Jump to content
    xTony
  • Author
  • 9,361 Words
  • 2,221 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Heaven's Trumpet - 7. Long March Forward


[Chapter 7]


Spots danced across my vision as painfully bright light blinded the entire room from sight. I rubbed my eyes and then jerked as a hand grabbed my arm. I squinted at Solaris’ visor covered face. Even half blinded I could see the blood dripping from a gash across his temple.

“We have to get out of here,” Solaris said, looking around quickly. “The light is about to clear in the next minute.”

Adam! I thought as hard as I could, hoping that he could pick it up with his telepathy. I was never great at mental disciplines back in Atlantis. If you can hear me, throw these bastards out of here!

On it, I heard in my head, loud and clear, followed by a surge of warmth and a strong feeling of determination.

Through the fading light I witnessed Adam, one hand in the air, palm forward and fingers slightly curled. He drove his arm forward as if pushing something and a great wave of telekinetic force caught the gray garbed figures and their leader flat footed. They were flung through the open door as if caught by the winds of a furious hurricane. I spun around to the hologram standing next to the console.

“Lan, I need that door shut now!”

The AI closed his eyes and the door slammed shut even as the intruders regained their footing. I clenched the stone tightly in my hand then took a deep breath to calm my heart that was close to beating out of my chest.

“Warlock, can you open a portal?” the Executioner asked, watching the door that was currently glowing red hot in its center. “That door isn’t made of tritium like the blast door. They’ll be through it in three minutes max.”

“There’s no way I can open a portal back to Earth in that amount of time. I’m good, but I’m not that good!”

“Unless you want us to die here then I suggest you think of something!” Solaris snapped, frowning at the door that was getting progressively redder.

I twisted my hand and sent the Key of Power into subspace storage. It was safer there for now. I came to a decision with a nod.

“Okay then.” I sounded more determined than I felt. “I can try to teleport us back. Portaling will take too long.”

The Executioner sent me a wary look. “Didn’t you say earlier teleporting had a higher risk than traveling by portal?”

“Yes, but it’s also faster,” I countered with a fierce look. “We don’t have time for this. Everybody grab hands and form a circle.”

They must have heard the tone in my voice because they didn’t hesitate to follow the command. Thank goodness because we really didn’t have time. The door started to shake and smoke drifted from its melting center. I glanced at Lan.

“Terminate holographic interface as soon as we leave,” I said to the holo-man, simultaneously drawing in the needed power for the spell. “I’ll see you at the outpost back on Earth.”

This was going to be as risky as having sex with a hooker without a condom. My magic reacted like an old friend and fell upon us like a warm blanket. Our forms glowed bright electric blue, the color that usually dominated my magics. I took a deep breath and concentrated. One mistake and our atoms would be scattered across the universe.

There was a low hiss and the door literally liquefied into red hot twisted slag. The red eyed man stepped through the wreckage. Our eyes met as he lifted his hand toward us.

“Four warriors from a long dead civilization.” The man sneered. “Is this all that stands in our way? Pathetic.”

Mauve light gathered in his palm coalescing into a lethal sphere of crackling energy.

“Caeles Transporto!” I shouted.

The world blurred and our bodies phased out of this dimension. Darkness and light became one for a long moment as we moved through time and space. My feet touched solid ground again with a sudden lurch. I promptly fell to my hands and knees then vomited up my lunch. Nausea settled firmly in my stomach. Dizziness swept through my head making me see double.

“I never want to do that again,” Omega groaned, holding a hand to his head. He staggered over in my direction and helped me to stand up.

“Sorry, I didn’t say it wasn’t going to be pleasant,” I muttered with a shaky smile.

The Executioner helped Solaris steady on his feet. We all looked a little pale and shaken but thankfully alive. So go team me. I looked around our surroundings for the first time. We stood on a sandy beach in broad daylight. Swimsuit clad people gawked at us. I managed a half wave at their flabbergasted faces. My hand fell once I got a good look at the buildings in the distance. One looked really familiar and not in a good way.

“Um,” I mumbled, pointing in the distance. “Is that the Sydney Opera House?”

The Executioner gasped. “And that’s the Sydney Harbour Bridge.”

Solaris groaned. “Really, Chad? You landed us in Australia!”

I shrugged sheepishly to their incredulous stares. “Oops.”

“At least we’re not dead,” Omega said finally, touching my arm.

I beamed at him, pleased he had my back. “Which is always a good thing.”

I trailed off as something nagged at me. At the back of my mind, an insistent voice was screaming in warning. I looked at the space where we fell, tracing it with my senses and the tendrils of warmth brushed over it, seeing beyond the capability of normal sight.

“Warlock, what’s going on?” asked the Executioner.

I looked at them and opened my mouth to reply. Then snapped it closed it again when I got a good look at Solaris. The blond was waving to the onlookers... was he striking poses for cameras?

“Please get your boyfriend before I bury him in the sand.”

Solaris heard me, as was my intention, and smiled uncaringly. “We have the Key of Power and there’s no bad guys, so I think we’re alright. I’ll just conjure a bubble and fly us home. No big deal.”

A frown formed on my face. Silly rabbit. “It’s about to get really serious. I managed to teleport us here but it was sloppy. It left a scar in space. It takes a while to heal naturally but those skinwalkers on Mars know magic just as I do, and they can follow that scar like a trail...”

“Leading the Red Eyed Man and his gang right here,” Omega whispered, his eyes snapping to the air that suddenly flashed with a bright terrifying mauve light.

From the light fell a dozen figures we thought left behind on a dead world. Their leader smoothed out a wrinkle in his robes and glared at me with those devil red eyes, smirking.

“I believe you have something that I need, kids,” said the Red Eyed Man. He flicked his wrist and the ground beneath us exploded.

Screams echoed in the air as we were tossed in every direction. Dirt and stone cut into my skin and I fell hard on my back. I rolled away as Red Eyes foot slammed into the ground where I once lay.

“Get out of here!” I screamed at the bystanders, who were watching the battle. A majority even had their phones out recording.

After watching the fight turn into a full scale battle before they decided a war zone wasn’t the best place to be. The air was alight as dark magic and celestial energies clashed. I charged up my hands and placed them in an imitation gun, pointer fingers aimed at the Red Eyed Man stomping toward me.

“Give me the Key of Power, boy,” he demanded, fanged teeth sharp and glinting with saliva.

I narrowed my eyes. “Come and get it!” I charged up magic. “Widow Maker!”

Violet light exploded from my fingers with a deafening boom. The recoil actually sent me stumbling off balance as the solid beam raced downrange at the speed of light, carving smoking trenches in the earth in its wake. The attack slammed into the man’s chest, staggering him momentarily before he regained his footing to push against the ray of annihilation.

With a roar of fury, he stepped out of the path of the beam and brought his hands together in a great clap. Visible waves of sound smacked into me and I covered my ears as every nerve in my head burned in agony.

I lifted my leg and slammed my right foot on the ground. The earth shuddered and quaked, and the Red Eyed Man watched in confusion as the ground fell away around his feet. The land cracked and a yawning chasm opened into an endless black void. A skinwalker lost his balance and fell into the dark depths but Red Eyes levitated in mid air, his arms folded and face fixed into an intense look.

“Impressive.” He noted as he floated to stable land. “I see you’re living up to your myth as the champion of magic.”

I clenched my fists, watching him closely. “I know all about you skinwalkers. I know you’re called the Unrelenting and you’re part of the Order of the Dying Star.”

“I’m the Black Pope of Damnation,” the man stated, smiling at me in a way that made me think of monsters in shadows. “Our ways can be yours too. You have the power for magic. Join us in the Witchery Way and taste true power.”

I made a face. “Ew. Eat people and wear their skin? I don’t think so.”

“It’s foolish to stand in our way!” The Black Pope was suddenly angry, red eyes gleaming with flickering hellfire. “It’s only a matter of time before we gather all three Keys. Then all will know the blissful horror that is our lord.”

“Cut the crap,” I shot back. “All you have is one Key. I’ll be damned if you even get two of them.”

His hands blurred and I mirrored the attack. Suddenly the air between us became alive. His mauve light tangled around arcs of electric blue. Gritting my teeth I pushed against his power. The space around us hummed as our magic sped up the atoms in the air. Lightning flickered and crackled around our bodies, as the smell of burned ozone grew thick.

“I’m the champion of magic!” I shouted, narrowing my eyes. “Prince of Atlantis, and your undoing. You will not get the Key of Power this day.”

My voice sounded richer and stronger, a vague accent in my tone that I recognized from Prince Emry. Solaris was abruptly shoved near the warring magic and the coil of light missed him by inches as I hurriedly disengaged.

The Red Eyed Man raised his arms and behind him, the ocean bubbled and churned like it was in the middle of a great storm. From the twisted maelstrom, an enormous arm exploded outward from its watery depths. The elemental construct surged toward me with a grand gesture from the Black Pope.

“Phoenix, child of the flame, lover of death, protect thy brother,” I incanted quickly, letting magic taint my words so it reached beyond this plane and into the in-between.

A massive bird of flames came to life in front of me, shielding me with its fiery outstretched wings. It gave a challenging cry to the gigantic arm as it descended with its hand flat, ready to crush anything in its path. It didn’t get the chance. Steam billowed forth as the phoenix released a torrent of immolating flame and outright disintegrated the construct into a fine mist.

I banished the fire guardian and glared at the enraged Black Pope. “Like I said, you’re not getting the Key of Power.”

“It will take more than a songbird to dissuade me!” He whipped out his arm.

Purple balls of fire shot from his palms in quick succession. I smacked aside the first four of them like paper balls, and the last five splashed across the invisible shield that I conjured before me. Not good enough. I mastered the elementals at an early age. If he wanted to beat me then it would take more than that.

I snatched a hair from my hair and whispered, “Champion Chain.”

The blond strand lengthened, hardened, and took on a golden glow as it became a magic infused whip. The gold cord whipped through the air, a flailing tentacle of light magic. It slapped against the Black Pope of Damnation and I gasped as his form wavered and then vanished. An illusion. Shit!

Something struck the side of my head, followed by a fist to my stomach with enough force to knock me clear off my feet. I rolled on the ground as the world righted itself, feeling the aches in my gut and skull compete for which one hurt the most. It was a tie.

Red eyes glared into mine when my vision righted itself. I raised my arms and didn’t say a word or an incantation as those long hands reached toward my neck. Power blasted from my hands in two lances of crystal blue light. There was no defense at the point blank rage. The attacks hit home and the Red Eyed Man cried out, blood spraying as energy seared into his chest, slicing and cauterizing skin as it went.

A prime scream of pure anger and frustration tore from my lips. The burning blue light suddenly swelled fueled by my emotions, gaining strength and launched the Black Pope into the air. His screaming form rocketed all the way to the other end of the beach over half a mile away.

Fingers gripped my arm and hauled me up. I looked into Omega’s worried face. He was bleeding from a cut on his upper lip, and there was a large rip across the right side of his armored suit revealing bruised skin.

He placed his hands carefully under my chin to study my head wounds. “Are you okay?”

I ran my hand over the tear in his suit. “I should be asking you that.”

“It’s nothing a good night’s rest won’t fix,” he replied, resting his hands protectively over my hips.

I took my first real look around the beach since the fight started. The ground was scorched in some parts, sand turned to glass under the heat of power, blood pooled in multiple craters, and the bodies. Bodies, torn, bleeding, even cleaved in half with guts and gore strewn far and wide, littered the sandy beach. I breathed in relief seeing Solaris limping, being supported by an equally battered Executioner.

“Kicking ass and taking names is what we do best,” Solaris rasped out. His right cheek was bleeding profusely.

I grinned tiredly. “You’ve never lied about that.”

The ground rumbled beneath our feet and cracked open with an explosion of glass shards that shot up like a geyser. We screamed as the glass cut into skin, knocking us off our feet and bleeding from countless counts. Ruby colored light rained from the sky I hastily threw up a shield around us as the earth burned where the light hit. I glared at the sight of the Red Eyed Man standing before us. His chest was a bloody mess and his whole body was smoking from my previous attack.

A blur zoomed by me and the Executioner was suddenly in the Black Pope’s face. He reared back his arm with a savage yell and unleashed it with everything he had. The hit would most likely blow through his skull as if it was paper mache. He did after all have enough strength to bench press a car. It never made contact. His fist struck an invisible barrier protecting the Red Eyed Man.

“Nice try.” The Black Pope smirked. “This is how it’s done.”

I didn’t see his arm move until his hand connected against the Executioner’s face. He rocketed backward like a speeding comet. His landing was brutal as he skipped across the grass several times before finally crumbling into a ball. He didn’t get back up.

Without warning, Solaris lit up like a burning star. Omega jerked us away from the glowing boy as the champion of light growled in anger, his hands going to his chest to form a triangle. His visor was gone and green eyes were dark with fury as orange and red light gathered within the triangle shape his hands formed.

“Nobody touches my boyfriend!” Solaris yelled, bringing his arms forward. “EYE OF RA!”

A massive force of light and energy erupted from his hands. The Red Eyed Man’s eyes widened and he gestured with his hands, casting a red shield a split second before contact. The plasma battered into the shield and cracks appeared in the scarlet colored barrier. There was a loud crash like glass breaking and the attack consumed him. The waves of plasma intensified until it became a beam of destructive power that drowned him

With a roar of rage the Black Pope suddenly rolled away from the attack, looking as if he walked through a volcanic explosion. It was sickening. His body was mangled and bleeding, burned, smoking but alive. Those red eyes upon his half melted face glared at us, and they promised retribution.

“You think you’ve won.” His voice was garbled but no less menacing. He gestured at his wounds. “This is nothing. With my master’s power this will be healed and I will return more powerful than before. Heaven’s Trumpet will sound little boys and it will be glorious.”

I narrowed my eyes. “We’ll see.”

He looked right at me and chills ran down my spine. “From the void it rests, it comes, it conquers. All shall taste fear. The universe shall weep in despair.”

Those words from my dream again! My heart stopped as shock filled every pore of my body. He chuckled at my stunned face and took great pleasure in giving a jaunty little wave before disappearing in a flicker of dark purple light.

I swallowed heavily. “Got to admit. Dude can bring the scary.”

“And the intense,” the Executioner quietly agreed.

Omega pointed to the shoreline. “Guys looks like we got company,”

We looked and in the distance, noticeably a good safe distance away, people had camcorders, cameras and phones aimed at us. I groaned. No doubt we were going to wind up on the news, social media and the front page of every newspaper across the globe. I hope they at least got my good side. At the moment it was the side with less blood.

“Alright boys, let’s head home,” I sighed, nodding at Solaris.

To his credit, he only gave one wave to the still gathering crowd. He brought up his arms and an orange bubble formed around us with a snap before hurtling into the sky at supersonic speed. I gazed down at the people and city that grew progressively smaller.

Yep. We’re definitely going to make the news.

***

“You boys did a fine job.”

I beamed at Nathaniel. It always warmed me up inside when he gave praise. Maybe because it was so rare when he actually meant it. This was one of those times. We crowded around the conference table in Operations all eyes trained on the blood red diamond resting on its surface.

“It really is beautiful,” Ryan murmured.

“It’s hard to believe it has limitless energy,” Kilian said. “Well, until it’s combined with the other two Keys and then it’s just endgame.”

“We just have to make sure they don’t get the other one,” Adam countered.

That was easier said than done. “If we can find it and we could secure it first. But I have no idea what ‘hidden in plain sight’ means. The Key of Time and Space can be a number of things.”

Killian’s eyes widened and then suddenly he smiled widely. “Wait! Maybe it’s a person.” He slowly turned in my direction, looking at me suspiciously. “Maybe it’s you. You do have quite the grasp at manipulating space and time.”

I rolled my eyes. “Please, Encyclopedia Brown. Don’t quit your day job. This isn’t an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I’m not a Key and I can’t help if I’m that damn good. And it helps to be the avatar of magic. Try again.”

“I say we can’t be sure until we run a few... invasive tests,” he suggested, grinning evilly.

I shook my head sympathetically. “It’s sad that blonds like you are the reason why the rest of us will never rise above the stereotype.”

“Smarter than you.” Killian crossed his arms and smirked.

I gave him a yeah right look. “Bitch, please. You can barely count to twelve without using your fingers.”

“I can count twelve kicks to your ribs well enough.”

A matching smirk tugged at my own lips. “You would be dead before you could land the first kick.”

Killian took a step forward. “Let’s test that hypothesis.”

A piercing whistle echoed through the room and we all turned to Adam. With his hands on his hips he leveled us both with a particularly sharp stare. He looked like a stern professor. I may or may not be into that.

“We’ve just got back from freaking Mars and have one of the keys to Heaven’s Trumpet. And we’ve managed to hang on to it too, after a hell of a fight.” He took a deep breath and his glare turned pleading. “So please, can you two just get along for the rest of the day? We should be going to Disneyland or something not fighting. We did damn good today.”

I couldn’t resist sending Killian a nasty look. “See now you went and got my boyfriend all worked up. Thanks, Rainbow Brite.”

“Go fuck yourself, Houdini!”

Adam threw his hands up and returned to his chair. “I don’t even know why I try.”

“It was a good effort,” Ryan muttered.

Nathaniel cleared his throat before we could go another round. “I don’t have the patience for anymore foolery.” His tone brooked no room for arguments. I flinched under those eyes that were flat and disapproving. “We have things to discuss. Now have a seat, gentlemen.”

I turned my back on Killian, effectively dismissing him. I was done with him for the day anyway. Adam narrowed his eyes as I took the seat next to him. I pouted and he didn’t appear to be moved. Ouch.

Aw, baby, I thought in his direction. His telepathy was strongest amongst the Atlanteans, so it was no doubt he would hear it. Don’t be like that.

Adam looked ahead as the others began the debriefing. You suck.

I so do not, I thought back. You would know.

He snorted and waved off the confused looks sent in his direction, Jerk. You know what I meant.

The exasperation was clear even mentally.

I can’t believe that you kept arguing with Killian. You stopped for Nathaniel but not for me.

I winced. You know his eyes get all dark and intense when we irritate him. It’s creepy!

You’re still a jerk, Adam shot back, glancing at me a slyly.

I grinned knowing that he really wasn’t mad. He was just playing up the moment for kicks. It was so like him. I’m your jerk though, and you have to put up with me forever and ever.

Mmmm... that sounds perfect.

A full smile was on his face now as bright as the morning sun. I couldn’t stop my own smile from becoming just as wide. I couldn’t help it. He was just too freaking adorable sometimes.

Ryan watched us with raised eyebrows. “Are you two about to make out?”

I came back to reality with a lurch. Both of us were blushing cherry red. “Sorry. Just—”

“Reliving the end scene from To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before,” Killian cut in.

I made puppy dog eyes at Nathaniel. “Please let me put a silencing spell on him. It benefits all of us!”

Nathaniel sighed, running a hand down his face. “For the last time, no. Honestly Chad, you ask that question at least once a week.”

“And I’ll keep asking until you give in,” I replied with a shrug. A dreamy sigh left my lips. “It’s only a matter of time. You can’t say no forever.”

He smiled at me, perfect white teeth showing. “Watch me.” He steepled his fingers. “Now to get back on subject. You called upon the Atlantis core AI in the memory banks from our mainframe?”

Ryan adjusted his glasses. “It worked surprisingly well. In fact, we should be able to call up the holographic interface now.” He looked up at the ceiling. “Lan, could you please appear.”

Scrolling blue glyphs of Atlantean script flowed downward from the ceiling in a winding funnel. The script condensed and formed into the robed digital man. He opened his eyes, expression one of perfect calm.

“How may I be of service, Chosen Executioner?”

I looked at Nathaniel and noticed he had gone pale. He stared at the hologram, his face fixed into one of wonder and such profound sadness that it stole my breath.

“Nathaniel, are you alright?”

His smile turning bittersweet. “I never called up the program because...” he trailed off, and then continued after a moment’s pause. “It’s just that the image Lan is based on was a friend of mine. It brings back memories.”

We all traded surprised stares. “We didn’t know, Nathaniel,” Adam apologized.

The advisor shook his head, waving off the apology. “It’s alright. You boys didn’t know. I’ll get over it.”

“If you’re sure,” I said slowly, watching him carefully.

He nodded, half smiling. “Seriously, it’s okay. I’m sure in time his image will become a comfort.”

“Lan, do you mind showing footage from your logs starting from the point the Key’s chamber was opened,” Nathaniel said, speaking to the holo-man who nodded and then closed his eyes.

When he opened them his brown eyes took on a blue sheen. Two rays of blue light shot from his eyes, hitting the spot right above the table and a digital projection came to life in the air. In detailed shades of blue, the scene from the inner chamber of the weapons locker on Mars played out.

Contrary to popular belief it wasn’t funny watching Solaris being thrown into a wall by the Red Eyed Man the second time around. I winced at the thud that sounded just as bad the second time. Killian winced too and rubbed his head. We met eyes and there was a spark of sympathy-friendship?-I wasn’t sure. The moment was broken and we looked away quickly.

I looked at Adam and he was smirking. You two fight being friends so hard.

A sweet smile tugged at my lips. Keep up that little theory and I’ll kick you in the balls. No joke.

Oh, I love it when you talk all dirty, darling, Adam’s amused thought came through loud and clear.

I poked him in the ribs and turned back to the conversation taking place. Nathaniel was studying the image of the Red Eyed Man that had been frozen mid frame.

“I suppose this is the leader of the Unrelenting,” Nathaniel muttered, rubbing his knuckles.

I nodded. “He must be and whoever they worship must pack quite a lot of power. This guy shrugged off most of my magic like I was a David Blaine. I got some good hits in but he’s tough.”

“Really tough,” Killian backed me up. “I hit him with plasma and power that should have melted him into goo, but he lived through it. He looked a mess but still...his resistance is unnatural.”

“I suppose that kind of power comes from whatever being they worship,” Nathaniel said thoughtfully. “Early Dawn told us that the Order of the Dying star worships It that Came Before...”

Adam sighed. “That could be any number of beings. Without an actual name, we’re stuck on that front. We still don’t know why they want Heaven’s Trumpet.”

“Power,” I muttered, looking up from my hands. “It’s always about power. But they have to know that activating Heaven’s Trumpet will kill us all. I don’t see the point.”

“Question is how did they even find you on Mars?” Nathaniel asked, sending us into a thoughtful silence.

“They did show up as soon we opened the inner chamber,” Ryan pointed out.

I nodded, thinking the same thing. “You’re right.”

“Maybe they were already on Mars,” Adam reasoned. It sounded like he was just throwing an idea out. “Maybe they suspected the Key of Power was there, and our presence tipped them off.”

Nathaniel reached across the table and picked up the stone. “All the more reason we should get this down to the vault. Who knows how they found you, but I don’t want them finding it again.”

“Looks like its one to one right now,” Killian said, gripping Ryan’s hand.

Nathaniel ran a hand through his dark hair looking suddenly tired. “Let’s just hope that we’re the ones who win the race.”

I smiled thinly. Otherwise, the results would be death for not just every sentient being, but the universe itself.

Endgame.

***

I stared blankly at the comic book in my lap. It was the old edition of the Ultimates and I couldn’t even enjoy it. No matter how normal everything seemed it was truly anything but. The universe might go boom and only the four of us stood in the way. With that kind of pressure on my shoulders, it was hard to concentrate on anything when I was alone with my thoughts. I glanced at the clock and the red numbers displayed that it was a little after midnight.

I jumped as my phone chimed with a text message. I reached across my bed and picked it up and snorted at the screen.

baby, if i was ur bread would u b my butter?

I shook my head, smiling. Even at almost one in the morning Adam still didn’t turn off his cuteness. Right now I bet he was at home sitting on his bed, wearing that adorable grin immensely proud of himself.

Chuckling softly, I wrote back.

yes always yes. have my babies?

The reply came almost ten seconds later.

i dont think thats possible but we can try and try :)

It was a joke but I couldn’t resist the tightening of my lower anatomy that was very interested in trying. Was it getting hot in here? I tugged at my shirt collar. The prospect of having sex with Adam had been weighing on my mind a lot the last few weeks. I was fine with waiting for the right moment, but if it didn’t come soon I was probably going to have to resort to desperate measures. My hand was great and all but my boyfriend was sin on legs, and every primal part of me wanted to claim him as mine.

I licked my lips and began typing out a reply when the window lifted on its own. The phone fell to the bed and my hands blazed with living fire as I summoned the element to the material plane. Kevin stepped through the window and I quenched the flames. Luckily he was too busy trying to get his footing that he didn’t notice the act.

“Please Kevin come on in,” I said dryly, watching him shut the window.

He was dressed in only a pair of black athletic shorts and a black wife beater. I raised my eyebrow at his sheepish expression. It wasn’t often that I saw that look.

“Sorry for just dropping in,” Kevin said, apologetically. “I was having trouble sleeping. Bad dreams.”

A nagging thought formed. “Were you watching Air Bud again before bed?”

“I couldn’t help it,” he replied with a tired smile. “It’s like a horrible train wreck that I can’t turn away from.” Kevin shuddered. “That dog creeps me the hell out. Basketball I was sort of okay with, and then he went and became super pooch and that’s when it got creepy.”

I rolled my eyes. I don’t know how many times we were going to have to go through this.

“The Air Bud franchise are not snuff films. And you really should never watch one of those movies again, no matter how much you just can’t turn away.”

“Easy for you to say,” Kevin shot back, crossing his arms. “The dog doesn’t scare the shit out of you.”

A sphinx like smile worked itself across my face. “There are worse things in the world to be afraid of.”

His brown eyes filled with disbelief. “This from the boy who is terrified of cats?”

“I’m not terrified,” I denied, outraged. “The words you’re looking for is actively vigilant!”

Kevin’s eye twitched. “It wasn’t real. Let it go!”

I glared at him and pulled down my shirt collar to show my neck. “I know what happened! It’s real and here’s the scar to prove it!”

Kevin pointed his finger, rather dramatically I thought, at my neck. “There’s nothing there!”

I hurriedly pushed up the shirt, giving him the evil eye. “Obviously you just have to get really close to see it.”

“Pansy,” Kevin muttered, jumping on the bed. He landed awkwardly on my side giving me a blinding grin. “Move over. Don’t be a cover hog this time.”

I smirked. “I’ll hog the covers all I want. They’re mine. Keyword being mine.”

“Don’t be selfish.” He settled down and laid back with his arms propped behind his head. “So I called you earlier a few times and you didn’t pick up. Where were you?”

I froze. Think. Think. Think. “Uh, I was doing homework.” Oh good one, Chad. “I didn’t hear it go off, or maybe it’s dead.”

Kevin cocked his head with a confused frown worn on his face. “Why are you lying?”

“What makes you say that?” My heart hammered loudly in my throat. How did he know?

“I don’t know how to pinpoint it,” Kevin explained, watching me intently. “I can just tell. Why did you lie?”

Damn it. “It’s personal, Kevin.”

He sat up and I looked away from his hurt stare. I didn’t mean to say that, but I couldn’t and wouldn’t lie to him again. I was already feeling like crap as it is.

Brown eyes went flat and then neutral. “Fine if you don’t want to tell me. It’s okay.”

I laid my hand on his arm, practically choking on guilt. “Kevin, come on. I don’t mean to keep things from you-”

“But you have,” Kevin interrupted, rolling over so I couldn’t see his face. “You think I haven’t noticed, but for the last year you’ve been different.”

I could almost feel the sadness radiating from him. How could I have been so stupid to think I could fool the one person who knew me best? I thought I had been cleverly hiding my increasing time spent killing monsters, stopping demonic invasions, and as of recently going to other planets. I wasn’t as slick as I thought.

“You’re right,” I finally admitted. “For the last year, I’ve been keeping something from you.”

Kevin rolled over and looked at me expectantly. “I knew something was off. I thought we were growing apart or something, but it’s not that. What’s going on?”

“I can’t tell you. This secret doesn’t just involve me.”

I wanted to tell him, but this was bigger than me. The others hadn’t told anyone their secret. It wouldn’t be fair if I ignored protocol and did whatever I wanted.

“I want to tell you,” I hastily explained, flinching at the hurt that shone clearly in his eyes. “I just have to get with the others first to see if it’s okay if you know.”

Kevin laughed but it was without humor, empty as a light bulb. He shook his head and then smiled miserably. “I’ve known you my whole life but I swear sometimes it’s like you’re a different person. A year ago, you wouldn’t have hesitated to tell me something even if someone swore you to secrecy.”

The bitterness in his tone floored me. I was feeling guilty but I didn’t know this had been eating at him for long. Maybe since the beginning.

“I already told you I will tell you if I can,” I replied tiredly. “There’s nothing I can do. I promise that it’s not my choice.”

Kevin sighed and flicked his gaze away. “I’m sorry. I’m just not used to all this. We used to tell each other everything, and there wasn’t a day where we didn’t see each other. Now you’ve got a boyfriend and new friends and I hardly see you anymore.”

The sincerity in his tone broke my heart. I reached over and ran my fingers through his dark hair brushing against his shoulders. I gave the locks in my grip a good tug eliciting a small smile from his lips. It was a gesture from our childhood that neither of us had ever forgotten.

“I forgot I got my hate of sharing from you.” I chuckling softly.

Kevin kicked me in the shin, fighting to keep from smiling fully. “Stop trying to make me laugh. Serious moment is serious.”

I busted out laughing. “You’re so dumb.” I kicked him back and looked at him seriously. “You know it all comes down to just you and me. You’ve been there my whole life and you aren’t going anywhere. We’re like epic. Drake and Josh. Superman and Batman. Lindsay Lohan and Lindsay Lohan.”

He snorted and slowly smiled. “Together we’re unstoppable.”

“There’s the smile,” I grinned then poked his chin with my finger. “We cool?”

“I’m cool, you’re fine.”

I punched him in the arm and pulled the blankets up to cover me. We fought over the blankets for a few minutes, and the inevitable pillow fight that followed defused whatever tension that still lingered. I rolled over drawing the blankets tight around my body. Sleep came easily after the day I had. All I had to do was close my eyes and let go of the stress that lingered between my shoulder blades. And I fell asleep...


I stood on a cliff overlooking Centennial.

I was dreaming. I knew it but it all seemed so real. Everything from the blue sky to the grass at my feet, to the air that I was breathing and the wind caressing my skin.

“It does not possess the beauty of Atlantis,” said a voice behind me. “Yet it is glorious in its own ways.”

I turned around and found Prince Emrys walking toward me. I still wasn’t used to seeing my face older and worn by someone other than me. But at least he wore it well. There were wisdom and strength in his blue eyes I had never seen in my own. He wore his princely clothes of silver and white with pride. It looked like a formal tuxedo but the cut was different. The sun glinted off the intricate circlet of white gold around his brow.

“The time of reckoning is almost at hand, my reincarnation,” state the prince.

I nodded, feeling underdressed in my pajamas. So typical. “I know. We have one Key and they’ve got one.”

“There is only one left, and it is the most precious of all,” Prince Emrys said, stepping to my side.

My mouth dropped open. “Do you know where it is?”

He smiled mysteriously. “The question should be, do you know where it is?”

I didn’t know where the last Key was. Was he trying to say that I should? I had a feeling that asking him would prove fruitless so I didn’t bother. I usually came out of dreams like these with more questions than answers.

“Unless you stop what is coming then all this will be destroyed.”

Tell me something I don’t know. “We’re doing the best we can.”

He looked at me, blue eyes heartbreakingly sad. “Are you ready for what is to come?”

A light exploded in the middle of the city, brighter than the sun. I threw up my hand as it built up, and then shot into the sky in a thick pillar of light. Scarlet overtook blue as the sky became red as blood. A ruinous emerald light fell from the sky in arcs of lightning, striking buildings and streets. Where it touched structures exploded and bridges collapsed, and blood rained from the sky as the apocalypse was truly at hand. I turned away from the horror of the end of the world and grabbed Prince Emrys’ arm.

“Is this Heaven’s Trumpet? Is this what will happen when it activates?” I demanded.

The Prince of Atlantis shook his head. “This is the goal of the Unrelenting. The skinwalkers know not the horror they truly worship, and what dreams of madness they cling to in the dark.” He closed his eyes and when he opened them they shined with a steely glint. “From the void it rests, it comes, it conquers. All shall taste fear. All shall despair.”

Cryptic much? What did that even mean? Hell, what did any of this mean? “So this isn’t Heaven’s Trumpet?”

Emrys took my hand and I followed his gaze to the clouds above that twisted and churned in a maelstrom of flashing light that oozed eldritch power. I dared not run my senses upon the sight. Already I could feel something unnatural pulsing behind the phenomenon. The part of my mind that was still primal warned me that I should look away and run. What lurked above was despair and terror personified. I shuddered under the vile power that fell from on high.

Was this unholy power the being the Order of the Dying Star worshipped? Why would anyone flirt with this force? My skin wanted to crawl off my body just to escape the taint.

The hand holding mine gripped tighter. “Heaven’s Trumpet will sound soon. Are you ready to make the hard choices?”

I snapped my head toward him, meeting his even stare. “What are you talking about?”

“You can stop this being, but Heaven’s Trumpet is unstoppable.”

“No!” I said, shaking my head. “There has to be a way to stop it.”

His eyes bored into mine. “Will you make the hard choices? The universe or love? Can you sacrifice love to save everyone and everything in existence?”

I couldn’t move. I was too stunned to even breathe. “W-what?”

"Blood, blood, blood, blood,” Prince Emrys said flatly. “My blood. Your blood. His blood. One, two, four, all into two, back into one."

I was starting to get real tired of all the vague answers and cryptic speech. It looked much cooler on television. When it came to my life then not so much.

“I’m not really understanding,” I tried to explain.

Prince Emrys’ blue eyes, so like my own, were infinitely weary. “You will.”

He closed his eyes, ignoring the furious wind and deafening thunder that continued from the clouds above. Something from it was coming. Whatever it was more evil than anything I had seen in this life. I knew it in my soul. Then I felt it at the same time as Prince Emrys. Together we turned toward the city where massive silver light began to coalesce. Haunting music that called to everything inside me sang at the edges of my being.

“The angels are singing,” Prince Emrys said reverently.

I nodded as some small piece of me understood exactly what he meant. “It comes-”

“Heaven’s Trumpet,” he finished softly.

The holy light grew impossibly bright and erupted forth in purifying waves. Everything it touched was destroyed and wiped from the universe. Atoms were scattered until they became meanwhiles and neverweres and then even less than that. Whatever the light engulfed suffered the same fate as it surged forward, consuming everything in sight.

Prince Emrys wrapped his arms around me. I whimpered as the light rushed over us and a scream tore from my lips feeling my very essence being ripped apart piece by piece. This was pain beyond pain.

I snapped awake with a great gasp of air. I sat up trying to suck as much air back into my lungs as possible. A hand landed on my arm and I was looking into Kevin’s emotionless face.

“Kevin?” I asked hesitantly.

The voice that replied was as emotionless as his face. “The universe or love? Sacrifices must be made. You can’t save everyone but you can save the world. Can you do what must be done?”


I screamed again and my eyes flew open. I fell off the bed landing on the carpet in a tangle of blankets. Sweat clung to my skin and my hair fell wet across my forehead. Just a dream. It was just a dream. I clutched at my chest, rubbing at the space above my heart.

“Chad, are you alright?” Kevin rubbed his eyes as his sleepy face appeared over the bed’s edge.

I cleared my throat forcing back nausea that threatened to consume me. “Yeah, I’m fine. I just had a bad dream.”

Kevin yawned loudly, regarding me with concern. “Sounds more like a nightmare.” He reached down and hauled me back onto the bed. “Are you sure you’re fine?”

“I’m sure.” I tried to smile reassuringly. “Go back to sleep, Kev.”

That was all he needed to hear because as soon as he closed his eyes it was lights out. I settled down beside him, but sleep didn’t come easily to me again. It wouldn’t this night. I doubted I would ever sleep right again. Not for a long time.

***

I frowned into the phone. The silence on the other end wasn’t expected.

“Adam, say something,” I urged.

I honked at a car that suddenly hit their brakes. I merged into the next lane and sped past them. People who drove badly on the highway usually irritated me, but my mind was elsewhere.

“I’m sorry, baby,” Adam said finally. “I just had to think about it. Your dreams are honestly starting to worry me.”

I switched the phone to the other ear. “But you agree with me about them being prophetic. It’s not all in my head.”

“No, no, I definitely believe that. They can’t be anything else but prophetic. They’re too cryptic and complex.”

I sighed into the phone. “Adam, I’m scared.”

“I would be worried if you weren’t,” he said gently. “But I know we’re going to win this.”

I smiled at his self assured tone. “How can you know that for sure?”

“Because I still have to marry you, and the world still has to be here for that to happen.”

The goofy smile that took over my face wasn’t my fault. Was it possible to love someone too much? Hell no. If it was even possible my love for him grew in that moment.

“Adam Caine.” My voice was thick with everything I was feeling. “I love you.”

I could hear his smile through the phone. “I love you too, for always.”

“For always,” I murmured back, turning down a residential street. “I’m almost to her house. How about we go out tonight? Just you and me.”

Adam laughed. He sounded delighted. “Why Chad Summers are you asking me out on a date?”

“Sounds like it,” I said, playing along. “If you play your cards right I might even buy you some milk duds.”

His breath got real low and my heart tripled its rhythm. “And if you’re a good boy I might even put out.”

“So pick me up at seven?” I squeaked out quickly, damning my vocal cords for the high pitch.

“On the dot,” Adam replied, still sounding so damn irresistible. “Bye, darling.”

“Bye.”

I turned off the phone and let it drop in the passenger seat. My boyfriend was cute most of the time, but when he wanted to be sexy somebody bring the hose because something was going to be set on fire. Currently, that fire existed in my lap.

Damn Adam for getting me all worked up on the phone like a call girl. I can’t lie and say I didn’t enjoy it. Even if we didn’t have sex tonight it was going to happen soon. The both of us were way too hot for each other, especially as of lately. The end of the universe was hanging above our heads like the Doom of Damocles might have something to do with that.

The house I was parked in front of was bigger than Killian’s and that was saying something. This was more Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous than MTV Cribs. This house was like the mansion that Nathaniel owned. I double checked the directions. Yep. This was the place.

I grabbed my backpack and hopped out of the car. I didn’t worry about locking it. This was near the edge of town and next to the sparkling Lexus and BMW and Range Rover’s on the street, my car wasn’t worth breaking into. I rang the doorbell and rocked back on my heels.

The door opened. Dressed more casually than I was used to seeing was Ian. The short running shorts and a plain white T shirt were a surprise. Not as surprising as his hair which wasn’t styled perfectly as it usually was. The blood red hair was dark and wavy and free of product. His green eyes went from warm to instantly cold as they fell upon me. Aw. Nice to see you too.

“What are you doing here?” Ian demanded.

I blinked innocently at him. “Gee, I don’t know. Maybe it’s because me and your sister are partners for an assignment at school, and we have to work on it. No. That couldn’t be the reason.”

Ian growled. Actually growled. Should I bring out the rabies shot? “Isabella isn’t here. No go back to hole you crawled out of. Just looking at you makes me itch.”

My eye twitched. Was he trying to say I’m dirty? “Look you Top Model wannabe, I already know Isabella is here she just texted me. Now let me in before I go all cage fighter on your ass.”

“This is how it’s going to go down,” Ian stated, leaning in close. “You will get off my property, or I’ll kick your ass and then call the cops and tell them you were robbing the place. You’re too pretty to be in jail. They’ll toss your ass up like a salad.”

Someone watched a little too much Oz. “Kicking my ass isn’t in the script, carrot top. I will lay you out. You sure you want to go for it? I will full on Iron Fist you.”

Ian was moved to the side and a tall middle aged man appeared at his shoulder. His black hair had the same wavy quality as Ian. His green eyes were darker and he filled out the tailored suit quite impressively. He and Nathaniel must shop at the same place.

The man looked at me first and then Ian. “Is there a problem here, son?”

Son? Oh great. Evil has a father. So this was Mr. Graison. I got to admit I can see where his kids got their looks from. The man was what they would call devilishly handsome.

“I’m here to see Isabella,” I said before Ian could badmouth me. “We have to work on a project for school.”

Mr. Graison raised an eyebrow at Ian and the boy ducked his head but moved aside from blocking the door. Mr. Graison gestured for me to come inside and I did simultaneously shooting Ian a supremely smug expression.

“My daughter's in the parlor,” Mr. Graison said. “I’ll show you the way.” He looked at Ian and the boy looked decidedly unpleasant to see me in his house. “Don’t you have homework to finish?”

Ian glared at me but answered respectfully, “Yes, Dad.”

“Well, go get to it. Follow me, young man,” said Mr. Graison.

He led me through the foyer and into the hallway. I felt a little intimidated walking next to the tall man. There was something about him that made me feel small and extremely shy. And everyone knows I was anything but shy.

“So...” I began, trying to break the silence. “Nice place you got here.”

How lame. I could kick myself.

The tiniest smile took over Mr. Graison’s face. “It serves its purpose.”

The parlor was a formal sitting room. Isabella sat at a long wooden table looking small in one of the tall high backed chairs. Her long red hair was plaited in a thick braid, and she looked up at me with green eyes alight with happiness.

“Hey, Isabella,” I greeted with a wave. I joined her at the table. “Are you ready to get started?”

I followed her hands as she signed quickly.

'Sure. Thanks for coming over.'

“I’ll leave you two to get to work,” Mr. Graison said, turning and leaving the room.

I grinned at Isabella. “I almost didn’t make it in. Your overprotective twin was up to his usual diabolical tricks.”

She rolled her eyes. 'He means well but he gets carried away'

I snorted. “That’s an understatement. So what do your parents do to afford this place?”

'My mom is gone. But Dad is head of the family business'

Wow. It was just the three of them in a house this big? “You guys teach any mutant classes in your spare time?”

She looked at me blankly.

I chuckled weakly. “X Men joke. It’s a big house... like Xavier’s mansion... And you’re still not getting it.”

'I’ve never seen those movies' she signed, shrugging at my bafflement.

I shook my head, making a disapproving noise in my throat. “You know nothing of your cultural heritage, do you?”

Isabella shrugged.

I sighed. “Where’s the bathroom?” She pointed up the stairs and I stood up, leaning against the chair. “When I come back be prepared to get schooled in a little Marvel mutant history.”

I left her giggling behind me. I jogged up the stairs and groaned as I was greeted by a hallway of doors. She hadn’t told me which door. It had to be one of these. I walked down the hall and opened one at random. Linen closet.

The next door I opened revealed a light blue painted room filled with soft music. What was that song? I unconsciously stepped further into the room listening intently to the softly playing music. A male voice sang over a guitar melody and it was beautiful.

I went to the stereo next to the bed and picked up the vinyl laid on top. The band adorning the cover eluded me, but I made a mental note to go buy this album. A door inside the room opened letting out a cloud of steam. Ian appeared in the cloudy doorway wearing just a small white towel.

Water dripped down his body, his chiseled muscles glistening with wetness. Hard abs flexed and relaxed with every breath he took. I traced the water’s path up well formed pecs, up the neck, until I met Ian’s eyes. They were bright and filled with something unreadable as he smirked at me.

“See something you like?” Ian asked, crossing his arms.

I busted out laughing. “God, no!”

Ian smirk didn’t even dim. In fact, he walked toward me with the towel loosening with his movement.

“Let’s just put this whole animosity thing behind us,” I said. Who says I couldn’t be the bigger man. “I know you don’t like me hanging around your sister. And I sure don’t like you around my boyfriend, thirsting on him.”

Ian stepped uncomfortably close to me. “I don’t want your boyfriend.”

I let out a loud exhale and grinned. “Well good.”

“I want you,” he countered, eyes shining brightly.

And he leaned in and kissed me.

Copyright © 2018 xTony; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Wow 6
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Question:

WHAT!?

Da FUCK!?

OK this deserves a taser to the face and groin...not specifically in that order.

And I have a bad feeling about a couple of things.

1 the money that Ian's family has?

2 who's being sacrificed to Cthulhu?(third key)

3 is the magic number

4 the mental image of the black Pope is the neimoidian from the star Wars franchise

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great story but I shore didn't see the ending coming .S Ian has the hots  for Chad. That is going to make things so complicated and funny on many fronts. What a sarcastic charmer the boy is!

Link to comment
On 9/29/2018 at 1:00 AM, Sky said:

Uh... Well that ending was a bit unexpected...

 

I remember I was shocked by the curveball when I wrote it.

 

On 9/29/2018 at 1:11 AM, Hellsheild said:

Question:

WHAT!?

Da FUCK!?

OK this deserves a taser to the face and groin...not specifically in that order.

And I have a bad feeling about a couple of things.

1 the money that Ian's family has?

2 who's being sacrificed to Cthulhu?(third key)

3 is the magic number

4 the mental image of the black Pope is the neimoidian from the star Wars franchise

6

 

Your bad feelings list there is pretty accurate. That means you've been paying attention!

 

On 9/29/2018 at 3:20 AM, chris191070 said:

Wow I wasn’t expecting that ending. Adam will kill Ian for making a move on his boyfriend.

 

You guessed it!

 

On 9/29/2018 at 9:36 AM, Wesley8890 said:

Well hell didn't see that coming. God help carrot top.

 

Prayers for him :)

 

On 9/29/2018 at 1:13 PM, bubby1234 said:

I think that Kevin is the third key.

 

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... :)

 

 

20 hours ago, Bushman60 said:

Great story but I shore didn't see the ending coming .S Ian has the hots  for Chad. That is going to make things so complicated and funny on many fronts. What a sarcastic charmer the boy is!

 

It was such a little twist I couldn't help adding it in. You'll dig the next part.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..