Jump to content
    xTony
  • Author
  • 8,753 Words
  • 2,271 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Four Ways Adam and Chad Didn’t Meet (And the One Time They Did) - 1. Four Ways Adam and Chad Didn’t Meet (And the One Time They Did)

1. Watch Out (He’s Walking There)


Chad’s not sure exactly how it happened. There he was minding his own business in the park when this dog the size of a small Volkswagen psychotically barked at him like he knows him, then tackled him like a freaking NFL player. There was a shout of another voice and suddenly everything’s very wet.

Chad pushed his head to the surface and gasped, shaking hair out of his face. Dragging a hand over his eyes, he barely registered a hand gripping his wrist and pulling until he’s sitting next to the pond completely soaked. He opened his eyes and was greeted to a blurry world. There go his contacts. Just fucking great. Now he had to go all the way home and dig out his glasses, which meant he’s going to be late for his firm’s management meeting.

“Fuck, fuck, fuck,” he swore, plucking at his dripping sleeve. “This would happen the day I might, just might make senior partner.”

“I’m so sorry, man,” said the voice that shouted out earlier, apologetic and completely mortified. “Stardancer’s usually great at listening.”

“Stardancer?” he deadpanned.

The guy shrugged his broad shoulders. “Starbuck was taken.”

Chad looked into the eyes of a Great Dane that hung its head looking the epitome of remorse. The dog’s master stood against the sun so all Chad could see was a tall body covered by a pair of athletic shorts and a tight black wife beater, glistening with sweat. The face was a blur due to a combination of his ruined contacts and the sun glare. All he could make out was shaggy brown hair and a voice that’s smooth as molasses and all Texas.

“Can I help you up?” the guy pleaded, embarrassed.

Chad tried hard not to glare and was sure he failed miserably. He was wet and wet. “Thanks but no thanks. You’ve done enough. Seriously.”

Further apologies were waved off as Chad picked himself up with as much dignity as he could. It was hard to do so when there was a five year old pointing and openly laughing at him. And really, what did he do to deserve this? Was he cursed? This was supposed to be the defining day of his career.

“Can I make this up to you somehow?” The guy asked.

Chad shook his head, water slinging through the air and then grimaced. “I have to go home and change. I really don’t have the time. I’m going to be late as it is.” He had to bite his lower lip to prevent a scowl from forming as he brushed past the guy. It took him until he got to the sidewalk, well away from the pond, to remember his manners. He turned around and shouted, “I’m not normally this much of a jerk, but I do really have to go. Thanks for the offer.”

The guy cocked his head, his face still a blur seeing as how Chad’s contacts were dried up lumps in his eyes. “Sure you bet’cha. Maybe next time, huh?”

“Sure,” Chad replied, knowing he’d never see the man again.


The sky was extra cloudy and the stars were hidden behind the thick grayish fluffs, and it’s clear even in the night sky that it might rain. But that didn't matter. It’s the weekend and the bar was packed. So many people are crammed inside that you have to do that shuffle, sidestep, turn maneuver just to part the crowd. All the while you have to hope and pray that your nine dollar drink doesn’t spill. It’s a pain but by 2 am you’re so drunk you don’t even notice.

Chad turned away from the bar clutching his and Kevin’s Bud Light’s in one hand and the other is wrapped around a slim glass filled to the brim with rum and coke for Kristen. He made sure the rum was the premium stuff because he liked to see Kristen good and drunk. With enough liquor, Kristen’s alter ego Kiki comes out. Chad loved Kevin’s wife and all, but Kiki hadn’t made a solid appearance since their senior year in college and he missed that crazy bitch.

He turned around slow enough and yet still managed to collide solidly with someone. It was a miracle he didn’t land flat on his ass. However his luck wasn’t that great, Chad lost his grip on the beer and the bottles shattered against the floor and the rum and coke splashed all over his shirt. A hand gripped him to prevent Chad from slipping in the twenty seven dollar puddle of alcohol.

“Oh, damn. I didn’t see you there. I’m so sorry.”

The voice was hurried and so apologetically familiar. Chad was still in a stupor of stunned shock that it took him a solid minute to connect the voice to the face before him. Wide hazel eyes studied him with earnest sincerity backed by a strong jaw – and were those actual dimples— Chad swallowed.

“Hey,” the guy exclaimed, eyes alighting with recognition. “It’s you!”

Chad pulled his hand away, warm in the guy’s grip, and made a face. “For real? You again.”

The taller man grinned, wide and bright, scratching sheepishly at the back of his now red neck. “We’ve got to stop meeting like this.”

Chad rolled his eyes and snatched off his now wet button up shirt. The black shirt he wore underneath was slightly damp in some places but it was better than the liquor splattered mess the other shirt had become. He looked up and tilted his head, wondering at the way the guy’s eyes settled on his chest. He crossed his arms a little self consciously. The shirt was tight and wet and he was cold again, so he couldn’t help it if his nipples were hard. The guy’s gaze diverted, cheeks turning a dark red as Chad pointedly crossed his arms over the extra clingy parts.

“I feel like a complete tool,” said the guy. “Can I pay for your drinks? Maybe pay to have your shirt dry-cleaned too?”

“All I need from you is to get stop running into me,” Chad demanded.

“I said I was sorry,” he said, still grinning brightly despite Chad’s glare. “Now let me pay for your drinks.”

His fingers curled around Chad’s wrist and whether it’s because of his height, or because you know, he was built like a wrestler, people parted before him like the Red Sea. That was definitely the reason Chad didn’t snatch his hand away from the strange guy and stomp off. Definitely.

The guy flagged a bartender and Chad rattled off his order watching at the easy way the crazy guy slid a credit card onto the bar top. Chad sighed as the bartender began to mix his drinks. He pushed the card back over to the guy.

“I can’t let you pay for these, man,” he said guiltily. “It seriously was an accident and I’m starting to feel bad.”

The guy grinned lazily, hazel eyes twinkling with humor. “Trust me. This will make me feel better. Plus, you have to spend two-hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year to qualify for the Visa Black Card.”

Chad rubbed a hand over his lips to hide his grin. “Of course.”

The guy leveled him with a teasing glare, poking him in the chest. “I want that Black Card.”

“Right” Chad held up his hands, openly smiling now. “Who am I to deny you the card that only one percent of the American population owns.”

Grinning brightly, the guy winked. “Damn skippy.” He glanced at the drinks as the bartender placed them on the counter and then grabbed the card to cash them out. “Do you need any help?”

“Please, that’ll be great.” Chad nodded, grabbing the rum and coke. “Can you grab the beers? I got this one. Kristen will Hulk out if she doesn’t get some liquor in her, stat.”

The guy looked down, idly bobbing his head to the music as he stared fixedly at the bottle tops. “Cool. I know how that goes. Is she your girlfriend?”

Chad almost dropped the drink he jerked so hard. He made a face as the guy intently focused on signing his name in loopy and unrecognizable letters on the merchant copy of the receipt the bartender handed off.

“Gross.” Chad grimaced.

The guy’s eyebrows rose. “Oh, not your type?”

Chad frowned. What was up with this guy? He leaned against the counter as if he had no other place he’d rather be, and the way he even looked at Chad was weird. It was like he was the only one in the entire room. Did he want him to hook him up with Kristen? He hadn’t played wingman in a while but he was pretty sure it was bad etiquette to hookup your best friend’s wife with a stranger.

“Uh, I’m just not into the whole girl thing, pal.”

The guy looked at him all intense and serious, sort of hopeful and awed filled, and so many things all at once. Chad found his heart doing a weird flip flop and a weightless sensation settled in his stomach.

“So you’re gay?” he asked, his voice pitched oddly.

Chad blinked, nodding slowly, and he’s kind of afraid to answer. “That’s kinda what they call it when a guy likes dick.”

“Awesome,” the guy exhaled, eyes shining and grin turning impossibly brighter. He licked his lips and Chad’s eyes involuntarily tracked the action. “Would I be out of line if I asked for a kiss?”

Here, in a crowded bar, and while holding drinks his friends probably think he went to China to get? “Good girls don’t kiss guys without even a first date.” He bit his lower lip, taking in all of this man who’s making his skin tingle like he’s a virgin on Prom night. “…But I do.”

The guy let out a startled noise at suddenly having Chad so near, mouth pressed against his own and arms wrapped around his body. His mouth opened on a gasp and Chad’s tongue slid inside. Their tongues touch cautiously at first and then it’s like they’re kissing like they’ve been doing it all their lives. It’s like their bodies knew what to do without coaxing, and the guy let out a moan as Chad nipped lightly on his lower lip. Chad gently explored the stranger’s mouth and seriously, this has suddenly become his favorite thing like ever, because he could never get enough of this.

Chad pulled back and the guy followed unconsciously, but he leaned further back, dizzy and out of breath. “Uh, wow.” He blinked a few times to get his brain cells to shift into gear. “I can’t believe I just did that. I don’t even know your name.”

The guy blinked, a dazed smile forming on his face. “It’s Adam. Is this a bad time to say I think we should go out sometime?”

“My tongue was just spelling the alphabet on the back of your throat.” Chad laughed, sliding a hand through Adam’s wavy hair. “You seriously have to ask me that?”

Adam grinned and it made Chad a little weak in the knees. “Just wanted to be sure.”

They smiled at each other and as cliché as it sounds, they got lost in each other's eyes. A part of them both realize that something monumental just occurred but they can’t put their finger on it. All they know is that this is crazy wonderful.


2. Coloring in the Lines

Technically Adam wasn’t supposed to be walking the halls, but it’s not like he was about to leave the building. He was eight not dumb. He knew all about kidnappings and terrorism and stuff. He read a lot even if he wasn’t allowed to watch any of the good stuff on TV.

He slid the bathroom pass in his pocket. And really it wasn’t much of a pass as it was a ruler with his classroom number and teacher’s name written on it. He just wanted to check on Teddy. This time of year was always hard, as it neared the day of his mother’s death. The teddy bear was the last thing she got for him. Even if Teddy was shoved inside his backpack locked in his locker, it was still a comfort to have it close.

Adam heard a noise as he neared the row of lockers that was assigned for his class. The hallway was clear and everyone was in class so the noise was muffled yet it still carried. It was coming from between the pillar that separated the lockers from the stairs. Hunched in the small space was a kid. His tiny hands are wrapped around his knees pulled tightly against his chest. He looked up at Adam with a head full of golden blond hair, wide blue eyes full of tears and desperate panic.

“Hi,” Adam said softly, gently, trying to appear as non-threatening as possible.

The boy was younger and smaller than him. It wasn’t by much, he was probably seven tops so they were close in age. He sniffled and rubbed at his teary eyes, his lip quivering as he peered up at Adam through his lashes.

“Hi,” he replied shyly, ducking his head.

Adam smiled reassuringly, feeling funnily protective of the blued eyed boy. “I’m Adam. What’s your name?”

“My…” he took a big long sniff and wiped his sleeve across his nose. “My name’s Chad.”

Now that they exchanged names Chad seemed to lose a bit of his shyness and tipped forward into Adam’s arms. He fell solidly against the older boy, twisting his chubby fists into the front of Adam’s denim jacket.

“What’s going on?” Adam asked. “Why are you out here crying?”

Adam grabbed Chad’s hands and lifted them both to their feet. Chad didn’t release his hands. He only gripped Adam’s tighter, looking up at the older boy with watery blue eyes. Adam took a moment to study him, taking in the smattering of freckles sprinkled across the bridge of his nose.

“In class we got roses to give to someone we really, really like. I didn’t want to give mine to any of the girls in class. They’re stupid and they’re mean. Then, dumb Tammy McKallum started making fun of me and she ripped up my flower. I didn’t even do anything to her.”

Adam didn’t know how the boy managed to say all of that in one breath. Actually, there may have been some breathing involved but he hadn’t seen it, since just watching the impressive ramble sent him into a daze.

“So why are you out here?” Adam asked, wiping at tear marked freckled cheeks.

Chad shrugged, rocking up on the balls of his feet. “I left the classroom, even though I wasn’t ‘posed to, and then I fell real hard and hurt my knee, and then I got lost.”

“Whoa,” Adam murmured, taking the hands holding his and blowing gently on them.

It’s what his mama always used to do for him when he was littler to calm him down. Adam spied his locker to his immediate right and dropped down to the bottom row. He opened the combo lock with deft fingers. He reached in and found his treasure quickly.

Chad watched with wide eyes at the brown and fluffy object held in Adam’s hands. “What’s that?”

“This is Theodore T. Bear. Teddy for short,” Adam explained, feeling suddenly nervous and he had no idea why.

“What’s the ’T’ for?” Chad asked.

Adam shrugged, smiling embarrassedly. “The. As in, Theodore The Bear.” His smile turned genuinely happy at the squeal of laughter that Chad let out. It sort of suddenly becomes Adam’s favorite sound. Adam’s cheeks flush pink as he thrusts the bear out at him. “Um, this is for you. I want you to have it.”

And he’s not sure why he wants Chad to have Teddy. Adam just knows he wants Chad to have something of his to always remind the blond of him. For some reason this was super important to him.

Chad took the bear with a wondrous expression etched on his face. He brought the bear to his face rubbing the soft felt against his kin. It felt soft and smelled like sunshine and warm laundry. It was awesome.

“Are you sure?”

Adam nodded and he really was sure. Teddy would watch out for Chad like he looked after Adam. “I’m sure. He’s yours now.”

“Chad Summers!”

A heavyset Hispanic woman came striding down the corner, half exasperated and half relieved at the sight of Chad. He beamed as she ruffled his hair affectionately, bending at the waist to look him directly in the eye.

“What have I told you about running off? You’re going to give me gray hairs all by yourself, boy.” She noticed Adam for the first time, standing quietly beside Chad. “And who might you be?”

Chad clutched tightly to Teddy, smiling widely as he gestured at the older boy. “This is my new friend, Adam, Ms. Garcia. He gave me Teddy and helped me and everything!”

Ms. Garcia nodded, giving him a kind smile. “That’s a nice thing you did, Adam. Whose class are you in?”

“I’m in Mr. Luccio’s class right now,” he replied, pulling out the pass to show her. He looked at Chad, tugging at the boy’s sleeve. “You alright now?”

The blond head nodded quickly and then before Adam could move, the boy was throwing his arms around him. Chad mumbled a thank you against his neck and then without really thinking, he leaned up and pecked Adam on the lips. Hazel eyes flew open, wide and stunned, and Chad watched without stopping. Their lips continued to press together as they stared at each other till their sight blurred. Adam stepped back and touched a finger to his dry lips, face red and slack with shock.

Chad giggled as he tucked the bear under the crock of his elbow. “One day, I’m gonna marry you.”

Adam couldn’t form words if he tried and he was sure that his face must look ridiculous. And yet there’s a distant echo at the back of his head, something other, that knows exactly what to say to the pr…

Ms. Garcia buried a laugh in her palm. “Let’s worry about getting you back to class, prince charming.”

A note of familiarity rings clearly in Adam’s mind. The nickname sounds…

The woman gripped Chad’s hand and then turned to Adam. “You go on to class, dear. If Mr. Luccio gives you any trouble tell him to call my extension and I’ll talk to him.”

Chad waved as they departed down the hall all the while looking back till they turned a corner and completely lost sight of the boy. Adam stayed there for a long moment, fingertips tracing the edge of his bottom lip.

When his daddy came to pick him up later that day, he kept looking for a familiar blond head amongst an army of waiting kids and honking school buses. Even without so much as a glimpse, the free-floating content feeling in his belly never leaves.


3. The Old College Try

The dorm room was smaller than they thought. Chad already began to plot ways of stacking the nightstands to make more walking space, because this was seriously a downgrade from his old room at his parents’ house. Kevin dug into a box on his bed, shooting him a triumphant grin as he displayed a rather sad looking soccer ball that he then perched perfectly on the dresser under the window. The sun hit it at an angle and Kevin gave a contented sigh.

“Must you hetero the room up already,” Chad groaned. “We just got here.”

Kevin shot him the finger. “Sophomore year, Chad-o. You know what that means, last year of dorm hell. So please give me these few simple pleasures.”

Their parents had long since kissed them goodbye and shed the usual tears, so now all they had to do is unpack and hit up the quad to ogle the eye candy. It was a tradition they took very seriously. Scoping out the pretty faces always took precedent.

Kevin looked around and groaned. “Dude, I can’t find the dorm guidelines form we’re supposed to sign.”

Chad rolled his eyes. “And here I thought that college made you smarter. I’ll go find the RA and get another one otherwise we’ll probably be written up or something. Remember how seriously Luke took that crap freshman year?”

“Who can forget the Lukinator, RA from Hell?” Kevin sneered, glaring at the window like Luke was on the other side. “Dude needed to get fisted, seriously.”

Chad frowned. “Thanks for the imagery, Kev. “

“You love it. It’s the stuff of gay dreams,” Kevin teased wiggling his eyebrows as Chad opened the door. “Oh, and see what’s his stand on alcohol while you’re there. My dad totally gave me a bottle of tequila.”

“Seriously?” asked Chad dubiously.

Kevin shrugged. “Technically he doesn’t know I took it, but I prefer to think of it as a donation.”

“Wiser, drunker and more adaptable at cramming,” Chad smiled. “Sophomore year is going to be epic.”

Kevin nodded solemnly. “Hell to the yes.”

It was relatively easy to find the RA’s room. It was just a few doors down and had a bright plastic sign on the door that said Resident Advisor – and underneath was inked in Adam Caine in small cursive. He knocked lightly and there was a muffled noise that sounded like “hold on a minute” or “I got the digits” before the door was jerked open.

Adam was tall. Taller than Chad and his long hair was tied back, and he could see that it’s brown with hints of copper gleaming under the lighting. He was wearing a USC shirt and sweatpants. He peered at Chad with slightly puffy, red rimmed eyes. He smiled at Chad and it was big and wide and kind of fake. Chad’s done it enough to know.

“Can I help you?” Adam asked.

Chad realized he had been staring and shook his head. “Yeah, I was wondering if I could get another copy of the dorm guidelines we’re supposed to sign. My friend lost his copy. And I know I could probably get it tomorrow at the dorm meeting, but you’ll probably be super busy so I thought—”

Adam held up his hands, shaking his head with a bemused smile. “Dude, that was an epic ramble. Just come in. I have to dig out a copy for you.”

“You have the room all to yourself?” Chad asked, spotting the one bed as he stepped in.

Adam snorted at his envious tone and closed the door behind them. “A resident advisor perk I guess. So what’s your name?”

“Chad Summers,” he called out as Adam rummaged around in the closet.

He took a minute to look around the room. Indeed there was one bed. There was also a rather nice television catty corner on a tall dresser. The walls were filled with those huge playbill posters from shows like Rent and Wicked and there was actually two from Spring Awakening. Adam had to be a theater major. For the first time he realized the TV was on, and paused on a clip he actually recognized.

“Last of the Time Lords,” said Chad, voice ringing with surprise.

Adam looked up holding one of those huge folders that looked like an envelope and is snapped shut with a button. It’s really random and chickish, with the main guy and girl from Hairspray emblazed across the front, but it made Chad smile.

“What’d you just say?”

“Doctor Who,” Chad answered, waving at the TV. “Man, this is a sad episode. I always get all misty eyed during this scene. Martha Jones versus the Master turns me into a big baby.”

A true smile blossomed on Adam’s face and it makes his whole expression so happily ecstatic, Chad’s surprised that he really wants to always be the one to make Adam smile like that.

“I was just in here watching this and bawling my eyes out,” Adam admitted, flushing as he realized that he just confessed to crying alone in his dorm over a television show.

The sight of the blush brought on a mental aw of cuteness in Chad’s mind. He plopped down on the bed and his hand was around Adam’s wrist before he realized it, dragging the older boy down with him. He let out a startled noise as they bounced on the mattress.

“We’ve got to watch the rest,” Chad said, a spring-loaded smile on his face. “The best part is when the Doctor gets mojoed up and goes all New Testament on the Master.”

If Adam was surprised that some strange sophomore had just made himself at home in his room and pretty much, you know, manhandled him he didn’t show it. In fact he looked at Chad like there was no other place he’d rather be.

“Right!” Adam agreed, nodding with a ridiculously pleased smile. “That’s the best part for sure.”

Chad snatched up the remote control from under his ass, because he kind of misjudged his trajectory and sat right on it. He pressed play and the screen came alive with movement and sound.

“David Tennant rocks the Doctor,” Chad breathed out in honest appreciation. “Nothing against Eccleston or the others but he’s my favorite, hands down.”

Adam nodded, his eyes practically glowing with happiness. “Mine too. He never lets you forgot just how freaking alien the Doctor really is.”

“I can’t believe you watch this,” muttered Chad, smiling as the inevitable confrontation played out on screen. “I don’t know anyone besides me that watches this.”

Adam smiled a smaller version of that mega-watt smile from earlier. It was tiny, private and for some inexplicable reason Chad knew that this smile was just for him, and him alone for always. He blinked quickly, turning away to hide a blush.

“Maybe we can watch it together when the new season starts up?” Adam asked.

Chad turned back and he’s smiling so wide his eyes crinkle. “That’ll be awesome.”

They bantered back and forth as the episode ran on. They were so enthralled in their conversation both forgot that they’d just met. It sounded strange but it wasn’t. Not for them. They clicked in a way that neither had before experienced. Chad found himself laughing and smiling so hard that his sides and face hurt. Adam was in a similar situation as he hastily wiped at the tears that dotted the corners of his eyes.

“I can tell this year’s going to be a blast with you down the hall,” Adam laughed.

“You say that now,” Chad warned, grinning. “Just wait till I knock on your door and abuse your superior upperclassmen knowledge to help me study during midterms.”

Adam sighed, fixing on a put upon expression. “This wasn’t in the RA book. The things I do for you guys.”

“Sweet,” Chad said triumphantly, pumping his fist in the air. “You can’t take that back now. Your ass is so mine during midterms.”

A slow smile spread across Adam’s face. “Kinky little thing, aren’t you? You must turn into quite the pimp during finals.”

Chad made his hand flat and raised it up, furrowing his brow determinedly. “My pimp hand is way strong.”

They snorted and then burst into laughter that sent them falling a bit till they leaned against each other, shoulder to shoulder. Somewhere Adam’s hair had fallen free from its tie and now floated in a shiny mane with a few strands falling across his face.

His heart beat wildly in his chest as he stared for a long and powerful moment. Chad had to clench his hand into a fist to not do something stupid like brush those tantalizing soft strands away from that chiseled face. God, he was such a girl sometimes. He looked away before he did something he would regret, like jump his RA that he met all of an hour ago. After throwing up in the parking lot of Arby’s last year and then falling asleep using a bottle of Patron as a pillow, he earned the nickname Classy Chad. He didn’t want to know the nickname he’d get for throwing himself at his RA who was super cool and way out of his league.

Chad’s gaze moved and landed on the True Blood, Season 1 DVD box set that sat on a shelf. He’s aware that he’s gaping but he can’t help it. This is True Blood and it’s not some random show, but in his mind it’s the epitome of modern vampire fiction and deserves its place in history and the center of every fanboys’ wet dreams.

“Shut up!” Chad gasped, jumping from the bed and practically leaping to the DVD set.

Adam blinked, confused. “But I didn’t say anything…”

Chad smiled at him like he can’t believe he really exists like he just witnessed a miracle. “This is awesome. We’re totally watching this.”

“You like True Blood?” asked Adam, sounding astonished and pleased.

He snorted. “Addicted is more like it. This show is crack, swear to God.”

Chad was still smiling as he went straight for the DVD player and puts in the first disc of True Blood. He crossed back to the bed and flopped down on it, jostling Adam and sending the older boy into a laughing fit as they wrestled for the remote. Adam managed to do some weird Kung Fu move and held up the remote triumphantly much to Chad’s exaggerated pout.

“I’ve got moves that’ll make you cry,” Adam boasted, flipping through the menu then pressing ‘Play’ at the episode he was looking for. “My side occupation is ninja.”

He stared at Adam’s profile taking in the ski slopped nose that shouldn’t be cute, ‘cuz he doesn’t have a thing for noses or anything but it so is. Even his curly eyelashes that should be girly along with his long hair are all kinds of sexy instead of uncute and stupid. He shook his head. He was not going there.

Chad sang along to the theme, grinning and bouncing so much that it unsettled Adam from his spot. He pushed at Chad but that only made him sing louder, throwing an arm around Adam and pulling him into a wild and uncoordinated sway.

Adam rolled his eyes as the song ended and the opening scene appeared. “You’re such a spaz, like some ADD kid hyped up on meth.”

The insult lacked any bite. It was warm and entirely too fond, coming out soft and affectionate than offensive. Chad’s stomach did this weird flip and then his heart felt like it was close to bursting. It was almost like that time he watched Care Bears at 4 am a few years ago and kept screaming I CARE during the climax.

He made sure he was looking pointedly at the TV, watching as a vampire begged for his freedom while tied to a lawn chair. If he looked at Adam he might do something impulsive and mark his neck with a hickey the size of Texas.

The show was almost twenty minutes in before Adam says something, not taking his eyes off the TV, as he too casually asked, “Is it just me or did I only meet you like two hours ago, but it feels like—“

“Like I know you,” Chad finished quietly, feeling strange to actually be acknowledging their connection or whatever it was.

The show was forgotten, running on in the background in a mix of voices and indistinguishable words. Adam looked up at him and his face was set in this determined expression, but Chad could still see fear shining behind hazel eyes clear as day.

“I know this is going to sound weird and presumptuous,” Adam said, earnest and hesitant. “I’m gay and I don’t know if you are, but I like you and I think you’re really special. And I really want to take you out sometime. If you aren’t gay that’s totally fine and forget—”

Chad blinked trying to take it all in, as a warm glow spread through the pit of his stomach. “Okay. Yeah.”

His voice came out raw and rough from all the emotion that builds up, filling his stomach and making him all light headed. Adam stopped mid ramble and looked at him, eyes wide open and face hopeful and attentive.

“Yeah?” he asked sort of disbelieving. “You really mean it? Me and you?”

Chad’s throat felt swollen as he just about choked on emotion. He couldn’t believe that something so amazingly right was happening to him. The warm glow was nearing supernova proportions and it felt like a fierce flame was licking underneath his skin.

Then, Chad’s eyes softened and he nodded, letting a small smile slip on his face. “I’m already counting this as our first date, so as far as taking me out goes I’m expecting to be wined and dined, mister.”

Adam laughed, low and quiet. “If this is an indicator of our relationship—” He reached out and took Chad’s hand, and they both smiled at their folded fingers. “We’re going to be awesome.”

Chad’s smile was silly, even he could tell. He only went to pick up some dumb papers and instead got himself a date and fate willing, a boyfriend. A scream broke the moment and on the TV the vampire tied to the lawn chair exploded in a too-quick implosion of sticky red gore.

"That was freaking disgusting!" Adam exclaimed, completely delighted. He's grinning so hard Chad can’t help but laugh at his affronted enthusiasm. "Awesome!"

“Season two was the best,” Chad grinned. “Michelle Forbes was awesome in it. I haven’t seen here since BSG… Oh, dammit,” He rushed out, feeling his face heat. “BSG stands for—”

“Battlestar Galactica,” Adam said, casually. “I’ve got that on DVD too. Haven’t got around to unpacking all my crap yet.” He tapped a finger against his chin, absently thinking aloud, “I can’t remember if I packed my Buffy and Firefly box sets or that Stargate—”

“Shut up,” Chad growled.

His eyes were dilated with darkening lust that made his cheeks a blazing red. If Adam didn’t know the way into Chad’s heart, and or his pants, was by playing on his love of science fiction shows he got that now. With the way Chad crushed their lips together putting his all into their first kiss, it was safe to say that he wasn’t that totally stupid.

Sweet baby Jesus, this was going to be the best school year ever.

 

4. Somehow I’ve Fallen (Under your Spell)

When they said fundraiser he expected a lot of tuxedos and sparkly couture gowns. Broadway Bares was more like Showgirls, Queer as Folk meets Broadway gone dirty. That was New York for you. Chad’s advertising agency had only opened an office here last year. With the transfer, he’d only been in the city for ten months. In that time he had a failed relationship, a promotion, been accosted by prostitutes and a birthday. Being 28 was starting to look up if nights were always like this.

“I feel like we should be doing something dirty.” Kevin blatantly checked out all the scantily clad people walking around. “I wanna do, like, coke or something off that chick’s rack.”

Chad only raised an eyebrow. “You do know these people aren’t really strippers or whatever. They’re Broadway performers. They’re raising money for AIDS.”

“All that singing and dancing does the body real good,” muttered Kevin, loosening his tie and grinning at him under the strobe lights. “So I’ve decided that I pretty much love New York. Moving here? Best decision ever.”

Chad laughed, looking over the crowd of casually dressed attendees to all the bared performers moving amongst the crowd. Whoever said, sex sells, said it best. They were pulling in some serious cash flow tonight.

“Dude, that girl with the lace lingerie is giving me the ‘fuck me’ look,” Kevin said, elbowing Chad in the side.

“First of all, ow,” Chad glared, rubbing his side. Kevin had some sharp elbows, shit. He took a second to really look. “Oh, wow. She totally is. Go talk to her, man.”

Kevin gave him a searching look. “Are you sure? I don’t want to leave you hanging.”

“I’ll be fine, Kev. If I get in trouble I swear I’ll blow my rape whistle.”

“You better, fucker.” Kevin took off his tie and popped three buttons on his shirt. He draped his jacket over his arm and shot Chad a wink. “I got to look deceptively casual.”

Chad rolled his eyes. “You are the worst thing in my life. Go get her, tiger.”

He turned away as Kevin parted the crowd. Chad moved to another part of the event, wanting to see more of the performances. He wished that he had time to change earlier. The jacket and tie were making him a bit hot, but he and Kevin had gotten tickets last minute and came immediately after work.

“Chad!”

He froze. He knew that voice. Chad closed his eyes praying that maybe some other man in the room had been saddled with the same soap opera-ish name. The shout came again, closer. He groaned. Time to face the music. He put on a fake smile and turned around.

“I thought that was you!” said a tall dark haired man, smiling as he neared. “I haven’t seen you in like a month or has it been two?”

Chad’s smile became a little more forced. “When did you break up with me, Collin? Start from there and count.”

“Don’t be some bitter fag,” Collin said, still smiling. He tugged on the hand he was holding and Chad noticed the tall red headed man, who was eyeing Chad like he played in trashcans. “You haven’t met Jude, have you? Jude’s my new boyfriend. He’s in banking.”

He knew what Collin was doing and he didn’t like it. Not at all. The smart thing to do would be to walk away but there was no way he was giving the bastard that piece of ammunition. Chad wasn’t a pushover in their relationship and he wasn’t one now.

“Cool. I really like your hair, man.” Chad's smile turned sharp. “It must be a real bitch to have to maintain though. I stopped highlighting my hair when I was seventeen.”

Jude narrowed his eyes. “My hair is like this naturally.”

“Naturally from a bottle,” Chad muttered, sipping at the glass of champagne clenched tightly in his hand.

Collin tilted his head, pointedly looking at the empty space next to Chad. “You here by yourself? No boyfriend?”

It took everything he had to hold back the cringe. As much as he would like to deny it, Collin had him there. He hadn’t had a steady boyfriend since Collin broke up with him. The last few dates had turned out to be disasters. Really, what guy wears Manolos on a date? The fuck.

Something touched him, putting pressure on the small of his back. He jumped as a shock sizzled against his skin. It was pleasantly comforting and he barely grasped his wits as a smooth voice that’s deep and accented in a soft Texas drawl leaves him stunned.

“Hey, baby, sorry I’m late but that last performance ran a little long.”

Chad stared at the man at his side and died, or would have if he knew that he could take this Adonis with him to the afterlife. The guy was gorgeous and easily the sexiest thing on two legs in the whole place. His brown hair was brushed until it was a frothy mass around his shoulders. He was wearing nothing but a pair of silky undershorts, black of course. They were slit high on each side, giving glimpses of his thighs. It wasn’t like he had anything to be ashamed of body wise. His chest was strong and firm and those abs belonged on a model. He was a little over six foot and looked down at Chad with twinkling hazel eyes, and if he wasn’t standing so close Chad wouldn’t have noticed the blush creep into his cheeks as they met eyes.

The guy’s arm wrapped around his waist and Chad instinctively moved into the hold, snaking his arm around the man’s body to mirror the action. The man winked quickly, grinning.

“We haven’t met and you are?” Collin looked completely shocked at the sudden turn of events.

And Jude was making no effort to drag his eyes up from the man’s chest. Chad sent him a fierce glare and tightened his arm around the guy’s waist. The man ducked his head, smile turning shy before he looked back at Collin all confidence and bravado restored.

“Hi, I’m Adam,” he held out his hand and Collin gave it a stiff and quick shake.

“Collin Manna,” he said like his name should mean something. His face dropped when he saw Adam only continued to smile disarmingly. “How exactly do you know Chad?”

Adam squeezed Chad’s waist. “I’m his boyfriend.”

Hallelujah. All of that good karma must have piled up and convoluted into this one freaking perfect moment. Nothing will ever top this or come close. Chad smiled so wide it was a miracle his face didn’t crack. Collin didn’t know whether to smile or frown, so his face was stuck moving between the two and it was gold.

“And Adam is a wonderful boyfriend,” Chad said unable to stop with the crazy smiling.

“I hate to cut this so short but it was nice meeting you Colton, oops, I mean Collin,” said Adam with a soft chuckle. “But I’ve got another performance soon and I want some quality time with my boyfriend before I go back on. Bye.”

Chad gave Collin a smarmy grin and sent another glare at Jude for ogling Adam’s ass, as the man grabbed Chad’s hand and walked them through the crowd and away from the scene that’ll never be forgotten.

Adam dragged them to a lounge that was marked for personal use only. It was empty in the room that was decked out with plush couches, plasma TV’s and mini fridges. They were still holding hands, and Chad smiled at the blush that crept along Adam’s face again.

“God, you must think I’m some psycho or something,” Adam said in an apologetic tone. “I’m really not. You just looked like you needed an out.”

“You’ve no idea how much you helped me,” Chad said sincerely. He was unconsciously tracing the pad of his thumb over the back of the hand he still held. “Collin’s a dick and tried to step all over me when we were together. If he knew I was still single he would probably think he ruined me for all men or something. His ego’s big like that.”

Adam threw back his head and laughed. “I could see that.”

Chad took a moment to just stare. Dear God, the man really was perfect. It was like looking at one of those Greek statues come to life. Adam bit lower lip and shyly looked at him through his lashes. It was adorable and so different from the Gryffindor tornado he was earlier.

“Do you normally bail out guys from jerk ex’s at events like this?” Chad asked teasingly.

Adam shook his head, scratching at his hair. “You’re the first. You looked like you needed rescuing. I probably fumbled a bit during my last performance, but I couldn’t stop watching you.”

This time it was Chad who blushed. “Oh?”

“I saw you when you first came in,” he admitted, smiling at him softly. “You were with that other guy and I didn’t know how to approach you—“

“He’s just a friend,” Chad rushed out, hoping to get that cleared up asap. “I mean… uh, if you’re like, wondering…”

Adam’s smile brightened. “Cool.” He let out a little laugh. “When he left to talk to Giselle I figured I had a chance. Only homos are immune to her allure.”

Chad laughed and said quietly, not breaking eye contact, “Lucky me.”

Adam glanced at the clock over Chad’s shoulder and rolled his eyes. “I have to get back out there before they let loose the PA’s.” He slipped his hand into Chad’s pocket and grinned at the expected jump. Fishing out Chad’s phone he quickly programmed a number into it and then handed it back off. “There’s my number. I should be done here by ten.” He squeezed Chad’s hands and leaned in close enough to kiss and said softly, “We’ve got to put this being boyfriends thing to the test.”

While he seemed all sure and steady his voice was open and vulnerable, and Chad would be damned if he ruined this moment. “For the record, I rock at being a boyfriend.”

Adam leaned down and pressed a chaste kiss against his lips, smelling of something sweet and cinnamon, and breathed out, “I had a feeling.”

Another kiss was pressed against his forehead and Adam was off out the door, leaving Chad breathless and hopeful and anxious. Briefly, he wondered if this is what they mean when they say lovestruck. He couldn’t imagine it being anything else.


5. Our Future in the Palm of my Hand

The two teenage boys at the bar top of the arcade traded insults back and forth. Adam knew he could come off as a jerk sometimes. Being blind and an orphan kind of put a chip on his shoulder, as his relatives liked to say sometimes when he was out of earshot in worried, whispered tones. He wasn’t a problem child so they couldn’t really complain.

This was different though. He knew he shouldn’t be so rude to the boy, but it was so much fun to tease him. In his mind he had this image of Chad that’s probably all wrong, but it’s the face that immediately appeared when he heard that sing-song California accent. Blue eyes and golden blond hair and a cherubic face resolutely hovered behind his sightless eyes.

Before he knew it he’d slipped a flirtatious timbre into his voice, and he knows it’s a bad idea but he can’t help it. There’s something about the boy that he really wanted to get to know. But yet again, they always noticed Danny first. It was nothing new.

He ground down on his teeth as sat on the sidelines trapped in a world of darkness as the instant light that pierced his fog flirted with his annoying, meathead cousin. Adam Caine is a Blind Loser Who Likes Boys: A Lifetime Original Movie was what they should call his life.

It’s not like he could cockblock his cousin. What did he have going for him? The sad thing was he honestly didn’t know where he stood in looks next to Danny. People always said they couldn’t see the resemblance, so did that mean he was ugly? From the way people flocked to the charismatic loudmouth he was inclined to say yes.

He winced as Chad’s flirtation was made awkward by Danny’s overpowering charm. He was going to be sick. Tucking a strand of loose hair behind his ear, Adam stood up and fixed his sunglasses

“I think I’ve had enough of Dawson’s Arcade for today,” he sighed, grabbing his cane. He turned in Chad’s general direction. “You stay tough, fireball.”

“And you leave the asshole routine where you found it,” Chad replied. Adam smiled as a crystal clear image of a scowling face graced the dark. And what was up with that, usually he doesn’t imagine images so clearly. “And here’s a tip, sunglasses at night is so 80’s.”

Adam bit down hard to smother the laugh that threatened to erupt from his throat. He pasted on a mocking scowl and made a big production of extending his cane. He heard a horrified gasp and turned his mouth into a nasty sneer, all the while laughing inside.

“I’m sorry if me being blind is not trendy enough for you.”

“Sorry,” Chad squeaked, and Adam was this close to laughing until he passed out.

Smiling winsome, Adam shook his head and said almost wistfully, “You really are kind of cute.”

As he walked out he imagined that handsome face scrunch up in confusion, watching him speculatively. He couldn’t help but wonder if angels looked like Chad.

Suddenly in the darkness that was his sight Chad’s mental image faded into a sprawling city with impossibly tall spires that glinted in the evening light.

He found himself transported into the shining city, now standing on the balcony of a central tower that rose higher than all others. A moment passed then arms slipped around his middle. He looked over his shoulder into drowning blue eyes. Blond hair tickled against his skin and he smiled.

Feeling warm and content, he let the overwhelming emotions cascade over him and he thought home.

He could feel others surround them, each caught in the spectacular view. Their presence was a comfort, evoking feelings of camaraderie and friendship that was second to love shared with the man holding him.

From here to there images shifted, changed, but all the while the people around him stayed. Their faces lined with age as the years passed, but their presence remained true and strong. All the while the man with the sapphire eyes was always there, always at his side, holding him through it all.

The images blurred as if time itself stretched out for him until he could see its alpha and omega. Then, the confusing kaleidoscope of colors focused into the clearest image he could ever recall. A city skyline the likes of which Adam had never heard of, or seen when he had vision, graced the horizon. The architecture was made of tall crystal spires that dwarfed any of the skyscrapers he could remember from his childhood. At the city’s core sat a massive crystal dome that looked like it could double as a palace.

Above him was a sight that took stole his breath. Earth.

The planet hung in the air like a pale crescent, floating peacefully in the starry sky like a gigantic blue moon. It loomed so large above that the familiar land masses and continents were easily recognizable among its swirls of clouds.

It couldn’t be? Was he on the freaking moon?

He found himself turning around as twin cries of “Daddy!” cut through his bewildered surveillance. An involuntary smile stretched across his face as a girl and boy raced across the field of flowers, their little faces stretched tight with brilliant smiles. Their robe like garments caught the breeze and he laughed as they jumped into his arms, their chubby little hands gripping him tightly. They were no older than five and their hair was as brown as his, but their eyes were ocean blue and so familiar.

Adam looked in the direction the kids ran from and found a man dressed in similar clothing to the children, and his blond hair was short and neatly styled underneath a glittering crown of silver. He eyed the children and gave Adam an exasperated smile tinged with fondness. The man was in his early thirties, but he knew that face. Those eyes… ocean blue.

Within the man’s crooked arms rested a bundle of cloth. Adam’s breath caught as the man smiled and tenderly traced a finger down a sleeping baby’s cheek…. And Adam thought one word, family.

Adam blinked and it all faded away. Gone. His sight returned to darkness and he took a shuttered breath, stopping for a moment to lean against a pillar away from the mall crowd. A feeling threatened to rise up over him, but he couldn’t place it. Something nagged at the back of his mind. A word—princel…

Then, it was gone.

Adam shook his head as his body returned to normal and the world didn’t break out into its weird field of dreams again. Already the visions or hallucinations were fading from his memory. One thing remained and later, for the life of him, he couldn’t remember why but all he knew was…

He and Chad— They kind of were like magnets.

Copyright © 2018 xTony; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 12
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Omg adorable!!! Btw totally trying to hate Jonas Quinn on SG1but he is to cute

Edited by Wesley8890
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/1/2018 at 8:36 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Omg adorable!!! Btw totally trying to hate Jonas Quinn on SG1but he is to cute

Thank you.

 

Jonas is the poor man's Daniel Jackson but we still love him. 

 

18 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I really like the way you chose it in the end, best. 

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

 

16 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Adorable 

Ty! I like how it turned out.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Okay, read the whole series now, all on Nifty except this and Curveball.

We definitely need more of the Avalon time--and I vote/plead for a multi-part story over a single chapter!  We have the potential drama of Chad's mom and King Oriens, settling in and maybe checking on the other worlds outside Sol system, and saving the frozen Terrans at a future date---in addition to getting those children born.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Okay, read the whole series now, all on Nifty except this and Curveball.

We definitely need more of the Avalon time--and I vote/plead for a multi-part story over a single chapter!  We have the potential drama of Chad's mom and King Oriens, settling in and maybe checking on the other worlds outside Sol system, and saving the frozen Terrans at a future date---in addition to getting those children born.

I hoped you enjoyed the ride!

That was pretty much where I would take a epilogue. It wouldn't be long maybe 8 or 9k words, but it would be a proper send off. I have a tentative idea right now I just have to fine tune it. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I’m just going to hope you see this but I’ve literally been searching high and low for a way to contact you 💀 sis you’ve literally disappeared off the face of the earth and I really hope you’re okay! Maybe the sky will fall isn’t on amazon anymore and that’s my favorite book so I hope you come back soon 😭 also if you could update Pretend Anti Boyfriend I would literally cry lolololol

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..