was seated in a wheelchair, his eyes fixed on the ground. His face looked pale and he still had bruises on his face and a huge bandage that partly covered his left eye. Seeing him, Ben felt his heart get heavy.

“You think I don’t care about Jim? Is that what you’re saying?” Jerome asked angrily.

“It’s not about what I am saying.” Elena argued. “It’s what’s the truth here. Have you forgotten what you told me days back? You don’t want to associate yourself with someone that is not your son when you have your own son with you. I will not let Jim suffer at the hands of you or Ben.”

To say Jerome was surprised would be an understatement. He knew Elena was trying to cause trouble by saying all that.

“Elena, stop this nonsense.” He snapped. “No matter what the truth is, Jim is still my son and I love him so. What you’re saying is all in your mind and you know it. I have raised this boy since he was a baby and my love for him is not gonna change.”

“Lies!” She seethed. “You wanna act like a saint now that he’s awake?” She chuckled bitterly. “Okay. Are you gonna make him the sole heir of your companies? Are you gonna love him more than you love your own son? Are you gonna let everything go?”

“What?” He gasped. “How can you ask me such a thing, Elena. Ben…”

“Then I have gotten my answer.” She shrugged. “You care more about Ben. It's always been like that and now that you know the truth, Jim is the one that is gonna be treated like trash. He is the one that is gonna be eating crumbs that fall from Ben’s bread. Jim needs someone who's truly invested in his well-being.”

Ben, standing in the doorway, felt a pang of guilt as he stared at his brother who seemed hurt. He never wanted him to experience the amount of sorrow that he did at that time.

“I mean…” She opened her arms. “…who would have thought that you’d divorce me, your wife, because of such a matter? But here we are, Jerome, and like I have always said, you’re a coward.”

“You can call me whatever you want. But you cannot question my love for Jim.”

Elena’s gaze hardened. "Your actions speak louder than words. If you truly cared about Jim, you wouldn’t have broken off our marriage. If you truly cared about Jim, you wouldn’t have accused him of trying to kill Ben and worse, filing a complaint against him.”

Jerome’s face became pale.

“You think I don’t know.” She yelled. “Everything is in the light and now, you cannot hide.”

Ben watched as Elena’s eyes flickered to him, and her expression darkened with resentment.

“Oh, and there he is.” She clapped, an evil grin appearing on her face. “The star of the show has joined us. You’re just in time to see the results of your work, Ben.”

Then she lost the smile on her face, her chest rising and falling. Ben glanced at his brother and when their eyes met, he felt awful.

“This is all your fault,” she spat, her words slicing through the tension like a knife. "You've always been the cause of our problems. Ever since you came into our lives, everything has fallen apart. I hope you’re happy with what you’ve caused, Ben.”

“Elena…” Jerome groaned.

“What?” She yelled. “Isn’t it the truth? You let Ben manipulate you, and now Jim is paying the price.”

“Enough!” Ben snapped, raising his hand to keep Elena quiet. “I won't let you make me the scapegoat for your problems. If your marriage is falling apart, it's not because of me. Instead of blaming me, you should take a hard look at yourself and your own actions.”

Elena's eyes widened in shock at Ben's outburst, momentarily taken aback by his sudden defiance. But her shock quickly turned to anger as she bristled with indignation.

“How dare you speak to me like that!” She spat, her voice dripping with venom. “You ungrateful child! I welcomed you into this family, and this is how you repay me?”

“Am I supposed to thank you?” Ben gasped in shock. “After everything I went through in your hands? If there is anyone to be blamed for everything that is going on here, it is you. You’re the one that is causing Jim the pain you’re talking about. You’re the genesis of all the problems because despite the revelation, no one is asking Jim to go away because no matter what, he grew up in this family. He is my brother. He is a Henandez.”

Ben got closer to Elena, gazing into her face like he was searching for something.

“My father is a very good man and I actually applaud him for managing to stay with someone like you.” He seethed. “I have no idea how he managed to stay with a snake like you all this time.”

“How dare you!” Elena screamed, raising her hand furiously.

“Don’t you dare!” Ben said harshly, catching her hand mid-air, his grip firm, but not aggressive. “Don’t think that I am gonna allow you to lay your hands on me, Elena, or maybe you seem to forget what happened when last time you tried it. Don’t make me remind you.”

Elena, taken aback by Ben's unexpected defiance, tried to pull her hand away, but he held it firmly. "Let go of me!" she demanded, her anger escalating.

Ben's eyes bore into hers, a warning in his tone. “I should be feeling pity for you, but unfortunately, I am not. My father deserves so much better than a manipulative witch. And if you think I am gonna let you try to hurt me or my family, you’re in for a big surprise.”

With a final warning glance, he released her hands, and Elena stumbled back, seething with rage. She stared at Ben with so much hatred, feeling the urge to hurt him. But she knew better than to try anything in that moment.

“I am going with mom.” Jim finally spoke, breaking the silence in the room. His voice was so low.

“What?” Ben gasped, shifting his eyes to him. “But Jim, I don’t think you need to leave. Your place is by dad’s side and you know that.”

“As what?” He asked, raising his eyes to him. The hatred in his eyes couldn’t be missed. “As your servant? As one of your drivers or what?”

“Why would you assume that?”

"You've ruined everything, Ben," Jim spat out, his eyes piercing into Ben's soul. "You destroyed our family, wrecked my marriage to David, and stole my happiness along with my inheritance. You’re the reason for all this misery in my life."

“Jim, I never intended for any of this to happen. I've always cared about you and the family. I left this family just so that you would be happy.”

Jim's bitterness was palpable as he continued, "Cared? Is that what you call it? I was happy before you came into my life, but ever since you came, my life has been in shambles. You stole David away from me, and now we’re divorced. My inheritance is gone and I have nothing left.”

Ben stared at Jim in disbelief. He tried to say a word but nothing came out of his mouth.

Jim's expression remained cold and unyielding. "You've always been the golden child, the one everyone loved. But behind that façade, you're just a snake. You took everything from me, and now you're trying to play the victim. I can't believe I ever thought of you as my brother.”

Ben took a deep breath, trying to find the strength to stand his ground.

“Jim, you're forgetting something," he said, his voice steady. "You're in that position because you tried to run me over. So, who between us is the bitter one? Instead of me handing you over to the police right now, I am trying to reason with you. Had you succeeded, would we be having this conversation?” He asked. Jim was quiet.

“I spent years making excuses for you, covering for you, and sacrificing my own happiness for you," Ben retorted. "If you’re gonna sit there and throw it all in my face, then it is not worth it. I've had enough. You can do whatever you want now. I'm done. I won’t let you accuse me because of your wrong decisions. If this is how you want it to end then go ahead."

With those words, Ben turned on his heel and walked away leaving the accusations and the bitterness behind. He couldn’t continue begging someone that saw nothing but the worst in him. He was expecting a baby for goodness’ sake and he still had to find his other child. That was his priority.

“And his true colors come out!” Elena shrugged. “He is happy after destroying this family.”

“Elena, I am done trying to convince you.” Jerome sighed.

“Well, so am I.” She spoke. “I hope you don’t regret this one day when you realize we were the true family you had.”

She took her handbag and began pushing Jim’s wheelchair out of the room, an evil grin on her face. Jerome remained alone, feeling bad that one of his sons had left. But he understood and couldn’t do anything. He had to work with what he had.

***

Ben walked down the hospital corridor, walking slowly as he appeared to not even be aware of his environment. His mind was a whirlwind of thoughts, lost in the labyrinth of his own contemplation. As he turned a corner, his gaze suddenly locked onto a familiar figure - David.

David appeared visibly distraught, a weight of sadness hanging over him. Without hesitation, he approached Ben with a mix of uncertainty and determination.

"Ben," he called out, his voice carrying a hint of remorse.

 

Caught off guard, Ben looked at David, his expression a blend of surprise and wariness.

"Can we talk? Please, it's important," he pleaded. “I know I’ve been bothering you a lot lately but I would love to talk to you, if you don’t mind.”

Ben nodded, unsure of what David wanted to talk to him about. He followed the man to Isaac’s office where Isaac and Amber were. But after they arrived, they decided to give them some privacy. Ben was scared, very scared because in his mind, Amber had probably told David about his pregnancy. Ben felt a mix of emotions, unsure of what to expect.

David took a deep breath, his eyes meeting Ben's.

“Thank you so much for agreeing to talk to me. You don’t have to say anything, I just want you to hear me out.” He said, feeling extremely nervous.

“I've been having a lot of flashbacks recently and I’ve doing a lot of thinking,” he began, his words heavy with sincerity. “First of all, I just wanna apologize for all the trouble that I’ve put you through. If not for me, Jim wouldn’t have tried to kill you.” He took a long break before he continued.

“Looking at the past, I’ve realized that I have been unfair to you. I blame myself for all the pain and misery I've caused you.”

Ben remained silent, absorbing David's words with a mix of disbelief and vulnerability.

“I remember most of my time with you Ben, how happy you made me feel.” He chuckled with tears welling in his eyes. “I remember choosing you over my family because you made me so happy. I remember our life together despite all the hardships we encountered but we persevered because we loved each other. We were happy. But…” He paused and sobbed. “…I also remember seeing you in that hall, staring at me. You didn’t say anything to me but your eyes were pleading with me and I still chose to marry someone else.

I don’t know why I did what I did, why I left you when you needed me the most.” He cried. “I have tried to understand and I have come to a conclusion that I was weak. I never gave you what you deserved. I was selfish… I was a coward.” He said in between sobs. “I want you to know that I'm sorry, Ben. Truly sorry. You deserved better, and I let you down.”

Tears welled up in Ben's eyes, emotions swirling within him. He struggled to find the right words. He wanted to say so much, but the weight of his emotions held his tongue captive.

“Now I know why you’ve been so distant with me, why you don’t want to do anything with me. And I deserve every hatred in this world for hurting you.” He tried rubbing his tears but his face was wet again. “You gave up so much for you and when you needed me the most, I abandoned you. I am a coward and I don’t deserve you. This is my punishment for leaving you.”

David moved closer. Gently, he cupped Ben's face, staring into those beautiful eyes.

“I promise I won't intrude in your life anymore. I just needed you to know that I understand now," David whispered. “I just want you to find the happiness you deserve.”

With a heavy heart and tears strolling down his face, Ben nodded without uttering a word. It hurt… he felt like someone was pulling on his heart. As David drew closer, his touch gentle and tender, he pressed a soft kiss to Ben's cheek, a silent promise to let him be.

“You be happy and know that I will always love you!”

That word sent a shiver down Ben’s spine and he got scared. Before Ben could gather his thoughts, he heard a sharp clatter as his phone slipped from his trembling fingers, crashing to the floor. David leaned down to pick the phone for Ben but as he took the phone in his hands, the screen lit and he simply froze, his eyes widening in shock.

“What... what is this?” David stammered, his voice trembling as he stared at the screen in disbelief.

Ben glanced at the screen, seeing a picture of his lost child. “That’s… that’s my son the day he was born. I just got it recently.”

David's world seemed to tilt on its axis as he turned to face Ben, his mind struggling to comprehend the revelation. His heart pounded in his chest and his breath caught in his throat.

"Your son? But... how?" he questioned, his voice trembling with disbelief and confusion. “I thought you said your child died years ago.”

Ben shook his head. “He was stolen the day he was born. All this time, I thought my child died but he didn’t.”

“B-but how?” David stuttered, feeling suddenly cold. His eyes widened in disbelief. “How is this possible? This is a picture of Michael when he was a baby.”

The world around Ben seemed to fade as his mind raced to comprehend the staggering revelation. His heart pounded in his chest as the reality sank in. A whirlwind of emotions – shock, disbelief, and an overwhelming sense of dreaming – collided within Ben, leaving him breathless. He took a deep, shaky breath, gripping David’s hands.

“Michael is the baby in that picture?” Ben mumbled, the words escaping his lips almost like a prayer. “Are you sure?”

“I have pictures of him as a baby in my house.” David was still confused. “But how can he be your son?”

“How can you have my son?” He gasped, almost breathless. “How did he end up with you?”

“I don’t remember but…” He paused and took a harsh breath. “…Amber told me that mom found him at the gate of our old house.”

Tears flooded Ben’s face and the pain of years spent in anguish suddenly turned the disbelief that he had finally found his long lost-son. He was so overwhelmed with emotions that he found it difficult to breath. Before he knew it, he was being held in David’s arms tightly. He had almost passed out.

“I need to see him.” He whispered. “Please, David, take me to Michael.”

David, now equally emotional, nodded in agreement. As the two stared at each other, there was something else that was emanating, a connection that neither of them didn’t even knew was there.

***

Claudia stepped into the garden, the crisp air rustling the leaves and carrying the scent of blooming flowers. As her eyes scanned the familiar surroundings, they froze on a figure standing near the fountain. Her breath caught in her throat, and a wave of nervousness washed over her. What was he doing here? She hadn't seen him in years, not since that fateful day.

Claudia approached him, her steps hesitant, her mind buzzing with questions and fears. When she reached him, her voice trembled as she spoke.

“What are you doing here?” Her voice quivered. “You know how risky it is for you to be anywhere near me. Why did you come here?”

Dr. Peters looked up, fear etched across his face. “Claudia, I had to see you. It's urgent.” He got closer. “I need your help. Right now, as we speak, I am a wanted man. There are some people after me and I had no choice but to come to you.”

“Help? Wanted?” She frowned. “What are you talking about? What did you do?”

Dr. Peters took a deep breath, sweat dripping down his face. “The child, Claudia. The baby I gave you six years ago. Ben found out that his child didn’t die and now he has some people chasing me.”

Claudia’s blood turned to ice in her veins.

“W-what? How did that happen?”

“I don’t know.” Dr. Peters shook his head. “I was surprised to see him at my hospital with the nurse that helped him when he was pregnant. I have been running ever since and I almost got caught. They’re closing in on me, on us.”

Claudia staggered back, her world spinning as the full weight of his words sank in. Her heart began racing and she became visibly distressed. She remembered that day, clear as day, when she had made plans to steal her grandson. Why now? They couldn’t know the truth, she thought.

“What do you mean on us?” She stammered. “Last time I checked, I paid you to keep your mouth shut. Our deal ended a long time ago and we said we weren’t gonna see each other or contact each other. You shouldn’t have come here.”

“I had no choice!” He sighed. “If I get caught, you will get caught. I have a family and I can’t just put them in trouble, madam. You’re gonna have to help me get out of this. You’re my only hope.”

Claudia's eyes in disbelief at the revelation. She knew the danger they were both in.

“We can't talk here,” Claudia whispered, glancing around cautiously. “It's too risky. You need to go into hiding, and I'll find a way to contact you. We'll figure this out.”

Before Dr. Peters could respond…

“Mom!”

Claudia froze in fear as she heard her son's voice right behind her. The curiosity in his voice sent chills down her spine. Her heart raced, panic settling in. She turned slowly, finding him near her. Her mind raced, her thoughts a jumble of fear and desperation.

“Mom? Who is this man?”

“This is... an old friend, sweetheart. We were just catching up. Why don't you go inside for a moment?” She stuttered, her hands trembling.

David stood there, staring at the man with his eyes narrowed. “He looks familiar.” He said. “Have I met him before?”

Claudia tried to think fast but…

“Dr. Peters?” Ben’s voice came, filled with recognition. “What are you doing here? What’s going on?”

The color drained from Claudia's face as the truth unraveled before her. Her hands trembled as she met Dr. Peters' horrified gaze, the realization crashing down on them both. Ben came into view together with Amber and Isaac who were equally surprised. In that moment, they knew that their past had caught up with them in the most devastating way possible.

“You know him?” Amber gasped, a frown appearing on his face.

“He is the man I’ve been looking for.” He said, his eyes not leaving the obviously trembling man. “I wanted to ask him about my lost child but he ran away. I’ve been looking for him ever since and he’s been hiding.”

“Mom?” David began, his voice trembling with a mix of anger and confusion. “What’s going on here? Why are you with this man? First… I find out that Michael is possibly Ben’s child and now…” He paused gesturing to the man. “Did you steal Ben’s baby? Why? I thought you hated him.”

Claudia's eyes darted away from his gaze, her hands trembling slightly at her sides. "David, I... I didn't mean for any of this to happen," she stammered, her voice barely above a whisper. "Please, understand me, son. I did this for you. I couldn't bear to watch my grandson grow up away from you. I did it for you.”

“Grandson?” David’s confusion deepened. “What are you talking about?”

Claudia’s bottom lip quivered and tears welled in her eyes.

“Michael… he is your son.” She stammered. “Ben was pregnant.”

David's jaw dropped, and he shook his head in disbelief. His heart raced as he stood in front of his mother, his mind struggling to comprehend the words she had just uttered. The room felt stifling, and the air hung heavy with unspoken tension.

“What? Pregnant?” He couldn't fathom the gravity of the revelation that Claudia had just dropped on him. "Wait a minute," David stammered, "Are you telling me Ben was pregnant? That's impossible. Ben's a man."

David's gaze shifted towards Ben, a knot forming in his stomach. “Ben..." he whispered, his voice choked with emotion. "Is it true?"

Ben was too stunned to speak. He just stared at Claudia without even blinking. He was in a whirlwind of emotions, anger, disbelief, pain. He had spent 6 years suffering when she very well knew that his child was alive. How could she do this to him. The realization hit him like a tidal wave, crashing over him with a force he couldn't resist.

“It’s true!” Isaac answered. “Ben has persistent mullerian duct syndrome, meaning he has a womb. He was possibly pregnant 6 years ago.”

A tumult of emotions swirled within David, threatening to overwhelm him.

“So… all this time, you knew Michael was my son. You knew…” He gasped, feeling out of breath. “…you never even said a word. Why did you do this if you knew from the very beginning?”

Tears welled up in Claudia's eyes as she pleaded, "I was scared, David. Scared of losing you. I didn’t know how to come out to you. And you loved him so much, so that didn’t really matter. Son, please…”

“That’s bullshit, mom!” Amber snapped, furiously rushing to her mother. “You played this game from the very beginning. You knew and still, you still kept the truth to yourself. All those times Jim mistreated Michael, you stood and watched. What kind of person are you, mom?”

David's fists clenched at his sides, a surge of anger coursing through him. “For once, mom, tell me the truth. You’ve been feeding me all these lies the last 6 years and I demand to know the truth.”

Claudia gazed at her son as tears streamed down her face in torrents, feeling like her heart was about to run away from her.

“Son…”

“Mom!” He groaned.

Claudia sobbed, glancing at Ben who stared at her.

“Alright!” She nodded. She got close to her son, her body trembling in fear. “6 years ago, when you ran away with Ben… you came back after many months and you were in need of money. You said that Ben had cancer and… he needed surgery in order for him to survive. I agreed to help you but… but only on the condition that you marry Jim.”

David's eyes widened in disbelief.

“Although you didn’t agree at first, you came back after seeing the pain he was in.” She sobbed. “Your love for Ben made you agree to marry Jim in order to save him.”

She watched as realization dawned on David's face, his eyes widening in shock and disbelief. And then, like a dam bursting, memories flooded back to him, memories of that fateful night when everything changed.

David's breath caught in his throat as he struggled to process it all, the weight of the truth crashing down on him like a tidal wave. "No... no, it can't be..." he gasped, his voice barely a whisper as he felt his world unraveling around him.

“You got married to Jim and… and…” She stammered. “…I tried to fulfill the end of our bargain but… but Ben refused the surgery and opted to die instead. He… he stayed like that and we thought it was the tumor growing but we discovered that he was pregnant. We didn’t think he would survive it but he had a baby, a son… your son.

I couldn’t see that child growing away from you, I couldn’t. So, I paid Dr. Peters to steal the pain and replace it with a dead child. I brought the baby home under the pretense that I found it at the gate.”

Claudia tried to reach out to comfort him, but David recoiled, his anger intensifying.

“Don’t touch me!” He warned, pointing his trembling finger at her. “I hate you so much!" He shouted, his chest heaving with a mixture of rage and despair.

Tears blurred her vision as she realized the extent of the damage she had caused, the irreparable rift that now lay between them.

“I am sorry,” she whispered, her voice barely audible over his sobs. “I am so, so sorry. I didn’t mean for this to happen. I just wanted to see you close to your son, David. You didn’t deserve to be away from him.”

“He didn’t deserve to be away from his son?” Ben suddenly burst out, shaking his head. “What about me? Do you know the pain you caused me? Do you know the anguish I went through? Do you know how many times I tried to commit suicide? Do you know how many times I blamed myself for the death of that baby?”

Claudia tried to speak, but Ben continued, his emotions pouring out like a torrent.

“You had no right to take him away from me. No right to deny me the chance to be a father to my own child," Ben's fists clenched at his sides, and tears rolled down his face. "Six years, Claudia. Six years of wondering what I did wrong that God had to take my child. Six years of torment and torture when you very well knew the truth.”

Claudia wailed, shaking her head. She couldn’t find the words to say to Ben.

“What kind of person steals a child from their own father? What kind of grandmother deprives her grandson of the love and connection he deserves?" Ben's voice broke, and he furiously wiped away the tears but his face was wet again.

“I am sorry. I thought... I thought it was for the best. I thought I was protecting him.”

“Protecting him?" Ben's voice rose. "You didn't protect him; you robbed him of a father's love, of a family. And you robbed me of the chance to be a father. I know you hated me so much but what gave you gave you the right to play God with our lives?"

“I am sorry… God knows that I have been living with this guilt for years now. I just didn’t know what to say. Please, forgive me.” She put her hands together.

Before Ben could respond, his attention was drawn to Dr. Peters. Anger and betrayal surged within him as he turned his gaze towards the man who had deceived him.

“And You," He hissed, his gaze narrowing at Dr. Peters. "You were supposed to be a doctor, someone I trusted with my life. And all along, you were working with her, stealing my son from me.”

Dr. Peters shifted uncomfortably but remained silent.

“I’ll make you pay for this, I swear.” He vowed. “You’ll pay for all the pain and the misery you’ve caused me. I…” He paused and took a harsh breath. “… I…. ouch!” He screamed in pain.

Ben's distress had deepened, and the stress of the confrontation began to take a physical toll. Sharp, stabbing pains shot through his abdomen, and he screamed, clutching his stomach, gasping for breath. It was so painful that his vision blurred for a second. David, seeing Ben stumble, reacted quickly, rushing forward to support him.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he asked, his voice filled with concern as he steadied Ben. “Are you okay?”

Ben winced in pain, holding on tightly to the man.

“Ben, you need to calm down. Stress isn't good for the baby."

There was silence as everyone stared at Isaac in shock, except for Ben who was so focused on the pain. The news hit David so hard he felt like he was dreaming. Slowly, he drifted his eyes to Ben, his mind struggling to process the unexpected revelation.

"The baby?" David repeated, his voice barely above a whisper.

Ben raised his face, his eyes meeting with David. He nodded slowly, tears streaming down his face. David’s heart began racing as he held Ben tighter and carefully.

"I'm... I'm going to be a father again?" David stammered. He didn’t need to be a genius to know that it was his baby. He didn’t know when he began crying but he was filled with a myriad of emotions.

Claudia was filled with so much guilt. She slowly walked towards them before her daughter blocked her and man was she pissed.

“I’ll not let you get anywhere close to them. Do you plan on stealing that baby too?”

Claudia shook her head. “No, Amber, how could you…”

“I just have one question for you, mom.” She said, her jaw shaking in anger. “Why? Why did you do all this? You saw your son’s happiness lay with Ben and yet you tried to destroy that, even to the extent of manipulating your own son. Why did you this? Why do you care so much about someone who’s not your child over your own son? Why?”

Claudia felt a shiver go down her spine when she heard that. She didn’t want to hide anything from her children.

“When Elena approached me years back to help her set David with Jim, I didn’t wanna do it. I wanted him to make his decisions.” She began. “But Elena knew some secrets of mine, something from my past… some illegal dealings I did and something I am not proud of, something I wanted to stay buried forever because it could ruin me.”

“What?”

“She threatened to expose that unless I helped her set the two together.” She continued. “I cannot go into details right now but I wanted to protect you and David. I wanted to protect our family and businesses and besides, it didn’t seem like a bad idea. I liked Jim and I thought he would make my son happy.”

Amber shook her head, furiously rubbing the tear that went down her cheek.

“You’re just selfish, mom.” She said harshly, her fists clenched. “You just revealed your true colors to us and I don’t think I’ll see you the same way ever again.”

Claudia cried softly, watching as her children looked like she was a stranger.

“Let me take you inside.” David, whispered to Ben.

David's hands tremble as he cradled Ben in his arms, the weight of the revelation about Ben's pregnancy and his mother's long-hidden secret pressing down on him. His anger towards Claudia was palpable, but concern for Ben took precedence. Ben clung to David, his face strained with pain from the stomach cramps.

David shot a stern look at Claudia, his eyes filled with betrayal and frustration. Claudia met his gaze with tear-filled eyes, a mix of guilt and regret etched on her face. The tension hang in the air as David carried Ben inside.

Once in the living room, David gently places Ben on the couch, still holding him close. Isaac checked him and made sure that everything was fine. Ben sat on the couch, taking slow and deep breaths to calm himself, his hands gently rubbing his belly.

As Ben relaxed, he suddenly heard the sound of little footsteps approaching. He raised his head and saw Michael running towards them, a smile across his little face. The sight of the boy sent a surge of emotion through Ben's heart, a mix of joy and sorrow.

“Daddy!” Michael exclaimed, throwing himself into David's arms.

David hugged his son tightly, looking over Michael's shoulder at Ben. The guilt in his eyes deepened, realizing the pain Ben had endured over the past five years. He now understood the love that he had for him, all the sacrifices he had made for him.

Tears welled up in Ben's eyes as he watched the scene unfold. He stood up slowly, his hands still resting protectively on his belly. David slowly put his son down and when he saw Ben, his excitement reached its maximum. Ben dropped to his knees, opening his arms widely. Michael didn’t need to be told. He rushed into those arms and felt safe when Ben wrapped those arms around him, shielding him from the wicked world.

“Ben, you came like you promised.”

Ben had hugged the boy but what he felt at that moment was nothing like he had experienced.

“Yes, baby,” He said, chuckling in his tears. “I promised you, didn’t I? And this time, I won’t let you go. I am taking you with me.”

“Yeh…” Michael said excitedly.

Ben, holding Michael in his arms, looked up at David with tears in his eyes.

“I can’t undo the past, but I will not let my son stay here any longer.” He said in an emotional tone. “I can’t let him be in such a toxic environment.”

David, filled with guilt, nodded solemnly. “You’re right, and I won’t stand in your way. You can take him.”

Ben tightened his grip on Michael, rising from the floor. David moved closer and kissed his son’s cheek, trying not to be as emotional.

“I want you to go with Ben for now, okay?” When his son nodded, he kissed him again.

“Will you come with us, daddy?”

“Soon! I will come find you very soon. Daddy needs to do something right now.”

Ben and David knew that they had a lot to do with explaining to their son. But both knew that they had to do it slowly. With that, Ben turned away, cradling Michael in his arms. He began walking towards the door, feeling like each step he made towards the exit, he left some of his pain and sorrow in that house. He was with his son, the son he always thought he lost.

When he reached the exit, he paused for a moment, glancing back at David with a mixture of sadness and pain, then continued out the door, leaving David in the living room, grappling with the weight of the painful truth he had found out.

One thing was clear, it wasn’t gonna be long before he followed because he felt his heart going with them.

***

As Ben stepped his foot inside the mansion, he felt a cold wind hit his skin, sending shivers down his spine. He held Michael tightly in his arms, his head laying on his shoulder. The boy was sleeping comfortably in his arms and Ben didn’t want to let him go.

“Ben!”

Ben’s eyes looked in the direction of the voice and saw his family, including his father rushing towards him. He didn’t miss the worry on their faces and the shock when they saw Michael with him. Alejandra and Jerome exchanged puzzled glances.

“Where have you been?” Alejandra asked. “All of us have been worried about you and you weren’t picking your phone.”

“Why do you have David’s son?” Jerome asked with a frown on his face.

A lump formed in Ben's throat as walked towards the living room and carefully laid Michael down on the couch. The boy stirred slightly but remained peacefully asleep. With his eyes still on that handsome boy, Ben steadied himself for what he was about to reveal.

“I was at David’s house.” He started, taking a deep breath as he stared at them. “This is David’s son. My son.”

The room fell silent as the weight of Ben's words hung in the air. Jerome's eyes widened, and Alejandra's jaw dropped in astonishment.

“What?” Jerome stammered, unable to comprehend the revelation.

Ben swallowed hard, his eyes welling up with tears. “David saw the picture on my phone and he asked why I had Michael’s baby pictures.”

He began narrating what had happened, not leaving any details. His family listened attentively, acting like they were frozen.

“…I found her talking to Dr. Peters and she revealed that with his help, she stole my son the day he was born because she didn’t want him to be far away from David.”

He told them every detail and they listened, too stunned to speak, their minds reeling with the enormity of Ben's revelation.

“How could she do that?” Alejandra snarled, her fists clenched. “Does she know what she did to all of us all these years, especially to you? I swear to God I am gonna make sure that woman pays for what she has done.”

“This is kidnapping, and she needs to be held accountable.” Gustavo agreed. “All these years, after what she did, I will make sure that she feels every pain that she caused you.”

“I agree with you.” Carlos nodded. “That woman is really despicable, but aren’t we all forgetting something. Claudia is a very powerful woman and taking her down will not be as easy as you think it will be.”

“And you think that will stop me!” Alejandra hissed, shaking her head. “Even if it means personally making her pay, I am gonna do it. We’re also a powerful family and we’re gonna make sure she pays for all the damages she caused.”

Ben sat on the edge of the couch, his eyes fixed on the boy as if trying to etch every detail into his memory. The truth had unfolded like a cruel joke, revealing that the child he believed to be lost was, in fact, right within his reach all along.

His hands trembled as he reached out to gently stroke Michael's hair, his fingertips lingering on the soft strands. The weight of the situation pressed down on Ben's shoulders, and his heart ached with the weight of missed opportunities, moments stolen by the cruel twist of fate.

“I was so close to him all this time.” He said, his voice a fragile whisper. He traced the curve of Michael's cheek with trembling fingers. “I should have known. All those times I wanted to be close to him… the times he wanted to spend with me… how he made me forget about my pain and sorrows whenever he was around. How could he have been so blind? So oblivious to the truth that lay hidden in plain sight? What kind of father Am I?”

He leaned closer and kissed his son’s hands, tears running down his face.

“I'm so sorry, Michael,” Ben whispered, his voice choked with emotion. “I should have known. I should have been there for you. Please, forgive dad for not being there for you all these years.”

He felt an arm wrapping around him.

“Ben, my son, don’t do this to yourself.” Jerome reassured. “You couldn’t have known that he was your son because you thought your child died. What you did for this child in the little time you knew him was more than Jim did for him the last six years. You’re an amazing dad and I know that Michael is gonna be happy with you.”

Ben nodded, his shoulders shaking with each convulsive sob. "But he's my son, Dad. I should have known. I should have protected him.”

Alejandra rubbed her tears. She had to be strong for Ben. She leaned in front of him, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

“No, Ben, you’re not gonna cry because you’ve won this battle.” She gave a reassuring smile. “You promised to bring our grandson home and you fulfilled that. Right now, Michael needs you. The past is gone, but you have a chance to make up for lost time.”

I know but…”

“No!” She cupped his cheeks and rubbed his tears. “Michael does not need to see this side of you. Besides, it isn’t just about Michael. You need to take care of yourself for the sake of that child growing inside you.”

Jerome’s eyes widened in shock. “What did you just say?”

“Ben is pregnant.” Alejandra gave a slight smile to Jerome. “You’re gonna be a grandfather once again, Jerome.”

“What?” He gasped before a smile spread across his face. “Why didn’t you tell me, sweetie? And who is the father?”

“Because you had problems of your own. Ben found out that he was pregnant the day that son of a bitch tried to murder him.” She took a deep breath, trying to clam herself. “And it’s David.”

“Wow!” Jerome had too much information to process.

He had a lot of questions but seeing his son in that state, he didn’t want to question him anymore. He took his hands in his and gave him a hug. Ben embraced his father and never wanted to let go. He cried softly while the man soothed him by rubbing his back to make him feel better. Ben cried but he knew things were bound to get better. He didn’t need to search for his son anymore. He was gonna protect him.

***

Ben sat comfortably on the couch, a warm smile playing on his lips as he watched his son, Michael, playing happily on the floor with some toys. The room echoed with the joyful laughter of the little boy, filling Ben's heart with pure happiness and a range of emotion.

Lost in the moment, Ben heard Alejandra’s voice and he looked up to answer her. To his surprise, she stood there with David who was staring at him without any expression on his face. Ben was surprised but before he could process it, Michael’s eyes lit up, and with a delighted squeal, he rushed to his father. David's eyes sparkled with joy as he lifted Michael into his arms, the reunion between father and son a heartwarming sight for Ben.

“Daddy!” He squealed, almost jumping in those strong arms.

“Hey, baby.” David chuckled. “You missed me that much? But I was with you yesterday.”

“Yes!” He nodded.

David smiled, putting his son on the floor. “I missed you too. But I wanna talk to Ben right now and then, I’ll take you to get you anything you want.”

The boy jumped in excitement. David couldn’t help but feel proud. He had a son, a biological son and was expecting another one on the way. What could be more exciting than that. But he wasn’t completely happy.

“Ben,” His eyes shifted. “I was hoping that we talked-about us, about Michael.”

Feeling a knot forming in the pit of his stomach, Ben nodded, acknowledging the need for a discussion. Before any more words could be exchanged, Alejandra took charge.

“Michael, sweetheart, why don’t we go outside and play for a bit?” She suggested, taking the boy’s hands. “Let’s leave these two to talk.”

As the two left, there was obviously a lot that the two needed to talk about. David hesitantly took a seat beside Ben, gazing into his eyes. God, how much he wanted to hold him and kiss him. But he couldn’t. It was gonna be unfair.

“I am so sorry, Ben.” He began. “I know you’re probably tired of hearing this but I truly am. I feel like such an idiot because I started all this. I should have stayed with you from the very beginning. I shouldn’t have left you in that hospital to suffer alone with our child.”

Ben nodded, his own heart heavy with the weight of their shared history. "It's been a rough road, David. And I was filled with so much anger because I thought you betrayed me. You couldn’t stay with me because I was dying so you rushed to marry Jim. I didn’t believe it even when Elena came to rub it in my face until I saw it myself.”

“I would never do that to you.” David shook his head. “When I said that I loved you and made that promise to you, I meant every word. Now that I remember everything, I feel like an idiot. I now know why I always felt like I was looking for something.”

Ben chuckled. “You remember everything now?”

“Yes! Most of the things,” He nodded. “I had my mother and Dr. Peters arrested yesterday for what they did, for what they made you go through. And the police are looking for Elena but it seems like she disappeared. She was the one that caused my accident and she was also the one that tried to have you murdered when your father got shot. My mother confessed yesterday.”

To say Ben was shocked would be an understatement. He looked at David like he’d grown another head.

“My mother used to run a brothel many years ago and also dealt in illegal drugs.” It was hard to say but David had to come clean. “She was on the run from cops when she was framed of murder. She had plastic surgery and she said she changed. She doesn’t know how Elena knew about her past but she used that against her to get me married to Jim just to hurt you. She apologizes to you and I am not giving an excuse because I don’t think I’ll forgive her for what she did to you.”

Shock rippled through Ben, his heart pounding in his chest. Tears welled in David’s eyes, anguish written all over his face.

“I know I've made so many mistakes. But please, believe me when I say that I love you and our child more than anything in this world.” David said, his voice breaking. “Leaving you alone in that hospital was the worst mistake of my life.”

Ben sighed, fighting his vulnerability. “I will not lie, David, I would have preferred that you stay with me in that hospital till my last breath. But I also understand what you had to go through, to sacrifice yourself so that I could be saved. I know it wasn’t an easy decision.”

He moved closer and grasped David’s hands. “Thank you so much. I understand your love for me, but…” He paused and took a deep breath. “…look at us. A lot has happened, with us… with our families… with our son. Right now, as we speak, our families are broken and we can’t just ignore that. We have a lot to work through and even at that, I don’t know if things will ever go back to normal.”

David nodded, tears streaming down his face. “You’re right.” David squeezed Ben's hand tightly. “But I am willing to do whatever it takes. I'll spend the rest of my life doing so if that’s what it will take. I will do it for you, Michael and our unborn child.”

Ben smiled sheepishly, staring into those beautiful eyes.

“I've been thinking... you know, about the baby. Do you mind if I... if I touch your belly?”

Ben, though initially hesitant, saw the sincerity in David's eyes. He sighed softly and nodded, “Sure, go ahead.”

David gently placed his hand on Ben's pregnant belly, feeling the warmth and softness beneath his fingertips. There was a moment of connection, and he could have sworn he felt the baby’s subtle movement from within. His eyes widened with amazement and he laughed.

“Wow! Did you feel that?” He exclaimed. “Yeah, it’s daddy. I think the baby is excited that I am here.”

Ben laughed. “I think it’s too small to make movements, David.”

“I know.” He whispered. “But I am just so excited right now. I never thought I’d have a chance of having my own child and now I am expecting the second one. I can die happily.”

David took a deep breath, his eyes never leaving Ben's.

“I want to be there for you, for our baby. I don't want to miss a single moment, like I did with Michael. Ben, would you consider moving in with me? I want to take care of you, and I want to be there every step of the way.”

Ben's breath caught in his throat, his gaze searching David's face… he didn’t even know what he was searching for.

“David… I don’t know. We just discussed this and I…”

“I am not asking you to move in with me as my husband, Ben.” He pleaded. “I want to be responsible for you. To protect you and our child. I want to be part of it all. Be the one to get you things you’re craving… be the one to wake up in the middle of the night when you need water…” He laughed. “…be the one to run around. I don’t want to miss. Please, don’t deny me this opportunity. And Amber and Isaac are gonna be with us. That way, Isaac can monitor you. Please!” He put his hands together.

“I don't know, David,” Ben murmured, his voice laced with doubt. “It's a big step.”

David reached out, gently placing his hand on Ben's, his touch reassuring and comforting. “I know it's a lot to consider, Ben. But promise me you'll think about it?”

After what felt like hours, Ben finally nodded, giving the hunk some ray of hope. David leaned in, resting his head on Ben's thighs. Ben was surprised but soon, a smile lit on his face as his hands found themselves in David’s hair. There was a moment of quiet intimacy, and David closed his eyes, hoping that Ben could feel the depth of his love and the sincerity in his desire to be a true partner and father.

***

From that day, things started changing for Ben… his happiness slowly started returning. He was catching up on the lost time with his son, by spending more time with him. Ben taught his son how to make chocolates and it was one of the best times he’d spent with him.

David was constantly showing up to be with his son and check up on Ben. Together, they slowly talked to their son and it didn’t take time before he started calling Ben, ‘dad.’ It was one of the most joyous things Ben had experienced.

Ben had never received love the way he did at that time. He was helping his father with his work since he was gonna be the heir to the companies and own them all in future. He was also helping with the chocolate company. Although exhausting, he couldn’t have wanted it any better.

Minutes turned to hours quicker… hours to days… days to weeks. Ben’s pregnancy was growing and it was starting to show. Along with its growth, Ben was starting to experience the backache, reminding him of what he had gone through during his first pregnancy. His cravings were getting out of hand and so were his mood swings.

After asking 100s of times, Ben finally gave in to moving in with David. He received much love than he had expected with David, Amber and Isaac taking very good care of him. The five of them were living in Isaac’s house and every day was a day to remember.

True to his word, David was taking care of Ben’s cravings, helping massage his back, helping with baby shopping and making sure he was available for Ben. He moved into Ben’s room although they weren’t sharing the bed. They talked like friends… and their connection was growing stronger. None of them could deny the sexual tension and yearning between them.

Ben’s pregnancy was growing and he was finding it hard to do certain things on his own. He couldn’t bathe on his own… he couldn’t dress on his own… he couldn’t even go down stairs on his own. David was helping with that. Sometimes they would just sit quietly and practice yoga with Ben seated between the hunk’s things, helping him with the movements. It was fun.

But as months went by, Ben was having some usual pains and slight bleeds. But everything was okay. He knew he was nearing the week Isaac had told him they were gonna have to operate and he couldn’t wait to meet his child.

***

8 months later

*

Thunder roared angrily like Zeus was sending a warning bolt… the rains outside poured in torrents, pounding against the windows like a drumbeat. It wasn’t like that a few minutes ago. The rains had started suddenly and they were getting heavier.

Ben's breaths quickened, his hands clutching at his abdomen as sharp cramps surged through him. He winced, trying to steady himself against the kitchen counter. Panic set in as he realized the abdominal pain was different, more intense than anything he had been feeling the past few months. It dawned on him - he was going into labor. But how, he thought? He still had a few more weeks.

Ben was alone at the house. David, Amber and Michael had gone to get some things and he remembered insisting that he was okay being alone. Isaac was at work and he was all alone. He glanced at his phone and realized that there was no network.

Desperation set in as Ben stumbled to the fridge, frantically grabbing a bottle of water. He gulped it down, hoping to find some relief. The flickering energy-efficient bulbs overhead dimly illuminated the room, casting eerie shadows on the walls. He paused, taking a deep breath and attempting to collect his thoughts.

Just as he considered making his way to the door to call for help, the room plunged into darkness. The power had gone out, leaving only the feeble glow of the energy-saving lights. Ben hesitated, his heart racing in the dimly lit kitchen.

As he turned to move, a sudden movement caught his eye. In the shadows by the doorway, a figure stood, shrouded in darkness. Fear gripped him as he squinted, trying to discern the features of the intruder. The figure's eyes bore into him, an angry intensity that sent shivers down Ben's spine.

Trembling, Ben took a tentative step backward, his hand reaching out blindly for something—anything—to defend himself.

“So, this is where you’ve been hiding?” An angry voice spoke.

That voice sent chills down Ben’s. As the man walked into the dimly lit kitchen, Ben felt his heart begin to race as mind caught up.

“Jim,” A whisper escaped his lips. He didn’t even realize he spoke.

Jim looked different. He had an eye patch on his left eye and an evil grin on his face. He wore black shirt with black trousers and black boots. Something about him made Ben so uncomfortable, he wanted to run away.

“Why do you look scared?” Jim opened his arms. “Aren’t you happy to see me?”

“What are you doing here?”

“Oh!” He chirped, getting closer. “I am really disappointed. And here I was thinking we were gonna have a family reunion but…”

When Jim looked at pregnant Ben, he felt like he was suddenly possessed. His fists clenched and his whole body vibrated in anger.

“You thought you could steal David from me and start a family?” He screamed. “You and that bastard in your womb don’t deserve to live.”

Fear clenched at Ben's chest as he realized the gravity of the situation. He tried to move but Jim rushed to him and gripped his jaw, his nails digging in Ben’s face. Ben groaned in pain, trying to fight off but he was too weak.

“You have no shame being pregnant for my David, you freak!” He screamed in Ben’s face, his eye red. “After what you did to me.”

“Jim…. Please….” Ben managed to speak.

“Please?” Jim screamed, pushing Ben hard on the counter. Ben screamed in pain but Jim didn’t care. “Look at me very well. Do you see what you did to me?” He seethed, grabbing him harder. “I lost my eye in that accident because of you. I lost my inheritance because of you…”

He threw Ben hard. Ben hit the counter hard and he felt a sharp, cutting pain in his abdomen. His hands spread across the counter trying to find anything to save himself. He was scared… he was breathing shakily… he was in pain… he needed to escape.

“But I always knew that I would have the last laugh and today, I got that opportunity. I’ll waste you right here and David will find you dead.”

Ben could hear Jim getting closer. As his hands desperately searched for something on the counter, he touched something hard, a pan. He quickly gripped it, turned and swung as hard as he could. He hit Jim on the face, sending him flying to the floor.

Clutching his belly, Ben began heading for the door as fast as he could in panic mode. He reached the living room and was about to head towards one of the room when he heard footsteps behind him. Before he could comprehend, he felt a searing pain on his side. He glanced down to see a knife in Jim's hand, the blade stained with betrayal. Shock washed over him as he stumbled backward, realizing the gravity of the situation. He dropped to the floor, looking up at the man that grinned evilly at him.

“I have waited for this moment for so long.” Jim’s laughter was that of a psycho. “You destroyed my life, you selfish bitch!” He screamed, gripping the knife harder.

Ben crawled backwards slowly, blood staining the floor as he did. He glanced at his belly and seeing the blood there made he so helpless. He couldn’t scream, except for the tears that spoke for him. Jim had stabbed him in the belly.

“My baby….” He managed a word.

“Do you know what you made me do?” He chuckled bitterly. “Do you know I killed the woman I called mother all these years? If you had died that day, none of this would have happened. I would have remained the only son and heir to all the wealth. I would have remained the only man that David loves.” He yelled. “I wouldn’t have found out that I am just a son of some whore. I wouldn’t have developed all this hatred for mom and blamed her for ruining my life. I wouldn’t have killed her.”

Jim loomed over him, a chilling determination in his eyes, fueled by jealousy and vengeance.

“And now it’s your turn.” He laughed manically. “Goodbye to you and that bastard!”

Jim’s face contorted with rage, raised the gleaming knife toward Ben. Ben, visibly terrified and vulnerable, cradled his pregnant belly, pleading for mercy with wide eyes. But before he could strike, his hand mid-air, preventing the knife from plunging into Ben's flesh.

Before he could understand what had happened, he was sent staggering backward with his jaw feeling like it had been broken. Next thing he saw was David staring at him with so much anger, his hands clenched and breathing like he was in labor.

Jim panic and he gripped the knife harder, lunging at him with a primal growl, but David, fueled by adrenaline and determination, proved to be stronger. With a well-timed counterattack, he swiftly threw another blow, sending him crashing to the ground.

Turning his attention to Ben, David saw the blood on the floor and he felt chills down his spine. His hands trembled in fear as he leaned down in front of him, holding his hand carefully. He didn’t need to be a genius to know that Ben was in danger.

Ben, weak and pale, managed to utter a desperate plea, "David, save our baby."

“Stay with me, Ben, please…”

“I… I love you, David.”

That was the last thing he said before he lost consciousness. Seeing Ben unresponsive, David's panic intensified. Without hesitation, he lifted Ben up, and raced towards the door. Just as he was about to get out, a sudden blow to the back of his head sent him spiraling into unconsciousness, thanks to Jim, who had managed to regain his footing.

As David crumpled to the floor, the room plunged into darkness, leaving Ben's fate hanging in the balance.

***

The rain lashed against the car, the deafening roar of thunder echoing in the air. The storm had unleashed its fury, turning the night into a chaotic symphony of wind and rain. Claudia's heart pounded in rhythm with the storm as she gripped the steering wheel, desperately trying to reach her destination.

She got scared when she found the gates wide open. As she approached the house, the headlights pierced through the thick sheets of rain, revealing the silhouette of a figure lying on the doorstep. Panic seized her chest, and she slammed the brakes, the tires screeching in protest. Claudia's heart raced as she threw open the car door and sprinted towards the entrance.

“Ben!” she cried out, her voice swallowed by the storm.

Ben lay on the floor at the entrance with blood on his shirt and on the floor. Claudia dropped to her knees beside him, trying to find out what was wrong.

She noticed a sharp cut on his arm, the wound oozing blood. Panic surged within her as she ripped off a part of her blouse and hastily tied it around his arm, attempting to stop the bleeding.

“Hang in there, Ben,” she murmured, her voice quivering. “We need to get you to the hospital.”

She got out her phone but there was no network. She called for help but no one could answer her. She had to get Ben to the hospital as quickly as possible. She had to do it because she knew the danger he was in.

***

David groaned as he slowly regained consciousness, his head pounding with pain. His vision blurred, but as it cleared, he realized he was tied to the front seat of a car. Panic surged through him as he struggled against the restraints, memories flooding back. Jim… Ben… being knocked out.

He took a glance to his side and found driving the car, wearing a crazed smile that sent shivers down David's spine.

“You're finally awake, my love,” Jim said, his voice dripping with madness. “Good. Now we can be together forever.”

“Welcome back, David,” Jim sneered, his eyes glinting with madness. “I knew you couldn't stay away from me forever.”

“Where… are you taking?” He stuttered.

“Anywhere, David. Anywhere where we can be together without anyone disturbing us.” He said, his hands gripping the wheel harder. “A place where they won’t find us.”

“Where’s Ben?”

“Don’t worry. That bitch won’t disturb us ever again. I have taken care of it.”

David's heart raced. He had to get out of this nightmare. His mind raced as he searched for a way to free himself. With a surge of adrenaline, he began wriggling his hands, trying to loosen the ropes binding him.

Jim's eyes gleamed with deranged excitement as he watched David struggle. “You’re so cute when you’re struggling. But try as you like, you’ll not be free from me.” He laughed manically. “Ben's gone, David. Ben’s already dead and now nothing can separate us.”

David's mind raced, processing Jim's words. Fear gripped him, but he knew he had to find a way out.

“You know, I missed you so much. There’s no one top separate us now. Ben is dead and I killed my mother. It’s just you and I.”

“No, let me go, Jim. This isn’t right.”

“Oh, but it is, David. You’ll soon understand that I am your one true love.” He grinned. “You’ll be mine even if I have to make you lose your memory all over again.”

David struggled to try and free himself. It was hard but with each twist and turn, the ropes began to give way until finally, his hands were free. Without hesitation, David acted. He swung his legs with all his strength, landing a powerful kick on Jim's chest. Jim yelped in pain as his body recoiled, his head slamming against the window with a sickening thud, leaving a spiderweb of cracks in its wake. Blood trickled down Jim's face as he slumped back into the driver's seat.

The car swerved wildly as Jim lost control, hurtling off the road. Before David knew it, the car began flipping downhill violently. David's world spun in a chaotic whirlwind as he was thrown from the vehicle, the impact knocking the breath from his lungs.

As the car came to a rest, mangled and smoking. David lay on the ground, battered and bruised a few feet from the wreckage. He tried to move but found it impossible. He glanced back at the wreckage fear creeping inside him. With trembling hands, he reached for his phone, his fingers fumbling as he dialed a number. He couldn’t remember what he said.

The world started fading and he heard an explosion. The last thing he heard before passing out was someone screaming in horror.

***

“Claudia!” Alejandra called as she and her family rushed to the woman that was outside the E.R, pacing about.

Seeing them, Claudia got both scared and nervous.

“Are you the one that called us?” Alejandra said abruptly, tears threatening to come out. “Where’s my son? What did you do to him?”

“I didn’t do anything to him.” Claudia shook her head, her own tears threatening to come out. “I went to their place because Jim called me this evening and told he was gonna solve both our problems.” She stuttered. “I tried to call David and Amber but I couldn’t reach them. I didn’t wanna make mistakes again so I rushed to their place and found Ben injured.”

“What?” Jerome gasped. “Injured? What about the baby?”

“He… he’s in there with Isaac.” She stammered, her body shaking. “I am so sorry. I will take the blame. I should have arrived sooner and maybe I would have prevented this.”

As they talked, nurses passed there hurriedly with an unconscious and wounded David on the stretcher, leaving them in shock and fear. They stood outside the E.R, praying and hoping everything went well.

***

As David slowly regained consciousness, the sterile scent of the hospital filled his senses. His eyelids fluttered open, and the harsh lights of the emergency room blurred his vision momentarily. As his vision cleared, he realized he was lying on a stretcher bed.

As he scanned the room, his gaze fell upon Ben, who was lying on an adjacent stretcher bed with his eyes closed. David's heart skipped a beat at the sight of him.

"Ben?" David croaked, his voice barely audible.

Ben weakly opened his eyes and saw David, a weak smile appearing on his face. He didn’t feel as much pain but he knew it was only because of the drugs he had been given.

“Ben,” David sobbed. “I love you so much. I don’t wanna be from you ever again.”

“I… love you too.” Ben said weakly. “If I don’t make it out of here… take care of our children. And know that I will always love you.”

David reached for Ben's hand, their fingers intertwining.

“We’ll get through this… together. And we’ll live happily.”

They held hands tightly, never intending to let go. Their hands remained entwined as medical personnel bustled around them, preparing Ben for surgery. As Ben’s stretcher began to move, David held on tighter, unwilling to let go. With a final reassuring smile, Ben was wheeled away toward the operating theater, leaving David with a mixture of worry and hope.

But amidst the uncertainty, one thing remained clear—his love for Ben burned brighter than ever before.

***

Months later

*

The wonderful aroma filled the kitchen as the man diligently stirred a pot on the stove, focused on the task at hand. There were a lot of other foods that were made but he needed to cook a lot more, for his family. He was perfectly dressed, looking sexy as ever with an apron that made him look hot as he cooked. His beautiful hair was tied in a ponytail, revealing his beautiful face.

Suddenly, he heard the soft footsteps approaching, and he turned to see a beautiful woman staring back at him with a frown on her face.

“Ben, dear, you've been working so hard. Why don't you take a break?” Claudia suggested, raising an eyebrow.

“I am almost done with it.” Ben hesitated for a moment, still stirring. “Oh, no, it's fine. I want everything to be just right and ready soon.”

“We’re talking about my grandchild here.” She rushed to him and although he didn’t want to, she managed to take away the apron from him.

“But…”

“Stop arguing.” Alejandra agreed as she emerged into the kitchen. “Why don’t you let the old gals show you how it’s done. If you think we’ll allow you do everything for our grandkid, you’ve got another thing coming.”

Ben raised his hands like he was surrendering and left it to them. He kissed the both of them and left, a smile brightening his face. As Ben walked out of the kitchen, he couldn’t help but admire how busy everyone was. Jerome, Gustavo, Carlos and his now boyfriend Brandon were busy setting up decorations.

He smiled and went upstairs to meet his husband but was met with delightful giggles of his one-year-old daughter, Leah. She had turned one year and she was the most beautiful baby he had led his eyes on. She had beautiful eyes like her father, curly dark brown hair like his and a smile like his. She was a perfect blend of the two.

Upon entry into the bedroom, Ben melted at the scene before him. David had his daughter on his shoulders, playfully running around the room together with Michael. Oh… he couldn’t help but shed a tear. Leah had just turned 1 and they were celebrating her birthday.

David looked up, grinning. "Hey there, gorgeous man, join the fun!”

Ben didn’t need to be told twice. He joined the fun. Being in the presence of his kids and husband, he felt protected, loved, fulfilled and appreciated. And when they all gathered together to sing ‘happy birthday’ to Leah, Ben felt like a complete human being.

They took pictures of the moment. They had a feast. They played and danced. It was what Ben had always wanted, what he had always dreamed of and now it was happening. He was so thankful and he knew that his mother was smiling at him.

*

Ever since I was a kid, I have always considered my past to be painful. But now I have come to understand what they say that ‘everything happens for a reason.’ Love guides us as we travel the road of our lives.

I am very happy now because I am with the people that I love so much… the people that love me back. I am also with the man that I have always loved.

Little by little, everything that David promised to me is coming true.

The promise to always stand by my side

The promise to give me a family

A beach house, built in a place where our love blossomed, a place with so many memories… some happy… some sad. But we try to remember those memories with a smile, knowing that without them… we’d never be where we are.

The steps we had to take in life became very challenging but with every step, and every problem, we tried to overcome them. And now, we’re starting our own lives.

These are new journeys for us and we can’t be too thankful.

***

As Ben stood on the porch of his dream beach house, a gentle breeze swept in from the ocean, carrying the scent of saltwater and memories of his life. The sun dipped below the horizon, casting hues of pink and orange across the sky, reflecting the warmth he felt within.

 

He couldn't help but marvel at the journey that brought him to this point. The scars of his painful past were now mere echoes, fading into the background of a life filled with love, joy, and acceptance. The laughter of his children echoed through the air, a testament to the happiness they shared as a family.

He could hear the laughter coming from inside the house, a reminder of just how much love he had. He had come so far and there had been moments he had almost given up. Through this journey, a lot of people had gotten hurt… some had died… Jim who died a horrible death, burnt to death not only in that car but also by the flames of his hatred.

Ben took a deep breath, inhaling the salty air, and let go of the last remnants of his painful past. He was here, in this moment, surrounded by love and happiness. His husband approached, their eyes locking in a shared understanding of the journey they had undertaken together. They stood facing each other, the weight of their shared history and triumphs evident in their gaze.

Without a word, they reached for each other's hands, fingers intertwining like vines in a beautiful garden. And as they leaned in, their lips met in a tender yet powerful kiss—a kiss that spoke volumes of their journey, of the struggles they had overcome, and of the deep, unbreakable bond that held them together.

In that fleeting moment, time seemed to stand still as they melted into each other's embrace, finding solace and strength in the warmth of their love.

And as they pulled away, their foreheads resting gently against one another's, Ben knew that no matter what the future held, they would face it together—united, resilient, and infinitely grateful for the life they had built, one kiss at a time.

Hand in hand, they turned and started heading inside to join their family, ready to embrace the next chapter of their journey. As Ben closed the door to the beach house, he looked back one last time, carrying with him the lessons of the past and the promise of a future filled with love and joy.

***

In the labyrinth of life, where paths may twist and turns may confound, love persists as the unwavering compass that guides us home.

In the dance of destiny, you may stumble and believe you've lost, but remember, true love is the resilient melody that echoes through the silence, and in the end, it always triumphs, turning what seemed like defeats into the sweetest victories of the heart.

My name is Ben and this is my story. Perhaps will meet again, another time another place.

But until that time, I love you all

***

The end....

Thanks for this journey once again.
Can't wait to begin another interesting one with you.
Vanalas out!
Copyright © 2023 vanalas; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 10
Thanks a lot to everyone that took the time to read my work. I love you guys a lot. Don't forget to drop your comments about what you think about my work. Ciao!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, another dramatic chapter to end this amazingly challenging story.  Thanks for the ride.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Great exciting story ! Sorry that Jim and Elana had to give up their lives, but they deserved to pay for what they have done..😘 Until the next story take care. Lynn

  • Love 5
Link to comment

So good! Jim went off the edge, killed Elena but was finally stopped by David. David is bringing their lives back , as the should have been with their kids. Such a shame that the end is here. Awesome story, I do hope we hear from them again, thank you!

  • Love 5
Link to comment

What a ride, I haven't expected nothing less!

Btw, I've been thinking about method of contraception for Ben and David...if they switch the roles and Ben becomes top, there's solution! 😂

  • Haha 5
Link to comment

I had to go look to see that we all met Ben in December of 2022. I’ll miss him but I’m so pleased for how we’re leaving him this time. Absolutely fantastic that Jim ended Elena! Not sure Claudia deserved the redemption arc. 

Boyfriend Brandon? What? 

A wonderful journey @vanalas. Thanks for sharing ❤️

  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..