Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,117 Words
  • 2,842 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

True As It Can Be - Prologue. Prologue

Brad Brooks was the quintessential American high school quarterback. He was popular and his physical beauty attracted many girls and boys in school. His muscular body was sculpted through years of strenuous strength training and careful nutrition. His glorious facial features were a testament to a combination of moisturizing lotions, grooming, and genetics. His family had enormous resources, owning the largest fracking company in Colorado, the second largest fracking oil state after Texas. For a young man like Brad, life seemed to be set for great things, so he was exuberant, vain, and arrogant to a fault. His senior year of high school was marked with expected highs and unexpected dangerous lows.

His football team reached the peak of their performance, reaching the statewide championships and won in a slugfest that saw many of his own teammates injured due to the hyper-aggressive physical lineman of their opponent. Brad without considering his own teammates or what they gave up for their victory took much of the glory for himself running the final play into the endzone for a game winning touchdown, claiming it as a personal accomplishment. Several of his teammates tore ligaments and other muscles, costing them their college scholarships and dreams, while Brad became a much sought-after commodity among the top schools.

He was not all brawn either, he held a very erudite mind. He loved to read books in his spare time and hones his mind with books like Robert Greene’s 48 Laws of Power and Art of Seduction with its balance of history and strategy being used as a tool in his life. He wanted to be the best, the strongest, and most popular person he could be throughout his life, because he never saw a limit to his potential or abilities. Even in the realm of love, Brad was not afraid to play countless games with his various supposed female lovers; though, he was sexually only attracted to males, it was worthwhile to show platonic interest to females if it served his interests. He did favor one male in particular above all the others, his best friend and teammate, Gary Gaston. They knew each other from childhood, Gary learned many things from Brad as a result, including Brad’s uncompromising drive to get whatever he wanted. Brad loved Gary, because the other boy was a mirror image of himself. He taught Gary how to exercise, how to eat properly, how to groom, how to behave, and how to live. Brad knew it was a narcissistic pursuit, but he didn’t care that he wanted to love someone he made to be just like himself.

Gary was the team’s running back and backup quarterback, second only to Brad himself in importance. He was among one of the few team members not severely injured in the championship game due to the plan Brad developed to secure victory. After winning the championship game, Brad confessed his love for Gary, which Gary did not acknowledge with either encouragement or discouragement for weeks. Before graduation, Gary approached Brad that he wanted them to spend the last memorial-day weekend of high school together at Gary’s family cabin in the woods. Brad in his self-assured manner assumed this meant Gary had accepted his romantic advances. His mind whirled with the possibilities of various romantic and sexual scenarios. In Brad’s mind, he could have everything in a secluded cabin in the woods with the boy he always wanted.

Brad did not suspect that this was not a romantic gesture, nor did he consider telling his parents or anyone else that he was spending time with Gary, knowing that they may still need to remain in the closet if they wanted a better chance at professional careers. Brad bought a bouquet of Blue Roses from a special florist used by his family’s corporate account, nicking and causing his hand to bleed as he forgot to ask for the thorns to be removed, being too enamored with the beauty. He loved the color blue even if the roses were artificial, there’s something clear and refreshing about it in Brad’s mind; even though he knew the color of love should be Red or even pink as he hoped they were going to become gay lovers.

Brad’s memories are fragmented between getting the roses until he woke up in a hospital bed. Brad could not remember what happened to him during the intervening events. He suspected he knew what happened between his injuries and scars, but the thoughts of betrayal and anguish kept him quiet.

Brad went missing without a word for days despite attempts by his parents to reach him or trace his location through his smartphone’s GPS. Gary told the suspicious police that Brad had never visited him with several former football teammates acting as alibis. Brad and his car were found hundreds of miles away from his hometown in a nature preserve, Brad was beaten, naked, traces of drugs in his body, his beautiful face was disfigured, and various wound on his arms and legs would likely mean he’d never play football or even live normally again, if he survived his injuries. Among the most shocking aspects, doctors found evidence of thorns and blue rose petals inside his rectum, which shocked his parents.

Brad did not reveal anything to the police or his parents about what happened to him during the long weekend, but he was angry at everyone, snarky, and wanted to be left alone. The police without evidence and an uncooperative witness had no choice, but to end their investigation. Brad’s parents did not know how to react to the assault on their child, so they allowed him to rage during the months of physical therapy and his eventual move to college. Even there, his indignity and suffering continued. Instead of rooming with the ideal state of the art dorm building for athletes, he was relegated to a “special accommodation” dorm building and his scholarship was removed by the university, leaving him without the lucrative placement or priority status that he had merely months before. Brad’s only saving grace was the ability of living in a large single room due to parents’ wealth. However due to the relative ease of isolation, Brad spent most of his first semester locked in his room, unwilling to meet or see other students. He did not attend any classes and he would be kicked out of college by the end of the second semester, if he did not start coursework. An old-fashioned calendar hung on Brad’s wall with pictures of a cartoonish Blue Rose in various backgrounds, counting the days until he would get kicked out of the university and continuing his self-destructive path.

Copyright © 2021 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
  • Wow 6
  • Sad 14
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Well, you guys know my taste in reading is eclectic, so what about my actual writing. True As It Can Be is a story set in the modern world without any magic or fantasy. It's characters are lost, tragic, and very human. I also wanted to add some personal reflection, knowledge, and experience into my writing about things I haven't seen many authors comment on. As I noted in my story's summary page, I was inspired by Beauty and the Beast, heavily on its Disney animated version, but I inve
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

You won't find Brad's picture in the dictionary next to the word humility...

Thanks for reading, I hope the description of Brad works as an allusion to the Beast's original arrogant princely counterpart.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Interesting start. Brad is on a course to self destruction.

Yes, wonder what or who will save him? :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

Vane or vain to describe Brad?

Probably vain, thanks :)

Writing without an editor has its merits and its pitfalls, speed writing and idea generation comes far easier at the cost of grammar.

@Daddydavek I hope you enjoy the story, it's already 11 chapters long and has exceeded all my expectations for how many positive comments and reactions I am getting as an unedited piece of experimental writing goes. Reinterpreting a classic romance fantasy as a modern college romance is fun and engaging for me as a writer, just as it seems to be engaging for the audience.

As the famous Disney song goes (the other one from Beauty and the Beast), I hope you will "Be Out Guest" for this story

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 9/5/2021 at 10:19 PM, drsawzall said:

You won't find Brad's picture in the dictionary next to the word humility...

No. Definitely not. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..