Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 3,510 Words
  • 245 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Funimation <br>
If you want to discuss or ask questions about concepts, feel free to go to the story discussion topic:
 

Raising a Rebel - 11. Chapter 11

Hope folks enjoy this and I will post one more chapter before pausing on this story to give everyone time to read and consider if I should push on. Some of the subject matter is very deep and I am basically introducing an entire subgenre to GA readers.

The next day was full of activity as the Xie household began their preparation for Xie An, the prime minister, and their illustrious head, to head into court for official business. Xie Lian was accustomed to courtly practice as both the Crown Prince and later as the Guoshi 国1 of Yong’An when he was known as Fang Xin. Xie Lian had participated in courtly rituals from the proper grooming techniques that involve certain lengths of hair, beards, and even fingernails to the colors of robes between imperial family members versus officials.

Things have evolved in the imperial court over the centuries before Xie Lian’s eye, things such as the hu , a flat wooden scepter, used for taking notes were replaced by paper during the later years of the Han Dynasty. The hu was still held ceremonially by ministers, the prime minister held the most ornate hu with a jade handle and a tiger head. Xie Lian knew that most ministers would probably not know how to notate on these ancient devices as the art of short-hand transcription has been lost due to the convenience of the paper and ink supply.

Some things though have not changed since Xie Lian was a crown prince, such as the use of intermediaries for royal audiences and the separation between martial officials and civil officials at court. Xie Lian knew that he and Hua Cheng would traditionally travel in the palace through separate paths, one designated for military leaders and another for civil ministers to reach the audience chamber. However, Hua Cheng pointed out that as he did not have an official rank in the Jin military conferred by the emperor yet, instead he was appointed a rank by Xie Lian, who, as Xie An, acted on behalf of the emperor. Thus, Hua Cheng as Xie Xuan would technically be a civil minister’s adjunct, not a true general, and he would not be bound by tradition. Xie Lian had always enjoyed his husband’s keen analytical mind when it came to situations that require nuance, especially since he does not want to be portrayed as another Huan Wen, who also achieved his family’s high status and power after a military victory. Huan Wen reconquered Sichuan provinces for the Jin court, but upon returning to the capital, deposed Emperor Fei, under the pretext of his numerous homosexual affairs to disqualify rulership, and placed his old feeble uncle, Emperor Jianwen on the throne as a puppet until both he and Huan died.2 If the current emperor or his family in court thought that Xie Lian was a danger, then he could be executed or assassinated. From General Han Xin to Cao Cao, men of talent could only serve an empire until their triumphs exceeded the court’s jealousy or their ambitions.3

As such, even in triumph, small things like the wrong outfit could be disastrous at court, ranging from demotion or even death if your actions appear to be treasonous in the eyes of the emperor. That is why most government ministers had a collection of court spies through handmaidens and eunuch servants. However, Xie An did not have the chance to establish such a network before his assassination, leaving Xie Lian as his stand-in to rely on his own experience and his husband’s various tools and gifts. While their magic may be a powerful tool, it cannot know what is in the hearts and minds of mortals, at least it cannot without dire consequences.

The palace at the center of the capital had three primary gates. The eastern gate is reserved for Imperial family members or personal attendants exclusively. The southern gate was for lesser nobles, officials, and maids, which faces the market. A hawker’s proximity to the southern gate of the palace was a sign of their status and wealth. The northern gate is reserved for high officials like the prime minister or zaixiang 宰相 and three ducal ministers or chancellors 三公: Minister of War or Da Sima 大司馬, Minister of Masses or Situ 司徒, and Minister of Works or Sikong 司空.4 The Wang family has had one of these positions, since the time of Wang Dao, who became prime minister during the capital transfer to Jiankang after the fall of Chang’an. The current Wang Dao, who serves as Minister of Works is a direct descendant. In contrast, the Huan family held the position of Minister of War for several decades after Huan Wen defeated the Xianbei-led Yan empire and retook the Sichuan province, which provided a stable food supply for Jin. The Xie family in recent times has held the position of Minister of Masses, which controls the legal and structural organization of the Jin kingdom. The western gate is rarely ever opened or used unless there was a special ritual or state funeral for imperial family members.

While Xie Lian was expected to enter through the northern gate as the new Prime Minister, he instead chose to enter through the southern gate. It would allow him to mingle with lower officials, get a sense of the current emotions among the commoners at the market, and appear humbler to enter as a common official. Wukong and Hua Cheng accompanied him, while Xiwang stayed behind in the Xie manor, cultivating spiritual energy and hiding his presence.

Wukong was amazed to see the vibrant marketplace of the Jin capital, which contrasted with the harsh markets of Di-dominated slave markets of Chang’an. Fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, various baos, street foods, jewelry, silks, wool, furs, furniture, and performers lined every inch of the large market courtyard. Amongst the crowd, Wukong could see the strange pale-skinned Antonius speaking in his odd-sounding Han language with foreign words sprinkled, the most pronounced being the word, “Christi” and “Salvatio.” Very few people paid him much attention despite how spirited his sermons were since unlike the Roman squares or Greek acropolis from which Antonius was trained, the people of Jin treated grand speeches and sermons with little interest outside of state functions or a military parade. Wukong learned from his Sifu about this man’s God, who although incredibly powerful, was willing to sacrifice himself for others. The young monkey can see the merits of the courage and devotion in Antonius’ beliefs, but he also understood how illogical it makes the man, who without understanding local customs or attitudes attempts to push ahead. Blind faith will make such men instruments of another’s influence and power.

Without armed guards or retinue behind them, the three appeared to be low-ranking officials, like anyone else crossing the market to enter the southern gate. However, before entering, Wukong noticed a group of people dressed completely in white. Some were old and feeble; some were younger than Wukong. They were tied down with bamboo ropes. Several cried out, “Mercy!”

Wukong asks his Sifu, “Fu qin, why are they bound and crying for mercy on the ground?”

Xie Lian takes notice of these condemned people, sighing, “These people are condemned prisoners, who violated the laws of the kingdom. The penalty is death for their crime,” seeing the elders and children among the group, “It’s likely an offense against the emperor, who has deemed a household execution would need to occur. I will put a stop to the execution and ask for clemency from the emperor for their crime.”

The three of them approach the seated official at the Dais, Xie Lian politely asks the official, “Good day, may I inquire as to what wrongs have these people done to warrant a household execution?”

Eying them warily and making a hand motion for guards, the official snorts a reply, “Treason, they are of the Huan family. Their army was defeated by our illustrious prime minister, Xie An, and his nephew, Xie Xuan. The Empress regent has ordered their execution as an example of what happens to traitors. Why do you ask?”

Xie Lian, understanding the situation, attempts to countermand the order by loudly proclaiming, “I am Xie An, Prime Minister of Jin, I will speak to the emperor about offering clemency to the Huan clan here in Jiankang. Please pause the execution.”

The official stares at him doubtful of his rank, “You do not appear to be the Prime Minister. He would not denigrate himself by entering through the southern gate. Falsely claiming to be the Prime Minister is punishable by fifty lashes or one hundred gold pieces for each of you. Will you pay, so I might forget your faces? Otherwise, I will have to report you. You may even join the Huan family over there.”

Hua Cheng laughs at the gall of the office asking for a kickback, “You seriously want us to pay you for something we have a right to ask for?”

The soldiers guarding the execution area surround the three, Xie Lian attempts to alleviate doubts by presenting his seal of office, “I have my seal of office, surely this is proof of my rank.”

The official still doubted this man and noticed that only one of them carried a weapon thinks his five men could easily subdue them, so he announced to the gathering crowd, “You have made false claims and presented a false seal of office, you shall be apprehended and executed alongside the Huan as conspirators.”

In seconds, the guards descend upon the three, but Hua Cheng easily dispatches all of them with his scimitar, E Ming. The first guard attempted to flank him, but he rushed forward and struck him. Then all four remaining guards attempt to charge at him simultaneously, but they were easily defeated with a combination of kicks, punches, and slashes. He did not deliver any fatal wounds, but even a small cut by his sword can cause lingering pain, enough to render them unconscious. Wukong was amazed at his Baba’s skill with a sword and knew that he promised to train him in weapons.

The cowering official screams, “Imperial Guards please come to subdue them!”

As they were near one of the gates of the palace, three highly trained imperial guardsmen came to the call, but before they joined battle, Wang Tsai, leaving the palace after a visit with his uncle Wang Dao and Wang Tanzhi, screams, “Stop, he is the prime minister and that is General Xie Xuan.”

Upon seeing a scion of the rival Wang family identify Xie Lian and Hua Cheng, the imperial guardsmen turned their attention to the official, “What reason have to assault the prime minister and general Xie?”

Knowing he has erred horribly and likely had earned his death sentence for striking at the prime minister, the official makes several bows on the ground in supplication.

“Please your lordship, have mercy on me. I was just following the orders of the Empress Regent, we have not seen you in some time and did not recognize your visage. I will resign my office if you permit me to live.”

Hua Cheng menacingly points with his scimitar, “I bet you have done this to more than just us, how many bribes have you taken in your career? How many innocent people have you falsely accused?”

With fear coursing through the official, he faints upon the sight of Hua Cheng waving his scimitar across the air between them. Xie Lian orders one of the guardsmen to keep an eye on the condemned prisoners and tells the executioner to hold off until he hears from him directly. With both his identity verified and Hua Cheng’s swordsmanship on display, the crowd knew that the kingdom was in good hands with this prime minister and his powerful general.

Upon entering the palace, numerous maids and eunuchs were rushing to greet them from the northern gate. Many were sweating as they had anticipated greeting them with gifts, wines, and sweets at the northern entrance. Thus, only a handful of these individuals made it. Instead, the lower-ranking officials and servants of the court were praising Xie Lian and Hua Cheng for their gallantry. Several took the opportunity to offer ideas such as public housing and irrigation projects for Jiankang to their prime minister, who was grateful to find like-minded people among the officials, taking their names down for future appointments and promotions.

As they entered the main audience chamber, Empress Dowager Chu, acting as regent, held court instead of Emperor Xiaowu, who was merely twelve years old. Xie Lian and Hua Cheng made the proper court gestures and greetings to the Empress Dowager, she in turn made the proper greetings towards them.

After the conclusion of the necessary niceties, Xie Lian asks, “Empress regent, I implore you to rescind your execution order of the Huan family here in Jiankang. Surely, not all of them were traitors, especially the very old and young among them.”

Empress Chu was an aging aristocrat, who had been regent for four emperors since her husband passed away. She sat on the throne for her grand-nephew. She had taken the advice of various advisers including members of the Wang family to have the Huan clan executed for their attempted act of treason. However, she was not a bloodthirsty woman by nature, but in her advanced age, she feared for the longevity of the Sima imperial clan.

She asks Xie Lian, whom she knew as Xie An, “My old friend, you know I am not a violent person, but as the old saying goes, 斩草除根 zhǎn cǎo chú gēn5. On this point, Wang Tanzhi persuaded me and the emperor to act without mercy. If we do not eliminate this threat today, we risk the Huan clan’s resurgence in my nephew’s reign. Thus, it is my nephew, not I, whom you must persuade in showing mercy to the Huan family. Can you assuage his fear as he will be the one who would have to deal with another coup, long after I am buried with my bones turned to dust?”

Thus, the three went about seeking the young emperor, but he would not allow them an audience, according to his Eunuch, a balding man with a pointed nose. The only way to enter the emperor’s private chambers was with a key, held by the Eunuch. While Hua Cheng or Xie Lian, could blast the door open or even create a hole in the wall, it would be an unseemly act. The Eunuch did not care about their reasons to see the emperor, but his lascivious eyes focus on Wukong as Xie Lian made his pleas. The monkey youth did not miss the look of lust from the eunuch, nor did Hua Cheng. While most mortals would not be able to sense the subtle hints of attraction or sexual interest, both Wukong and Hua Cheng had either experience or enhanced senses that allowed them to tell the goal of this man’s thoughts.

The Eunuch offers, “You have a child in your presence, Prime Minister, why don’t I take him to get some food and maybe dress him in something more fitting.”

Hua Cheng wanted to cut the Eunuch through with E Ming for making such an overt request of someone he cherishes. However, surprisingly, Wukong goes up to the Eunuch and pretends not to know his motives.

“Yes, I could use a bath as well, would you like to help me…”

Winking at Hua Cheng and Xie Lian as they departed, Xie Lian was unsure about what Wukong was doing, so went over to his husband.

Xie Lian asks, “San Lang, why is he going with that Eunuch to take a bath?”

Hua Cheng laughs at his husband’s ignorance, “Gege, he is just playing with that old perverted shell of a man. Do not worry, Wukong may appear to be a child, but he currently has the strength of several men, more than enough to deal with him.”

Shaking his head at this turn, Xie Lian questions Hua Cheng, “What if Wukong is tricked or intoxicated? He’s just a child after all, how can you act so uninterested in his welfare?”

Hua Cheng smirks, “Who said I am not keeping an eye on him. My senses are keen on his movements and my silver butterflies are reporting his progress. Xiao Sun is giving quite a performance…” he pauses seeing Wukong had used his innate gift with the earth element to cause the eunuch to trip and fall into a pond,” That was a good trick, Wukong just caused the guy to fall into a nearby pond. I bet he will use the excuse to pilfer the keys from that bastard.”

Xie Lian chuckles, “You are a horrible parent, did you teach him how to pickpockets?”

Hua Cheng nods without saying another word as he expectantly waited for his star pupil to return with the prize. Wukong came back within minutes, smirking triumphantly as he handed the key to Hua Cheng, who quickly ruffles his fur in affection. Wukong was picking up some of Hua Cheng’s unsavory characteristics, but Xie Lian did not mind as these traits were endearing qualities that he loved about his husband.

Upon entering the imperial bed chambers, they heard screams and groans coming from one of the bed chambers. Wukong, having just completed one successful task, was enthused to rush headlong into the bed-chamber, but he was held back by his guardians. Xie Lian and Hua Cheng knew the sounds were those of passion and lust, along with the fact that the moans sounded like they came from two distinct young male voices. Thoughts of an imperial affair with a male favorite were fresh in their minds as they had met the Lord of Longyuan among others like them over the centuries, who shared their interest in male companionship. As recent as Emperor Fei, there have been well-documented affairs with male favorites. However, unlike Xie Lian and Hua Cheng, none of these male lovers became partners with the emperor. Few in their experience understood how to form relationships with males beyond the sexual appetite that comes naturally to them as lust is simple, while love is eternal.

Xie Lian wanted to say that they should leave, but Wukong blurts out loudly, “Are you fine in there? Do you want some help?”

Shuffling and voices erupt within the bed chamber, “Who is out there? What business do you have with Emperor Xiaowu?”

Xie Lian understands there is no way to avoid an incident, so he approaches the door and greets, “Your majesty, I am your humble prime minister, Xie An. I am here with my nephew, Xie Xuan, and my son, Xie Yan. We are all allies and will not reveal anything that has occurred today. I am here to entreat you to show mercy to the Huan clan members, who are scheduled for execution in the marketplace today.”

The child emperor in a disheveled robe came out of his bed-chamber. Despite being only twelve, he held himself impetuously and haughtily, while a smaller boy in similar disheveled robes joins him on the side. Both appear flushed from what was likely sexual exploration at their age.

Wukong, without knowing the issues that his questions were raising, asks, “Are one of you the emperor?”

Appraising the young boy, the emperor grins without a trace of fear, “I am the emperor and you have just disturbed some very important business between me and my brother, the Prince of Langye.”

Xie Lian and Hua Cheng were impressed with the bravado of this young emperor, who not only confronted them and implicitly admit to having an incestuous sexual encounter with his younger brother, who is eleven to his own age twelve. The younger princeling tried to emulate his older brother’s stance. In any other circumstance, the situation may be comical.

Xie Lian makes his argument, “Your majesties, innocent lives will be lost and the remaining Huan family outside the reach of our forces will be embittered by this act. While chancellor Wang’s desires may come from a genuinely good standpoint, it was shortsighted. We cannot fight both the forces of the Qin empire in the north and our civil war here in the south. Please show leniency to preserve the dynasty and the legacy of the Han.”

Hearing Xie Lian’s impassioned words, emperor Xiaowu softens and sighs, “Very well, you are correct, Xie An. I did not think about the longer-term aspects of a civil war. Prepare the documents, I shall show the Huan family shemian 赦免6 and offer all those who will swear loyalty to the imperial clan retention of their former offices,” he eyes Hua Cheng and Wukong, “I also think it is time your family receives offices befitting your position as prime minister. Military titles and lordship shall be awarded for your victory in the name of the Jin kingdom.”

After several hours of courtly business, along with endless paperwork and organization, Xie Lian had secured freedom for the Huan clan and promotion for Hua Cheng, as Xie Xuan, to the rank of general. Even Wukong gained a small title and potential military commission in the future. Hopefully, these were signs of good fortune.

1. Guoshi 师- Imperial Preceptor or directly translated as "National Teacher"/"Teacher of the Emperor"
This title was given to Xie Lian in the novel series during his 2nd banishment from heaven. Interesting historical note, it's an anachronism by the author of Tian Guan Ci Fu/Heaven Official's Blessing as the actual title did not come into play until Yuan Dynasty as a creation of Kublai Khan. However, fantasy fiction Chinese writers starting from the Ming Dynasty and Qing began to use the term to represent various characters in history, including the infamous Peng of Song Dynasty, who served as Bao Zheng rival in Chinese opera plays well into the mid-20th century.
2. That's a true account, Huan Wen used the pretext of Emperor Fei being gay as a way to disqualify him from the throne, claiming that all the children that he supposedly spawned were created by his male lovers.
It's a tragedy and one of the first major public cases of homophobia in ancient Chinese history, causing the deposal of a sitting emperor for no major error except that he just enjoys sex with guys. Emperor Fei had female lovers as well, but it's likely he had one or two male lovers, with whom he may prefer the bottom position.
3. Han Xin was executed by Han Empress Lu after serving the empire far too well, causing bitter jealousy within the court.
Cao Cao having gained power and an army independent of imperial authority would through his various acts become Emperor in everything, except title. His son would kill the last Han emperor and assume the throne for himself as his sister had married the emperor.
4. zaixiang 宰相= Prime Minister
Three ducal ministers or chancellors 三公- These are the highest appointed positions in Imperial China under the Prime Minister
Minister of War or Da Sima 大司馬,- Military Commander of all forces
Minister of Masses or Situ 司徒,- Legal and organization leader in charge of laws and officials
Minister of Works or Sikong 司空- Administrative leader in charge of granaries, roads, mines, and trade
5. 斩草除根 zhǎn cǎo chú gēn- Literally meaning "To cut weeds and eliminate the roots"
It's an ancient idiom in Chinese history that I believe George R. R. Martin may have taken inspiration for his own phrase "To tear out Root and Stem" with his Game of Thrones series. The concept is the same, in order to gain total victory over an opponent, they must be utterly annihilated and all remnants of them must be extinguished.
6. shemian 赦免- meaning, amnesty
This type of clemency can only be obtained by an Emperor's orders.
Copyright © 2020 Funimation; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2022 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Funimation <br>

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another interesting chapter.  I vote that you continue this work after you take the pause on it.  It is a very different type of story to the others here on GA, and as historical fiction is very interesting.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I would also vote for you to continue if possible , It’s a Very interesting story with many Subjects / Sub -plots going on in my point of view . Thank You still for all your stories you share with us here @ Gay Authors Site 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..