Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 2,282 Words
  • 495 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Funimation <br>
If you want to discuss or ask questions about concepts, feel free to go to the story discussion topic:
 

Raising a Rebel - 8. Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Knowing neither of them could, or even would, raise a sword to Hua Cheng and Xie Lian, both odd-looking youths dropped their weapons obediently. Hua escorted them and Xie Lian, along with Wukong and the squirming white snake in his arms, away from the main retinue to be out of earshot of the mortals. Some may have heard Qianliyan’s bold announcement, but after the loss of their former capital, Chang’an, and so much in the north, madness was rampant among the refugees. Lady Liu addresses everyone with this explanation. She acknowledged her husband and General Xie Xuan will attempt to settle any dispute between these mad youths and them. Neither youth displayed their godly martial prowess or magic, so it appeared to all that two infirmed and mad youths were impeding the Xie retinue’s journey to Jiankang.

When they are far enough, Hua Cheng speaks to Xie Lian, “Gege, why is Wukong holding a white snake? Is that the reason for this invasion of our affairs?”

Xie Lian told his husband the story of their encounter with Xu Xiwang.

As he finishes, the white snake in Wukong’s arms transforms into a pale-skinned boy with white hair, then asks the former ghost king.

“My Lord Crimson Rain Sought Flower1, 血雨探花, all I desire is for you to either allow me to leave or teach me your martial ways, so I may vanquish my foes.”

Hua Cheng stares at the brazen pale-skinned youth, whose complexion was similar to his true ghost form, and noted an air of suffering about him, then shrugs and says, “No”.

Xiwang, despite being several years older than Wukong, reacted like a child being denied their sweet, “Why? Sure you have no love for Fahai and you supported my ancestors in their endeavors.”

Crossing his arms, Hua Cheng responds with an equally child-like demeanor, “I don’t want to and Gege already said no.”

Xu Xiwang is dumbfounded by this being, then points at the two awkward appearing gods, “Are you going to deliver me to them?”

Hua glanced at the two frightened immortals, who were holding each other’s hands as if expecting a strike by his scimitar that would end their existence as he had done to other Gods, who had impeded or harmed Xie Lian in the past. They had heard of the story about Hua Cheng challenging and eliminating 33 gods in one night. His prowess as a God-killer inspired legends among immortals in the central plains and the lands beyond. Only the strongest of the martial gods dared to stand up against him, but even they show deference and restraint.

Xie Lian notices the discomfort from his old friends, “You two have nothing to fear from San Lang or me, I know you didn’t know it was me in the carriage,” then he directs his words to Xiwang, “No one will take you anywhere you do not want to go. We can relocate you anywhere, including in the realms of other gods.”

Xiwang’s anger bursts, “In these times of chaos, where every god and mortal are fair game, what safety is there in hiding? What happened to the righteous god of legend, who challenged the world?”

Xie Lian sighs, “I knew of a man like you once, his name was He Xuan. He was wronged by a God, who caused the death of his entire family through misfortune. In his pursuit of revenge against that God, he harmed someone, who loved him purely. Though he succeeded in his revenge, he lived out his days with regret knowing what he did to them, who loved him, and realizing he loved them as well, but could not fix this transgression. Hua Cheng and I were tasked by him with destroying his ashes, to end his eternal suffering. Revenge is all-consuming, destroying not only your foes but also everyone around you as well.”2

Xiwang laughs, “I have no one, except myself.”

Wukong steps up to counter him, “You have our friendship. You have the care of my Sifu and Baba, many people in the world lack those things and would do anything to attain it.”

Xiwang glares at Wukong, but could not reply to this boy’s contrasting life. While he could sense that Wukong was not human, he could not see past the glamour that Xie Lian had put in place to disguise him. Xiwang was envious, but he was unwilling to admit to these feelings against Wukong or honor the younger boy’s tender care and warmth.

Hua Cheng circles back to their two godly friends, “So, why have the heavens sent you to capture this foolish child? Aren’t you two supposed to be operating as the heavenly court’s eyes and ears on the ground literally?”

Qianliyan and Shunfeng'er appear frozen in place, not sure how to answer him. While they knew Xie Lian had vouched for their safety in his presence, they heard rumors of what Hua Cheng does to Gods that displeased him outside of Xie Lian’s notice. In one such tale, death might be a mercy if the alternative is to be sold to an underworld male brothel house, where hungry female ghosts devoured a male god in an orgy of uncontrolled passion. The god was allowed to leave eventually alive, but he was so corrupted by the female ghosts that he chose to become a stone rather than return to being ridiculed by other gods.

Clasping his partner’s hand, Qianliyan speaks for them, “The heavenly court has allied with Fahai and his sect. The Jade Emperor needed to shore up our defenses as Fu Jian appears to be on the move across all the realms,” he hesitates before continuing, “We were sent here on this errand for Fahai as a punishment for a crime we committed by the Jade Emperor. We don’t want to harm the child, but he’s an enemy of heaven and now his sentence has been escalated from exile to death due to present circumstances. Beyond that, our presence and actions were a distraction that Fahai purists could not tolerate, so we were chosen by name to handle this.”

Hua Cheng mocks, “Oh how the mighty have fallen, when the Jade Emperor must bow before a Buddhist immortal. I knew Fahai didn’t like Gege and me but respected our power to stay clear of challenging us. You are mid-level gods so it was easy to remove you from his sights,” he offers a wide grin, “Plus, I know you two have been ogling the martial gods bathing, then streaming it with the communications array to the gods and goddesses in exchange for spiritual energy. We’ve enjoyed your services and Gege enjoys seeing…”

Xie Lian silences Hua Cheng, by forcibly grabbing him using the magical silk band, Ruoye, “San Lang, we have children in attendance…They do not need to know of such things.”

Xiwang was not moved or surprised by the possibility of godly pornography, Wukong was slightly interested in the appearance of both male and female gods as compared to mortals. However, both boys focused on the key revelation that these gods delivered.

Xiwang was shocked by the announcement of this alliance between Fahai and the Taoist gods, knowing he was indeed trapped. He knew the war was going badly for the mortals against Fu Jian, but an alliance like this was an acknowledgment of the depths the current dynasty would go to maintain their rule. If Fu Jian were not so tyrannical and bent on enslaving humans and demons alike, Xu Xiwang may have even joined them against his hated foe and these hypocritical gods.

Xie Lian sums up their position, “San Lang, we are in a precarious position. If they do not report Xiwang’s location, then they will likely be banished by the Jade Emperor out of respect for his new allies and continue to hunt Xiwang. If they report back and inform them that Xiwang is under our protection or we are found with Xiwang, then Fahai will demand punishment for us, plunging the heavenly realm and our allies across the various realms and pantheons into conflict. Fu Jian will use this conflict to finalize his conquests in the mortal realm. “

Hua Cheng offers a third option, “We could allow the boy to leave and be eliminated by some other Taoist or Buddhist immortal. That’s what he wanted.”

Xiwang shakes his head, “No, I don’t think I want that anymore.’

Hua Cheng repeats his words in Xiwang’s voice, “all I desire is for you to either allow me to leave or teach me your martial ways,” Hua Cheng smiles coldly, “You only gave me two choices, Gege already said no to teaching you, so letting you leave would be proper.”

Xiwang is frustrated, “I didn’t know about the alliance before, so I would have different desires.”

Hua Cheng points to Xiwang, “Well maybe if you weren’t so stuck on being an avenger, you would realize that needs do change over time.”

Wukong smiles at his Baba verbal wordplay, taking notes at the masterful skill he had with wit and snark. One day he imagined himself using similar words against foes and allies alike, impressing them with his innate skill and ability to bring a critical point across. He knew Xiwang would now willingly agree to follow them to Jiankang, but it leaves the initial issue of the two gods. A fourth option would be needed, like the four directions of a compass, there’s always the fourth way.

Wukong comes to the idea, “Can you not report that you are staying in Jiankang looking for an opportunity to strike down Xiwang? You can report slow progress toward the designated goal, mollifying the Jade Emperor and Fahai, while preserving the peace. With the recent alliance and the ongoing conflict, all sides will be too busy to divide resources to pursue Xiwang here.”

Xie Lian and Hua Cheng were impressed that Wukong had learned to use the concept of Jin Dao Ruo Tui 进退有常3, an illusion can obscure reality. A simple concept that few who have read the Tao Te Ching understood reflects both a philosophical and tactical approach to life. While it is not a lie, per se, since Xie Lian knew without his or Hua Cheng’s presence Qianliyan and Shunfeng’er would attempt to fulfill their mission, even if they don’t like the idea of killing an innocent child. Xie knew this was a critical issue with the current politics of the heavenly court, too much compromise with ethics.

Qianliyan stares at Wukong, “You have a glamour on you, I sense something inhuman about you. However, you’re not a demon. There’s something celestial, like the sage…” he whips his head to Xie Lian, “Another one, he’s one of Nuwa’s children.”

Xiwang stepped back several steps back from Wukong and dropped his usual antagonistic stance toward the younger boy. He knew what the stone apes were and he knew what Wukong could do. The two gods were stunned into silence as they contemplated their knowledge of these creatures. Only three stone primates were known to have reached a point of notoriety or infamy, the other lesser-known stones apes were usually sealed away. One of the apes, the Long-Armed Monkey, had destroyed an entire city of millions for lacking fresh fruit offerings. The fact that Xie Lian and Hua Cheng had adopted this stone ape was dangerous.

Shunfeng’er, despite his usual quiet nature, speaks in awe, “My lords, why did you not seal away this child as most other gods, Taoists, demons, and even Fahai’s Buddhists would do? He has begun to awaken his innate abilities. Are you planning to strike a blow against the Heavens and Fu Jian? The countless stories I have heard about his siblings are horrifying, to say the least. If you have tamed and trained him…”

Xie Lian cuts him off, “I treat him as my student and a child to mentor to reach his personal goals, not my own. If I wanted power, I would have taken it. I had countless times over the eons that it was offered to me, so why would I choose to pursue it this way.”

A moment of silence is held, while everyone absorbed the information. Wukong had not realized his strength or importance, having suffered at the hands of a master who starved and kept him chained for years. He knew he was growing stronger in the presence of his Sifu and Baba, which he assumed had something to do with the concept of “spiritual energy”. He had heard that term speak in passing. However, not once has his Sifu or Baba asked him to do anything he did not desire, except when it came to his appearance, which he understood was for his safety. Knowing the deeds that the gods and other immortals would do against him, he grew even more grateful to have been saved by Xie Lian and Hua Cheng.

Hua Cheng pushes to end the conversation, “Wukong is ours and no one will seal him away or force him to do anything he does not desire. If Fahai’s “human first” mentality pushes him to come after us in the end, I’ll kill him myself and burn any monasteries that have his followers to the ground.”

It was one of the few times outside of Xie Lian that Hua Cheng had ever exhibited such emotional depth with a declaration. He knew the child had grown on him over the weeks of their cohabitation. A strong bond was forming between the three of them that would likely last forever if none of them should perish in the coming conflicts.

1. Crimson Rain Sought Flower- It's Hua Cheng nickname in the Heaven Official's Blessing novels, known by the gods.
The story goes that after vanquishing a powerful ghost, Hua Cheng cause a rain of blood that soaked the land, but protected one flower.
2. This is an abridged description of He Xuan story in the novels, it's pretty tragic and dark. Reminds folks why all consuming revenge is dangerous without someone to anchor you. On the flip side, Hua Cheng does take vengeance on those who wronged Xie Lian in the novels, but he does have Xie Lian who holds him from going too far (Murdering wrongdoers is justifiable, if a bit extreme, but harming the innocent to achieve your goal was something Hua wouldn't do).
3. Jin Dao Ruo Tui 进退有常- Literally means "Progress in Dao, you recoil back" Chapter 14 of Tao Te Ching
It's a concept within Daoism that sometimes progress appears as an illusion of falling backward. In order to achieve something, sometimes you must present a false appearance. It's an interesting concept, which technically is not a lie per se, but it is a selective perception of the truth.
Copyright © 2020 Funimation; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2022 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Funimation <br>

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Xiwang changes what he wants to do now that he has more information about the gods and what they want.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, VBlew said:

Xiwang changes what he wants to do now that he has more information about the gods and what they want.

He's a lone avenger, who has been maligned throughout his life, living far from the territory of the gods. Since he already has a death sentence, there's no reason to avoid human territory now.

If you ever read Heaven Official's Blessing novels, He Xuan and Black Water arc is very interesting, concerning the nature of revenge and obsession with those who were wronged unjustly and how far they go to achieve it. Unlike western tales where moral high grounds exists, sometimes the absolute truth is there is no moral high ground, just relative balance.

In a way, Xiwang represents a lot of different people and groups, who just automatically gain a stigma due to prejudice. He's so focused on revenge that he cannot recognize the dangers or support that he has around him. Hua Cheng might be direct and rude at times, but he's offering the kid some good advice about not boxing himself in.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..