Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 2,459 Words
  • 257 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Funimation <br>
If you want to discuss or ask questions about concepts, feel free to go to the story discussion topic:
 

Raising a Rebel - 7. Chapter 7

Tell me if 5PM is better for publishing than 9AM, not sure what readers prefer

Chapter 7

Fear is a tangible thing, Xie Lian has encountered this spirit many times in his journeys across the world with Hua Cheng. It is not a spirit like the Reverend of Venerable Words, who haunts its prey with self-fulfilling prophecies, but something innate within each human being. Xie Lian knew he had nothing to fear from these mortals as they could not harm him, but he feared for the two youths in his charge. In theory, Wukong should not be harmed easily by mortal weapons, because he had absorbed some of his spiritual energy indirectly. Still, his strength would not be enough to defeat numerous foes armed with blades. Xu Xiwang is still too weak to do more than transform between his snake and human forms, so a simple flame could kill him.

Xie Lian had to think fast. First, he instructed Xiwang to transform into a smaller version of the original white snake form. This illusion will help distort the original perception of a dangerous human-sized serpent that was originally seen on the road, causing some of the rebellious retinue to rethink their positions. Human minds tend to embellish their fears, but if you present them with something far inferior to what they had seen initially, it will reduce their anxiety. Second, he asked Wukong to change his clothing to a simple white tunic rather than the golden yellow he favors. Xie Lian would also change his clothing to match Wukong. White is the color of purity and innocence after all.

Xie Lian under his disguise as Xie An and Wukong as Xie Yan holding a small white snake, who squirms with dislike at the gentle caresses this boy offers him, leave their tent. The chamberlain and many of the Xie clan attendant eyes them with suspicion, but several appear to scratch their heads at the sight of the smaller white snake.

Xie Lian in a polite and calm tone asks, “Good evening, I hear there has been much dislike of my recent decisions. I would wish to parley to resolve this issue unless you wish to betray my family and wish to present my head to the Huan family.”

The chamberlain steps forward and points a wooden bamboo stick at Xie Lian, reciting some Taoist mantra to ward off evil spirits, then speaks, “My Lord, your behavior has changed significantly. First with your unnatural lust for your nephew, now your attention to protect a white serpent demon, whom the Gods have declared to be the enemy of Heaven. We believed you to be bewitched by some foul demon and entreat you to go through an exorcism.”

Xie Lian, being a god, had no fear of exorcism or rituals meant for demons and malicious spirits, agrees readily, “I shall accept this and upon completion of these tests, I will ask that you swear before Heaven and Earth with your life and your clan’s lives that you renew your vows to me.”

The pledge would be a strong one, linking the chamberlain, his clan, and all the others present to serve and protect the Xie clan. Hesitation grew among the crowd including the Chamberlain, Xie Lian understood the meaning. The claim of possession and bewitching was merely a pretense. Some of his followers were likely allied with the Huan family and some may have even helped kill the real Xie An and Xie Xuan, including the Chamberlain, who would have been the perfect spy within their ranks.

Thinking there was no way for Xie Lian as Xie An, a mere mortal, to survive their assassination, the chamberlain accepted the bargain. For the next hours of the night, Xie Lian was subjected to painful stabs by “holy” swords at important arteries for mortal wounds, since demons and ghosts did not bleed red blood. Yet, gods being human by nature did bleed, and Xie Lian had endured far worse at the hand of his former followers at his own Temple. However, being immortal meant that these wounds could not kill him as his body healed fast.

Next, they tried to drown him in the Yangtze River. Demons do not need to breathe and spirits did not like water. If he reacted to the water negatively or, after being submerged for a time, he surfaced without any apparent reaction, then it would be proof of unnatural possession. While water nor drowning can harm him, the lack of air would cause Xie Lian to lose consciousness temporarily. After hours of drowning, Xie Lian was unconscious and most of the attendants believed he was dead. Some began planning on taking his head to the Huan family. However, Xie Lian instructed Wukong to strike his chest and back repeatedly, to apply the necessary pressure to eject the water from his body. Xie Lian had seen similar techniques used in Persia during his journey west.1

After the failed attempt at drowning, the Chamberlain and his cohorts became nervous at the prospect of promising their eternal loyalty and devotion to the Xie Clan. To them, the Huan family’s army of 100,000 men was already in the capital of Jiankang and they did not want to share their lord’s likely fate of execution as traitors to the new regime. The history of what happened to the opposition and their families was very clear, they would suffer the fate of “Nine Familial Extermination” 诛连九族2, meaning none of their lines would survive. For clans that could trace their bloodlines back to the time of the Yellow Emperor, it represented the end of all their hopes and dreams.

Only one possibility was left to the conspirators, who plotted to kill Xie An, poison. Arsenic would be the easiest and most reliable means at their disposal to kill Xie An without fail. The Chamberlain prepared the wine beverage filled with this poison, then he and his cohorts began their last ploy.

“My Lord, you have passed almost all the tests that prove your innocence and purity in the eyes of heaven. There is but one more test,” the Chamberlain presented the poisoned wine,” Will you drink this cup of holy wine, which we had reserved for the emperor as a gift to his majesty?”

Xie Lian takes the wine, but before he drinks it, he offers the cup to the Chamberlain “My dear Chamberlain, this wine is a mighty reward to be wasted on me. For all your good work tonight and times before, I would like to award you the first drink.”

The Chamberlain in panic argues, “No, my Lord, I am too humble and low in standing to partake in such a rich holy treasure. Only someone blessed by the gods like you should.”

Xie Lian smirks, “I believe in humility, as the words of the ancients, bugan wei tianxia xian 不敢爲天下先3, one should be humble before the heavens. As such, it is with humility that someone such as yourself and the others, who have served my clan well, should partake in this treasure. While someone like me should be the last to partake since I have performed few deeds of note for my clan.”

Those who were not part of their conspiracy among the attendants nodded at the words of their lord, who despite his behavior change still retained the stoic sense of duty and honor that they had come to expect. Many were wary after the attempt at drowning their lord for hours and feared his death earlier, they felt relieved at his survival as a result.

Knowing he had likely lost his influence among the attendants and could not refuse the wine without his death, his final gambit had likely failed. The Chamberlain takes out a dagger with a silver hilt, preparing to cut Xie Lian’s throat due to their closeness. However, before the Chamberlain could make his move, Ruoye, Xie Lian’s trusted silk cloth weapon, trips the chamberlain, which in turn causes some of the wine to spill onto his dagger. As arsenic changes the color from silver to black upon contact, the hilt of his dagger became black as coal for everyone to see.

Upon seeing the dagger’s hilt turn black with the wine and the presence of the dagger itself, the attendants apprehended the Chamberlain, who had fallen on the ground along with those who were the most supportive of the deadly tests to exorcise their lord.

Xie Lian, appearing aghast at the sight of betrayal, demands answers, “What is this? Have my family not treated you well? Have I not been a kind and generous lord?”

The chamberlain laments, “I see the heavens have favored you over me. Make it quick my lord and end my life, so it will spare my familial line the harsher punishment that awaits us at the Capital, where the Huan army awaits.”

Xie Lian lifts the fallen man from the floor, “I do not wish to kill you, I am not like the Huan. I am merciful and generous, whereas they are cruel and corrupt. General Xie will defeat their army and it will be his army that meets us at Jiankang. You must have faith in that,” Xie Lian looks around at those who would have wished him dead a moment ago, “I entreat you all to follow me and believe in my goals to preserve the kingdom and Xie clan in peace. However, I shall not force you to remain with me if you fear punishment.”

The chamberlain gawks at this man, who would offer him life, but without fulfilling his mission, he was just as doomed. The Huan family would assume he was spared out of cowardice and inability, blacklisting him and his clan from service among their allies. Even if the Xie clan miraculously won, he would likely not hold the esteem of his lord as he once did after all the action that he undertook to take his life tonight. Many in his clan would consider him a pariah and traitor, either due to continued loyalty to the Xie clan or supplication to the victor.

Eying the poison chalice of wine left upon a wooden plank, he dives for it and drinks its content.

With his last words, the Chamberlain offers, “My lord, you are magnanimous and honorable, but I cannot live in disgrace. If your faith in General Xie should be false, my clan will perish alongside you. If your faith in him holds, I will never again be trusted in confidence to serve you and my clan will shun me for the deeds I have done tonight. Only death can cleanse my sins. I wish you and your clan success for you would be a better lord with the favor of heaven than any during these chaotic times.”

After that night, two dozen attendants left their retinue during the following day. Xie Lian expected as much but hoped that they would have followed him. Later that evening, Hua Cheng used spiritual communication to send him a message of an impressive victory and his vanguard had already delivered the first wagons of loot to the capital. As Xie Lian had instructed, the rice and grain would be passed out to the commoners, the military gear would be stored in the national armory, and the remaining treasures would be gifted to the kingdom. He knew his retinue would be welcomed with excitement and praise upon entry into the city, thwarting any further attempts by Huan assassins for now.

Once they were within a day’s journey to Jiankang, the news of their military victory had reached the Xie clan’s remaining retinue. There was no doubt in their minds that Xie An would be named Prime Minister after this success, while many attendants sought positions among the Prime Minister’s household or possibly appointment to state offices for relatives. Xie Lian rebuffs gifts and platitudes, so these attendants attempted to ingratiate themselves with Wukong. Wukong being naïve to politics and favors had very little interest in their words or gifts of silks and jewels. Only the cook, who had figured out that Wukong had a love of fresh fruits had any luck at gaining a favorable impression, but even so, there were only so many fruit-based foods he could offer the youth. In the end, it was Lady Liu, who played the role in settling gifts and favors, being the matriarch of the clan. All the attendants went to her for requests of appointments and she decided based on their ability.

On the last day of their journey, on the outskirts of Jiankang, a pair of oddly dressed young men confronted the retinue. One appeared to be wearing thick spectacles, while the other appears to have a Shiyi 释义4. Despite their odd appearance, they had swords on their belts and appeared quite formidable.

They walked up to the carriage where Xie Lian, Wukong, Lady Liu, and the white snake, Xu Xiwang, were seated. None of the attendants could stop them as they appear to have inhuman strength.

The one with the thick spectacles speaks, “Lord Xie An, I am Qianliyan 离娄5, a lieutenant of Li Tianwang6 from the heavenly court. We were ordered to apprehend someone within your carriage.”

While Xu Xiwang shakes with fear and Wukong appears nervous at meeting adversarial gods, Xie Lian merely smiles as he knew this god and his partner.

Xie Lian speaks softly so only the other, Shunfeng'er 顺风7 could hear, “Hello old friend, it is me, Xie Lian. I have taken the guise of my descendant Xie An. Inform your partner that I am in the carriage and allow us passage to Jiankang.”

The god of hearing alerted his partner upon hearing that their friend was in the carriage, raising the god of sight’s brows as he contemplated his next move. He and his partner owed Xie Lian an extreme debt of gratitude since they were saved from execution as spies working for King Zhou of Shang during the Fengshen Bang civil war between the gods. They got their positions in the current dynasty through his introduction to Li Tianwang as well. Yet, they were under orders from the Jade Emperor, who had made a pact with Fahai’s sect of Buddhist-Taoist adherents. They could not disobey such orders from the very height of heaven, but the creature appears to be under Xie Lian’s direct protection.

Before a decision could be made, a familiar dark-energy scimitar appeared inches away from the spectacle god of sight.

Hua Cheng snarls at these two foolish gods that would block his beloved’s path, “I think you have better things to do than to block my husband, especially after everything we did for you. Drop your weapons and inform us what madness has the heavenly court fallen into.”

 

1. The earliest example of resuscitation techniques was recorded in Persia in the 15th century CE, but the medical records indicates that this was something that earlier physicians had practiced.
2. “Nine Familial Extermination” 诛连九族- This was a punishment started during the Shang Dynasty (the same one that saw the Fengshen Bang rebellion against it in myth due to their harsh treatment). It involves the extermination of all familial clans tied with the offending individual. In essence, it was a form of genocide in ancient China. It has been used for centuries with moderation occurring in the Han and Tang dynasties but reinforced in the later Ming and Qing Dynasties. 
This concept is very dark and not something a lot of western historians or modern Chinese historians discuss.
3. bugan wei tianxia xian 不敢爲天下先- This is a famous Taoist expression and considered one of the three treasures of Taoist philosophy, based on humility. literally translated as "Dare not be first in the world"
It's a philosophy of restraint and understanding to hold back, when necessary.
4. Shiyi 释义- Ear Trumpet, which is an early form of hearing aid. Perfect accompaniment for the God of Hearing
5. Qianliyan 离娄- Literally translated as thousand li eyes, he's the god of sight in ancient Taoist and folklore religion in China. He is partnered with the God of hearing, usually they are inseparable (Yes, I am going there :o I mean honestly canonically they're an unofficial gay couple). He was once a soldier of the Shang Dynasty and served as a spy for their forces using his godly ability to see enemy movements until he was captured by the Zhou and rebelling gods along with his partner. He turned against the Shang and helped the allied forces win the civil war.
6. Li Tianwang- He was a divine general in the Shang Dynasty, who rebelled along with his son the famed Na Zha, against the oppressive rule of the Shang King Zhou. He is noted for possessing a Pagoda that seals away enemies and is primarily a god of defensive urban warfare.
7. Shunfeng'er 顺风耳- The God of hearing, literally translated as sharp as wind ears, partnered with the God of Sight. 
 
Copyright © 2020 Funimation; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2022 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, and incidents belong to Funimation <br>

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, it’s interesting to see the thwarting of the attempt to kill Xie 

Lian. The returning victor being assaulted by one’s they had helped in the past. It will be interesting to see the reason for their instructions.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..