Jump to content
    vlista20
  • Author
  • 4,489 Words
  • 4,415 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tyler - 4. Chapter 4

Tyler - Chapter 4

“So how was your date yesterday?” Julie asked smiling over to Tyler in the passenger seat as they made their way to school. She did not get home til late the night before and he’d already been sleeping.

“Very good.” Tyler nodded as he rummaged through his bag thinking he’d left one of his books at home. Spotting it inside his bag he sighed with relief and zipped it back up. “I really like him.” he said turning his head to her. “He seems sweet as hell and he’s got one fine bod. Not to mention face.”

“He’s a great guy Tyler. You don’t ever have to worry about him cheating or stabbing you in the back. When someone catches his heart they have been known to stick.”

Smiling as a warm feeling ran through his body he turned and looked out the window. A light snow was falling though no where hard enough for school to be called off. He didn’t mind that he had always hated snow days. School had always been the better of the two places between there and home.

The car stopped in a parking spot of the school parking lot and they both got out. Tyler walked in the front door and straight to his locker where his warm feeling was replaced with a cold chill. The words ‘die Washington die’ were scrawled on his locker and a crudely drawn picture of who he assumed was to be himself was lying in a pool of blood with an arrow through his heart below the words.

He looked to his left where a couple of girls were eyeing him cautiously then hearing snickering from the other directions he saw a group of letter jacketed jocks leering at him. One of them who probably outweighed Tyler by fifty pounds lumbered over and stood inches from him. “You better watch your back around here punk. You are the enemy and none of us here want you around.” He pressed his hand into Tyler’s chest and before he could back away he was shoved back into his locker hard enough so his head flew back and smashed against it. “I’d grow eyes in the back of your head scum.” He was pounded into his locker again before the guy whose jacket said his name was Steve turned around and took off. Another large group of kids were behind where Steve was standing and they all started laughing at Tyler standing there looking stunned his head pounding where it had nailed his locker twice.

Tyler swallowed hard as he looked them all over briefly then slowly turned to face his locker. His shaky hands managed to get the combination worked out and he popped the lock open and rummaged through the books. He couldn’t believe his situation. He’d been picked on at Washington for so obviously not belonging there. He’d only gone there six months had never attended a sporting event or made a friend. Now he was being bullied here at Norton cause he was supposedly one of the Washington’s. He shook his head as anger welled up in him it never seemed to fail no matter where he was he never fit in.

He slammed his locker closed after getting his books then pushed through the snickering crowd to his first period class. Sitting down at one of the tables that seated two he ripped his pak open and pulled out his Latin book. Another guy in a blue and white letter jacket walked in and sat down in the other chair at his table giving him a dirty look while he sat down and continuing it even after.

Tyler looked over at him. “If you hate me so why in hell are you sitting here?”

“To keep an eye on you.”

“What do you think I’m gonna do? Call my friends at Washington on my cell phone in here and tell ‘em all your stupid foot ball ‘secret plays?’” he wasn’t sure why he just didn’t tell him that he wasn’t really a Washington. He figured maybe it was because he didn’t really care whether this jock or any of the other’s liked him.

“Just shut your stupid mouth faggot.”

Tyler’s eyes widened as apparently they knew this information about him as well. He turned his head away from the guy and opened his book resisting an urge to grab onto the guys crotch and give it a gentle squeeze just to see the guy freak out. He knew, however, it would only result in him getting the hell pounded out of him.

Through out the morning while walking from class to class he was teased and ridiculed at least once sometimes he was even followed from class to class so they could taunt him the whole way. By the time he got to lunch he was a mass of nerves and was grateful he would get to sit by Connor, that was if Connor still wanted anything to do with him.

After getting his tray of food and turning back to the cafeteria he had to smile as Connor waved him over to the table he was sharing with Bobby and Rick. Though Rick was not his favorite person he’d survive it to be able to sit with Connor.

He was just about to the table when he was pushed from behind sending his milk carton flying off his tray and across the room. He slammed his tray down on the table by Connor then walked over to get his milk. He was bent over it about to grab onto it when a booted foot stomped down on it sending the milk spraying in all directions which hit him in the face and shirt.

He stood up to see Steve again his arms across his chest as he glared at him. “Problem?”

Tyler shook his head then walked over and sat down where Bobby, Rick and Connor were all looking at him with that pitiful look in their eyes. “What?” he snapped then immediately regretted it as Connor’s eyes turned fearful. He softened his face into a smile. “Sorry,”

Connor shook his head and looked over at Steve who was now making his way to the food line. “Here you can have my milk.” he said handing it over.

Tyler shook his head and pushed it back. “I wasn’t thirsty anyways.”

Rick looked over at him. “Why don’t you just tell them you hated Washington too? That you were only there for a few months?”

“They don’t give a shit about that.” Tyler said glaring over at him. “They just want to tease me. If it wasn’t that they’d find something else.”

“You can’t let them just walk all over you Tyler. If you do they ain’t never gonna stop.”

Tyler’s head snapped over to him again. “Just back off asshole.” He pushed his tray ahead and stood up from the table then left the cafeteria all together

“Oh nice.” Connor snarled at Rick.

“Wasn’t my fault man I was just giving him advice. I told you he was trouble.”

Connor slammed his hand down on the table and leaned closer to Rick. “He wasn’t the one causing trouble you shit. What the hell is your problem?” Flinging his own tray across the table he stood up and left the cafeteria himself.

Rick looked over at Bobby and sighed. “Well I guess I know how to clear a table.”

Bobby looked at him sideways.

“You don’t think that was my fault do you?”

“I don’t think it was your fault Tyler was so mad Rick, but you can’t blame him for being pissed. He was just made a fool of in front of Connor. Why do you think he’s got problems by being mad about that?”

“My mom deals with these kids all the time man. They all got problems.”

“That’s an awful assumption Rick. It really upsets me that you would think that way.”

“You just don’t know man.” Rick said shaking his head.

“Is what you told Connor really all you know about him?”

“Yes,”

“Then you don’t know Rick. Cut the kid a break. Connor had a great time with him yesterday.

Rick sighed and nodded his head slightly. “Alright man, but I still say I did nothing wrong in his little outburst here.” he said pointing down at the table.

Connor searched the bathrooms, the gym, the locker room and half the classrooms before he found Tyler sitting with his head in his hands and his elbows up on one of the libraries tables. He took a deep breath hoping Tyler would not yell at him for hunting him down then walked over to the table and sat down in the seat right beside him.

He reached out and put his hand on Tyler’s arm and Tyler slowly raised his head out of his hands. He looked at Connor and smiled as he slowly shook his head. “I’m sorry, Connor. I didn’t mean to get so mad.”

“It’s okay Tyler. Rick just doesn’t know when to keep his mouth shut.”

“I don’t like that guy. I don’t know if it’s just cause he doesn’t like me or not but I don’t. Anything that comes out of his mouth sets me on edge.”

“How do you know he doesn’t like you?” Connor asked looking into Tyler’s eyes as he was sure he hadn’t mentioned it himself.

“Robert overheard something he said on Saturday. Told me to watch out for him cause he didn’t trust me.” He looked into Connor’s face feeling he had to say something. “It’s not my fault I’m a foster kid. I didn’t do anything wrong.”

Connor’s heart seemed to melt through his chest at the desperation he heard in Tyler’s voice and could read on his face. “I didn’t think that Tyler.”

“But he does. And I don’t know what he’s told you.”

“He hasn’t told me anything. What he told you on Saturday is all he knows. His mom can’t tell him anymore it’s a confidentiality thing. I know cause I asked him to dig for me.”

A hurt look came over Tyler’s face and Connor cocked his head to one side and smiled a small smile. “It’s no big thing Tyler. You did the same thing with me. Remember?”

Looking a little better Tyler nodded. “Yeah I guess you’re right. And if you and I last and get as close as I want I’ll tell you. Please don’t snoop around behind my back. It’s nothing to be proud of and it will take time for me to work up the nerve to tell you. But I want to tell you myself. I don’t want you finding out through someone else.”

Rubbing his hand up and down Tyler’s clothed arm he nodded. “Okay, that sounds fair. But be prepared to tell cause I plan us getting close and I plan on us lasting.”

Tyler smiled and put his hand over Connor’s that was on his arm. “I’m planning on that too. Hopefully I can keep my attitude in check so you don’t dump me.”

“I saw nothing today that would make me want to dump you. You had every right to be mad.”

Smiling again Tyler sat back in his chair and sighed. “So am I gonna get to hear more about your mom today in English?” he knew today was the day the rest of the class would read their papers out loud. If there was time he figured he may as well read his too since it was all done. He was very proud of his latest work of fiction and though it was obvious most of the kids in the school hated him he still wasn’t to nervous about reading it out loud.

“Well of course.” Connor chortled. “When do you want to come and meet her?”

“Already time to meet the parents?”

Chuckling again he shook his head. “The time will be whenever you want to. I’m ready anytime. You’ll love my mom and I know she’ll love you. So there’s nothing to worry about.”

He didn’t get to read his story that day but didn’t mind much as he was so moved by Connor’s he hardly thought about his own. Suddenly he couldn’t wait to meet this woman who had been described as this pillar of strength and giver of great love. He was gathering his books to take home again when Rick sidled up beside him then leaned back against the locker beside his.

“Sorry about today at lunch man. I should have minded my own business.”

Tyler looked him over then nodded.

Rick looked him over as well his eyes widening like he was expecting him to say something.

“What?” Tyler asked more then snapped this time.

“You could try a little harder to be friendly with me. For the sake of our friends at least. It ain’t my fault my mother happens to be your social worker.”

“But it’s your fault you don’t like me or trust me just cause I’m a foster kid.”

“How do you know that? Did Connor tell you?” he asked angrily.

“No, my friend at the shoe store overheard you. Connor’s got enough respect not to say something like that. My friend at work did just cause he wanted me to watch out for you.” He closed his locker and leaned his shoulder against while he continued to look directly into Rick’s eyes. “Connor did tell me you know nothing about me. That your mom isn’t allowed to say. So that tells me you’ve got no reason to distrust me other then my circumstances. That’s not fair and I don’t like people who are unfair. So until you get over your high and mighty better then you attitude I have no desire to be your friend.”

Rick’s eyes narrowed as his mouth hung open. Tyler smiled cordially gave a concise nod then brushed past him on his retreat from the school. Julie was on the step waiting for him. “Hey, rough day huh?”

Tyler nodded without hesitation as they walked together down to her car. The ride home was a silent one. Tyler tensed seeing Julie’s parents car in the driveway they’d been gone a week and he’d only actually had to deal with them on his first day in the house. Neither seemed very nice but they hadn’t seemed all out mean either.

Julie sensing his nervousness gave his thigh a reassuring squeeze. He looked over at her and she smiled before they both got out of the car. Inside Mr. Kyle Henderson and his wife Nicole were sitting at the diningroom table. “Can you two come in here please.”

Tyler looked at Julie who edged him forward into the room. They both sat down side by side across from her parents. “How’s things going Tyler?” her mother asked smiling tritely at him.

“Good ma’am.” He answered rubbing his hands together nervously below the table.

She nodded and looked to her husband.

“We are going to your grandmother’s for the week of Thanksgiving Julie. We will leave on Sunday morning and get back the next Saturday morning. Tyler you can stay here. But I don’t want anyone in this house but you do you understand me?” he said pointing a rigid finger at him.

Tyler was in the middle of a nod when Julie spoke up. “That’s not fair dad. He shouldn’t have to stay here all alone. He deserves to have a thanksgiving too.”

“He’s not our family Julie. And Thanksgiving is for family.”

Julie looked at Tyler sadly who tried to tell her with his eyes he’d rather stay home and to stop arguing which apparently did not work.

“How can you be so insensitive? Gram wouldn’t care. She’s got a heart.” The man’s fist slammed down on the table causing Tyler to jump and his whole body to go rigid directly after.

“Don’t you back talk me girl. The three of us are going.” he said pointing to Julie, his wife then himself. “He’s staying here. And if you keep yammering I won’t even let him stay in the house. He can spend the week starving on the streets.”

“You’re such an asshole dad.” She steamed. She got up from her chair slammed it against the table causing Tyler to jump again then stormed off down the hall where her door slammed loudly.

Her father glared over at Tyler. “You messing with her boy?”

“What?” He asked shocked.

“Fucking her.” He snarled his beady eyes boring into Tyler.

He managed to stammer a “No sir”

“Cause if I find out you are I’ll beat the snot out of you and kick you out on your unwanted ass. Now get the hell out of my face.”

Swallowing hard Tyler stood up shakily. He slowly pushed his chair back in then hurried off to his own room where he quietly closed the door. He looked up at the ceiling trying to calm his raging nerves as he took several deep breaths. He absolutely hated times like these that always showed up here and there to remind him that he was an outsider and a loser. This time was a little different though. This time someone had actually stuck for him.

He smiled as he looked over at the bed. He actually had someone in the house that liked him. That was more then he’d ever had before. Despite all the yelling and slamming of hands that had scared the hell out of him the situation had actually turned out pretty good. He got to stay home and not take part in some family holiday he in no way a part of. He would have this house to himself all week and he knew he had a good friend in Julie.

He walked over and laid down on his bed. He laid on his back and put his hand up on his chest. Overall things were going pretty good. He wasn’t about to start griping about the little things. He was just thinking about pulling out his books when a knock came on the door. He turned his head to it and said ‘come in’ figuring it had to be Julie.

He sat up in surprise seeing Karen Parker. His social worker and Rick’s mother. He did a mental calculation and realized that must have been why Julie’s parents were home cause it was a scheduled day for her to visit.

She smiled at him as she walked into the room and closed the door behind her. “Can I sit?” she asked pointing the spot on the edge of the mattress. He drew his knees up to his chest and nodded.

She sat down and pulled out his file. She rifled through several pages with her notes scrawled all over them to an empty one. “So how are you feeling first of all?” She asked crossing her legs over each other and setting the file on her lap as she poised her pen and smiled at him.

“Good.”

She rolled her eyes and wrote that down. He knew the eye roll was cause he always said good. “Do you like living here?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Any problems?”

“None.”

She eyed him closely. “I just talked to Julie. She told me what happened about Thanksgiving. That doesn’t bother you?”

“No ma’am.” He felt a little angry at Julie for spilling her guts but knew she didn’t know how these things worked and would just have to explain it to her.

“You know, you can’t stay here alone. You will have to come to the home that week.”

“No ma’am. I’m gonna stay at a friend’s house. He already invited me.”

“Whose house?”

He knew he couldn’t make up a person as she’d been known to check before to see if what he said was factual and he’d been caught in a lie more then once. “Connor Danforth.”

She smiled and nodded. “Nice boy, he’s a friend of my son’s. I hear you and my son don’t get along too well.”

Tyler’s face fell wishing he had a mother to run home and whine to like Rick apparently had. “I hardly know him.”

“Seems you were quite rude to him today after school.”

“I just told him how I felt. If he can’t hack it that’s his problem.” he knew he was taking the wrong approach but was feeling to pissed to control his mouth. He did not miss her sethering look before she continued on with her business.

“If I find you here alone next week I’m gonna take you down to the home. Just be forewarned okay?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“School going okay?”

“Yes ma’am.” He settled into his monotone which he usually delivered his ‘yes ma’am’s in.

“No problems here other then the thanksgiving thing?”

“No ma’am.”

“No complaints at all then?” she asked sounding annoyed.

“No ma’am.”

“You know I can’t help you if you don’t talk to me Tyler. So if you have a problem you need to tell me. I don’t want to find you in a hospital half dead with pneumonia cause you’ve been made to sleep outside again. I don’t think I need to tell you again how much that whole situation upset me.”

He turned his head and glared at her knowing she was only upset cause it had made her look bad with the state. “You could hook me up to a lie detector again.” he held back none on the sarcasm.

“You know I think I’m gonna make good on my threat.”

“Which one?”

“You,” She said scribbling down a note. “Are gonna start seeing a therapist. I want you at the hospital tomorrow at four. Your therapist will meet you in the lobby.”

Tyler’s mouth dropped open as he snatched the note out of her hand as she handed it to him. “You can kiss my ass. I have to work tomorrow.”

“You don’t show up and hunt you down and drag you there myself. Don’t mess with me Tyler. I’ve had it with you. It’s time you faced your problems and stopped taking them out on everyone else.”

His mind flashed to Rick and he was suddenly sure why this was being done. He closed his mouth and rolled onto his side away from her. Though she spit out a few more threats he ignored her as he grinded his teeth together and pressed his hands in between his thighs to keep them in place and not flying at her snotty fat face.

She got up and left and he rolled back over onto his back knowing he had to call work as he knew she would make good on her promise. He was too scared to leave the room though not wanting to run into Julie’s parents again. Another knock came on the door and he kept his mouth shut not wanting anyone else to come in.

The door opened anyway and Julie poked her head in. “Can I come in?”

He looked over at her and nodded though he didn’t really feel like talking to anyone.

She sat down on the bed and put her hand on Tyler’s chest. “I’m sorry about my parents Tyler. I’m sorry you can’t come with us.”

He looked at her studying her pretty face. “I didn’t want to go anyways. I’d rather stay here.”

“You can’t mean that.”

“I do mean that.” his anger though not at her was still coming out in his voice. “And you whining to my social worker don’t help shit. Don’t tell her stuff like that Julie she’s threatening to make me stay at the home next week.”

Julie’s eyes widened and he bristled seeing tears in her eyes. “I’m sorry I had no idea.”

“Well just don’t do it again.” He snapped only growing angrier at seeing her tears.

She nodded and wiped them away. “Can I do something for you?”

“What do you mean?”

“Get you something to eat or something?”

He sat up and glared at her. “You can stop pitying me. Jesus.” he shivered and jerked his head to one side. “Just leave if you are gonna get all sappy.”

Julie nodded and stood up. She was sappy and couldn’t help it. She hated to see anyone in so much pain whether they wanted to admit to it or not. She was about to the door when his voice stopped her.

“I do need something.” he said his voice much softer.

She turned back to him her hand frozen on the nob.

“Can you bring me the phone. I don’t dare go out there with your parents here.”

“Sure,” She turned and left the room and came back a minute later and handed over the portable phone.

He managed a smile and thanked her then held it on his shoulder til she turned and left again. He let out a long sigh as he lowered it with his hand and looked down at it. He’d never actually called in saying he wouldn’t make it to work the only time he’d missed was when he was in the hospital and Robert had taken care of that for him.

He dialed the number and put the phone slowly to his ear. “Athletic attic.”

“Can I talk to Stewart please.” he knew the voice belonged to Jeremy but didn’t feel like chit chatting so he didn’t say who he was.

“One minute please.” And about a minute later Stewart’s professional voice came on the line. “Stewart Marshall here.”

“Stewart this is Tyler.”

“Tyler how are you?” he could almost imagine his bosses wide smile and hated to picture his face falling after hearing what he had to say.

“I’m okay, but I’m sorry I can’t come into work tomorrow.”

“Everything okay Tyler?” Stewart could hear by Tyler’s voice that things weren’t okay and didn’t really expect any great answer only hoped he’d get one.

“My social worker is making me see a shrink.” He blurted it out before he could think. He rolled his eyes at himself and shook his head as his hand began to sweat under the phone.

Thinking it was a good idea himself, but knowing by the sound of Tyler’s voice that he didn’t think so Stewart sighed. “I’m sorry buddy. But don’t you worry about missing work. Your job is safe. Just let me know what your shrink schedule will be so I can work around it.”

Tyler smiled with relief in the one small win for him. “Thanks so much sir, and I really am sorry. I’ll call you tomorrow night as soon as I know anything.”

“Don’t be sorry Tyler. I know you haven’t got any choice. Don’t worry about anything here okay? Promise?”

“Yeah I promise.” Tyler said now grinning happily. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

Copyright © 2011 vlista20; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm beginning to hate Rick too, and his mom should listen to Tyler's version of the story. I loved the way Tyler told him off, since he certainly deserved it. Even Bobby told him he disapproved, which was way cool. Therapy might be a good idea, but staying with Connor over Thanksgiving is even better.

Edited by Timothy M.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Yikes! This is too small of a circle. Rick being Bobby’s bf, I’m sure will hear about Tyler not being at Connor’s for TG. How long until his Mom hears about this and strikes first and puts him in the ‘home’?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..