Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,171 Words
  • 1,325 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Funimation <br>
If you want to discuss or ask questions about concepts, feel free to go to the story discussion topic:
 

Raising a Rebel - Prologue. Prologue

Hope readers like the idea for this series

Prologue:

After three thousand years since the fall of Heavenly Emperor, Jun Wu, the three realms have seen the rise and fall of many kings and emperors. Most recently, the old order of gods was replaced by new immortals, who won their seats through martial triumphs during the Fengshen Bang (封神榜), defeating the manipulative nine-tailed fox spirit, Daji, and her cruel earthly husband, King Wu of the Shang Dynasty. The Jade Emperor now reigns in the heavens with his court. On Earth, those who allied with these new gods became nobles and formed new dynasties that made offerings and temples to their victorious gods. It was decreed by the Heavens that earthly kings may make new dynasties and kingdoms may change their names and rulers, but the new gods would always be revered and supreme above all others. Thus, it was believed by the Jade emperor and his court to end any question as to who should reign in heaven.

You may wonder, what happened to the former gods, who reigned before the time of these new immortals? Very few remember these ancient gods, the first immortals to ascend to the heavens. Many had perished during the fall of Shang, their temples were sacked and burned across the land as the battles raged between them and their followers. With their followers dead and their temples destroyed, there were no believers to offer spiritual energy that sustain them, they became forgotten and faded. Few of the ancient immortal gods from the old heavenly order remained at large with all their power and strength, despite their centuries of spiritual cultivation.

Among those who remained was Xie Lian, the humblest and most powerful of the ancient gods. He was sustained through the love of his most devoted believer and husband, the ghost king Hua Cheng, who had near limitless resources through his connection to the spiritual energies of the underworld. Xie Lian was known as the misfortunate god, who was born a crown prince and after disasters, both in heaven and earth, he survived by picking up scrap as a mortal man. He was banished twice from his heavenly office, cut by thousand swords, and defeated the heavenly Emperor Jun Wu, but showed him mercy for his many crimes. He wanted nothing and had no designs for power despite being among the most powerful and knowledgeable Taoist practitioners in all existence due to his years of spiritual cultivation. New gods through the ages did not pay him much attention, but during the events of Fengzhen Bang, he and his husband led the armies of the underworld against Daji.

As a reward for their service, Zhang Ziya, the prime minister of the Jade Emperor, wished to appoint Xie Lian marshal of the Heavenly armies and Hua Cheng ruler of the underworld, but they declined such posts. The wisest amongst the new immortals, Laozi, had implored Xie Lian to join the new order even as a senior advisor, but he declined as well and left his old temple residence for life in seclusion in the forests to avoid further requests. His husband Hua Cheng did much the same with his office as he left the underworld’s greatest ghost city to his servant, Yin Yu, who was the former god of the West. Yin Yu became Yan Wang, the supreme ruler of the underworld instead of by decree. Concerned for his former master’s place in the cosmic order, Yin Yu kept Hua Cheng’s title of Chegnzhu over the capital of the underworld and bestowed on him the additional title of Taishang Wang (太上), since Yin Yu would not accept his master receiving anything less than an equal title to his own, even if it is merely symbolic as Hua Cheng would not accept the seal of office. To Yin Yu, he had not earned the title to be the ruler of the underworld as much as his master. After all, it was Hua Cheng who led the underworld to its current prosperity and order, so its denizens still respected and honored Hua as their god. In turn, they honored Hua Cheng’s husband, the humble scrap-picking God, Xie Lian. Thus, neither vanished from existence, remaining a whispered legend in the mortal realm and cherished memory in the spirit world.

Yet, the world began to shift as the new gods of the heavens and emperors of the earth became complacent, ignoring the plight of commoners and allowing corruption into their ranks. Through the centuries, civil wars broke out, causing further suffering to the people. The cries for justice and change grew so large that they reached a distant corner of the land, where an ancient celestial stone had laid dormant since the beginning of time. This stone was crafted by Nuwa, the mother goddess of all creation. She had used stones like it to bridge the gaps across the realms, creating worlds and stars. Each stone had the power equal to that of an entire world within its potential. During the Fengshen Bang, both sides avoided stones like it, knowing the power of the mother goddess could destroy the very realms that they sought to rule. Yet, those fears had ebbed with time and arrogance with the current gods and emperors being unafraid of an ancient stone, so they settled near it, built temples, and waged war. They spilled innocent blood upon one stone. Upon these cries and blood, the stone began to stir. Eventually, it exploded creating a new creature, a small child.

He was a small child without the knowledge of his potential, nor access to the power to protect himself. He was born with an immense emptiness from all the cries of the suffering that he heard. He found others with similar features to it, but they were simple creatures, who did not understand the concept of emptiness, loss, or pain. It journeyed the land trying to understand the meaning of the cries, only to be regarded with fear and hate. To a human, the creature appeared to be a monster, a hairy ape child, who walked and talked like a man. Eventually, it was tricked with promises of food and caught inside a cage by a cruel man, who would beat and humiliate it for it to perform. The fame of this caged creature allowed this cruel man to gain great wealth and moved to the capital city of Chang ‘an. The child witnessed the many vices of the humans from treachery to murder in the service of this man. From those called slaves, he saw the care and love that some humans bore for their spouses, parents, and children, which he wished to share. He also learned from other captive humans of immortal gods, who would one day descend from the heavens and provide relief to the children and weakest among those in captivity. The child creature dreamed of a day to be free and prayed to the world for someone to treat him as they would a human child.

Yes, I am writing a fan-fiction prequel to Journey to the West, with the titular characters from Heaven Official's Blessing
The original Journey to the West never talked about how Sun Wukong grew up and his Taoist master, Puti Zhoshi, appeared to be a false honorific name since none of the well-established Taoist immortals had that name and if he was strong enough to teach Sun Wukong all of that without being offered a heavenly position, then there must be a reason as those abilities would easily make him the strongest god of the pantheon.
Hence, I imagined a retired Xie Lian being a good candidate, kind, powerful, and knowledgeable, but also not interested in a high position as refused the throne of heaven and defeated a Heavenly Emperor along with his vast forces. Not to mention the entire gay marriage thing among immortals, probably wouldn't endear him to the current Taoist pantheon, who only had "orthodox" heterosexual relationships.
For setting and timing, based on the storyline of the Journey to the West novel, Sun Wukong would join the Buddhist Monk in the Tang Dynasty after 300 years from when he was imprisoned under the five-finger mountains by the Buddha. He rebelled against Heavenly court approximately 300 years ago, too. Sun Wukong aged normally throughout his youth up to the point of his rebellion as a human would. He gained his immortality after spending 7 years with his Taoist master, so he would have been born around the time of the chaotic Sixteen Kingdoms and Six Dynasties period after the Three Kingdoms period marked the end of the Han Dynasty.
The 7-year period of his Taoist studies is just mentioned but never highlighted, so I hazard to guess he was raised by his Taoist master as a young child.
I am playing with some new stuff for me, I'm familiar with some Chinese history and fantasy literature, but have not applied it to this extent. Ancient Chinese fantasy has seen several different series of gods rise over the dynastic periods, similar to how Greco-Roman had the Titans rule over the universe before the Olympians. It's acknowledged that the well-known Taoist pantheon wasn't the original pantheon, but most of those gods are forgotten or they died off in the epic wars, like Fengshen Bang, which was featured in other ancient Chinese literature to retcon abandoned temples.
This is more a passion project and I don't think many readers will like it, but I still want to offer something new and show a different side of my writing.
Copyright © 2020 Funimation; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2022 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Funimation <br>

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm sucker for ancient myths and legends no matter where they originate, also the Journey to the west is a great counterpoint to many other chinese legends that tends to be a bit more conservative....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, erik bagge said:

I'm sucker for ancient myths and legends no matter where they originate, also the Journey to the west is a great counterpoint to many other chinese legends that tends to be a bit more conservative....

Thanks, it is true a lot of classic Chinese mythology is a bit more conservative, but there are a few exceptions like Journey to the West

My favorite non-conservative myth though would be the Legend of the White Snake, the forbidden love and the religious bigotry that prevented the two lovers from being together are common themes in modern LGBTQ fiction. (You might see something in this story that connects with that one :) )

Like I said, I am familiar with some Chinese fantasy, along with Japanese as well.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I haven't read a lot of japanese legends but  i 've read quit a few indian vedas and others and they tend to be a bit more earthy...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, erik bagge said:

I haven't read a lot of japanese legends but  i 've read quit a few indian vedas and others and they tend to be a bit more earthy...

Indian myths are interesting, they're more aligned with transgender themes than same-sex based on my recollection, but they do have interesting epic battles. Of course, I've heard about Agni (who exists in both Hinduism as a physical god and Buddhism as an element of fire in texts) in some myths having shall we say "oral fixation" :) , I wonder what his wife thinks :o 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Hi! I am so happy for this story oh my goodness! I saw the Wuxia tag and did a double take!

So is this like a fanfiction with your own addition of Chinese myths and stuff or like a continuation of Heaven Official's Blessing? Regardless I am ecstatic to see more people write about ancient Chinese folklore on this site and will be sure to read up on this! ✧( •⌄• )✧

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Kong Wen Hui said:

Hi! I am so happy for this story oh my goodness! I saw the Wuxia tag and did a double take!

So is this like a fanfiction with your own addition of Chinese myths and stuff or like a continuation of Heaven Official's Blessing? Regardless I am ecstatic to see more people write about ancient Chinese folklore on this site and will be sure to read up on this! ✧( •⌄• )✧

 

A bit of both, I am continuing the story from TGCF/Heaven Official's Blessing and tying HuaLian (Xie Lian and Hua Cheng) story as prequel to Journey to the West, plus adding a little real Chinese history for the formation of Northern and Southern Dynasty era/Sixteen Kingdoms era.

I'm one of the few Chinese gay authors on GA with that kind of background knowledge in classical mythology and modern Wuxia/Xianxia fantasy genres, but I am hoping I can inspire others to come and open up the world to some wonderful stories and concepts.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..