Jump to content
    vanalas
  • Author
  • 13,848 Words
  • 394 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Comments, critiques and tips are warmly welcome.

Forever My Love - 9. Chapter 9: The past comes knocking on everyone's doors. What skeletons do they hide?

It's a little late, but here it is... and I promise, it will be worth the wait. Don't forget to drop your comments. I love you all

“My child is alive?”

Ben felt like he was dreaming everything. He needed someone to snap him out of it and bring him back to reality because it was too good to be true.

“What?” Grace was so confused. “Ben, how come you didn’t know that the child you had was male. I held that child in my arms when it was delivered.”

Alejandra’s mouth was wide open. “Wait, you were Ben’s nurse? How come you weren’t there at the time he was waking up?”

“Because at that time, I was assigned to another hospital in another city and I had to report asap.” She said, still in confusion. “I only managed to dress the baby and a car was waiting to take me to another hospital. But then…” She paused and glanced at Ben. “…didn’t Dr. Peters tell you this?”

Ben shook his head, almost robotically. “He was the one that told examined my baby and also told me I had a female child.”

“Wow!” Grace sighed, placing a hand on her forehead. It was too much for her to handle. “But why would he do that?”

“Do you know what this means?” Alejandra took Ben’s hand.

“My baby might be alive and he’s out there somewhere and only God knows the state he is in.” He sobbed. But he was so excited. The hope that filled him was unlike anything he’d felt before.

“Yeah, but it also means that all this was planned.” She said with concern in her voice. “The doctor that helped deliver the child knew the sex of the child and obviously knows exactly what happened to that child.”

“But why would he do that?” Grace was in utter shock. “Dr. Peters cared about you more than any of us did. He made sure that your pregnancy was a secret when you asked and made sure that you stayed healthy in all those months.”

“I… I don’t know.” He stuttered, once again filled with a lot of thoughts.

“But…”

“You know what…” Alejandra sighed. “…this is something major and we can’t discuss it here. Do you mind coming with us?”

Grace shook her head and the four of them hurriedly left the airport.

***

Carlos and Gustavo were in the office, each busy trying to occupy their minds with work although it wasn’t really working. It was now just the two of them. It wasn’t gonna be the same without Alejandra and Ben and they knew it.

Suddenly, the door to the office opened and when they looked in the direction, they saw a great surprise, Ben and Alejandra entering. Both of them rose and rushed to the two. As Gustavo rushed to his wife and kissed her passionately, Carlos rushed to Ben and held him tighter without any intention of letting him go.

“Oh my God!” Gustavo’s eyes widened in shock. “What are the two doing back here? Was Carlos and I stuck in a time loop? Has it been ten years already?”

“No!” Ben chuckled, a bright smile appearing on his face. “Something happened that made me change my mind.” He looked at the two of them with tears of mirth in his eyes. “My child might still be alive.”

“What?”

Carlos and Gustavo looked at each other like the devil had just appeared before them. They didn’t want to say what was in their minds although both of them thought Ben had lost his mind.

“Ben…”

“It’s true!” Ben chuckled in tears. “My child might still be alive… it wasn’t a female. It was a male child that I had.”

“Ben…” Carlos held his hand. “…I know you haven’t been sleeping much the last few weeks. Maybe you need some rest, don’t you think.”

“I am not crazy.” He moved away and rushed to Grace. That was when Gustavo and Carlos saw the lady who was with them. “This is Grace. She was the nurse that attended to me in those night months of my pregnancy. She was with me during my operation and helped deliver my child.”

“It is true.” Grace nodded. “The baby Ben gave birth to that day was a boy. It might have been long ago but…”

Grace paused for a number of seconds before a smile popped up on her face.

“I remember taking pictures of the baby because I wanted you to see how he was looking like when he was born.” Grace said enthusiastically.

“Really?” Ben felt his heart hammer in his chest so hard he gasped. “Do you have those pictures right now?”

“I am not using the same phone but I should have saved them on my google drive.”

She took her phone and started scrolling. As she did, Ben felt like someone had dipped him in sea of ice. A shiver went down his spine and his hands began trembling. A few minutes might have passed as Grace checked her phone but to Ben, that was the longest time he had ever waited for anything.

“Here!”

Ben’s hands shook uncontrollably as he took the phone. Finally, his eyes landed on that picture and everything went quiet and cold. The world around him seemed to fade away, leaving only the poignant echoes of his heartbeat resonating in the stillness. His breath caught in his throat as he gazed upon the image of the baby he had believed had died.

That was a different baby… it was male and it had a penis… a freaking penis, he heard his voice scream in his head. Tears welled in his eyes, blurring the contours of the picture, yet etching the image of the baby's face deeper into his soul. The weight of years pressed upon him, each passing moment carrying the burden of a grief he had carried in the depths of his being.

He traced the delicate features with trembling fingers, as if seeking reassurance that this was not a cruel trick of fate. As his fingers gently traced the contours of the tiny face captured within the frame, a surge of disbelief mingled with an overwhelming flood of emotions. The baby in the photograph, with innocent eyes that seemed to reflect an untold universe of possibilities, gazed back at him as a spectral reminder of a time he had consigned to the depths of despair.

Emotions long suppressed surged forth like a tidal wave, overwhelming him with a potent mix of joy and sorrow. How many nights had he spent haunted by the specter of loss, tormented by the absence of a beloved child? And yet, here, in this fragile moment suspended in time, hope blossomed anew, fragile yet resilient in its insistence.

“My child!” He whispered, but everyone heard it.

“Wow!” Carlos’ mouth gaped. “He’s so beautiful. This is a miracle.”

“How’s this possible?” Gustavo was in awe.

“A miracle, indeed.” Alejandra smiled. “Look at that beautiful face. In this moment, I couldn’t be prouder to be a grandmother.” She placed her hands on Ben’s shoulder’s squeezing him. “I can’t believe you produced such a beautiful child. My grandchild is alive.”

“I have to find him!” Ben said abruptly, his voice rising. Not for once did he tear his eyes away from that picture. “I need to find my baby. I need to hold him… kiss him… tell him how much I love him.”

“Where is the doctor who did the operation?” Gustavo asked demandingly.

“Last I heard, he was running a small hospital in another province.”

Ben raised his face and furiously rubbed his tears. “We need to find him. He’s the only one who possibly knows where my child is.” He took Grace’s hands and held them. “I know how busy you must really be, but I need your help, Grace. Take me to Dr. Peters and I’ll do anything that you ask.”

“There’s no need for that. As a mother, I understand you.” She nodded. “I will take you there any time you need.”

“Right now?”

“No!” Alejandra chimed in. “That’s not gonna be possible. You need to rest and think about this through.”

“But…”

“Tomorrow.” Grace gave an assuring smile. “I also have something that I have to do today. Then tomorrow, I am all yours.”

Ben felt like he was gonna have to wait forever but…

“Okay, tomorrow. But it has to be early.”

Grace nodded and Ben went back to looking at his gorgeous baby. That beautiful skin, those lips as the child cried and his pretty little feet all made Ben’s heart to reap with joy. Whatever pain he had been feeling was wiped away by the hope of finding his child and holding him. It was all that he wanted.

Will this be it for him to finally be happy?

***

As they stepped into the stark, sterile hallway of the doctor's office, Ben felt his nerves tighten like coiled springs. His palms grew clammy, and his heart raced with apprehension. The nurse, a brisk woman with a kind smile, motioned for them to take a seat on the chairs outside the office. Ben and Grace had arrived at the hospital and it was quite a beautiful hospital. Being well known in the business world, Ben didn’t have to talk much. The nurse had just asked for an autograph and she was already taking them to the doctor’s office.

“You can sit right here.” She gestured. “The doctor will be in shortly. He is already on his way as he has an important case to attend to.”

Ben nodded weakly, his gaze flickering nervously to Grace, who was standing beside him, a reassuring presence in the midst of his anxiety.

“You’re so tense, Ben.” Grace said, massaging his shoulder. “You’ve got this, and I am right here with you.”

Ben took a nervous breath, feeling the rush of blood in his ears. “Coming here, I was so excited, but now that we’re actually here, I am scared. What if I find out something that I may not like? What if there was no mistake to begin with?”

“Ben!” Grace an eyebrow. “It’s gonna be fine. We’ve already talked about this. Even if we don’t find out much, at least, it’s a start. Take a deep breath and get yourself together.”

Ben managed a feeble smile, grateful for Grace’s support. Taking a shaky breath, he settled into the chair, trying to distract himself by flipping through a magazine on the nearby table. But his mind kept wandering back to the impending meeting, filling him with a sense of dread.

As he was flipping through, his phone rang and he didn’t waste any time answering it.

“Dad!”

‘Hey baby, how are you doing?’ Jerome sounded concerned on the other end. ‘I was just off the phone with Alejandra who told me your trip couldn’t go through.’

“Yeah, and I am sure that she told you why.”

‘She did.’ Jerome was suddenly excited. ‘Is it really true that my grandchild might be alive?’

“Yes, dad.” Ben got off the chair and went to stand near a window, staring outside. “That’s what I found out yesterday. And I am really hoping that it’s true because my heart is filled with so much hope.”

‘It will be. I believe it. Do you want me there?’ He asked softly. ‘I can be there as soon as possible to offer you support. This is my grandchild we’re talking about.’

“Dad!” Ben laughed. “You haven’t even fully recovered yet. Don’t worry about me, I am gonna be fine. Hopefully, I get to learn about my child and might be with him by the time I am returning.”

‘Really looking forward to that.’ Jerome laughed. ‘I am so glad your flight didn’t push through. That gives me more time to spend with you.’

“Me too.” Ben was genuinely excited and receiving a call from his father was what he needed. “Can you do something for me though?”

‘Anything,’

“Don’t tell anyone about this, dad.” He pleaded. “As it is, I have no idea who destroyed Leah’s grave and finding out about my child being alive, this could be the work of someone. If they hear of that, I might be running against time. I don’t want my hopes of finding out about my child being crushed.”

‘No problem.’ Jerome reassured. ‘I can’t put you in that position. And don’t worry, I am looking into all that.’

“Thanks!”

“You’re welcome. Bring my grandson back home.’

‘I will.’

He cut the call and took a deep breath. And that was when he saw him, Dr. Peters, standing a distance from him, staring at him. Seeing him, Ben felt a shiver go down his spine and he froze. The man was wearing a white coat with a stethoscope around his neck. He looked different, a bit older but he could remember that face anywhere. The man had taken care of him during his pregnancy.

Dr. Peters on the other hand stood there staring at Ben like he had seen a ghost. There was also Grace who appeared not to have seen him, faces from a past he had thought he left behind for good. His eyes widened, and a sudden wave of fear and nervousness washed over him. Palms sweaty, he fumbled for his phone, contemplating a quick escape plan.

His heart began to race, his palms grew clammy, and a sense of dread crept over him like a suffocating fog. What were they doing here? Who were they with? Why did they come? A thousand questions raced through his mind, each more terrifying than the last.

“Dr. Peters!”

Ben didn’t even realize that he spoke. His voice was so loud it went into the doctor like a vibration, shaking his very core. Grace rose from the chair quickly and saw the man froze.

Panic set in, and without thinking, Dr. Peters veered towards the elevator, his footsteps echoing loudly, hoping it would be his sanctuary. His heart hammered against his ribcage as he turned on his heel, breaking into a frantic sprint. He could hear their footsteps echoing behind him, their voices rising as they called on to him.

With trembling hands, Peters jabbed at the elevator button, praying for the doors to open before they caught up to him. As the doors slid open, he darted inside, not daring to look back. The sound of their hurried footsteps grew closer, and his breath caught in his throat as he frantically pressed the button for a random floor, anywhere far from his past.

The elevator lurched into motion just as Ben and Grace reached it, their outstretched hands mere inches from the closing doors, shutting out the sight of his past that had caught up with him. He leaned against the wall, his chest heaving as he tried to catch his breath. Fear and anxiety gripped him, leaving him to contemplate the unexpected reunion that had just unfolded.

Meanwhile, Ben and Grace who were totally shook by what had happened pressed the elevator buttons with hopes that it would open but it wasn’t their lucky day. The elevator only opened after it probably dropped off the man.

By the time they were reaching the ground floor, Dr. Peters was gone. They were told he had hurriedly left. Grace and Ben stood there with their hands on their waists, staring at each other. Although none said anything to the other, one thing was for sure. Dr. Peters was hiding something.

***

‘Are you sure?’ Alejandra gasped on the other end.

“Yes, mother, he ran away the second he saw us.” Ben sounded frustrated and tired. “He’s not been back ever since and no one knows where he is.”

‘Did you try to find out where he stays?’

“Yes, we just came from there.” He sighed. “He’s married with 2 kids. I was hoping that maybe he took the child because his wife couldn’t have kids, but both those children are younger than my child would have been. And they got married less than 4 years ago.”

‘Wow!’

“And funny thing is that he called his wife an hour before we reached and told her that he’s going away on an urgent business trip.” He added. “He didn’t take any clothes, his passport is still in the house so he’s still in the country and has switched off his phone ever since.”

‘He knows something. He’s hiding something and that’s why he ran away.’

“This is becoming very complicated, mom.” He sat on the chair, taking a nervous breath. “Coming here, I thought I was gonna find out the truth once and for all and it’s becoming complicated.”

‘Don’t stress, honey. We’re gonna find our little boy and that’s a promise.’

“But…”

‘No buts. We’re not gonna give up no matter what.’

There was silence before someone spoke. It was Gustavo.

‘Ben, come back home, please.’ He asked softly. ‘I don’t think being there will be of any good use to you.’

“I can’t!” He shook his head. “What if he comes back and…”

“Then we’ll get him. I’ll have the best private investigators I know be on the look out for him. They’ll be watching his house, hospital and also looking out for the car. Before we know it, we’re gonna have him. He’s not gonna escape this one.’

Ben sighed. “I just feel like if I leave this place, I’ll be abandoning my mission. I am so close to finding out the truth and possibly finding my son. I can’t abandon this. I have to see it through.”

‘Son, we’re not talking about you abandoning your mission. This child is important to us too and we want nothing to see home running around our house. But you need to come back home to your family. Together, we’re gonna be stronger and more successful.’

Ben rubbed his tired eyes, feeling the weight of exhaustion.

“Alright, I’ll be there.”

‘Thanks, son.’ Gustavo was obviously happy on the other hand.

Ben slightly smiled and cut the call. Sitting there, he had a lot of thinking to do. He had been so close to finding out about his child and now he was back to square one. He got out his phone and started staring at the background, a picture of his baby.

“Where will I find you?” He whispered.

***

As the heavy glass doors of the beautiful five-star venue swung open, Ben hesitated for a moment before stepping into the lavish world of the business party. The soft hum of chatter and the tinkling of crystal glasses filled the air, creating an ambiance of opulence that made his heart flutter with a mix of excitement and nerves.

Ben was looking sexy in his tailored tuxedo, fitting him like a second skin. He wore a designer midnight-blue suit that complemented his features, showing off that sexy body with a white shirt inside that added a touch of classic elegance. His dark hair was neatly styled into a ponytail that showed off his face, giving that casual charm and sexiness.

As he stepped into the grand hall, his pitch-black designer shoes echoed in the marble expanse beneath, announcing his arrival to the bunch of well-dressed guests. A hint of uncertainty flickered in his piercing blue eyes as he scanned the room, acknowledging the influential figures that filled the space.

He took a deep breath and started going in. He had barely taken two steps when he met trouble, Jim and Elena coming towards him with surprise at first before they looked at each other and wore evil grins.

Elena looked elegant in a black gown, the delicate silk fabric clinging to her every curve, a testament to the impeccable craftsmanship that bespoke sophistication. Her boobs were on view that night and her hair styled into loose waves, cascaded down her shoulders, framing a face adorned with some pretty elegant makeup. Jim didn’t miss as usual in a black tuxedo.

“Look what the cat dragged in.” Elena commented, jolting her hip. “What the fuck are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be busy mourning the death of your child?”

“Oh no, mommy!” Jim gasped in mock astonishment. “That’s too harsh.” Then a grin appeared on his face. “I heard that child died years ago, it was the child’s remains. Now he has nothing to remind him of that child.” Jim wiped imaginary tears, chirping at Ben. “I wonder why he is still living.”

Ben smiled. “Well, I see you two have nothing new to talk about. And honestly, I am getting tired of having to answer back to has beens and wannabes.”

“Excuse me!” Elena snapped.

“Of course,” Ben laughed, crossing his arms on his chest. “You know, now that I think about it, you two are really mother and son. You do have something in common.” He rubbed his temple sexily, looking to the heavens like he was thinking. “One couldn’t treat a man right and he went to find comfort in the arms of another woman. The other was after a man who didn’t want him but wanted someone else.”

When he looked at them, they were burning with rage.

“Hmmm… you two are lousy at keeping men.”

“How dare you!” Elena snapped, raising her hand to slap him.

“Relax!” Ben raised his hands like he was surrendering. “Let’s all act civilized here. We’re not animals… at least some of us.”

Elena’s raised hand trembled as she looked at Ben, fighting every fiber of her being to slap him. When she dropped her hand, her chest rose and fell with fury. She was so mad her eyes turned red.

“Get out of here!” Jim sneered, getting closer to Ben. “There is no one that needs you here.”

“That’s where you’re wrong my dear brother.” He chirped, shaking his head. “I am very much wanted here just as much as everyone else. Otherwise, why would I be here?”

“That’s not possible.” Jim shook his head. “Father wouldn’t dare invite you here.”

“Is that what you think?” He shifted his eyes to Elena who stood there cursing him. “Didn’t mommy dearest tell you that dad and I reconciled?”

“What?” Jim looked at his mother, looking like a lost puppy.

“Baby, I didn’t wanna tell you because of what was going on at the time.” Elena said abruptly, quickly gripping his hand. “You were worried about a lot of things and I didn’t wanna worry you some more. It was for your own good.”

“Excuse me!”

Ben rudely walked in between, leaving the both of them in shock. The place was very fancy, it had to be. They were celebrating the 30th anniversary of Jerome’s company and its success throughout the years. Ben didn’t have come but he just had to. His father had achieved so much and he deserved all the support in the world.

“Ben!”

Ben felt his heart begin to race the moment he laid his eyes on that handsome man in front of him. His smile was almost hypnotizing… his eyes captivating and his lips… why was he staring at his lips, he thought? The man looked so handsome in a black tuxedo that showed off his muscular body. He wasn’t surprised because David’s sense of style was always top notch.

“David!” Ben answered, putting up a smile.

“I didn’t know that you were gonna be here.”

“It’s an important event for my father. I just had to.”

“You look so handsome and I am glad you look better.” He chuckled nervously. “Do you mind if I steal you for a moment?” There was a plea in his voice. “I need to talk to you urgently.”

Ben felt a shiver go down his spine. He might have been feeling better but he didn’t know if he was ready to discuss his encounter with the main. He took a nervous breath.

“No, I don’t think so. Excuse me!”

Without getting a response from him, he quickly rushed away from him and luckily, he found the man of the moment. As usual, he looked so handsome, barely passing for someone who was in his 50s. He was standing a distance from him happily talking to some men and women. Seeing him, Ben couldn’t help but smile.

He took a deep breath, gathered his courage and walked to him.

“Do you have room to talk to one more person?”

Jerome’s heart skipped a beat, his breath catching in his throat. He slowly turned to find his son standing in front of him, staring at him with the biggest smile he had ever seen on him. The room seemed to fade away as father and son locked eyes, a flood of emotions rushing through Jerome’s heart.

“Ben!”

He rushed to him and wrapped his arms rightly around him, embracing him. As he enveloped his son in a tight embrace, tears welled in Jerome’s eyes, emotions bubbling over in a rush of relief and joy.

“I didn’t expect to see you here!” Jerome murmured; his voice thick with emotion.

Ben returned the hug, his own voice choked with emotion. "I couldn't miss it, Dad. This is very important to you and I just had to be here for you."

Jerome pulled away from the hug but held his son’s hands.

“But you’re going through so much, Ben.” Jerome was concerned. “I told Alejandra not to tell you about this in the first place. And I am sorry that this was held. I am doing everything in my power to make sure that I find that man. I didn’t want…”

“Dad!” Ben raised an eyebrow. “It’s okay. I requested to be here and don’t worry about my child, I know you’re doing everything in your power to find him. If you can do that for me, why can’t I be here to support you?”

Jerome smiled. “Thank you so much, son!”

As father and son were busy talking, they were interrupted by the MC who began talking and giving a speech. In no time, he called the man of the moment to come and say something. The spotlight shone on them and the man went to the stage as everyone clapped. Ben was somehow emotional. When Jerome got to the stage, his eyes were shining with pride and emotion. He cleared his throat, gathering his thoughts before he began his speech.

“Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed guests, and cherished members of our company family,

Today marks a monumental occasion in the history of our company. Thirty years ago, we embarked on a journey fueled by passion, dedication, and a shared vision for excellence. As I stand before you today, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the incredible journey we have traveled together.”

There were cheers and claps from the audience.

“It has not been an easy journey… there have been times when I almost gave up, times when I questioned if I was in the right business and times when I found myself crying. But throughout those times, I never gave up. And I am so thankful for the people that have been in my life, the employees, board members, business partners and most importantly, my ever-loving family.

As I look back on this remarkable journey, I am overwhelmed with pride for the extraordinary team that has contributed to our success. Our employees, past and present, have been the lifeblood of this organization, infusing it with dedication, passion, and a relentless pursuit of excellence. Each one of you has played a pivotal role in bringing us to this momentous day. It has not been easy being the biggest real estate business in the country.”

Again, there were cheers as everyone got excited.

“In these 30 years, I have made so many mistakes as a business man but not greater than the mistakes I made as a father.”

His eyes shifted to Ben who stood there staring at him without even blinking. Everyone else was quiet.

“As a father, I have learnt so much from my son. I have realized that despite me being the father, I will always need my son, no matter what age I am. My son has made me laugh, made me proud, made me cry, seen me cry, hugged me tight, seen me fail, cheered me up, kept me on my toes, and at times driven me crazy. But my son is a promise that I will have a friend forever!”

Ben felt tears build in his eyes and in moment, he felt his face get wet. He quickly rubbed his face clean and took a deep breath. Last thing he wanted to do was cry in front of the crowd. He was sure people didn’t even know Jerome was staring at him.

Jerome cleared his throat before he continued.

“And now, as we look ahead to the next chapter of our journey, I am filled with hope and optimism for what lies ahead. As we stand at the threshold of a new era, it is my honor and privilege to introduce to you, a son I am very proud of and someone that I have learnt a lot from.

Ladies and gentlemen, please, help me welcome my beloved son…. Ben!”

There was silence when he announced that. Everyone began looking at each other, wondering what Jerome was talking about. Most of them had their eyes on Jim who stood there feeling hurt and filled with hatred for his brother. Ben on the other hand felt like someone had just poured cold water on him. He felt a shiver go down his spine as his heart raced.

“Ben, join me.” Jerome announced, stretching his hand.

Immediately, a spotlight shone on him and it didn’t take a moment before everyone was clapping again. Ben smiled sheepishly as he moved to the stage, holding his father’s hand. It was nerve wrecking but there was some form of excitement deep within. With tears in his eyes, Jerome embraced his son in front of everyone before turning back to the audience, a radiant smile lighting up his face.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I understand that this revelation may come as a surprise to many of you. But, to me, this is the best decision I have made in a long time. And I am so proud.”

He placed a reassuring hand on Ben’s shoulder, making him emotional. Meanwhile, as Jim watched, his fists clench at his sides, his nails digging into his palms as he fought to suppress the rising tide of resentment within him. His breathing grew shallow and ragged, his chest tightening with each passing moment as the weight of his jealousy threatened to suffocate him.

“But of course, this wouldn’t be complete without my other lovely son, Jim.”

He looked at his son who was obviously mad and smiled.

“I am honored to introduce two individuals who embody the values and legacy of our company – my sons. They have grown up witnessing the dedication and hard work that built this company from the ground up. Today, I invite them to join me on this stage as a symbol of continuity, innovation, and the promise of a bright future.”

Jim didn’t wanna go but he felt his mother’s hand on his shoulder, literally pushing him to go. In frustration, he went to the stage and joined his father, forcing a smile on his face when all he wanted to do was smash Ben’s face.

“Tonight, I invite them to join me on this stage, not just as my sons but as the future leaders of this incredible legacy. May they carry the torch forward, steering our ship through new horizons and ensuring that the next 30 years are as remarkable as the ones we've celebrated tonight.”

Jerome’s speech was followed by loud cheers. Ben could tell that a lot of people were very happy. He even saw Alejandra send him love signs. She was with Gustavo and Carlos. After that, Jim stormed out of that stage cursing while Jerome took Ben to introduce him to some of the people that were eager to meet him. They received him so well. He didn’t have to explain much since they knew him as the producer of the hottest chocolate in town.

However, as Jerome continued with introductions, Ben couldn't shake the unsettling feeling that someone was watching him. He turned his head slightly, catching the gaze of David, lingering on him from across the room. His eyes, filled with a mixture of regret and longing, bore into him, making her uncomfortable.

Trying to maintain composure, Ben excused him with a polite smile, "Excuse me, gentlemen. I need to freshen up. It was a pleasure meeting you all."

He gracefully maneuvered through the crowd, leaving his father in the midst of the business talk. As he moved hurriedly to the bathroom, he was suddenly gripped and before he knew it, he was pulled into a dimly lit room, door shutting behind him.

Before Ben could realize what was going on, he found himself pinned on the wall with a man only inches away from his face… David. Ben felt his heart begin to race and a shiver go down his spine. But there was something about that closeness that made him a bit excited and he didn’t like it.

“What are you doing?” He whispered in a shaky voice.

“I couldn’t stay away from you anymore, Ben. And I cannot just stand there and watch you talk to everyone but me.”

“David, please… this isn’t the time…”

“I feel like I am going crazy.” David let go of Ben. The room was small and David was blocking the door so he couldn’t leave. “Suddenly, I’ve been having these memories that I never knew existed in my head since the time we made love.”

Ben slightly closed his eyes at the sound of that word, a shiver going down his spine.

“And then….” He paused and looked at the boy that looked nervous. “…there are these feelings that I cannot understand, for you.”

“Stop it!” Ben seethed, shaking his head. “You’re going crazy, David, and I think you need see a therapist.”

“I am not crazy!” His voice raised slightly, making Ben take a step backward.

“Then how do you explain what you’re telling me right now? You’ve always been in love with your husband, that’s what you told me a few weeks ago.”

“I haven’t!” His voice was barely above a whisper.

The two stared at each other for what felt like hours but was just mere seconds before any of them spoke.

“6 years ago, I woke up with no memories of what had happened in the past few years.” He said softly. “I was surrounded by my family, a husband I didn’t even remember meeting and had no feelings for. Our meeting, our engagement and our wedding were all narrated to me. That still didn’t feel right to me. It took me close to two years and a lot of convincing from my mother before I finally accepted everything.

And now, I have these memories and these feelings that are telling me that whatever I have known up to this point has been a lie.”

“Maybe your memories are deceiving you.” Ben said with tears in his eyes. “You’re acting like this because you feel guilty for what happened. David, forget about it and let me go. Please…”

“I remembered our house near the beach,” He chuckled happily. “We seemed so happy despite the situation that was going on. You used to wake me up every morning with a kiss, prepare some breakfast and pack me some lunch. That didn’t seem to me like it was forced love or you had cast a spell on me. I felt that love, Ben.”

Ben’s mouth visibly shook as he went down memory lane to those moments. He felt pain and loneliness enter him and he closed his eyes, trying to shake them away. But they wouldn’t leave him.

“My memories might be vague but what I am feeling isn’t.” He once again got closer to Ben, gripping his hand. He raised it slowly and placed it on his chest. “My heart is not lying, Ben.”

Ben felt David’s heart beating rhythmically and racing. He looked into the man’s eyes and he saw something that he’d seen before, that yearning that he had for him years ago. He could tell the man was suffering.

“You’re a married man, David.” Ben said in a voice barely above a whisper. “Not to someone else, but to my brother.”

“I know, but…”

“Did those visions also show you that you left me on the hospital bed dying from cancer?” He asked with tears welling in his eyes. “Did they tell you that a day after you left, you were marrying my brother? Did they tell you that I lost everything because of you?”

David shook his head, fighting his tears. “Ben…”

“I’ll tell you,” He sobbed, furiously rubbing the tear that made its way down his face. “It’s because you chose to love him. You realized that you didn’t love me enough to stay with me till the end. Or maybe the charm just worn off.” He laughed, raising an eyebrow. “Whatever had happened between us was nothing but a night stand, David. I don’t wanna dwell on it. People do it all the time. Right now, I have something important that I have to do and you do too.”

“Ben…”

“You’re a good man, David.” Ben said softly. “But the past happened and we cannot change it. Right now, we can only focus on the present and the future.”

David stood there feeling defeated.

“Even if you say you have feelings what’s gonna happen?” He asked, making the man even weaker. “You have a family and doing anything otherwise will only make things worse. Don’t let the past repeat itself.”

Ben took a deep breath and tried to pass David but the man still stood there.

“David, please, I don’t want any drama from your husband. Let me go.”

David took a deep breath and sighed, getting out of the way. Before Ben left, they both shared a yearning look that neither was gonna forget in a hurry. David was left feeling lonely and stupid.

***

Jim was seated at a table gripping the liquor glass like he wanted to break it. Whatever had happened that night had made him so mad. He was busy drinking when he saw Ben hurriedly leaving the room and going to the men’s room. Shortly, in shock, he saw his husband leaving the same room, adjusting his clothing.

Anger surged through Jim like a tidal wave, drowning any remnants of composure he had left. He took a deep, harsh, shaky breath and downed the remainder of the drink, the liquid burning down his throat. Determination etched across his face and he set the glass down and navigated his way through the sea of bodies.

As Jim reached the bathroom door, his heart pounded in his chest. He swung the door open and found Ben lost in the mirror, blissfully unaware of the storm that was about to unleash. Without a second thought, he rushed towards him, furiously gripped his arm. Jim’s hand lashed out, delivering a resounding slap across Ben’s face. The room fell silent for a brief moment. Ben recoiled, his hand flying to his cheek, eyes wide with surprise.

“What?”

“You slut!”

Before Ben could utter a word, Jim grabbed a fistful of his perfectly styled hair, yanking him closer.

“You think you can just waltz in here and ruin my happiness?” His voice burned with rage. “I am going to expose you today.”

He pulled Ben by the hair, dragging him out of the bathroom. It hurt like hell and he couldn’t help but groan. He tried letting his hair loose but the man had his fingers tangled in his hair.

“Does it feel good ruining someone else’s family!” He yelled, getting the attention of some people.

Gasps and murmurs filled the air, but Jim didn't care. In that moment, all that mattered was the fiery confrontation between him and the man he hated with passion. He dragged Ben to the party hall and it seemed he got the attention he wanted. The music stopped playing and everyone else wondered what was going on.

“Ladies and gentlemen, look at this slut that has been trying to ruin my home.” He hollered. “The slut that has been trying to seduce my husband.”

“I said let go of me!” Ben snapped, furiously hitting Jim’s hand.

Jim let him go and they stood there, staring at each other with so much hatred. Ben’s ponytail was ruined, his hair was now a mess and he seemed so mad. He looked at Jim with so much hatred.

“You have the nerve to talk after what you did!” Jim screamed as he rushed towards Ben, ready to fight.

Fortunately, David and another guy came rushing to the scene. David separated them, standing in between them while the other guy held Jim’s arms.

“Jim, that’s enough!” David said, shielding Ben from him. “That’s enough! What do you think you’re doing?”

To say Jim was shocked would be an understatement. He was hurt.

“What am I doing?” He yelled, tears building in his eyes. “Don’t tell you’re taking that whore’s side.”

“Please, don’t make a scene.”

“A scene?” He chuckled bitterly. “Why am I not surprised that you’re taking his side as usual? I am supposed to be your husband but all you keep saying is Ben, Ben, Ben… what do you take me for? Do you think I am a fool. You’re obviously having an affair with that slut!”

David glanced at Ben and saw the state he was in. As he gazed into his eyes, he felt a knot tighten in his chest.

“Stop staring at him!” He snapped. “That bitch has always been jealous of me and everything I have ever since I was young. He has always been trying to destroy my happiness because he is nothing but a sole loser, a whore just like his mother. You can never have my husband because in the end, he chose me.”

Ouch! Ben had heard those words before but they hit him so sharply, leaving him with oozing wounds. Every word felt like a dagger stabbing into his heart. With a heavy heart, Ben turned to leave. But before he could take another step, he felt a powerful grip on his arm, halting his escape.

"Where do you think you're going, huh? Get back here!" Jim said as he angrily pulled on Ben’s hand.

In a sudden surge of frustration, Ben turned to face him, his palm meeting Jim’s cheek with a sharp, echoing slap. The sound resonated in the room, and for a moment, time seemed to freeze. Jim stumbled backward, releasing his grip on Ben’s arm, his hand instinctively cupping the stinging cheek. Tears rolled down his face as he stared at the other man in shock.

“The world doesn’t revolve around you, Jim!” He snapped. “There are other people more important than you. Why do you have to think that everything that is done has to be about you? And you call me a slut?” He chuckled bitterly, getting closer to him. “Have you forgotten which one of us used to sleep around with different guys? Have you forgotten who used to get you out of trouble? Have you forgotten who got the slaps for you from the lovers of all those men you used to sleep with?”

“Shut up!” Jim seethed.

“Why? Is it because you’re too ashamed to admit what you are?”

There was silence before whispers were heard among the people that watched.

“I had sacrificed a lot of things for you, Jim.” He growled, his voice trembling with suppressed emotions. “Even when I fell in love, I still had to make the sacrifice because of your obsession over the man I loved. And still you are not satisfied.”

“No matter what you say to me, I am the one that is married to David.” He yelled. “So, who’s the slut now?”

“You have no idea just how wrong you are. You do not own David!” He snapped, breathing harshly. “Between the two of us, I am the one that has more rights to be with him.”

David sheepishly looked at Ben, their eyes locking momentarily. He didn’t know what he meant by that but there was something in the way he said it that made him curious. Ben couldn’t stay there anymore. He simply turned, looked at everyone’s face, his father who was in shock and his family. Without a word, he stormed out of there, leaving Jim looking like a fool.

“Ben!”

David began running after him.

“David!” Jim screamed.

“What?” David snapped.

He shook his head and ran after Ben, hoping to find him. Jim remained the center of attention, all eyes on him. He felt defeated and foolish, everyone looked like they were judging him. With a hiss, he stormed out of there too.

***

“Don’t you walk away from me!” Elena said angrily as she followed her husband behind. “Jerome, I am talking to you.”

“What do you want from me woman?” Jerome snapped, angrily turning to face her. “Can’t I have some peace in my own home”

“Peace?” She yelled, angrily pushing him. “Peace? What peace do you want after all that happened today? Not only did you betray me, but also your son.”

“What the hell are you ranting about?”

“How could you do this to Jim?” She spurt. “You and I both know that Jim is the only one that is the heir to all your companies. But you embarrassed him in front of everyone by introducing that illegitimate son of yours.”

Jerome looked at his wife before he burst into laughter. He laughed so hard till tears came out the side of his eyes.

“I have two sons and I am not gonna discriminate between them. I already made that mistake once and I won’t repeat it again.” He said with a stern voice. “Whatever I did today is none of your business, Elena.”

“Oh, you think?” She jolted her hip, wearing that serious face. “If you think I am gonna allow you to give part of Jim’s inheritance to that son of a bitch then you have not known me that well.”

“You have not known me that well, either. I’ll not continue being manipulated by a selfish woman.”

Elena’s jaw dropped and her eyes widened in shock, staring at her husband like he’d grown another head. She couldn’t believe he had just said that to her.

“What?”

“Let me remind you that this is my company, Elena!” He warned, raising his finger. “I started it with my blood and sweat before I married you. Whatever decisions I make concerning its future, you don’t have any say.”

He got closer and stared at her for a long time.

“If there is something you should be concerned about, it’s that embarrassing behavior your son displayed at the party today.” He said with his teeth grating. “I didn’t say anything to him because he left but that doesn’t mean that I will let it go.”

“My son?” She chuckled bitterly. “You’re blaming my son for that too? Weren’t you there? Didn’t you see it all and what he said. That boy is after David and you know it. You have always known it.”

“I have known nothing but what you’ve told me.” He retaliated. “All this time, he’s still acting like a goddam teenager in public. And you just stood there and allowed it to happen? He’s getting out of control.”

“He’s getting out of control because of you!” Elena argued, breathing like she was in labor. “If you hadn’t gone and fucked some…”

“Oh, we’re still talking about this?” He laughed, placing his hands on his hips. “Ben is my son and that will never change. I cannot change the past but at least I know the future is bright for both my sons. And if you really want your son to be happy, I suggest you withdraw all that venom you have put in him before he ends up destroying himself.”

“I have raised my son to be nothing but a confident man.” She said confidently, staring into his face. “At least, I can say I am proud of the man he turned out to be instead of a coward like his father.”

Jerome smiled and slowly placed his hand on Elena’s shoulder. “If being a father is what you call cowardice, then I am guilty.”

He turned to leave but stopped midway and turned to Elena again.

“If you won’t do something to curb Jim’s behavior, you and him will bear the consequences that follow. I will not be part of any of it.” He sounded like he was warning her. “You have filled that boy with so much hatred for Ben that he can’t see past that. I will do whatever it takes to protect Ben from him. And don’t force me to make hasty decisions because you’ll end up hating me more.”

Elena watched in stunned silence as Jerome left the living room, leaving her to grapple with the weight of his words.

“We’re gonna see about that.” She swore, her fists clenching. “If you think that I will let you give that boy a dime, then you’re in for a big surprise! Ben…” Her lips curled into a malevolent grin. “…if you think destroying your child’s grave is the worst I can do to you, then watch what I will do next.”

***

David entered his mansion looking like a man that hadn’t slept in weeks. His hair was a mess… his shirt was untucked and he was holding the jacket in his jacket, letting it get dragged on the floor. He had gone after the boy but hadn’t gotten much luck. He was so pissed but he didn’t know who exactly he was pissed at. Maybe it was himself. Getting some air had not worked and he had no idea what he was gonna do next.

“Welcome back, sir!” He heard Jim’s voice.

His head moved robotically and he found him standing a distance from him with his arms crossed. He still wore exactly what he had been putting on at the party except for the jacket that was on the couch. There was Claudia too. And David wasn’t in the mood to deal with them that night.

“You’ve surprised me. I didn’t know if you were gonna come home at all.”

David sighed. “I am too tired, Jim. I just wanna rest.”

“He’s tired.” Jim laughed, glancing at Claudia who was staring at her son. “And why wouldn’t you be tired when you were busy following that shameless whore? Did you find him?” He asked as he angrily got nearer. “Did he act vulnerable so that you could feel pity for him? Tell me…” He angrily pushed his husband. “…which cheap motel did you go to?” He pushed him again. “Which cheap motel did you fuck him in?”

“Stop it.” David’s voice was barely above a whisper.

“Did he kiss you? Did you like it?”

“Stop it,”

“Who was on top? Did you like being close to that whore?”

“Yes!” David bellowed ferociously, throwing his jacket furiously on the floor. “Are you satisfied now? Can I go up and rest now that I have answered your question?”

Jim’s lips parted in a silent surprise and the muscles in his jaw tensed. A wave of acid welled up in his belly and his heart ached. He knew that David had answered that in anger but it still hurt like hell.

“David, you can’t talk to Jim like that.” Claudia sneered, rubbing Jim’s shoulders. “He’s your husband and no matter…”

“Oh please, mom,” He chimed in rudely, gesturing to her. “I am not ready for your lecture this night. But why am I not surprised that you’re supporting him without hearing my side of the story.”

“What do you want me to support you for?” She asked with a raised eyebrow. “Jim already told me everything that happened and you should be apologizing to him.”

“For what?” He shrugged. “For embarrassing all of us at the party. I told you not to create a scene but you still did it anyways. Right in front of all those businessmen and the press. Wow!” He chuckled bitterly.

“What did you want me to do?” Jim argued. “Watch you humiliate me in front of everyone? I saw you, David. I saw you and that slut coming out of that room and only God knows how far you went with what you were doing in there.”

David couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“You know, you really need therapy because you’re losing it!” He said softly. “Can you even hear yourself? I didn’t do anything with Ben at the party if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“And I will be a fool to believe that.”

“Look…” He slightly hit his head, taking a deep breath. “…like I said, I am too tired to talk to you. I want to rest.”

He tried to leave but Jim gripped the hem of his shirt and pulled him back rudely. David was not a person known for fighting but he was starting to feel himself get provoked to the point where he wanted to slap Jim. He took a deep breath and just stared at the boy that stared back at him in anger.

“Let go of my shirt!”

But Jim didn’t listen. Instead, he took a chunk full of the shirt and held even harder. David wanted to say something when….

“Daddy!”

He heard Michael’s voice right before he heard his tiny footsteps running down the stairs. He looked towards him and saw him happily running towards him with Amber behind him, equally wearing a smile. Suddenly, a radiant smile spread across his face, eyes sparkling with an electric energy that illuminated the room. Seeing his bundle of joy, he knew he had to control himself because he didn’t want to scare him.

“Michael, baby, hi!” He chuckled happily, pulling the shirt from Jim’s grip.

“You came, daddy. I was waiting for you.”

“Yes, baby.”

“I heard noise, daddy.”

“It’s nothing, sweetie!”

He maintained the smile and was about to start going towards his son when Jim rudely pushed him away and started going to Michael instead. He still that pissed off look and seeing that, the boy slowed down because he had seen that face before.

“Go to your room!” Jim said commanded. “Can’t you see that your parents are talking?”

“But… daddy told me I could play with him when he comes back.”

“And I say go to your room and sleep.” He said, clenching his fist. “Now!”

Michael froze and the look in his eyes showed how scared of the man he was. He couldn’t tear his eyes away from him. He glanced at David who was staring back at him without saying a word to him.

“Daddy…”

“Wasn’t what I said clear?” Jim roared. “Why can’t you ever listen, you little brat?”

Jim was so impatient with the little boy and it soon turned into frustration. Without thinking, he rushed to Michael and pushed him away with more force than intended. The child stumbled backward and tripped, falling onto the hard floor with a thud. A gasp escaped everyone else in the living room as they witnessed the unexpected act.

David ran like the hounds of hell were after him towards his son. He knelt in front of him and raised him. The boy held his forehead in pain with a small but visible cut oozing blood. Seeing that, David felt like he had been possessed. He raised his head and looked at Jim with the most hateful eyes he’d ever given anyone before.

“Michael!” Amber rushed to the child, kneeling before him. “Oh my God, what kind of person are you?” She asked as she looked up at the man that she hated more than anything. “Why would you push a child like that? Have you gone crazy?”

Jim hissed and looked away, crossing his arms on his chest. He didn’t care.

David clenched his fists, feeling his heart pounding wickedly in his chest. Not only did he see red, but his eyes got red. His body shook from all the anger that he felt.

“Can you take Michael inside and take care of him, Amber?”

Amber nodded and carefully took Michael in his arms and rushed upstairs. David got up and stared at Jim. The man had never seen his husband so angry before. Even past arguments, David had never looked as upset as he was at that time.

“How dare you, Jim!” He glowered, teeth clenched. “How could you hurt my son? You know very well that he is only a small child. What if you had injured him more than you did?”

“Oh please!” Jim rolled his eyes, hissing. “He’s gonna be fine. It is just a small cut and it is gonna heal. It’s not like he lost a lot of blood.”

“It’s just a small cut?” He shrugged. “And he should have listened when I told him to go upstairs. He’s turning into a stupid little brat that pisses me off. He needs to be taught a lesson.”

David chuckled bitterly right before his face became stern.

“Is that what you think of our child? Before anything, you should put that child first?”

“Why should I?” He snapped.

David took a deep breath, his voice cold and determined.

“You’re always like this with him and I am getting tired. I won't let you hurt that child like this.” He paused for a second. “I can't stay in a marriage where my child is not safe. Let’s just end this.”

“What did you say?” Jim let out a sharp breath, a shiver go down his spine. “What do you mean by that?”

“Let’s break up!” David said with determination. “I want a divorce.”

Jim’s eyes widened in shock, panic overtaking him. His mind raced, and he felt the ground beneath him slipping away. David had delivered a blow he didn’t expect, and his hands begin to shake uncontrollably. His heart stumbled over its own rhythm and a chill froze him to his spot.

Claudia on the other hand felt a sickening wave of terror welling up from her belly. She clung to the nearest support, fingers digging into the hard surface, seeking an anchor in the storm of her panic, desperate for something to hold onto.

“No,” He shook his head, his eyes teary. “No, I am sorry, David.” He took the man’s hands and held them tightly. “I am so sorry. I was wrong. I messed up. I'm sorry. It won't happen again. I promise. I will apologize to Michael and… and we’ll go back to being the happy family we’ve always been.”

“Happy family?” David asked, his head shaking. “You’ve always been hurting that child for as long as I can remember. You even suggested once that we needed a child with at least one of our DNA.” He furiously released his arms. “You’ve never loved Michael and you never will. The only reason you’ve tolerated him is because of me.”

“No!” Jim shook his head. “That’s not true…”

“But you seem to forget that the reason I accepted this marriage in the first place was because of Michael, the love you initially showed for him. Or pretended to show for him.” He said, feeling stupid all of a sudden. “I won't let my child be a victim of your anger.”

“David, please don't do this. I love you, I love our family. I'll change. Just give me another chance.”

David looked at Jim, his face unmoved by the plead. He moved away from him.

“Jim, I really thought this was gonna work. I thought maybe we could repair our family, but this isn’t working.”

“No!” Jim yelled, gripping David’s collar and pulling him closer. “It’s not working because of that slut. This isn’t about that brat or anything…”

“There we go again.” David shook his head. “This is about you and me. I can't do this anymore. The constant arguing, the pain—it's been tearing us apart long before Ben came in the picture, and worse, it's been affecting my child mostly. We both know I only agreed to make this work because of our son, Michael. But look at us now, we’re becoming more and more miserable.”

“No, no…” Jim shook his head, suppressing the tears that threatened to come out. He let go of David’s collar and adjusted it properly. “…I am not miserable. I am very happy. Don’t you see how happy I am with you.”

He got closer and wrapped his arm around David’s neck, pulling him closer.

“Don’t you see how much I love you?” He said desperately. “I don't want to lose you. Please, give me another chance. I'll do anything to make it right.”

“No!” David took Jim’s hands off him. “I've given you chances, and I've forgiven you more times than I can count, even when you cheated me and blamed it on me. But I can't keep living like this. It's not healthy for any of us.” He took a deep breath. “I’ve already made my decision.”

Suddenly, Jim’s face contorted into a mask of rage and his gaze burned with an intensity that could scorch the earth. His fists clenched and his jaw tensed. He visibly shook in rage.

“You really do not know me, David!” He seethed. “You cannot tell me what I can and cannot do. You’re my husband and I am not going to allow you to break up with me, our family, never! I will fight you to the last drop of my blood if I have to do it.”

“Suit yourself! But nothing will make me change my mind.” He had made his decision. “And from now on, I will be staying in Michael’s room. I don’t want you anywhere near him, otherwise, I don’t know what I will do if you lay your hands on him. Don’t push me, Jim!” He warned. “I have been nothing but patient with you. But you have exhausted my patience!”

“David, please…”

Before Jim could finish a sentence, David turned away and began rushing upstairs, leaving Jim shattered with a heart full of fear. Tears streamed down his face as he realized the gravity of David’s decision.

“Mother!” He wailed as he stumbled towards Claudia who was equally shocked. “Please, talk to David. He can’t say that to me, please. David cannot leave me… not now…. Not ever.”

“Jim… I… I will talk to him.” She stuttered. “But why did you have to do that? I have always told you that to get to David, you have to use Michael and look how you messed it all up.”

“Please, help me!”

“Shhh…”

Claudia wrapped an arm around Jim, holding him before he dropped to his knees and cried like a baby. Although Claudia had told Jim she was gonna talk to David, she knew very well the outcome of it all. One thing was for sure, things were not what they seemed to be. And she was very scared.

***

Ben entered the huge office and couldn’t help but be mesmerized by it. It had everything in it… it could easily pass for a small apartment. It didn’t take him long before he saw the couple seated in the living area, waiting for him-Amber and Isaac. It was at Isaac’s hospital and man, the guy’s office was everything.

Ben’s footsteps were heavy with exhaustion. His face looked a little pale and he had bags under his eyes. The past few days, he had been so occupied with trying to look for Dr. Peters that he hadn’t had time to sleep. With each breath, he seemed to struggle, his shoulders slumped under the weight of his emotional fatigue. His movements were slow, as if every motion required an effort he could scarcely muster. As he approached his friends, their concerned gazes met his weakened one,

“Ben!” Amber rose from the couch and walked to him. “Hey, are you okay? You don’t look so good.”

“Yeah!” He smiled sheepishly.

“No!” Amber coiled her arm with his, leading him to the couch. “Take a seat. Do you need anything?”

“No!” He shook his head.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Isaac asked with concern. “You’re at a hospital and I can quickly run some tests on you.”

“I am fine!” He nodded. “I am just pretty tired. I only came here because you said that it’s urgent.”

“Yeah, had I known, I would have come to you instead.” Amber said.

“Well, I am here already.” Ben shrugged, chuckling softly. “What seems to be the matter?”

Isaac and Amber exchanged nervous looks before they took their focus on Ben.

“It’s about you and David!” Isaac finally let out.

Ben winced at the mention of David, the pain still fresh in his mind. He closed his eyes, trying to block out the memories that threatened to overwhelm him.

“David has been going through a lot lately.” Amber chimed in. “Ever since…” She hesitated for a second before she continued. “…ever since you guys spent that night together, he seems so lost, so lonely. He’s so overwhelmed with these memories that keep flooding his brain and he doesn’t know what to do about them.”

She moved closer and held his hand lovingly. Ben opened his eyes and looked at her.

“I don’t know what went on six years ago, what led to these events but I still believe my brother loves you so much. He’s hating and you avoiding him is not making it any easier.”

“Amber?” He said, his voice barely above a whisper. “What are you trying to say?”

“I have given so much thought about this and I gotta ask, is there really no hope for you two?”

Ben felt a shiver go down his spine at the question. His heart began racing and he visibly trembled.

“Hope?” He sighed. “David is a married man and not just to someone random but my brother. And in case you’ve forgotten, I was left for dead in the hospital while he was getting married.”

“We don’t know what happened, Ben!” Amber shook her head. “But all I know is that what you and David had was the realest love that I have ever seen. He left everything just to be with you. David didn’t care about anything as long as he was with you.”

“Please, Amber,”

“That’s the truth.” Amber continued. “David and Jim may be married but they’ve never been happy, trust me. I have been with them the last six years and although David had tried to make it work for the sake Michael, look where it has led.”

“That still doesn’t make what you’re suggesting right.” Ben shook his head. “What David and I had ended six years ago. If David really wanted to be with me, he wouldn’t have gone ahead with the wedding vows. I was there, Amber.” He said with tears in his eyes. “I watched him say I do. He looked at me and still agreed to go ahead with the marriage. Do you know how painful that was?”

“We’re not disputing that.” Isaac said abruptly. “But I’ve seen you both and believe me, you’re miserable without each other.”

“What I had with David was deep and the bond we formed was strong.” He sighed, rubbing his tears. “But his betrayal hurt deeper. You don’t know what I went through after that. It took a miracle for me to even be here.”

"I'm not here to make excuses for him. What he did to you was inexcusable. But I can't ignore the fact that he's miserable now, trapped in a marriage with someone he doesn’t love.”

Ben looked at Amber. “It’s not my fault. That was a decision he made.”

“I know you love him too, Ben.” She slightly smiled. “We heard what you said at the party. You said you had more rights to be with him than Jim. What did you mean by that?”

Memories flooded his mind, painful reminders of a past he couldn't escape. In that moment, his heart felt like a shattered mirror, each piece a jagged shard that cut deeper with every beat. He took a deep breath and dropped his gaze to the marbled floor.

“When David and I left the city, he didn’t want to lose me ever again. So, he promised to make us whole.” He paused for a long while. “We found this temple and we… we got married there before we proceeded to the village where we stayed for months.”

“What?”

Amber and Isaac looked at each other in shock.

“Are you serious?” Isaac gasped. “Do you know what that means? You’re still married to David, and according to the law, you’re still the legal husband.”

“No!” He shook his head, rising from the couch. “It doesn’t mean anything, not after what happened in the past. David made his decision and, in the end, he chose the one he wanted to be with.”

“But…”

“Right now, I have been given a new purpose and it’s what I wanna focus on.” He said confidently. “Everything else does not matter. I don’t want to linger in the past. I just wanna be happy with my child.”

With those words, he took his phone and started heading out.

“David and Jim are getting divorced!” Amber hollered.

Ben stood for a second but never looked back. Instead, he went his way, leaving the two leaving more confused and desperate than ever.

***

Ben was driving while also trying his best to get unnecessary thoughts out of his head. That conversation with Isaac and Amber had brought him memories he had forgotten about. But he knew that he needed to focus. He was so close to finding his child and that was the only thing that mattered.

Taking a deep breath, he turned on the radio and started listening to some music, trying to relax himself. However, he had only driven for a few minutes when out of the blue a wave of dizziness swept over him, disorienting his senses. The world outside the car seemed to blur and sway, the lines on the road merging into a disconcerting dance of patterns. His stomach churned, and a nauseating sensation crept up from the pit of his stomach.

As the nausea crept in, Ben’s grip on the steering wheel tightened, his knuckles turning pale. The scent of the car's interior, once unnoticeable, now exacerbated his discomfort. His breath became shallow, and he felt a subtle lurching motion beneath him, as if the vehicle was floating on unsteady ground.

He tried to steady his driving but the sensation of dizziness only intensified, threatening to overwhelm him entirely. Fear gnawed at his insides as he realized he couldn't continue driving like this. Ben slowed down and parked under a huge, tree.

He got out and took a deep breath, feeling a little better. He scanned for water but there was nothing in his car. Lucky for him, the area he was had some shops. He slowly walked to one and got himself two bottles of water, emptying one into the mouth with a long gulp.

Feeling a bit relieved, he went back to his car and just stood outside, trying to get some fresh air.

As he took another sip and looked up, his eyes widened with horror. A speeding car, seemingly out of control, was hurtling directly towards him. Time slowed as Ben’s mind raced to comprehend the impending danger. Panic gripped him, and he froze in place, the water bottle slipping from his hand.

Fear gripped him like a vice as he realized he was rooted to the spot, unable to move. The sound of screeching tires filled the air, and Ben closed his eyes, bracing for impact...

There was a violent exploding sound that was heard by everyone that was near by.

1 second

2 second

3 seconds

10 seconds

“Are you alright?”

When Ben came back to reality, he was lying on the ground. His heart was pounding violently on his ribcage like it was trying to run away from him. He felt very cold, disorientated and bewildered.

“Hey!” He heard a voice again. “Are you okay?”

His mouth shook uncontrollably, he couldn’t speak. He was in shock. However, when he raised his face to look at the man, his savior, he got another surprise. It was blurry at first but everything became clear. Those sky-blue eyes that looked like the sun shone through then… smooth mixed skin, pink lips. It was Brandon.

“Ben!” Brandon called, helping him up. He cupped his cheeks and began inspecting his face. “Are you hurt anywhere?”

But Ben was too stunned to speak. Gasping for breath, Ben tried to process what had just happened. It was only when he turned his attention to the scene unfolding before him that the shock transformed into sheer horror. The speeding car had crashed violently into the front of his car, glass shattering into a thousand pieces with smoke billowing from the engine.

A few people had come rushing and they were shouting, asking for help. Unconsciously, Ben stumbled towards the wrecked car and saw the door wrecked and open. A figure slumped over the steering wheel, blood pooling around them. It was only when he got near that the realization hit him like a tidal wave, leaving him breathless and disoriented.

“Jim!” He managed a word. “Jim!”

Rushing forward, Ben’s hands shook as he reached out to his brother.

“Jim! Jim, can you hear me?”

But there was no response. Jim lay there, unconscious and bleeding. Some people came rushing and they helped get Jim out of the car carefully, laying him on the ground. Ben stayed by his side until paramedics came to pick him up.

***

Ben was seated on a chair opposite the emergency room, his heart racing and flickering with that light at the entrance. He was still shook from what had happened and those images kept on playing over and over again. He stared at his hands, seeing that blood just made things worse. He wanted someone to wake him up from that nightmare, a nightmare of his brother…

“Ben!”

Ben was gotten out of his thoughts when he heard his name. He looked up and saw the hunk handing a bottle of water to him. Hesitantly, he took the bottle and took a sip, feeling a little calm. Brandon knelt beside him and took his hands in his, rubbing on them sweetly.

“You’re still shaking. Are you sure you don’t need to see a doctor too?”

Ben shook his head.

“What is happening Ben?” Brandon asked with a frown on his face. “What’s going on because that didn’t seem like an accident to me? That seemed like he was trying to make an attempt on your life. Last I remembered, you two were very close, inseparable. What happened?”

Ben’s mouth opened to speak but no word came out of it.

“I am sorry.” Brandon apologized. “You’re still in shock. You should rest.”

He sat beside Ben and couldn’t tear his eyes off him. He stayed with him until…

“Ben,”

Ben almost jumped out of his seat when he heard his father’s voice. With tears in his eyes, he rushed to him and wrapped his arms tightly around him. Feeling his father’s embrace, Ben was able to feel much better.

“How did this happen?” Jerome asked with tears in his eyes, breaking from the hug. “And you two…”

“Ben is still in shock, sir!” Brandon chimed in. “But from what I have seen, I think the attempt was to kill Ben. Luckily, I was there too and I managed to get him out of the way.”

“What?” Jerome’s face lost its color. “Jim tried to kill you? Why? How?”

“I don’t know.” Ben managed to speak. “He… he is in there bleeding and he lost a lot of blood, dad. I am so scared.”

“Shhh…”

Jerome held his son in his arms and the two just embraced each other. Jerome was scared after hearing the news of his son’s accident but what he had found out was just horrific. As they embraced, the doctor came out and they all rushed to him.

“Doctor, how’s my son doing?”

The doctor sighed. “He sustained a few injuries and lost a lot of blood. Right now, he needs urgent blood transfusion.”

“Then what’s holding you back?”

“Well, his blood type is rare and we don’t have it right now.”

“That’s not a problem. You can take as much as you want from me.”

“Alright, come with me so that we can do some tests.”

Jerome quickly left with the doctor. Ben started pacing slowly, trying to relieve the tension that had built up. But as he did, a sudden wave of dizziness washed over him. It felt as though the room was spinning around him.

He blinked rapidly, trying to shake the sensation off, but the dizziness only grew worse, swirling through his head like a whirlpool. He felt lightheaded and disoriented, his heart pounding in his chest. He swayed unsteadily on his feet, feeling as though the ground was shifting beneath him. Panic surged within him, his breath coming in short, shallow gasps.

“Ben!”

Brandon rushed to him and got him in his arms before he could fall. And then, with a soft groan, Ben’s world went dark as he went unconscious, his body succumbing to the overwhelming sensation of dizziness and fatigue.

***

As Ben slowly regained consciousness, the world around him began to take shape. The harsh, white light overhead made him squint. He groaned, his head pounding as he tried to make sense of his surroundings. He was lying in a bed and he didn’t need to be a genius to figure that out. He had passed out after all.

As his vision cleared, he noticed Amber and Isaac standing nearby, their gazes fixed on him. They both wore a mixture of concern and astonishment on their face. Ben’s confusion deepened.

“What happened?” His voice sounded hoarse.

“You fainted,” Isaac said, his tone serious. “But… there’s something else and I don’t know how to explain this to you.”

“What-what do you mean? Is something wrong with me?”

Isaac gestured toward the ultrasound machine, and Ben’s eyes followed his movement. His heart raced as he saw the image on the screen, an image he knew very well – a tiny, pulsating heartbeat. It took a moment for the realization to sink in.

"That's...?" Ben stammered, his breath catching in his throat.

“You fainted, Ben," he explained gently. "We were worried, so we ran some tests, including an ultrasound." He took a deep breath, not knowing how Ben was gonna take this. “You’re pregnant!”

‘You’re pregnant!’

Those words echoed in his head, awakening a fear that he hadn’t felt in a long time. Time seemed to stand still for a moment as the words hung in the air. Ben’s mind raced, grappling with the unexpected revelation. Pregnant? The shock spread across his face, mirroring the astonishment in both Amber and Issac’s expression.

"Pregnant?" He repeated, the word tasting foreign on his lips.

***

Elena stormed into the doctor’s office, filled with anger. When she saw him there, her anger just overshot.

“This better be some very good news, doctor!” She said harshly, hitting her fists on the table. “I haven’t seen my son and some of your staff told me to bring me here.”

“Welcome, Mrs. Henandez.” The doctor said, gesturing for her to sit.

“Do I look like I am here to sit on this cheap seat.” She rolled her eyes. “I came here to see my son. Why was I called here?”

“Alright!” The doctor sighed before clearing his voice. “Your son had sustained some injuries and lost lots of blood. However, his blood type is rare. We ran some tests and we found a problem.”

Elena’s breath caught in her throat. She exchanged a worried glance with the doctor before mustering the courage to speak. “What do you mean by that? What’s wrong with my son’s blood?”

The doctor hesitated for a second. “Well, it appears that Jim’s blood type doesn't match your husband's.”

Elena felt a chill run down her spine. Her mind raced, and for a moment, she was frozen where she stood. A surge of fear washed over her as she realized the implications of what the doctor was implying.

“I called you here because I didn’t want to give the news to your husband first.” The doctor sighed. “However, it's crucial that we identify a suitable blood donor for your son as soon as possible.”

“Find another blood for him.” Elena said, almost as a command. “The blood doesn’t match, so what?”

“Mrs….”

“Do I need to do your job for you?” She snapped.

“No, it’s just that I wanted you to know this. According to your husband, both of you share the same blood group. If your son has a different one, it means that…”

“Means what?” She yelled.

“Means that Mr. Henandez is possibly not Jim’s father.”

Elena chuckled bitterly, leaning on the table, close to the man. “No, it doesn’t. Find that blood for my son as soon as possible. My husband will not be told anything. You and I never had this conversation. You will keep this to yourself and take it to your grave.” She warned, raising her finger at him. “And the reward is gonna be life changing. However, if you decide to go against, just know I can make you disappear just like that.” She snapped her finger in his face.

The doctor gulped. “Y-yes, ma’am.”

“Now get out and do your job!”

The doctor nodded and rushed out of the room. In anger, Elena cleared everything on the table, throwing it on the floor.

“Fuck!” She screamed at the top of her lungs, gripping her hair.

She furiously turned, but in that instant, her world seemed to stop. She felt as though she had been plunged into an icy lake, her entire body frozen in shock. Her husband stood at the entrance, his blood red eyes staring deep into her soul. His first were clenched, trembling as if there was a storm going on inside. The room seemed to freeze around her.

“J-j-jerome,” She stammered, her voice catching in her throat.

To be continued…

***

Secrets,

Deception,

Betrayal,

And confessions…

Will Ben get reunited with his child or will the truth crash him for life. The grand finale you can’t afford to miss.

Stay tuned….

Can't believe we've come this far and how successful this series has been. I am usually emotional towards the end so to think that I only have one more chapter for this story, I know it is gonna be difficult for me to say goodbye to these characters. But, thanks guys for the support. You really motivate me to share more stories with you.
Copyright © 2023 vanalas; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 10
  • Wow 1
Thanks a lot to everyone that took the time to read my work. I love you guys a lot. Don't forget to drop your comments about what you think about my work. Ciao!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What an amazing chapter! So many twists and turns. I cannot wait for the final chapter now!  Thank you for your hard work and sharing this with us! 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Hmmmm So Elena isnt the goody two shoes everybody thinks she is..One word for her.WHORE..Jerome heard everything the doctor said.. the you know what is gonna hit the fan, finally..Hopefully Claudia will be with her when all the truth comes out..I cannnot wait for the next chapter..Thanks for an exciting story..😘

  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Wow, so much drama.  My guess is that Michael is Ben and David’s son, and now they’re going to have another one.  That twist with the blood type at the end. Very dramatic cliffhanger.

  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment

You write great love/hate stories: I love to hate half your characters while I love the other half: High society, high drama. Great read 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Can't wait!!!!!! This is the most exciting of your stories...each of them awesome...this one is ❤️‍🔥💯

  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, VBlew said:

My guess is that Michael is Ben and David’s son, and now they’re going to have another one.

I'm rooting for a baby girl - Leah! 🙂👶:heart:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..